Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Caffeine and Blood Pressure for 50+ers

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-09, 09:44 PM
Louis

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts

Ten days ago I visited my doctor for a check-up. Everything was fine except my BP was 160/90. Doctor said, based on my recent history of good BP, this was not a "good reading" and that I seemed stressed. He asked me to relax and come back in a week for another reading.

I still cannot imagine what I was stressed over, but for the last week (on the advice of my wife) I completely eliminated caffeine from my diet - I had been drinking lots of diet soda and coffee.

Today's reading 110/60. I know caffeine can raise BP, but by THAT much?

Your thoughts?
Old 05-21-09, 10:58 PM
Velo Dog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My BP will vary by 20-30 points from day to day, for no apparent reason. It's normally about 130/85, but will be as low as 110/60 or as high as 160/100. I drink two or three cups of coffee a day, decaf about half the time, and decaf diet soda when it's available, regular when it's not, maybe one a day on average. I haven't noticed that caffeine intake affects it, but I haven't really been looking for that. In any case, some variation is normal, and you might have made other changes without realizing it while you were restricting your caffeine.
FWIW, if you get a grinder and grind your own coffee beans, french roast decaf isn't bad, or you can mix beans 50-50.
Old 05-22-09, 02:17 AM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Be really suspicious about any single blood pressure reading. Many of the new automatic machines have problems for certain people. I lift a lot of weights. Having strong biceps cause the automatic machines to read high, especially when they us the small pressure cuff.

I have had a nurse read BP with the machine at 155/100 and then the doctor do it 10 minutes later with the old style and larger cuff getting a reading of 120/75.

Imagine being put on BP medicine due to an automatic machine when you have a normal BP. Start out with a normal resting BP 120/75 and possibly end up with a medicated BP of 90/40. Dangerous.
Old 05-22-09, 04:36 AM
NOS88

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Changes of 25 to 30% within a given day are considered normal ( https://highbloodpressure.about.com/o...ure-swings.htm ). Caffeine, stress and other factors can contribute, but if I had a change like the one you describe, I don't think I'd wait a full week to have it checked again.
Old 05-22-09, 06:27 AM
PaulH

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 64 Posts
I monitor my BP twice a day. My average over the last nine months is 112/72, but I've seen it spike as high as 150 right before doing something demanding. Example: before flying boss on business trip (last week) - 150/80. Before flying family to beach for Memorial Day weekend (today) - 96/70. These two days were similar in that I did not ride to work. I may have felt the same on both mornings, but the numbers show one was more stressful than the other.

A home BP monitor won't be as accurate as the one in the doctor's office, but it costs only about $100 and as the only way to understand what your BP is really doing. I've found that the two variables that most affect my BP are stress and whether I just rode my bike.

Paul
Old 05-22-09, 06:33 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 227 Posts
Any single BP reading is practically meaningless.

A single hi or lo reading should result in further readings and never in medication.
Old 05-22-09, 02:20 PM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CB HI
Imagine being put on BP medicine due to an automatic machine when you have a normal BP. Start out with a normal resting BP 120/75 and possibly end up with a medicated BP of 90/40. Dangerous.
That happened to me exactly. I argued with my new doctor my BP was normal (120/80) but in her office it read 135/90. Now that wasn't bad to begn with but I let her placed me on BP meds. Fast forward 2 years - what a mess that has been. The meds caused me to stop riding and gain weight that of course elevated my BP - vicious cycle. I finally got my act together, lost the weight I gained and am back to my normal BP 120/80 although at times it has been 110/64 or as high as 170/110. One reason why a resting BP is preferable.

BTW the first day I took the BP meds my BP dropped to 90/47. Trust me, not a good feeling. I spent the day trying not to pass out. I adjusted the dosage downwards and then at least stayed awake.

I just wish doctors would mind their own business and let me be!!!

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 05-22-09, 03:19 PM
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 31 Posts
Mine always goes up in the DR. office. I'm usually around 105 over 60 with no meds. I never did drink coffee, beer that's another story.
Old 05-22-09, 03:59 PM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Louis
for the last week.... I completely eliminated caffeine from my diet -
This, I could not do.
Old 05-22-09, 04:18 PM
Al Criner

Bikes: 2009 Surly Cross Check Frankenbike

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
A big cup of coffee will raise my BP by about 10 points. I have a feeling that 160/90 was an aberration if you have never experienced that before.
Old 05-22-09, 04:20 PM
Louis

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Very interesting comments, keep 'em coming. Thanks.
Old 05-22-09, 07:20 PM
MTBLover
But on the road more

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe '07

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BP is often elevated in the doctor's office- it's called "white coat hypertension" and reflects nervousness and apprehension experienced by patients just by being in the examination room. It's well documented, and no doc worth his/her salt would/should treat someone on the basis of a single reading. Pam, I'm glad to hear that you took matters into your own hands and everything turned out alright- eventually.
Old 05-22-09, 10:44 PM
Velo Dog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulH
I monitor my BP twice a day. ....
A home BP monitor won't be as accurate as the one in the doctor's office, but it costs only about $100 and as the only way to understand what your BP is really doing.l
If you're a veteran (certainly possible here in the Geezer Forum), the VA will give you a BP monitor. I signed up for VA care when i took a forced buyout and lost my company insurance, and on the first visit they sent me down to the pharmacy and handed me one. You don't have to be a lifer--I just did three years in the '60s. The care so far has been excellent, by the way. I have a couple of chronic conditions, not serious but worth watching, and my civilian cardiologist and neurologist both have praised the VA docs.
Just out of curiosity, why do you check your BP so often? My cardiologist discourages doing it more than once a day or every other day lest it become an obsession.
Old 05-22-09, 11:10 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
If I did not drink coffee- the blood pressure of the people I work with would go way high for working with a grumpy old git.

Spike Milligan
Old 05-23-09, 06:02 AM
maddmaxx 
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
Be really suspicious about any single blood pressure reading. Many of the new automatic machines have problems for certain people. I lift a lot of weights. Having strong biceps cause the automatic machines to read high, especially when they us the small pressure cuff.

I have had a nurse read BP with the machine at 155/100 and then the doctor do it 10 minutes later with the old style and larger cuff getting a reading of 120/75.

Good looking nurse?
Old 05-23-09, 10:45 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1405 Post(s)
Liked 1,356 Times in 855 Posts
Sensitivities to various foods, drinks, and chemical compounds vary considerably by individual. You have probably found a good reason to avoid caffeine, but others may be able to handle it just fine.

I do concur with all of the comments regarding the wide variance in any individual's BP and the very real "white coat syndrome."
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 05-25-09, 06:05 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by maddmaxx
Good looking nurse?
You might be on to something here, BUT in the wrong direction. As I think back, most of the nurses that read a high BP on me, were neither charming or good looking.
Old 05-26-09, 02:11 PM
card
Happy Rider

Bikes: Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by George
Mine always goes up in the DR. office. I'm usually around 105 over 60 with no meds. I never did drink coffee, beer that's another story.
I would say, KEEP UP THE BEER
Old 05-26-09, 10:15 PM
ModeratedUser150120149

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Pamestique
That happened to me exactly. I argued with my new doctor my BP was normal (120/80) but in her office it read 135/90. Now that wasn't bad to begn with but I let her placed me on BP meds. Fast forward 2 years - what a mess that has been. The meds caused me to stop riding and gain weight that of course elevated my BP - vicious cycle. I finally got my act together, lost the weight I gained and am back to my normal BP 120/80 although at times it has been 110/64 or as high as 170/110. One reason why a resting BP is preferable.

BTW the first day I took the BP meds my BP dropped to 90/47. Trust me, not a good feeling. I spent the day trying not to pass out. I adjusted the dosage downwards and then at least stayed awake.

I just wish doctors would mind their own business and let me be!!!
AMEN!

I frequently have to remind the providers at the clinic I use that I'm the one in charge of my health, not them. Being a clinic I seldom get the same provider on sequential visits. So it is a never ending educational process.

Plus, standards have changed over the years. What used to be normal for a given age is now considered high or threshold. Enough time hasn't gone by for me to be sure the new standards aren't the latest medical fad and in fact do contribute to better health and fitness.

That said, be very sure you aren't in denial about your status.
Old 05-27-09, 09:18 AM
card
Happy Rider

Bikes: Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
coffee makes my bp go out of sight.
Old 05-27-09, 10:11 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 714 Times in 477 Posts
Originally Posted by Louis
Ten days ago I visited my doctor for a check-up. Everything was fine except my BP was 160/90. Doctor said, based on my recent history of good BP, this was not a "good reading" and that I seemed stressed. He asked me to relax and come back in a week for another reading.
I still cannot imagine what I was stressed over, but for the last week (on the advice of my wife) I completely eliminated caffeine from my diet - I had been drinking lots of diet soda and coffee.
Today's reading 110/60. I know caffeine can raise BP, but by THAT much?
Your thoughts?
check whats in the diet soda, if aspartame (Splenda and many of the other sweeteners are just as deadly in their own way); high blood pressure has be linked to it in many cases. Personally, I noted a consistent drop in BP when I got off the diet soda kick quite some years back (along with other health 'improvements').
coffee and diet soda are completely different substances, even though both might have caffeine...

just sayin...
Old 05-27-09, 10:28 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by BengeBoy
This, I could not do.
If you tried, they'd run you out of Seattle with torches and pitchforks, wouldn't they?
Old 05-27-09, 07:31 PM
ntime60

Bikes: Trek 7.3FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
4 years ago the DR. caught me at 170/110 when I broke my ankle. I've been on a beta blocker and an ACE inhibitor since. Honestly it makes me feel clamped when I try to exercise. Which is the whole reason I am biking in the first place. I want to lose weight and get off the drugs.

The thing is, I like Pepsi, I drink 4-6 12 oz cans a day. Yeah, I know, but it's my last vice. ;-) I can get down to 3 a day before I get into the caffeine withdraws or maybe it's the sugar. All I know, if I go below 3 a day I get jittery and irritable.

So my life style changes so far have been a better diet, stop smoking and now I'm adding biking. So what's a good way to get off Pepsi slowly?
Old 05-27-09, 10:58 PM
Donegal
Road Nazi Hunter

Bikes: Kuota Kredo, Litespeed Vortex, Aegis Victory, Burley Tandem, Cannondale Rush

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Eliminate all artificial sweeteners. I generally have a bp around 110-115 over 70-75. At my Doctor's office, one day, Ihad bp of 190/130. The next day at the doctors office, 96/69. I was immediately scheduled for a stress test and told to watch my diet.

I was drinking my coffee in the morning with splenda for about a year. My heart rate was getting pretty sporadic. I got on my bike one day at 115, hit 130 at the end of the driveway and 155 by the end of the street.

To make a long story short, I quit using any artificial sweeteners. Within 2 days, bp and heart rate numbers returned to normal. I have had absolutely no problems since. I am sure that the splenda was the source of all my problems. I really push it sometimes and after my stress test, I asked the doctor how hard I can go. He told me "Go kill myself!" Since he is a cyclist, I appreciated the bolster of confidence.

Since then, I really avoid any chemicals, I have returned to straight sugar in my coffee with no side effects.