Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Accident Status -(from Jul 2009)

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-10, 08:16 PM
Red Baron

Bikes: Not enough

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

No pictures - But I did Have a serious accident Jul 18th POSTED BACK THEN - while in the US. SUV pulled in front of me, he going in to a subdivision. I was thrown about 40 feet, landed on my back. No Broken Bones.

I did PT from Jul - to Nov (I live in the Philippine) and I am HAPPY to declare my self 99+% OK. (I'm still stiff and sore when i get up in mornings)

Lessons I've learned:
-be prepared at all times (I was a boy scout- EAGLE). I did not allow myself to get in front of vechicle - I hit him, not he hit me. As i was flying in air I saw his face and recognized he was quite Old (he turned out to be 84, I'm 62) I thought 'my gosh - he won't stop in time. So I ROLLED away on impact w/pavement as I knew he could not stop in time, He would have run over me had I not done that.

I went into a Tuck position. I practiced on side of my swimming pool- falling in a tuck position. I think most people stick out an arm and break coler bones, clavicles.

Be nice - After impact he scame up to me and asked You OK- I said No get an ambulance - He asked "Why didn't you stop?" I said "I have right of way - i'm paying for your mistake". Tears started coming out of his eyes upon understanding that.

My Mistake after accident- TAKE IT SLOW. I visited Dr during my US trip in Nov, he said SLOW DOWN!!!! Best advice from him. - Since then I've rridden mostly in zone B2 (60-70% max HR) or slower. that is hard to do.

I guess I ddo feel Older having Dr's tell me to slow down rather than Cops, but it works. A rest day is training day.

Most of all i give thanks to god - I was extremely fortunate and acknowledge that he was watching over me that day.

UNDERSTAND the US is a non-friendly auto/bike country - In Nov during a ride, I had several instances of folks shouting at me to get off the (&^%'ng road. I reported all instances to the police- I carry cell phone, and quickly remember License plate numbers. When i call (speed dial) I say "ABC-123" - meaning whatever license plate was, repeat it and then report the incident.

Speaking of cell phones, My left hip was hurt the most, i THINK that was because i was carrying my cell in my jersey pocket and i landed on it. No more, it goes in a saddle bag.

So far his insurance has paid for my bike and all medical bills to date. I don't know what happens after this, but I don't wish to hire a lawyer. All i wanted is to get well.

BESt AND MOSTY IMPORTANT LESSON- LIFE IS GOOD - ESPECIALLY IF YOU TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THE BENEFITS OF GOOD EXCERSISE, LEARN TO EAT WELL, AND JUST APPRECIATE THE GOOd THINGS IN LIFE.

Happy Biking All in 2010+
Old 01-01-10, 08:27 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 227 Posts
Happy New Year! Keep working on that 1% that you haven't recovered, yet.
Old 01-01-10, 08:58 PM
Kurt Erlenbach

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A great report, and tremendous advice.

I know that when my day comes I will not be able to avoid sticking out an arm. I suspect that a broken clavicle would be a good result.

The part about being nice - it doesn't sound like you did anything wrong. There's nothing inappropriate about making sure a driver who caused an accident, no matter what age, knows he is at fault and making sure that you know he is at fault. You shouldn't be a jerk about it - and you weren't - but driving safely is too important to be unclear about it.