Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

IRO Phenix - What Do You Think Of It?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-09, 11:23 PM
Cyclist0383
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I just saw the new IRO Phoenix on the IRO website, and I must say I'm a bit disappointed in it, especially as it replaces the Rob Roy, which I ride and love. IMO the Rob Roy is a perfect all weather three season city bike. The Phoenix on the other hand has a really odd mix of specs which looks like it makes it rather non-functional in comparison with the RR.

Compare.

The geometry of the two is similar, with the Phoenix having slightly less relaxed angles than the RR.

The RR is spaced 130mm, the Phoenix 120mm but with cable routing for an internal gear hub. The rub is that the vast majority of modern IGHs are 126mm to 135mm. What was IRO thinking?

The RR has canti brakes, rack and fender mounts, and can take tires to 38mm. The Phoenix has caliper brakes, rack and fender mounts, and can take tires to 38mm. The question is where can one easily find caliper brakes that can accommodate fat tires and fenders?

All in all this seems to me to be a really odd choice of specs for the Phoenix. As a replacement for the Rob Roy really I don't understand what they were thinking.

https://www.irocycle.com/index.asp?Pa...ROD&ProdID=158

https://www.irocycle.com/frame_specifications.pdf
Old 04-16-09, 11:34 PM
brandonspeck
everyday I'm hustlin'

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck, Surly Steamrolla

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree, cantilever brakes would be really ideal for this frameset. It looks more like a steel version of the Jamie Roy. I wish they'd just bring the JR back.

And WTF... only black?

We should get IROCarrie posting in this thread...
Old 04-17-09, 04:50 AM
stachemaster
rawthentic menergy

Bikes: 2005 johnny coast cycles #4 track, 1971 peugeot px-10 road, gt performer 1986 PINK bmx, 1966 raleigh rodeo 3-speed STICK SHIFT 20", 1960s rollfast tandem, 1970s raleigh fixed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tektro R556's are calipers widely available (QBP, J&B, Action bike should all stock them) and they can be found on the internet for ~$40. They have insane clearance - 55-73mm.
Old 04-17-09, 05:00 AM
HandsomeRyan
Pants are for suckaz

Bikes: Hardtail MTB, Fixed gear, and Commuter bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by stachemaster
Tektro R556's are calipers widely available (QBP, J&B, Action bike should all stock them) and they can be found on the internet for ~$40. They have insane clearance - 55-73mm.
The 55-73mm number you listed is the reach, not the tire clearance. What the OP is referring to is the width of the tires not the length from the brake bolt to the rim/brake pads.
Old 04-17-09, 07:35 AM
LeCollectif

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I dunno. I'm kinda digging it. However, IRO really needs to get a healthy selection of colours going.
Old 04-17-09, 07:41 AM
whenaminotme?
knewbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pass
Old 04-17-09, 09:25 AM
jonathansmith68

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone know what's going on with IRO's website? It appears to be a rolled back version to me... (I'm guessing the version of the website prior to them releasing their flash site). Anyone else getting the same thing when they go to https://www.irocycle.com/ ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Picture 1.jpg (90.0 KB, 25 views)
Old 04-17-09, 10:03 AM
popsicleian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I must say I'm disappointed. I'm looking to buy a singlespeed (with potential for IGH) commuter this fall after I move and don't need my folding bike anymore. I had high hopes for the Phoenix, but I'll definitely be crossing it off my list. First of all, the geometry seems really weird (as someone pointed out in another thread)--72 degree head angle, but a 75.5 degree seat tube angle? Less than 50cm seat tube on a size 54 (with a super short head tube, no less)? There's no way this would fit me without a freakish stem/stack combo.

I also agree that it would have been better with cantis. I really don't understand why they went to the trouble of adding the cable routing for an IGH and only gave it a 120mm dropout.
Old 04-17-09, 10:25 AM
bmw5nkj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the rob roy was perfect. RIP.
Old 04-17-09, 10:36 AM
fuzz2050
Real Men Ride Ordinaries

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm just a hair disappointed too, it's not a bad bike, it's just not a replacement for the RR. I guess this was built just for the S3X, it's 120, right?
Old 04-17-09, 05:58 PM
stachemaster
rawthentic menergy

Bikes: 2005 johnny coast cycles #4 track, 1971 peugeot px-10 road, gt performer 1986 PINK bmx, 1966 raleigh rodeo 3-speed STICK SHIFT 20", 1960s rollfast tandem, 1970s raleigh fixed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HandsomeRyan
The 55-73mm number you listed is the reach, not the tire clearance. What the OP is referring to is the width of the tires not the length from the brake bolt to the rim/brake pads.
I also note that i wrote my original post at 6:50 am after being out all night drinking.
The brake reach is long, true. But i own a pair of these, and have seen them used on plenty of randos/700c conversions and the arms give a good bit of clearance for fenders and fatter tires.
Old 04-17-09, 06:13 PM
sp00ki
partly metal, partly real

Bikes: Hummer H2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iro seems to have outgrown itself. since last summer, it seems everything has gone downhill. the last awesome thing they did, imo, was the first two group buys.
every change i've seen them make so far has been a disappointment.
i'd like to see them go back to being a smaller company; customers will deal with the high demand.
unfortunately, it doesn't seem that these guys do good on a large scale...
Old 04-17-09, 06:30 PM
elTwitcho
Live without dead time

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ziemas
The RR is spaced 130mm, the Phoenix 120mm but with cable routing for an internal gear hub. The rub is that the vast majority of modern IGHs are 126mm to 135mm. What was IRO thinking?
I would think they're banking on the s3x which let's be honest here is really the only IGH to have generated any interest at all in the fixed/single speed community. While it isn't ideal for other IGHs I can't say there's a ton of people around here really clamoring for a bike to put their Shimano 8 speed hub on...

Agreed that a lot of the other design considerations don't seem to make much sense though
Old 04-17-09, 09:03 PM
whoosh!
armchair touring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll buy one. It's a steamroller with eyelets.
Old 04-18-09, 01:02 AM
Cyclist0383
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by elTwitcho
I would think they're banking on the s3x which let's be honest here is really the only IGH to have generated any interest at all in the fixed/single speed community. While it isn't ideal for other IGHs I can't say there's a ton of people around here really clamoring for a bike to put their Shimano 8 speed hub on...

Agreed that a lot of the other design considerations don't seem to make much sense though
Actually I've noticed a lot of posts in other forums expressing interest in IGHs. It's not just people into SS/FG that would like a frame that can take an IGH.
Old 04-18-09, 01:25 AM
muckymucky
on Baby Charlie Concept~

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
thats a lot of cable guides~
Old 04-18-09, 01:28 AM
ADSR
Gentlemen.

Bikes: S-Works e5 Aerotech with 2009 Veloce and a Fulcrum 5s

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They're making their own IGH wheels.

Also, did anybody else notice MarkV Pros?
Old 04-18-09, 01:43 AM
elTwitcho
Live without dead time

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually I've noticed a lot of posts in other forums expressing interest in IGHs. It's not just people into SS/FG that would like a frame that can take an IGH.
Yes but those people aren't riding IROs they're on something closer to a touring frame with a longer wheel base and more relaxed geometry from what I've seen. People with panniers and such who don't typically make up IROs target market.
Old 04-18-09, 01:44 AM
Cyclist0383
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by elTwitcho
Yes but those people aren't riding IROs they're on something closer to a touring frame with a longer wheel base and more relaxed geometry from what I've seen. People with panniers and such who don't typically make up IROs target market.
Then the whole IHG thing on the Phoenix is a total mystery to me.

FWIW, my Rob Roy rides quite nicely with panniers.
Old 04-18-09, 01:46 AM
Cyclist0383
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ADSR
They're making their own IGH wheels.

Also, did anybody else notice MarkV Pros?
Hmmm. Where did you see this? There isn't anything on their site I could find about it.
Old 04-18-09, 10:25 AM
shapelike
Don't smoke, Mike.

Bikes: Devinci Tosca, IRO Rob Roy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The RR is spaced 130mm, the Phoenix 120mm but with cable routing for an internal gear hub
The Rob Roy is spaced 132.5mm.
Old 04-18-09, 11:19 AM
dobber
Perineal Pressurized

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The Phoenix looks like a modern day equivalent of the conversion frame. They really missed an opportunity here.

As it is, another hi-ten, indistinguishable from the rest of the crowd.
This is Africa, 1943. War spits out its violence overhead and the sandy graveyard swallows it up. Her name is King Nine, B-25, medium bomber, Twelfth Air Force. On a hot, still morning she took off from Tunisia to bomb the southern tip of Italy. An errant piece of flak tore a hole in a wing tank and, like a wounded bird, this is where she landed, not to return on this day, or any other day.
Old 08-28-09, 10:46 PM
hmarcks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry to awaken this thread, but I am interested in the Phoenix. Despite the concerns about the bike in this thread, I haven't found a better complete bike option that's similar in price and quality.

But I am worried about the sizing.

Their chart says the "60cm" model measures 55.5cm seat tube center to center. Why is there such a difference? The top tube lenght (57cm) and stand over (33") seem more consistent with other 60cm model bikes, but are still on the smaller size.

So why would they size this as a 60cm? I'm 6'2" with a 35" inseem. I can't size it in person since there's no dealers near me, but does this sound like it will be too small?

Thanks for any input!