Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Mixte help

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-09, 09:03 AM
UnsafeAlpine
Domestic Domestique

Bikes: Brand New Old Catamount! Schwinn Homegrown, Specialized FSR, Salsa Vaya, Salsa Chile Con Crosso

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Mixte help

I've been looking for a mixte for my girlfriend and I'm wondering if I'm actually doing the right thing. She is 5'10" and we ride the same size frame (56cm) but the mixtes I've seen are measured very short. The reason I want to get a mixte for her is that I want to build up a cute townie.

Is this a good idea, or should I change my plans?
Old 11-24-09, 09:29 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1244 Post(s)
Liked 990 Times in 637 Posts
I have never seen a mixte that would fit a woman that tall. Mixtes are hard enough to find. A tall one might be out there, if so, it is extremely rare. I would just get a classic Japanese road bike from the 1980s and add townie style handlebars.

An even cheaper option is to get one of the rigid frame MTBs from the 1990s, they are really cheap, have good components, and make nice around town rides (but may not be "cute". Where I live, its hills and mountains in all directions, can't go a block without riding a serious hill. So I appreciate the gearing of a MTB.

You could play around with the colors, bar tape, and the handlebars, and make this bike just about any style. This is my foul weather ride, so I was not concerned about making it cute.

thrifty bill

Old 11-24-09, 10:05 AM
old and new

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good idea. I encountered a similar, very similar situation with my big sister. She's not that big @ 5'7 + I guess but she's an "agressive" or more aptly called a strong/ guy-like rider. A few bikes she'd borrowed and bought are just plain too short. She hates drop bars and will only tolerate a step thru. Not nec. to change your plans, I didn't, I just ened-up with a number of "wrong bikes", more than I care to admit, too many female specific bikes. Female spec. bikes are shorter, always. At 5"10", your lady's tall.
Pricier models typically are offered in the not so small sizes. Newer, upright Hybrids are short, short.

Mixte frames are all the rage. Motobecane, Peugeot are pricey, the pre-1979s or some Pugs. even later have that funky thread think goin' on, I'd be hard pressed to rec. 'em. In their defence though, these brands are less shorty types. You need a 19 to 21" ((48cm to 53 or so) virtual top tube length. Meas. center of seat tube to center of head tube. Hey... I'm not speaking out of school here, it's by your own admission that such a size is warranted. A guy would need one notch up, perhaps. Guys ALWAYS have longer arms and our bodies bend lower down on our torso. I've fit 5'9" gals as well. Many fem.frames are 49cm(19") CORE size which is seat tube length, though not of concern as such, being a step-thru, is the nominal size of bikes. Youi need to shoot for closer to a 21" as mixed and lady's frames, other step thrus were meas. inches.

I looked in e-bay, two that I spotted; a Miyata 10, a lesser Miyata and a Schwinn. I've Nishikis, B.Stones as well as the first two brands. Don't dismiss Japanese bikes. IMO, I wouldn't dismiss other step-thrus either. True Mixte frames were offered on and off. Availabilty will dictate choices so there's no point in my giving a long list. As for Schwinns, NON mixte; World Sports and up are good. Sprints OK but cheap.
Old 11-24-09, 11:09 AM
BlankCrows
Avenir Equipped

Bikes: Chesini X-Uno, etc.....

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They did make some bigger ones. I've got a pretty tall (19.5" seat tube), red Motobecane mixte in the garage. I've had it for sale before and the interested buyers were all too short for it, but loved how it looks.
Old 11-24-09, 11:19 AM
Tom Velo Orange
Bike ***** Poster

Bikes: Velo Orange, '91 Wicked Fat Chance, '99 Sycip Hardtail, '02 Sycip Pave custom, Benotto fixed, a playafied Bridgestone MB-3 and a bunch of hacks, beaters, townies, and 'projects'.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We (Velo Orange) are producing a Mixte frameset in 3 sizes- 51,54, and 57cm. The top tube is a bit longer, intended to be used with handlebars that sweep back.

https://velo-orange.com/vomifrcoso.html

End of January delivery, if everything goes perfect.

From time to time, larger Ross and Schwinn Ladies bikes pop up in the 21 and 23" sizes. but they are not a true mixte design. and they are not exactly performance oriented.
Old 11-24-09, 11:22 AM
UnsafeAlpine
Domestic Domestique

Bikes: Brand New Old Catamount! Schwinn Homegrown, Specialized FSR, Salsa Vaya, Salsa Chile Con Crosso

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Velo Orange
We (Velo Orange) are producing a Mixte frameset in 3 sizes- 51,54, and 57cm. The top tube is a bit longer, intended to be used with handlebars that sweep back.

https://velo-orange.com/vomifrcoso.html

End of January delivery, if everything goes perfect.

From time to time, larger Ross and Schwinn Ladies bikes pop up in the 21 and 23" sizes. but they are not a true mixte design. and they are not exactly performance oriented.
Oh dang, that's a pretty frame and would be perfect. It's out of my price range though.
Old 11-24-09, 11:29 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1244 Post(s)
Liked 990 Times in 637 Posts
I would consider a 19.5 inch seat tube far too small for a woman 5-10. I have had 17 inch and 19 inch mixtes, which are the more common sizes, and both are far too small for her IMHO.
Old 11-24-09, 11:56 AM
Jasmijo

Bikes: 2009 Jamis Sputnik, a couple of old mixtes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a mixte frame with a 21" seat tube. I had a 20" that I sold a while ago, too. So taller frames are out there. I found both on CL.
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...fit&highlight=
Old 11-24-09, 12:02 PM
that_guy_zach

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have a LE tour mixte I ride. And Im 6'2 and a guy.
Old 11-24-09, 12:08 PM
UnsafeAlpine
Domestic Domestique

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by that_guy_zach
What size is it?
Old 11-24-09, 12:10 PM
rcschafer

Bikes: '59 Raleigh Lenton, '86 Peugeot PSN-10 Triathalon, '84 Peugeot PGN-10, 8? Peugeot UE-18, Peugeot NS-540, '86 Giant Iguana (Xtracycle), Holdsworth Gemini tandem, Surly Cross Check fixie, '86 Centurion MV Ironman

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Larger mixtes do exist - keep looking. I'm 6' and found a 57cm Peugeot UE-18 that's quite comfortable.
Old 11-24-09, 12:23 PM
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
I would consider a 19.5 inch seat tube far too small for a woman 5-10. I have had 17 inch and 19 inch mixtes, which are the more common sizes, and both are far too small for her IMHO.
Almost all the mixtes I've handled have been 17" or 19". Those seem to be the popular sizes, or at least the most commonly made. That being said, I have had 21" frames pass through my hands, including a very pretty NOS Legnano frame set that I built up with Shimano 105 and sold. They're out there.....

S. J. Perelman
Old 11-24-09, 12:56 PM
old and new

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by that_guy_zach
Seems like a VG option for the OP... LeTours came Mixte throughout the years, others dual top tube.
The fact that most Japan Built ones were hitens so doesn't matter in a Mixte.
Old 11-24-09, 01:42 PM
CACycling

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Roubaix RC; 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
My wife is 5' 9" and, while not exactly a mixte, she fits well on her '78 Le Tour.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2343864268_537cf52b04_m.jpg (18.8 KB, 92 views)
Old 11-24-09, 01:43 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,413 Times in 913 Posts
I happen to have a "56cm" Mixte. It's huge, relatively speaking, takes the same fork as my 56cm road bikes. In road setup, it fit me just fine, but my wife can't begin to fit on it. I've got a short 65mm stem, dropped the saddle to the top of the post, and am using upright comfort bars with MTB controls. She sits basically upright. I don't know what I'll do if the reach is still too long once I get it done. It's longer and taller than her 16" MTB, by far. It's also at least 10lbs lighter, so she wants to give it a whirl before I punt and sell it.

They're out there. I bought it thinking "how big can a mixte be?" Pretty big, I find.
Old 11-24-09, 05:03 PM
r0ckh0und 

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 105 Posts
I have a couple as well.........21" and 22" LeTours (not true mixte) and a 22" Pug
Old 11-24-09, 07:10 PM
Jasmijo

Bikes: 2009 Jamis Sputnik, a couple of old mixtes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/bik/1481178511.html

Here's one in Chicago.
Attached Images
Old 11-24-09, 09:18 PM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 356 Posts
I'm in Chicago and want to get this out of my garage.
22 inch Bottechia. Fantastic condition and look at all the chrome! PM me if interested.
Old 11-24-09, 09:22 PM
UnsafeAlpine
Domestic Domestique

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by big chainring
I'm in Chicago and want to get this out of my garage.
22 inch Bottechia. Fantastic condition and look at all the chrome! PM me if interested.
Oh lordy... That's jaw droppingly gorgeous but there's no way I could afford a beauty like that. Hopefully it will go to someone who can appreciate it.
Old 11-25-09, 01:15 AM
sunburst

Bikes: Giant, Peugeots, Motobecanes, Kona, Specialized, Bike Friday, Ironhorse, Royal Scot, Schwinns

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 58 Posts
I'm 5'10" also. I've got two Peugeot mixtes, in small and medium (I guess). The medium one is very similar in size to my 56 cm Trek road bike. But both fit me fine. I actually like the slightly more upright position of the smaller one. So yes, absolutely, you can find her a mixte that will work as a town bike. They are very cool, and imo, there is no substitute for their particular charm.

If I were you, I'd save up my pennies and buy that Bottechia, mount some upright bars and a Brooks B67. Your woman would be set! But if it's out of your range, I've bought 3 Peugeot mixtes and one Nishiki, all $100 each. They needed plenty of work, but you know, that builds character.
Old 11-25-09, 01:33 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 513 Post(s)
Quoted: 7395 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,490 Posts
Why a mixte?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-25-09, 04:03 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 1383 Post(s)
Liked 1,772 Times in 949 Posts
Why a mixte?
A good question. I am aware that Mixte frame sets are becoming more sought after but cannot understand why. This is hardly a problem since I have several Mixte bicycles including two Peugeots (one of which is the touring model with fenders, lights, racks etc), a Sekine, a Raleigh Gran Prix, a Sekine, a Le Circuit, a Le Jeune and who knows what else is back there in The Old Shed.

Again, the question is why are they so popular?
Old 11-25-09, 05:31 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 3,108 Times in 1,768 Posts
Why not a mixte, assuming that the rider isn't planning on racing? No real disadvantages, and at least one big advantage: the headtube is always substantially longer than on the equivalent diamond-frame size. I'm surprised that no one ever seems to mention that in mixte discussions. The taller headtube is a big benefit for women with long legs and short torso and arms.

By the way, the OP might be well advised to PM big chainring on that yellow Bottechia mixte. Steel rims, steel cranks, Simplex gearset, entry-level bike-boom bike; it's beautiful, but its value in the marketplace is not particularly high.

Last edited by Trakhak; 11-25-09 at 05:36 AM.
Old 11-25-09, 05:40 AM
old and new

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by randyjawa
A good question. I am aware that Mixte frame sets are becoming more sought after but cannot understand why. This is hardly a problem since I have several Mixte bicycles including two Peugeots (one of which is the touring model with fenders, lights, racks etc), a Sekine, a Raleigh Gran Prix, a Sekine, a Le Circuit, a Le Jeune and who knows what else is back there in The Old Shed.

Again, the question is why are they so popular?
Pretty funny... Wasn't sure it was you that had written that before. I recalled yesterday that someone had, about having some stashed. Maybe somene else, they put it..." a pile.. can't..get rid...." ANYWAY....... That which some take for granted is highly sought after by someone at some point. They ARE all the rage.
I believe a semi-mixed, any step-thru ought to do myself.
Old 11-25-09, 08:14 AM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
By the way, the OP might be well advised to PM big chainring on that yellow Bottechia mixte. Steel rims, steel cranks, Simplex gearset, entry-level bike-boom bike; it's beautiful, but its value in the marketplace is not particularly high.

+1, get in touch about that Bottechia. It is very attractive, but it should not be a bank breaker. That said, be aware that those plastic simplex derialleurs have a nasty reputation. It's nothing a twenty dollar suntour derailleur can't fix!
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.