Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Trek vs Marin vs Specialized

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-09, 03:59 PM
dgieralt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Evryone, I'm having hard time deciding on a bike these bikes are on sale Trek 7.3 $519,Marin Fairfax $589,Marin Point Reyes $599, Scott Speedster S60 FB $589 Specialized Sirrus Sport $580. Can I get your opinion and help me vote which bike is the best deal for the money? Any input is gratly appreciated.

Last edited by dgieralt; 08-25-09 at 04:24 PM. Reason: error
Old 08-25-09, 04:44 PM
fatboy cycling

Bikes: 2015 Access Chinook Bravo Fat Bike /2012 Scott CR1 Comp /2009 Trek FX 7.3 White-Silver Duotone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are they all the same year model? I'm assuming they are 2009 bikes. The Trek and Marin bikes are good deals. Just compare the prices you gave to the ones suggested on their web sites. I have a 7.3 and like it. I have a friend who has a Fairfax and it is a nice bike and I believe it to be better than my 7.3. As for Specialized I don't know.
Old 08-25-09, 05:23 PM
baldsue
pedaler

Bikes: 2023 Brompton C Line Electric

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have the Marin Point Reyes. It's a heavier bike than the Fairfax. The Fairfax is closer to a road bike whereas the Point Reyes is closer to a mountain bike. At $599 the MPR is quite a deal.
Old 08-26-09, 05:52 AM
meanwhile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If in doubt, eliminate the bikes that can't take a 38mm tyre (a fast premium 38mm like a Marthon Supreme is probably optimum for general riding and commuting) with a fender. That would be the Sirrus gone at least. Other than that, don't worry. Just buy the bike that feels right and comes from a bike store you trust. The bikes will be built to much the same standard in their Taiwanese? Chinese? factories, but the store does final assembly and will fix problems.
Old 08-26-09, 06:13 AM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
What? !?!?! No Giants?

As has been mentioned, the bikes listed are all likely to be similar quality, as with any other similar model from any major manufacturer for about the same price.

If you really want help, I think that you haven't given nearly enough information about how you expect to ride, what your preferences are, etc.

What do you think are the relevant differences in the bikes?

Also, don't forget to figure in to your decision how well you like the specific shop you plan to buy from. If you like one shop a lot more than the others, then pick from their lines... That could help narrow the list real fast.

And don't forget that among similar bikes from all the manufacturers... There is nothing wrong with picking the one you just think looks the best.

EDIT: Don't forget to test ride... sometimes a bike just feels right.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 08-26-09, 06:58 AM
Terrierman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I were looking into those bikes I would try to ride them and buy the one that suited me best. From a shop that I liked. Try before you buy is never bad advice, even if I'm the one giving it.
Old 08-26-09, 10:45 AM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Above all,ride them and decide.

As for my input,I used to own a Fairfax,and own a Pt Reyes. The Fairfax was light and handled well,the triple gave it a good gear range although it was geared a touch tall. The Pt Reyes would be the choice for all weather riding;it'll take the widest tires(and proper MTB knobbies) and has disc brakes. I would avoid the Scott;alloy forks and skinny tires are a painful combo on all but perfectly smooth roads.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 08-27-09, 01:05 AM
gepilling

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Sirrus Sport & 2018 Trek Marlin 6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a 2009 Specialized Sirrus Sport about 2 months ago and I absolutely love it, it's just fantastic. I tested at least a dozen different bikes and it was just the best overall package, it had the lightest weight, a great ride, nice components, etc. I did test the Trek 7.3 FX and it was no competition for the Sirrus in my opinion, but I never considered the Marin or the Scott bike so I don't know how they would compare.

One bike I would recommend to you, if you like the Sirrus, you might also like the Bianchi Iseo. See if you can find a bike shop that sells Bianchi bikes near you and give that one a try, it was also a great one and cost the same.
Old 08-27-09, 07:13 AM
dgieralt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile Big Thank You

Just a thank you 4 evryones input! HAVE A GREAT DAY!