Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Will this affect the integrityof the helmet?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-09, 08:28 AM
Square & Compas
Banned.

Bikes: Vision R40 Recumbent

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have an Specialized Airforce helmet. Love it, only a few years old, do not need a new one, will not buy a new one for a while. I use the visor. Mainly because it is what I attach my helmet mirror to. Attaching it to my glasses is NOT an option and something I WILL NOT do. Riding with out the helmet IS NOT an option either.

Yesterday the tab that holds the visor on the helemt broke. I tried super glue and it did not work. I could "drill" a small hole through the front of the helmet and use a cable tie to keep the helmet in place. But I am wondering if this will affect the integrity of the helmet or how much. I suppose if I had an impact to that small specific area it could affect it. Typically impacts to the front of the helmet are in the arear aboove the immediate front, which is where the visor attaches to.

Any suggestions? Before you answer let me make clear again:
1. Attaching the mirror to my glasses is NOT an option. Tried it and did not like it and it damaged a previous pair.
2. Replacing the helmet is NOT an option. Nothing wrong with this one, except the issue with the visor.
3. Riding with out the helmet is NOT an option. Don't think I need to explain this one, it should be obvious.

Thanks.
Old 10-08-09, 08:45 AM
lineinthewater

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have no idea if it would affect the integrity of the helmet. But I would try other options before drilling.

Have you considered buying a new mirror - one that is designed to attach directly to the helmet? That is what I use. Works great.

Also, have you tried RTV / silicone to attach your current mirror - or maybe 3M foam double-stick tape? I'd be hesitant to recommend 5-minute epoxy because it may affect the surface of the helmet - but another possible option. I'm not familiar with the visor attachment so don't know if that is feasible.
Old 10-08-09, 08:55 AM
RapidRobert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Go ahead and drill the helmet to mount the mirror. A couple of little holes won't make any difference.
Old 10-08-09, 08:57 AM
Speedo

Bikes: Univega Gran Turismo, Guerciotti, Bridgestone MB2, Bike Friday New World Tourist, Serotta Ti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not an expert, but I would think that a small hole drilled through the helmet would not radically effect its performance. The helmet works in a crash by having the foam collapse allowing the deceleration of your head take place over enough space and time to limit the maximum acceleration experienced. Removing a small amount of material should only change that by a small amount.

(edit) I'd try the glue suggestions first though.(/edit)

Speedo
Old 10-08-09, 09:00 AM
old and new

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RapidRobert
Go ahead and drill the helmet to mount the mirror. A couple of little holes won't make any difference.
My evaluation too

Impacts compromises helmets as do frequent minor impacts, repeted dropping over the years. I don't see tiny holes causing a problem.
Old 10-08-09, 09:01 AM
lineinthewater

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Check this out guys - https://www.instructables.com/id/S74R1CFFLLZV8KU/

M-I-C-K-E-Y .... M-O-U-S-E

Last edited by lineinthewater; 10-08-09 at 09:11 AM.
Old 10-08-09, 09:06 AM
yes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The integrity of the helmet will be shot. It will start lying to you, it will be worn by anyone, and it will practice 'creative' accounting.
Suggest you strap one of these over the helmet
Old 10-08-09, 09:13 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Try gorilla glue. It worked for me when I couldn't get anything else to stick to helmet plastic. Ideally you can rough the surface up a bit with some sandpaper first to give a better grip, and be sure to wet the surface first; gorilla glue requires moisture to react to. It'll work a bit with just moisture in the air, but a little more on the surface helps a lot.
Old 10-08-09, 09:22 AM
Square & Compas
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I say "drill" I mean use a small nail or screw to punch or poke a hole, not use a dril and drill bit.
Old 10-08-09, 09:25 AM
Square & Compas
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the gorilla glue idea. I'll try that first. If it doen't work I'll poke a small hole in and use the ties to attacht he visor to the helmet.
Old 10-08-09, 09:28 AM
kendall

Bikes: too many

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll second orrilla glue, strong stuff. Make sure you have a way of clamping it in position. Gorrilla glue works so well because it expands so you don't have unglued voids between surfaces.

A small hole won't efect the integrity of the helmet, make sure you go through a thick section and not right along an edge to make sure there is enough strength in the surrounding area.

As for the instructable image above (haven't followed link) putting bolts and metal in something designed to protect you, would make me a bit nervous.

Ken.
Old 10-08-09, 10:04 AM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
If you are worried about a couple of small holes in the styrofoam, note the large holes already there.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 10-08-09, 10:10 AM
lineinthewater

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by kendall
As for the instructable image above (haven't followed link) putting bolts and metal in something designed to protect you, would make me a bit nervous.
That was obviously a joke - just had to share.

But you do bring up an excellent point - adding metal/other that could essentially turn into a projectile during an impact to the helmet is a really bad idea.
Old 10-08-09, 10:18 AM
RapidRobert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mounting metal chunks, like a headlight or a camera, will certainly negate any small benefits a helmet provides as well. they don't test them with metal chunks attached. metal chunks increase the liklihood of a snag, or rotational injuries to the neck. If you hit one of those pointy little pieces directly in a fall, what do you think the local forces would be on the helmet underneath?
Old 10-08-09, 10:21 AM
lineinthewater

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RapidRobert
If you hit one of those pointy little pieces directly in a fall, what do you think the local forces would be on the helmet underneath?
Not to mention your skull. Look where that bolt on the visor is pointing on the pic I posted.
Old 10-08-09, 10:41 AM
meanwhile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
Try gorilla glue.
Seconded. It's amazing stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if Gorilla Tape was adequate to the job.

If I was going to make a hole in a helmet, then I'd probably be inclined to make it with a hot needle instead of drilling: helmets are very vulnerable and the thin shell is both delicate and critical to successful operation. Drilling might damage the helmet shell or it might not.

Last edited by meanwhile; 10-08-09 at 10:49 AM.
Old 10-08-09, 11:11 AM
Square & Compas
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by meanwhile
Seconded. It's amazing stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if Gorilla Tape was adequate to the job.
That's an even better idea. I have both, I'll try the tape first.
Old 10-08-09, 11:22 AM
Square & Compas
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I suppose I could replace the visor. Here is the one I need: https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...=9301&eid=4952

It is kind of hard to seebecause it blends in with the rest of the helmet in this photo, even in the enlarged pic, but the tab that broke is the top one. There is a little knob piece that snaps into an indention on the front of the helmet in the center most vent in the front of the helmet.
Old 10-09-09, 06:55 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
ShoeGoo should work, $4.00 at Wal-Mart.
Old 10-09-09, 07:05 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Square & Compas
I have an Specialized Airforce helmet. Love it, only a few years old, do not need a new one, will not buy a new one for a while. I use the visor. Mainly because it is what I attach my helmet mirror to. Attaching it to my glasses is NOT an option and something I WILL NOT do. Riding with out the helmet IS NOT an option either.

Yesterday the tab that holds the visor on the helemt broke. I tried super glue and it did not work. I could "drill" a small hole through the front of the helmet and use a cable tie to keep the helmet in place. But I am wondering if this will affect the integrity of the helmet or how much. I suppose if I had an impact to that small specific area it could affect it. Typically impacts to the front of the helmet are in the arear aboove the immediate front, which is where the visor attaches to.

Any suggestions? Before you answer let me make clear again:
1. Attaching the mirror to my glasses is NOT an option. Tried it and did not like it and it damaged a previous pair.
2. Replacing the helmet is NOT an option. Nothing wrong with this one, except the issue with the visor.
3. Riding with out the helmet is NOT an option. Don't think I need to explain this one, it should be obvious.

Thanks.
Have you gone to and asked your LBS if they have any extra visors? Or maybe contacting Specialized to see about getting a replacement visor?
Old 10-10-09, 03:49 AM
Ajenkins
Dogs like me.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeesh, it's not like the helmet provides much protection anyway. I think you are mistaken when you assume that there is some sort of complex structural interaction going on. It's just a wad of molded foam.

So, drill away, glue up, and don't worry about it.
Old 10-10-09, 05:16 AM
meanwhile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ajenkins
Yeesh, it's not like the helmet provides much protection anyway.
This is true.

I think you are mistaken when you assume that there is some sort of complex structural interaction going on. It's just a wad of molded foam.
But this isn't. Helmet operation depends on the foam liner compressing against the thin outer shell, but shell failures are common and shell strength is marginal - because the shell is heavy, it is made as thin as possible.
Old 10-10-09, 06:20 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,563 Times in 1,061 Posts
Originally Posted by Ajenkins
Yeesh, it's not like the helmet provides much protection anyway. I think you are mistaken when you assume that there is some sort of complex structural interaction going on. It's just a wad of molded foam.

So, drill away, glue up, and don't worry about it.
I'm rather sure a bicycle helmet will provide just as much (i.e. just as little) significant risk reduction/protection to its wearer, whether it is intact, or drilled, zip tied or duct tapped to a mirror.
Old 10-10-09, 12:52 PM
wsbob

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I'd try and talk to Specialized about the failure of the visor peg. Why did it happen? On the other hand, if it's normal wear and tear, exposure to ultraviolet light and so forth, a no-charge replacement might not be approved. If the helmet hasn't seen much of that in its 2-3 year life, as some have helmets haven't, maybe there's a problem with materials or production quality.

I use a cheap Bell Solar...it doesn't have a visor. Kind of wanted a helmet with a visor, but one reason I didn't get one is because it seemed to me that the whole arrangement of visor design and its means of attachment to the helmet...just simple holes drilled into the helmet shell...was weak. As it turns out, I don't need a visor anyway...the lip of the helmet edge mostly gives me enough protection from the sun's direct rays.

Re; the helmet shell's function: One of the really beneficial things a helmet shell with a smooth surface does is allow the helmet wearers head to slide away from the impacted surface rather than grab it, bringing everything to a sudden stop. I figure this has got to be better than hair and skull hitting the pavement, or one of the little cotton cycling caps between the head and pavement. Also, the best helmet shape minimizing twisting forces on the wearers anatomy is said to be the round shape, rather than any of those that have the elongated shape for style or aerodynamics.
Old 10-10-09, 05:36 PM
Jonahhobbes
Gutter Bunny

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not just Specialized same thing happened to my Giro too, lots of gluing and cussing and it now stays in place.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.