Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Polishing alloy - getting a satin finish

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-09, 12:19 PM
markk900

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 661 Times in 351 Posts

Thought I'd get the collective wisdom from this crowd on how to replicate the satiny grey/silver alloy like it came from the factory.

The situation I have is this: I have a set of bars where the center (exposed) section has the zig-zag scratches on one side from being taken out of a stem (won't say how they got there ). I can easily polish out the scratches using finer and finer grit sandpaper and then the normal aluminum polishes, but what I get is that highly gleaming, almost chrome look instead of the original satin look.

Any suggestions or do I just highly polish the unmarked side to match?

This has been a question I have had for years, having polished many a motorcycle part...never did figure it out so thought it was time to ask!

Mark
Old 03-08-09, 12:24 PM
Panthers007
Great State of Varmint

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
The best metal-polish I've found is Simichrome Polish. It's from Germany and it's serious stuff. Does a beautiful job of restoring old components to looking like they just came from the factory. If the original finish is still there, it should find it. Worth a try - or give it to someone else. Google will find a source.

Good luck!
Old 03-08-09, 12:31 PM
Old Fat Guy
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
The original finish was anodized, you can't replicate that at home.
Old 03-08-09, 12:33 PM
WNG
Spin Forest! Spin!

Bikes: I used to have many. And I Will again.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Hmmm, most satin finishes are anodizing. Polishes won't provide a satin look. I think a coarse sand paper of 600 grit to 1000 grit is the closest I've come to a 'satin' finish. Simichrome will make it luster like a chrome.
Likes For WNG:
Old 03-08-09, 12:58 PM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 26 Posts
I actually read your post.

I wanted a satin finish on these aluminum fenders because I didn't want them to look like chrome. I just rubbed them lightly with 0000 steel wool and then waxed them. The wax prevents fingerprinting.

Last edited by Grand Bois; 03-08-09 at 01:02 PM.
Likes For Grand Bois:
Old 03-08-09, 01:17 PM
markk900

Thanks all - appreciate the advice. I've got several favourite polishes (simichrome is one, nev-r-dull another, alumi-nu is the third), so that isn't the real issue. Dirtdrop confirmed what I thought - use some very fine steel wool to simulate the satin look. (Love the Carlton....just gorgeous....)

I'll see what I can do....I needed to sand with fine grit paper to dull the scratches, so now I'll try the wool and see what happens....at worst, I'll either leave it as is (most people probably wouldn't notice) or polish the whole darn thing to a consistent finish....

Thanks again!
Mark
Old 03-08-09, 02:58 PM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 214 Posts
What dirtdrop neglected to tell you is that if your bars are anodized, and you've gotten scratches out with abrasion, then you'll find it very difficult to match de-anodized surface with those that are still anodized. The fix for this is to strip the anodizing, so that everything's raw aluminum, and polish from there. This is covered in many threads here -- do a search for Easy Off.
Old 03-08-09, 03:05 PM
Kommisar89
Bottecchia fan

Bikes: 1959 Bottecchia Milano-Sanremo (frame), 1966 Bottecchia Professional (frame), 1971 Bottecchia Professional (frame), 1973 Bottecchia Gran Turismo, 1974 Bottecchia Special, 1977 Bottecchia Special (frame), 1974 Peugeot UO-8

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Dirtdrop
I actually read your post.

I wanted a satin finish on these aluminum fenders because I didn't want them to look like chrome. I just rubbed them lightly with 0000 steel wool and then waxed them. The wax prevents fingerprinting.
+1 except I used brass wool.
Old 03-08-09, 05:50 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1456 Post(s)
Liked 1,085 Times in 805 Posts
brass, bronze or steel, you'll get something "close" to a satin finish but any time you are achieving it with hand rubbing there is a "grain" to the scratches. The best satin look I ever got was to take a piece straight from bead blasting and wax it with pure carnuba, but you really have to avoid touching it with ungloved fingers until waxed and really have to keep up the wax or it will corrode.

Last edited by unworthy1; 03-09-09 at 11:25 PM.
Old 03-08-09, 07:27 PM
Kommisar89
Bottecchia fan

Bikes: 1959 Bottecchia Milano-Sanremo (frame), 1966 Bottecchia Professional (frame), 1971 Bottecchia Professional (frame), 1973 Bottecchia Gran Turismo, 1974 Bottecchia Special, 1977 Bottecchia Special (frame), 1974 Peugeot UO-8

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by unworthy1
bass or steel, you'll get something "close" to a satin finish but any time you are achieving it with hand rubbing there is a "grain" to the scratches. The best satin look I ever got was to take a piece straight from bead blasting and wax it with pure carnuba, but you really have to avoid touching it with ungloved fingers until waxed and really have to keep up the wax or it will corrode.
Hmmm...I supposed you could have it blasted like that and then anodized. I haven't seen as many threads about that as for paint and chrome but somebody must do it. I would think it would be fairly cheap.
Old 03-08-09, 09:08 PM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 226 Times in 129 Posts
Just started working on a bike today. Cleaned everything down first with Fantastik cleaner. The handle bar stem looked hopeless, so I got a little "open-minded" in my refurbishing technique. Used very diluted Turtle Wax rubbing compound ($1.99 at Sears) on a rag, followed by chrome polish and then a couple of applications of Turtle Wax paste car wax. The Weinmann rims cleaned up with chrome polish, followed by an application of chrome polish and 2 application of car wax. I a also used the rubbing compound to remove the remains of disintegrated frame decals. Big improvement in the bike's appearance. This was a project bike I took on for fun, and not a prized keeper.
Old 03-09-09, 06:55 AM
Allan Pollock

Bikes: 1987 Marinoni ; 1994 Miyata 621; 1973 Raleigh Superbe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you can get a nice satin finish by applying your favourite polish with some scotch brites or steelwool. you'll need to experiment with the "grit" in order to match the other side, but it should be possible.
Allan Pollock
Old 03-09-09, 09:04 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1456 Post(s)
Liked 1,085 Times in 805 Posts
there are home anodizing kits but reports I hear are the results are less than professional-looking. I wonder if the "pearl" anodizing we are thinking of involves some additive in the bath or is just clear anodizing over a blasted surface...inquiring minds need to know.
Old 03-09-09, 06:56 PM
pass the peas
like we used to say

Bikes: 2009 Surly Cross Check, ca.2013 Worksman INB, 2018 Breezer Doppler Pro

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I would go with scotchbrite. Steel wool will leave small particles of steel embedded in the surface of the soft aluminum, which can then rust and leave stains or at the least darken the aluminum. I like scotchbrite and simichrome together.
Old 03-09-09, 07:27 PM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by pass the peas
I would go with scotchbrite. Steel wool will leave small particles of steel embedded in the surface of the soft aluminum, which can then rust and leave stains or at the least darken the aluminum. I like scotchbrite and simichrome together.
I always use steel wool when polishing aluminum and I've never seen any indication that there is any truth to that.
Old 03-10-09, 05:05 PM
Old Fat Guy
Banned

This thread made me curious, so I tried something I hadn't done before.

I had a Cinelli stem that was a mess, and awhile ago I did the EZ-Off stripping of the anodizing, then polished it on the trusty buffing wheel. It was a bit 'too shiny' for my tastes, so it went back into the parts bin.

I decided to try to make a satin finish out of it, so I got out the sandpaper. I started with 320, then went to 400.

The results were going in the right direction, but not what I would put on a bike. So I went to 800 and 1000 grit. Much better.

I finished it off with a couple of treatments of Mother's, followed by som good old Johnson Paste Wax to protect it. It came out good enough to use, and an acceptable satin finish, though it's a bit hard to photograph well.

Last edited by Old Fat Guy; 03-10-09 at 05:12 PM.
Old 03-10-09, 06:41 PM
markk900

OFG: the finish you got is what I am looking for (and the one you started with is the one I am trying to avoid)....thanks for the photos and advice.

Mark
Old 03-10-09, 08:18 PM
Old Fat Guy
Banned

Originally Posted by markk900
OFG: the finish you got is what I am looking for (and the one you started with is the one I am trying to avoid)....thanks for the photos and advice.

Mark
Mark, It came out quite nice. Now I have to unwrap the bars on the Primato I just dialed in to put this stem on.

My advice is to strip it with EZ-Off, and start with a 320 grit, and slowly work up to the effect you are looking for. For me it came at 1000 grit.

I sanded in one direction, front to back, so that the sanding lines ran along the top of the stem, and wrapped around the vertical part. I went lightly with the sandpaper, and used some Mother's between grades to judge what the final look would be.

It took maybe a half an hour, starting with an already stripped and polished stem.

I put a few coats of wax on after I finished. This stem will stay in AZ, so corrosion is not an issue. If I was in CA or FL I would consider spraying a clear coat on it to seal it. I have no clue if that would adhere, or even work. Wax is good in my locale.

Thanks for arousing my curiosity, I am VERY pleased with the outcome.
Old 10-25-23, 11:14 AM
Catnap 

Bikes: Zunow, 3Rensho, Look KG196

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 483 Times in 195 Posts
bumping this thread up. I'm restoring some Gran Compe brake levers and a Sugino Mighty crankset that have all been pantographed with Zunow logos. I removed all the scratches and buffed them to a mirror polish on a bench machine, but that finish isn't really what I'm going for. Will experiment with Simichrome and a red 3M pad next.
Old 10-25-23, 12:07 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Quoted: 1208 Post(s)
Liked 2,656 Times in 1,105 Posts
Originally Posted by Catnap
bumping this thread up. I'm restoring some Gran Compe brake levers and a Sugino Mighty crankset that have all been pantographed with Zunow logos. I removed all the scratches and buffed them to a mirror polish on a bench machine, but that finish isn't really what I'm going for. Will experiment with Simichrome and a red 3M pad next.
When I polish an un-anodized part, like an old Campy seatpost or hub, and I don't want the high-polish gleam on an old bike, I knock back the polish with a brief acid etch. I used to use Aluminum Jelly (similar to Naval Jelly but a different acid, intended for Al), but I haven't found it in recent years. It appears to be discontinued.

In recent years I've used an aggressive aluminum cleaner/brightener I got from Amazon. It works great but beware, it's really fast, like seconds to get to the finish you want. Probably should be diluted some before use. Use personal protective gear, face shield and rubber gloves recommended as a minimum. Wash it off the part with warm water ASAP to stop the etch from continuing. Oh and make sure any traces of polishing compound are washed off before doing the etch, or the compound will act as a resist, and you'll have areas that didn't get etched.

Here's a seatpost I polished then etched. It's a finish that's definitely better than new, but it looks somewhat consistent with the patina present on the other Al parts on the bike.

This bike has a Nitto Pearl stem, and the post looks similar to the pearl ano on the Nitto. The post being un-anodized, it will tarnish over time, but only slowly. High polish slows down the corrosion process. And unless you live by the sea, the added patina over time doesn't look bad.

-Mark B
Likes For bulgie:
Old 10-25-23, 01:41 PM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked 1,660 Times in 761 Posts
Originally Posted by markk900
I'll see what I can do....I needed to sand with fine grit paper to dull the scratches, so now I'll try the wool and see what happens....
I'd try Ajax and a wet cloth, after getting the area to a high polish.
Old 10-25-23, 01:49 PM
markk900

BTinNYC : I’ll try that next time; I did get the result I was originally looking for by going to 2000 grit - it looked perfect. At that stage you have to be careful with paste polishes as they quickly take that back to a mirror finish!
Likes For markk900:
Old 10-25-23, 04:07 PM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked 1,067 Times in 556 Posts
I was recently messing around with my son’s AL BMX frame. Paint has been stripped and I am getting a finish I like with a gray Scotchbrite pad.
Old 10-25-23, 05:24 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 1,959 Times in 1,164 Posts
In the golf world we use a grey Scotchbrite wheel for creating a satin finish. There are many metal moving items available including Trizac belts, 3M belts of different colors, all with differing finish options. I would suggest the 3m grey Scotchbrite in pad form to get to a satin finish. Smiles, MH

Last edited by Mad Honk; 10-25-23 at 07:48 PM.
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 10-26-23, 10:49 AM
retroman57 

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 34 Posts
I vaguely recall someone here mentioning bringing to a mirror polish and then dip or soak in brake cleaning fluid to knock back the shine.
I haven't tried this myself, so can't promise that it will work. Worth a try...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.