Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Biking shirtless vs wearing a jersey

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!
View Poll Results: Do you bike shirtless or wear a jersey?
I always wear a jersey
84.41%
I always bike shirtless
1.49%
I bike shirtless if the weather permits
14.11%
Voters: 404. You may not vote on this poll

Biking shirtless vs wearing a jersey

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-04, 06:33 AM
mntbikedude
Stand For Something

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock, Raleigh M60

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This summer I rode about 700 miles down the pacific coast, wash, ore, and calif. It was unusually warm and in 17 days of riding no rain. I ended up riding most of the time shirtless.

I notice that most bikers wear jerseys and wondered if there is an actual reason to wear one over riding shirtless, (besides the risk of skin cancer). On hot sticky days it just felt better with out the jersey. Can anyone else relate to this

MBD

Last edited by mntbikedude; 08-22-04 at 06:43 AM.
Old 08-22-04, 07:05 AM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
The closest to shirtlesss I get is like this.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 08-22-04, 07:36 AM
oxologic

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you still wear a bike shorts, or a bib?? It feels weird to ride topless, not that it looks disgusting or anything, but the shorts makes it pretty weird since you'll pull it up high.

Surely it is okay, besides the risk of skin cancer. I have yet to try it though. I use a Camelbak which obviously I carry over my back, and with that, it is pretty warm around my back. When I do not ride with it, it's a lot cooler. Definitely, without a jersey, it will be much cooler. If you look good shirtless, go ahead, why not? However, keep your ego aside, don't be too proud of your torso, I'm sure some people won't be interested in watching a guy shirtless. It really depends, but try at least wearing a singlet. That is what I wear, a nike dri-fit singlet if I do not wear a jersey.
Old 08-22-04, 07:47 AM
mntbikedude
Stand For Something

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oxologic
Do you still wear a bike shorts, or a bib?? It feels weird to ride topless, not that it looks disgusting or anything, but the shorts makes it pretty weird since you'll pull it up high.

Surely it is okay, besides the risk of skin cancer. I have yet to try it though. I use a Camelbak which obviously I carry over my back, and with that, it is pretty warm around my back. When I do not ride with it, it's a lot cooler. Definitely, without a jersey, it will be much cooler. If you look good shirtless, go ahead, why not? However, keep your ego aside, don't be too proud of your torso, I'm sure some people won't be interested in watching a guy shirtless. It really depends, but try at least wearing a singlet. That is what I wear, a nike dri-fit singlet if I do not wear a jersey.
Yeah I wear just black bottom bike shorts. And it doesn't feel weird, zooming down a hill with the ocean to your right and the wind on your chest feels friggin awesome. I really don't care what other people think. I do feel confident however. And regarding people one of my favorite things about a bike tour is all the people that stop you and want to know all about your trip. People didn't treat me any different with or without a shirt.

MBD
Old 08-22-04, 10:31 AM
cyclezealot

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
I just find the wicking properties of jersey's..I have no need to ride shirtless. No matter what kind of base you have, seems the back and chest area burn far more readily than my arms.
I ride with one cyclists, wears long sleeve jersey's almost all of the year, no matter what.
I almost feel jerseys are cooler than shirtless...That is why many pro cyclists always wear a base under a jersey even when it is hot.
Also, I think my jerseys are pretty cool...Enjoy wearing them..
I do prefer a long zipper though to help air circulation when climbing in the heat.. Yes, some male cyclists do sort of gross out the rest tho, when they go shirtless.
Old 08-22-04, 02:08 PM
bpohl
Disgruntled Planner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If shirtless works for you, then great. I would go crazy without all of my pockets, though. I'm usually a walking...err, riding... cafeteria on long rides, so I have to have a place to put all of that food! I guess if you were using panniers that wouldn't be a problem.
Old 08-22-04, 04:06 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by mntbikedude
This summer I rode about 700 miles down the pacific coast, wash, ore, and calif. It was unusually warm and in 17 days of riding no rain. I ended up riding most of the time shirtless.

I notice that most bikers wear jerseys and wondered if there is an actual reason to wear one over riding shirtless, (besides the risk of skin cancer). On hot sticky days it just felt better with out the jersey. Can anyone else relate to thisMBD
Are you male or female?
Old 08-22-04, 04:20 PM
Zin
On your what?!?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nobody wants to see me shirtless.
Proud member of Colorado's Best Cycling Club - Club Hypoxia
Old 08-26-04, 08:16 AM
mntbikedude
Stand For Something

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Are you male or female?
hah nice one..... male
Old 08-26-04, 08:18 AM
mntbikedude
Stand For Something

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I didn't realize how odd this was. But according to the poll, looks like I go to the beat of a different drummer and I better conform to the norms of being a biker..... ummm or not.

MBD
Old 08-26-04, 08:49 AM
MMPC
Big Man Riding...

Bikes: '07 Fuji Roubaix RC, '04 Kona Hoss, '95 Cannondale RT2000 Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey mntbikedude - what route did you take and what kind of trip stats (average mileage per day/MPH, etc.) did you rack up? Do you have any good links/book recommendations or did you just wing it? Some friends and I are planning to ride from Seattle to San Francisco next fall and I'm always interested to hear about trips in that area. Were those your general starting/finishing points or did you go somewhere else?

Thanks. Oh yeah, and I ride with a wicking shirt or jersey. Like N7CZinMT, nobody wants to see me shirtless...
Old 08-26-04, 10:25 AM
mntbikedude
Stand For Something

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey MMPC we started in Victoria BC.... and took the coastal route. Alot of people said there wasnt much to see going that way. But I totally loved it. I had worried alot about Lake Cresent, because the guilde book warned of its dangers. Fast cars and no shoulders. But it really wasn't bad and the beauty of it was amazing. We hit it the first day riding and half way around it, I just started sobbing because it was so amazingly beautifull. Also lake Quinalt, two of my favorite places in the world.

Thru Washington we pretty much followed the suggested route in Biking the Pacific Coast. I think that is an invaluble tool and they cover both the inland and coastal route from Seattle.

Thru Washington we ave 50 miles per day. And that was fine although we should have spent more time at lake Quinalt and exsplored the rain forrest.

Because I had already rode the Ore coast I sent the guilde book home. The Ore coast is magic and so the plan was if there was a cool place we wanted to hang out in we would. So there we ave 35 miles a day. My previous trip we had a couple of 70 miles days in Ore. Which was insane considering how beautiful Oregon is. If you contact the Ore dept of trans. They have a dept devoted to biking the Coast and they will send you some wonderfull maps specifically for bikers. They show routes thru towns, elevations, tunnels, and campgrounds with hiker/bikers sites.

BTW here is a link to the pictures from my trip...

https://groups.msn.com/Bikingthewestcoast
Old 08-26-04, 10:34 AM
timmhaan
more ape than man

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
i've only gone shirtless once this summer, and it because it was overly hot and humid. it wasn't bad at all - felt good and i got a little sun too.
Old 08-26-04, 10:36 AM
MMPC
Big Man Riding...

Bikes: '07 Fuji Roubaix RC, '04 Kona Hoss, '95 Cannondale RT2000 Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, what great pictures, thanks for sharing them! Makes me want to head out on my trip next month instead of a year from now... I'm hopeful we'll have enough scheduling flexibility on our trip to really enjoy it. No point doing it if - as you said in one of your shots - you just go speeding by and miss some of the best sights!

I'll be sure to look into some of the information above - I really appreciate it!
Old 08-26-04, 10:59 AM
mntbikedude
Stand For Something

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One last suggestion is we flew to Seattle and took the ferry to Victoria and then back to Port Angeles. It seemed like a hassle but in the end we all agreed that it was worth the effort. Victoria was awesome.
Old 08-28-04, 10:23 AM
mntbikedude
Stand For Something

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I'm glad to see that there are at least 5 other souls that share my feelings. BTW are you aware that getting sunlight on your chest or back, can raise your testosterone over 200%. There are healthfull reasons for exsposing your skin to the sun. And yes you have to be carefull, and protect yourself from the harmfull rays. But it is interesting in our society we tend to go to extremes. (meaning over exsposure must mean no exsposure).

MBD
Old 08-28-04, 11:55 PM
BigHit-Maniac
Hucker Extraordinare

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Whats to loose?

I ride shirtless all the time.

Sun, sweat, and that nice cool air over you once your moving. It feels great. Even though I have a jersey, I just leave it in the car 1/2 the time if the weather is warm enough. Plus, I like doublin' up on good things. Cycling + getting a tan is awesome. No farmers tan. The chicks dig that.

-Matt
Old 08-29-04, 12:44 AM
TandemGeek
hors category

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
When I was in my 20's and riding around Southern California -- no jersey on those afternoon solo rides. When racing, training, on group rides or on trips through urban areas, the jersey was on.

Now that I'm in my mid-40's, married, and living/riding in Georgia, jersey with or without base layer depending on which bike and what I'm doing at the time.

1. Crash protection from road rash (also another function of a base layer)
2. Moisture management & cooling: I didn't know I had body odor until I moved out of SoCal and into the Deep South around Atlanta, GA. Having sweat dripping from your head, arms & legs is bad enough; go without a jersey and it'll stream out of your "pits", down your back and chest, and leave your bike (and anyone riding behind you) covered with a nasty salty crust.
3. Protection from UV (noting that I oiled up for my afternoon rides in SoCal)
4. Pockets in which to put "stuff"
5. Less likely to gross out my wife sitting behind me on the tandem (excess perspiration and pit-juice tend to stream off behind you)
6. I wear bibs: try explaining those to a bunch of rednecks in a pick-up truck before they realize your legs are shaved...

I would also note that in Sept '02 my wife and I rode from San Francisco to San Diego and I never felt as though I needed to get that jersey off, even on a nasty climb up Tepesquite Canyon Road on the hottest day of the year. Now, the helmet is a different story... that does come off on long hot climbs when there's not much in the way of cars on the road and goes back on once I crest the top; not a lot of "cooling action" from air moving through those vents at 5-10 mph on steep climbs.
Old 08-29-04, 06:07 PM
mntbikedude
Stand For Something

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by livngood
When I was in my 20's and riding around Southern California -- no jersey on those afternoon solo rides. When racing, training, on group rides or on trips through urban areas, the jersey was on.

Now that I'm in my mid-40's, married, and living/riding in Georgia, jersey with or without base layer depending on which bike and what I'm doing at the time.

1. Crash protection from road rash (also another function of a base layer)
2. Moisture management & cooling: I didn't know I had body odor until I moved out of SoCal and into the Deep South around Atlanta, GA. Having sweat dripping from your head, arms & legs is bad enough; go without a jersey and it'll stream out of your "pits", down your back and chest, and leave your bike (and anyone riding behind you) covered with a nasty salty crust.
3. Protection from UV (noting that I oiled up for my afternoon rides in SoCal)
4. Pockets in which to put "stuff"
5. Less likely to gross out my wife sitting behind me on the tandem (excess perspiration and pit-juice tend to stream off behind you)
6. I wear bibs: try explaining those to a bunch of rednecks in a pick-up truck before they realize your legs are shaved...

I would also note that in Sept '02 my wife and I rode from San Francisco to San Diego and I never felt as though I needed to get that jersey off, even on a nasty climb up Tepesquite Canyon Road on the hottest day of the year. Now, the helmet is a different story... that does come off on long hot climbs when there's not much in the way of cars on the road and goes back on once I crest the top; not a lot of "cooling action" from air moving through those vents at 5-10 mph on steep climbs.
Hehe ok ok so you've rationalized why you don't ride without a jersey, but I think down inside you would still like to ride like you did in your 20's
Old 08-29-04, 06:15 PM
mntbikedude
Stand For Something

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BigHit-Maniac
Whats to loose?

I ride shirtless all the time.

Sun, sweat, and that nice cool air over you once your moving. It feels great. Even though I have a jersey, I just leave it in the car 1/2 the time if the weather is warm enough. Plus, I like doublin' up on good things. Cycling + getting a tan is awesome. No farmers tan. The chicks dig that.

-Matt
Hell Yeah Matt, totaly agree with you
Old 08-29-04, 09:23 PM
Chris L
Every lane is a bike lane

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Somehow I missed this thread until now. I always wear a jersey while riding. Two words: skin cancer.

That is all.
Old 08-29-04, 09:47 PM
TandemGeek
hors category

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Hehe ok ok so you've rationalized why you don't ride without a jersey, but I think down inside you would still like to ride like you did in your 20's
Actually, no. But, thanks for reminding me how lucky I am to have a wife who shares my love of cycling. ;^)
Old 08-29-04, 10:13 PM
mntbikedude
Stand For Something

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by livngood
Actually, no. But, thanks for reminding me how lucky I am to have a wife who shares my love of cycling. ;^)
Yes you are right, you are very lucky to have that. My wife is very supportive of my biking but as of yet hasn't has not got biking herself.

MBD
Old 08-29-04, 11:25 PM
cycleprincess
NEVER WALK A HILL

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe Specialized Dolce Vita Multi Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BTW are you aware that getting sunlight on your chest or back, can raise your testosterone over 200%.

MBD
WOW...I totally need to get that man of mine out in ths sun. Maybe it's just the "jump start" he needs!!
Old 08-29-04, 11:37 PM
mntbikedude
Stand For Something

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cycleprincess
WOW...I totally need to get that man of mine out in ths sun. Maybe it's just the "jump start" he needs!!
ha ha, it really is true, you get him out in the sun now and again and he may die of skin cancer, but he'll go with a smile on his face, and a spring in his sprocket. h:

I actually got the testosterone info off a poster about the healthful effects of the sun, so it must be true

Last edited by mntbikedude; 08-30-04 at 07:00 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.