Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

5 snowmen and studded tires

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-09, 02:22 PM
CastIron
Sensible shoes.

Bikes: A few.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Really, it's way too early and those things seem heavier every year. Such was my commute yesterday.
Originally Posted by cedricbosch
Why am I in your signature.
Old 10-13-09, 02:26 PM
daredevil
cyclepath

Bikes: 2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CastIron
Really, it's way too early and those things seem heavier every year. Such was my commute yesterday.
I hear ya man. 6 degrees for me yesterday. Ice and snow last Friday. October 13....sheesh.
Old 10-22-09, 04:22 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Which studded tires are you using?
Old 10-22-09, 04:28 PM
Old Town
Sailing Cyclist

Bikes: Kona mountain and hybrid. Other assorted junk.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't see any snow where I am but the idea of studs on a bike is wild. How much does a set of studs on a MTB with say 2.25s slow you down when compared to regular knobbies? Let's take the snow resistance out of the equation. Run both sets of tires on a flat dirt road. I have no use for snow tires but I think they're cool concept on a bike.
Old 10-22-09, 04:34 PM
PaulRivers

Originally Posted by Old Town
I don't see any snow where I am but the idea of studs on a bike is wild. How much does a set of studs on a MTB with say 2.25s slow you down when compared to regular knobbies? Let's take the snow resistance out of the equation. Run both sets of tires on a flat dirt road. I have no use for snow tires but I think they're cool concept on a bike.
I cannot speak to that, but I think my 35c Schwalbe Marathon winter tires, inflated to 70psi (for occasional ice conditions) slow me down less than 1mph, whereas switching from knobby mountain bike tires (on the road) to slicks improved my speed by 2-3 mph at least.
Old 10-23-09, 09:08 AM
CastIron
Sensible shoes.

Bikes: A few.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulRivers
Which studded tires are you using?
Not my video, but it covers the point well.

I put 'em on in late fall and take 'em off in spring. Get about 5k from a set (two winters for me).
Originally Posted by cedricbosch
Why am I in your signature.
Old 10-23-09, 03:22 PM
PaulRivers

Not my video, but it covers the point well.

I put 'em on in late fall and take 'em off in spring. Get about 5k from a set (two winters for me).
Wait, wait, wait - you live in St. Paul? I live in St. Paul! Why on earth are you using the highest rolling resistance studded tire available? Lol. :-) It's my recollection that they even *plow* the bike trails here...

Have you thought of trying a lower rolling resistance studded tire? I know several people who run Nokian 106's all winter. One doesn't even own a car, he seems to think it's enough - and believe me, he's not some young reckless guy...

Last edited by PaulRivers; 10-23-09 at 03:25 PM.
Old 10-23-09, 04:26 PM
daredevil
cyclepath

Bikes: 2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by PaulRivers
Wait, wait, wait - you live in St. Paul? I live in St. Paul! Why on earth are you using the highest rolling resistance studded tire available? Lol. :-) It's my recollection that they even *plow* the bike trails here...

Have you thought of trying a lower rolling resistance studded tire? I know several people who run Nokian 106's all winter. One doesn't even own a car, he seems to think it's enough - and believe me, he's not some young reckless guy...
uh, your location says Mpls. That offends the other St. Paul folks.

I grew up in St. Paul, Highland High and Hamline grad.
Old 10-23-09, 10:37 PM
PaulRivers

Originally Posted by daredevil
uh, your location says Mpls. That offends the other St. Paul folks.

I grew up in St. Paul, Highland High and Hamline grad.
Lol, I live by the Ford Parkway bridge at the moment, but I'm moving back to Minneapolis Nov. 1st (at least I think I am...err...). It's kind of sad, I really like St. Paul, but every place I've rented has given me a headache if I spend to much time there. Maybe I have a tumor, haha. But there's a *ton* of crappy, crappy rental property in St. Paul, and almost no modern stuff that's reasonably priced. :-(

Anyways, back to the topic, at hand... :-) Why are you running such high rolling resistance tires here? Seems like the Schwalbe Marathon Winters or Nokian 106's would handle things for you for like 95% of the winter...