Old 06-26-09, 10:58 AM
BlueBrew
The what?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got hit (& run).

So i was heading back to SF from larkspur on corte alta rd going downhill. I passed a number of cars and then they eventually passed me. However the last one decided to take it a step further. As i was about to pass this guy again, he turns into me knocking me into the ditch where i proceed to flip back over my bike onto the road, water bottles strewn across the road. The driver stops for about 15 seconds until another car stops and then speed off. No one got his license plate or a conclusive description, so it is highly unlikely that anything will happen to this person.

Fortunately i was wearing a helmet, (Which probably saved my life) seeing as it was cracked though in two places. I got picked up by an ambulance and was taken to Marin general where they took x-rays of my shoulder and concluded that there were no broken bones (knocks on wood) and but that i may have torn a ligament or some muscle in my shoulder. All i know is that it hurts like a mofo and racing just took a hit where the sun don't shine.

Fortunately though, it looks like my bike wasn't destroyed, I haven't looked closely at it myself but my friend who picked me up said it looked fine other than the wheels being out of true, the bars twisted and a some battle scars. I hope to be back out at the polo fields asap.

Just a funny little thing, when i was in the ambulance i asked the EMT whats the worst he's seen for cyclists, he looks at me and casually says "death". Then I proceed to say "Oh, Oh ya."

Last edited by BlueBrew; 06-26-09 at 11:12 AM.
Old 06-26-09, 11:10 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4383 Post(s)
Liked 3,054 Times in 1,653 Posts
Wow I'm glad it wasn't the worst case for you.

Yeah, EMTs have seen it all.

My mother in law one time asked a marine what his specialty skill was. "Killing people, ma'am." She loves telling that story.
Old 06-26-09, 11:18 AM
msincredible
crazy bike girl

Bikes: '07 Orbea Onix, '07 Birdy Yellow, '06 Cannondale Bad Boy (stolen)

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Wow, that sucks.

Glad it wasn't worse, hope your shoulder heals up quickly.
Old 06-26-09, 12:15 PM
kyle16
Ooohh, shiny things!

Bikes: 2005 Raleigh Competition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry to hear about this Blue. I am glad it wasn't worse and this is yet another case why everyone should wear a helmet.

Hope you have a speedy recovery.

By the way, my sister is an EMT in Marin County (though she doesn't do the 911 calls, I think the fire dept takes care of all that in the county).
Old 06-26-09, 08:37 PM
BlueBrew
The what?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kyle16
Sorry to hear about this Blue. I am glad it wasn't worse and this is yet another case why everyone should wear a helmet.

Hope you have a speedy recovery.

By the way, my sister is an EMT in Marin County (though she doesn't do the 911 calls, I think the fire dept takes care of all that in the county).
Ya, i thought it was a little much, first the fire truck showed up, then the other fire truck showed up, then the police showed up, and then finally the ambulance showed up.
Old 06-26-09, 10:00 PM
Dchiefransom

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BlueBrew
Ya, i thought it was a little much, first the fire truck showed up, then the other fire truck showed up, then the police showed up, and then finally the ambulance showed up.
In many places the ambulance is staffed by EMTs. The fire department is paramedics, which have more training. If you want to get hired by a fire department nowadays, you have to be a paramedic.
Hope you heal up quickly.

Last edited by Dchiefransom; 06-26-09 at 10:12 PM.
Old 06-26-09, 10:47 PM
Red Rider
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
So sorry to hear this. I'm glad you are not hurt worse, and hope you heal soon.

That driver (sorry also that no one got his license #) rots. That's just wrong.

Oh, and I hope the bike is okay, too.
Old 06-27-09, 12:09 AM
BlastRadius
Direct Hit Not Required

Bikes: Leopard DC1, Ridley X-Fire, GT Zaskar 9r

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Heal up well. Bad mojo and karma to the buttmunch driver.
Old 06-27-09, 09:43 AM
jhalv

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, that sucks...outright aggression. If you cracked your helmet, that was a serious knock. I'm glad you weren't one of the "worst" the EMT has seen.

Where's Corte Alta Rd in Larkspur? Do you mean Camino Alto by any chance?
Old 06-27-09, 01:29 PM
BlueBrew
The what?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jhalv
Wow, that sucks...outright aggression. If you cracked your helmet, that was a serious knock. I'm glad you weren't one of the "worst" the EMT has seen.

Where's Corte Alta Rd in Larkspur? Do you mean Camino Alto by any chance?
ya, sorry my bad, I mean Camino Alto, i was coming down the hill away from larkspur.
Old 06-29-09, 10:06 AM
jhalv

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's spooky. I ride that road all the time, as do countless other cyclists since it's the main route between SF and North Marin Co.

Since so many cyclists use that road, I'd think most cars would be used to them. So far, I've never encountered an ***hole on it.

The only consolation is if that driver is so full of aggression, he/she probably has a miserable life with high blood pressure, ulcers, and an eventual heart attack.

Heal up. I hope I see you on that road sometime soon.
Old 06-29-09, 02:42 PM
steeleman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So i was heading back to SF from larkspur on corte alta rd going downhill. I passed a number of cars and then they eventually passed me. However the last one decided to take it a step further. As i was about to pass this guy again...
Not that i condone cars cutting people off the road, but it sure seems aggressive to be passing cars on that steep and narrow downhill (repeatedly?). Maybe I'm reading your message wrong?
Old 06-29-09, 08:50 PM
Val23708

Bikes: Cervelo R3 (Force)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
that other car didn't get their plate number or at least the make/model/color of the car? thats pretty pathetic
Old 07-01-09, 10:47 AM
BlueBrew
The what?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by steeleman
Not that i condone cars cutting people off the road, but it sure seems aggressive to be passing cars on that steep and narrow downhill (repeatedly?). Maybe I'm reading your message wrong?
I passed him once before, and it seemed like he wasn't gonna get a moment to pass me again so i went for it. I was a little surprised no one got the cars info, I saw it was a silver VW sedan, (i think, i'm positive about the colour) but he didn't stick around long. The really weak part is that i can't ride, i managed to get on my mountain bike yesterday for a little easy stroll, but i can't really support myself with my left arm. Which ruins my racing plans and all the training.
Old 07-01-09, 10:55 AM
jinws
one good leg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I passed him once before, and it seemed like he wasn't gonna get a moment to pass me again so i went for it. I was a little surprised no one got the cars info, I saw it was a silver VW sedan, (i think, i'm positive about the colour) but he didn't stick around long. The really weak part is that i can't ride, i managed to get on my mountain bike yesterday for a little easy stroll, but i can't really support myself with my left arm. Which ruins my racing plans and all the training.
totally sucks that you got hit, the first thing I would've done if I was driving behind you and the car that hit you is take a pic of the person that hit you and his car's plate. I'm not really sure which part of Marin you were in but, usually, I take the whole lane so cars can't pass on downhills. Then again, there aren't too many times where a car can actually go fast enough to pass a bike.