Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Where to mount the bottle cage...

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-09, 01:38 PM
mojopt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here is my problem- I need a very small 17" frame. The problem is a) the frame is too small to accommodate a second holder and b) I don't care to use a seat post mounted twin cage.

Being a newby, I am seeking comments on the method I have chosen (see pics). Obviously, I could now carry two bottles, one on each fork leg.

I'm trying to determine why I haven't seen this before. Reaching the bottle for a drink on the run is not an issue with me. I stop to drink. The only other issue I can tihnk of is the possiblity of the bottle(s) falling out and under my rear wheel. That is why I plan to add a strap to the cage.

What I'm I missing here?

Best regards,

Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
water bottle 1.jpg (59.3 KB, 104 views)
water bottle 2.jpg (48.7 KB, 50 views)
water bottle 3.jpg (63.6 KB, 70 views)
Old 07-03-09, 01:51 PM
dgasmd
shedding fat

Bikes: LOOK 595 Ultra/Campy Record 10Sp, restored Guerciotti/Campy C-Record 6 Sp, TIME RXR/Campy SR 11Sp, and Colnago C-60 with Campagnolo SR 11sp.

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Where to begin.......... First off, if you are looking for a good way to hurt yourself, keep that bottle there. BEtter yet, add another to the other side!! For a number of reasons, this IS NOT a good idea in my mind. I would suggest you either get a seat mounted cage system or simply put them in the rear pockets of your cycling jersey. They are commonly kept there conveniently. If you don't use cycling jerseys, and simply judging from the looks here I am going to take a stab at strongly assuming you don't, get some.
Old 07-03-09, 02:07 PM
clausen

Bikes: Colnago Master XL, Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Marinoni Fango

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Use smaller bottles. My wifes frame won't fit large bottles but the 500 ml size fits. Use a rear pocket or there are cages for handle bars. That setup is a accident just waiting to happen.
Old 07-03-09, 02:10 PM
ericm979

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you slip while putting the bottle in or taking it out, and the bottle or your hand goes into the wheel, you will be taking a short air flight with a very rough landing.

Put a cage on the downtube. Then find a side-entry cage for the seat tube. Use short bottles if you have to.
Old 07-03-09, 02:10 PM
mojopt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
dgasmd,

Thanks for your relpy. Would you care to explain the possible hazards? I appreciate your opinion and would like to be more informed of the risks.

Thanks again,

Mike
Old 07-03-09, 02:12 PM
AndrewP

Bikes: Peugeot Hybrid, Minelli Hybrid

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I was looking at waterbottles in Sports Expert recently and they came with a cage and bracket for mounting on the handlebars. I had a bike with 2 bottles in front of the bars back in the 50s - very convenient. You should drink while riding, but your arrangement is good for carrying extra water for refilling the smaller bottles. When out all day, I often find that there isnt a place to get more water when I need it.
Old 07-03-09, 02:21 PM
tntyz

Bikes: 2018 Domane SL7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by mojopt
dgasmd,

Thanks for your relpy. Would you care to explain the possible hazards? I appreciate your opinion and would like to be more informed of the risks.

Thanks again,

Mike
I'm guessing that people feel you'll be tempted to reach for the bottle while riding, even though you DID say you stop when drinking.
Old 07-03-09, 02:34 PM
laduckslayer
Watch This!

Bikes: 2005 Trek 5000; 2006 Gary Fisher Rig

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
dgasmd,

Thanks again,

Mike
If you don't get the useful commentary from Dgasmd, then, well you just don't get it. Ride it like you stole it and watch your fingers when you need a drink.

Last edited by laduckslayer; 07-03-09 at 02:50 PM.
Old 07-03-09, 02:35 PM
dgasmd
shedding fat

Bikes: LOOK 595 Ultra/Campy Record 10Sp, restored Guerciotti/Campy C-Record 6 Sp, TIME RXR/Campy SR 11Sp, and Colnago C-60 with Campagnolo SR 11sp.

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
dgasmd,

Thanks again,

Mike
The main obvious one is the reaching to grab the bottle while rolling. Your hand can and WILL get caught by the spokes causing an accident in more than one way injuring more than just your hand. Another is the clear possibility of dropping the bottle right in front of the rear wheel and crashing. Another is the real possibility of getting your arm caught with the handlebars and twisting/turning the bars by mistake while reaching down = crash again. Lastly, I see the fact that the weight of the bottle with liquids will add a huge instability factor to your front end making it dangerous when turning, taking a hand or two off the bars, etc. Just too many risks.

Many have already given excellent suggestions. Look into those first and get rid of this system before you hurt yourself.
Old 07-03-09, 02:37 PM
Bontrager

Bikes: Road, MTB, Folding, Commuting bikes...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
:facepalm:
Old 07-04-09, 08:31 AM
thompsonpost

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Interference with the bottle and the downtube while turning.

Old 07-04-09, 10:21 AM
DwayneS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 07-04-09, 11:54 AM
Nestor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How about something like this?

https://www.shopwiki.com/MINOURA+CLAM...LE+CAGE+HOLDER
Old 07-04-09, 12:19 PM
HarryStoddard

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.rei.com/product/721789

Something like this.
Old 07-04-09, 01:03 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
The fork mounting should be fine as long as you really never reach for it or put it back while riding. I'd put one bottle on the downtube as usual to use while riding and keep the fork mount only for carrying a spare that'll be exchanged while stopped. That position is about the same as low-rider panniers and normally doesn't cause any instability. I used to use a single pannier in the front for my commuting stuff (weighed much more than a full bottle) and never had any handling issues.
Old 07-04-09, 01:12 PM
Jakedatc

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by HarryStoddard
Or.. a couple Bontrager Sideswipes and not have ejecto-bottles. i use one for my seat tube cage since i can't even get a 20oz in with a normal cage.. bonty cage i fit a 24oz no problem.

https://store.trekbikes.com/jump.jsp?...th=1%2C2%2C261
Old 07-04-09, 02:20 PM
valygrl

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Are you sure you can't use regular cages? I have 2 on my 17" trek 520. And um... did you try it without the frame pump?