Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

How difficult it is to replace a Shimano Cassette Body with a Campy?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-09, 02:55 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts

I've asked this on the Mechanics forum but I'm not getting anywhere. Seems the folks are too knowledgeable to want to provide help to a novice........I'm sure some of you probably know.

Is it a simple deal to replace a Shimano Cassette Hub on a stock Easton clincher wheel with a Campy Cassette Hub? Long story but bought a set of wheels and was sent the wrong cassette hub. Supposedly the "fix" is not supposed to be that hard. Just wondering if it's something I can do or do I need to run it by my LBS........
Old 04-13-09, 03:47 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 545 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 461 Posts
you'd think that it'd be a fairly straightforward process to remove the cassette hub retainer, get the correct cassette hub body and lock it back on... given the hub/wheel was available in both configs.
But hey, in this day and age, even getting single cassette cogs is almost impossible...
back in the day, all the 'pro' shops in my area had spare cogs for campy, regina, shimano and suntour (and, gawd forebid, even french stuff) - but those were 'Bad Business' practices, since shops always lost money on that kind of inventory...
but then, they were the drug peddlers of their day, and you'd (me) visit them at least once a week for that intoxicating dope - bike crap - for whatever gaspipe you were ridin at the moment. Then he'd let you fondle that NEW Super Record DR he just got in... sick...

Now a days, scrap the entire cassette, even though you only need a new 16...

back to the OP - can't do an 'exchange' from where you bought the wheelset? maybe contact Easton tech and see what they say...
worst comes to worst, there's ebay ... take the hit, lick the wallet wounds and 'buy' again...
hey $4.00/gal is just around the corner again, and that all makes our bike smack look mighty cheap

lettuce know how things work out
Old 04-13-09, 05:06 PM
maddmaxx 
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
https://www.eastonbike.com/TECHNICAL/...l_service.html

Try this page. It is Easton's downloadable tech page on disassembly/reassembly of wheel hubs. I checked out one of the manuals and it seems remarkably thurough.

As to where you purchase the alternate parts................? You may find good contact info above this page on the Easton site.

Edit: sorry, I just caught up with your thread in Mechanics. The page above is the one you want. Go to the R4 hub as this is what came with your SLX wheels. There is a complete description there with diagrams and a listing of the tools you will need. It looks pretty straight forward for someone who might have regreased hub bearings and not lost parts......Your going to love the animated instructions. Look at both the assembly/disassembly and the cassette body animations for the full job.

I see you mentioned that a replacement freewheel is coming. Good luck, have fun and as always............post pics or it didn't happen.

Last edited by maddmaxx; 04-13-09 at 07:47 PM.
Old 04-13-09, 07:50 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1355 Post(s)
Liked 2,501 Times in 1,468 Posts
If the error was from a distributor who sent the wrong hub, have them authorize a voucher, take it to your LBS and have the distributor pay for it. I find these matters better handled by the LBS the first time. Are you not using the Campy 11? If so and if it were me, I would take it to a bike shop and use a trusted mechanic no matter who pays for it.
Old 04-13-09, 08:06 PM
billydonn
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jppe
I've asked this on the Mechanics forum but I'm not getting anywhere. Seems the folks are too knowledgeable to want to provide help to a novice........I'm sure some of you probably know.

Is it a simple deal to replace a Shimano Cassette Hub on a stock Easton clincher wheel with a Campy Cassette Hub? Long story but bought a set of wheels and was sent the wrong cassette hub. Supposedly the "fix" is not supposed to be that hard. Just wondering if it's something I can do or do I need to run it by my LBS........
There are cassettes made that fit shimano hubs that have Campy spacing... go to Jenson and check out 10 speed and nine speed cassettes.

Last edited by billydonn; 04-14-09 at 07:33 PM.
Old 04-14-09, 01:52 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Thanks for the responses-spot on.

This Campy thing is not getting off to a roaring start!

Unfortunately my dream bike has been sitting for 2 weeks waiting on compatible wheels. I've waited 12 mos and can wait a little longer.
Old 04-14-09, 03:41 PM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This goes against the very laws of nature!
Old 04-14-09, 05:24 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Maddmax-wow-that is an incredible link and gives me exactly what I need. I was surfing the Easton web site but never found that page. The animated directions are amazing-you are correct about loving those!!!! You were most helpful and resourceful.

I guess I didn't do a very good job of first explaining what I needed in the Mechanics forum. They sure have a way of making me feel like a noob........

I know I have one 5mm allen wrench and hopefully can scrape up one more.
Old 04-14-09, 06:25 PM
card
Happy Rider

Bikes: Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe

for me, it's about as hard as loading my bike and taking it to the LBS, go eat about 6 lbs of crawfish, drink 2 or 3 beers and then go pick my bike up.

sorry, just couldn't resist--i'm not very mechanical. I just keep everything lubed up and change the tires.