Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Hello from Dubai!

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Hello from Dubai!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-09, 05:25 AM
FiZZ

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello from Dubai!

Hello everyone!

Brand new here. Used to cycle when I was a kid, and I'm thinking of starting again to lose a lot of the "work" fat that I pounded up. I used to cycle 9 days a week when I was 11.

Does anyone know where the "Search" button is? I'm having a hard time trying to find it.
Old 04-02-09, 06:30 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 1518 Post(s)
Liked 1,140 Times in 666 Posts
Hi. Welcome to BF. I'd love to hear about your cycling adventures in Dubai, and about 9 day weeks.

The search button is right underneath the site banner. The choices there are:

Logout - Mark All Forums Read - Members List - Search The Forums (which is what you want). The forums in the Lounge are not included in the search, and I know there are some other quirks, but I've been able to find words within a single forum with no problems.

Take care,

Z
Old 04-10-09, 02:33 PM
FiZZ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, Dubai has idiotic laws all over the country that we have to follow. In fact, just recently they passed a law that makes it illegal to cycle in most parts of the country. Only cycling areas are for the cyclists. Which is funny since most of the laborors who work here own bikes and cycle everywhere. Their excuse was safety.

Oh, and bike lanes don't exist here, neither do side walks.

I bought a Fuji Odessa 2.0 today. Gave it a slight spin today and seems fine. Tomorrow morning I'm going to take her for a ride.

If there a thread for beginners? Something that tells them the essentials of what they need when it comes to bikes, sizes, tools, etc? I tried a search, and I got tons of results but nothing for what I wanted. I'm guessing powerful keyword search here.
Old 04-10-09, 02:41 PM
ThinLine

Bikes: Pedal Force RS2, Canyon, Basso, Tommaso, Rock Racing, Schwinn, SWOBO, Trek

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Is'nt Dubai going through a construction explosion of needless expense?
I heard they are actually putting coolers in the sand of some 7 star hotel so the wealthy can walk to the sea without burning their precious feet.

Is hashish still legal along with heroine and opium?

Good cycling to you and be careful.
Old 04-10-09, 11:30 PM
FiZZ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not any more. The country has been hit by a major recession, and 60% of construction work has been stopped. I got lucky because I work in an educational institute, and so far they're doing well.

Drugs are a MAJOR no-no in this country. If you even come in with a trace of illegal narcotics in your blood stream, you go to jail, so you can't get high in Amsterdam or in Cairo and then come in. They do random blood checks in the airport while waiting at passport control. They're quite serious about it here.

And yes, they do cool down the sands so the wealthy can walk about. Its their form of hospitality.

So I gave my bike its first ride, and I realized its a tad small. I'm 6' and I got a 15 inch. Isn't a real problem when I'm at the slowest gears, but an issue if I go on the fastest. Also, I realized that the pedal gears aren't as smooth as they're supposed to be. The largest sprocket doesn't engage when I change the gear. Any advice on how to get around that?
Old 04-11-09, 01:16 AM
Panthers007
Great State of Varmint

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
I'd take your questions about your bike to the Bike Mechanics forum. They should be able to help you. Otherwise - Welcome to the forums from Vermont (were pot is legal for certain medical problems).
Old 04-11-09, 05:34 AM
ThinLine

Bikes: Pedal Force RS2, Canyon, Basso, Tommaso, Rock Racing, Schwinn, SWOBO, Trek

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Fizz...Thanks for reply.

So now you have a country littered with boom cranes and chilled sand.

Good ridings
Old 04-11-09, 09:23 AM
skinnyone
Dude wheres my guads?

Bikes: Not enough

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fizz, welcome to the forum! I spent a few hours in Dubai and my uncle lives there. I was amazed by the greenery and the opulence. Have fun!