Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Does Retirement = Riding Regularity ??

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-10, 11:05 PM
'47

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'll be retiring in a little over a year. I have this notion that I'll then be able to ride a regular, more structured, more dependable training program without the conflicts of a 9 to 5 work schedule. Do most of you retired types find this to be true?

I'm hoping so.
Old 03-23-10, 01:56 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1783 Post(s)
Liked 1,315 Times in 763 Posts
I've been retired for 8 yrs. and have found that making the time to ride is a lot easier. I happen to enjoy riding alone so at least two or three times a week I get to do that.
Old 03-23-10, 04:36 AM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I hope to retire (at least from corporate slavery) within three years and I'm hoping it will mean that I will be able to do much more riding but with less need for structure. I've had plenty of structure.
Old 03-23-10, 05:19 AM
Allegheny Jet

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I retired last May, as an administrator in a public agency, then was hired back into the same position. I now work three days a week with "flexibility of schedule" and I was able to negotiate away a couple of the responsibilities I didn't like. My wife also retired last June after 30 years of teaching. After winnowing down her to-do list I would say that I do have more time to ride and less constraints regarding the "time in the saddle. Last week I rode for 14+ hours with out a comment or concern coming from the better half.
Old 03-23-10, 06:06 AM
Ken Brown
cycling fanatic

Bikes: Cannondale T800

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I retired three years ago, but for the previous 10 years had worked for myself and had a fair ability to make time for cycling. Also, I frequently cycled to my project sites. Still, my total cycling increased a bit. If you are in a 9-5 job then I think your cycling will increase a lot, depending on how you arrange your priorities.
Old 03-23-10, 06:18 AM
bobthib
Legs; OK! Lungs; not!

Bikes: ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, ''11 Cervelo P2

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
I'm self employed and semi retired. I have a regular ride schedule (tues, thurs, sat) 40 mi at a shot. I'm able to keep the schedule on a semi regular basis.

TOday I'm in a 2 day investment workshop so I'll miss today. Thursday I am giving a presentation at a meeting of local business people, so I may miss that ride. Sat is a big day for parties I'm hosting and attending, so I don't know if I'll get out then. Maybe Sunday.
Old 03-23-10, 06:38 AM
donheff

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
The answer is yes for me and my wife.

Edit: not the training, just the riding

Last edited by donheff; 03-23-10 at 06:38 AM. Reason: afterthought
Old 03-23-10, 06:57 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5234 Post(s)
Liked 3,609 Times in 2,357 Posts
that makes sense to me. I was once between jobs for a year and I fished regularly. too bad I wasn't into cycling back then.
Old 03-23-10, 07:54 AM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
I'm not really look forward to retirement, since employment is what makes ride on a regular basis, fair or foul weather.
Old 03-23-10, 08:28 AM
donheff

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by dynodonn
I'm not really look forward to retirement, since employment is what makes ride on a regular basis, fair or foul weather.
Trade offs, trade offs, some of us just have to suffer without work. On a cold, rainy day I just curl up with a book.
Old 03-23-10, 09:20 AM
Louis

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
At first, yes, I was a kid in a candy store. But as the years pass, motivation and efficient time management have become a problem.
Old 03-23-10, 09:50 AM
dynodonn 
Banned

Originally Posted by donheff
Trade offs, trade offs, some of us just have to suffer without work. On a cold, rainy day I just curl up with a book.

That's just it, if I waited for decent weather, I'd get little time in on the bike. Soon I'd be like a lot of riders I see, making their appearance only on days that are warm and sunny, which is on a limited basis locally. Just two days off of the bike, and I can feel a definite power loss.
Old 03-23-10, 11:45 AM
DougG
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2013 Specialized Crosstrail, 2020 Specialized Vado 4.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
Riding when conditions are right (both the weather and you) is the best part of retirement in my opinion. Take last week here in Michigan: we had a string of unseasonably warm, sunny days that were perfect for getting the bike out for the first time this year. Only problem (for most) was that they were all weekdays, and on Saturday the temperature dropped 20 degrees with a stiff wind and snowflakes in the air. I would have gone nuts if I'd been sitting in an office on those nice days, but instead I was out riding.

The real danger is a tendency to overdo it a bit, trying to do all my favorite outdoor activities on the same day or something.
Old 03-23-10, 12:03 PM
Velo Dog

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've actually cycled a little less since retiring in Nov. of 2007, but it's pretty much by choice. I'm writing for a couple of publications (I was a newspaper reporter for 30+ years) and doing a radio show. I ride enough to stay in reasonable shape, and probably will pick up the pace as the weather warms with an eye to doing a few longer rides, possibly a century, in late summer.
The point is, though, that you have a choice. If you're retired and want to ride more, all you have to do is get on the bike.
Old 03-23-10, 12:05 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
My wife and I have been retired for ~1.5 years. In the beginning I used to feel guilty when I'd leave her at home all alone. She's not a cyclist, just a cycling supporter. A few weeks ago we were talking about my lack of miles and lack of the fitness I had a few years ago. She told me to ride whenever I wanted to and not worry about her. So we agreed that I could ride whenever I want unless she tells me of other plans or unexpected events/activities. Lately it seems the only unexpected things are funerals.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 03-23-10, 01:59 PM
jedde

Bikes: Jamis: '05 Quest and '08 Xenith Comp

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There'll probably be plenty of other things that will keep you occupied in your retirement. Just remember these words: Ride First, whatever else second.
Old 03-23-10, 02:15 PM
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 31 Posts
I'm busier now than I ever was. I try and ride as much as I can, buy other responsibilities take up my time as well.
Old 03-23-10, 02:19 PM
TromboneAl

Bikes: 1997 Specialized M2Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes. Here's my schedule (not set it stone, but it usually works out like this):

Monday, if the weather's good, I ride.
If it's not so good, I run outside, or do something like chop wood.
If the weather is really bad, I run on the treadmill or use rowing machine, elliptical, or stationary bike.

Tuesday, I ride if I couldn't on Monday, otherwise run or other indoor exercise.

Wednesday lift weights.

Thursday, like Monday.

Friday, like Tuesday.

Saturday, weights.

Sunday -- exercise holiday.
Old 03-23-10, 02:43 PM
DX-MAN
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Based on what I generally do on my days off & vacation, I'd ride a LOT more if I was retired.

But I don't expect to retire -- exceptional circumstances three years ago required me to cash in my retirement to keep 9 family members and myself from being homeless. In the process, my mortgage was re-financed, but now I'll be nearly 80 before it's paid off. (Fortunately, the payment is low enough that I couldn't even begin to rent anything bigger than an efficiency for the same expenditure!)

Going to work regularly gets me out riding in weather I'd otherwise not ride in; only once has that been a detriment.
Old 03-23-10, 02:57 PM
Robert Foster
Banned.

Bikes: Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I almost stopped riding prior to retirement. I used to ride a lot but after a few promotions and housing upgrades I got off the bike and became pretty sedentary. Now I ride between 5 and 8k miles a year and three to four times a week. I even take a bike on vacations. So for me the answer is yes.
Old 03-23-10, 03:02 PM
dynodonn 
Banned

Originally Posted by DX-MAN
....Going to work regularly gets me out riding in weather I'd otherwise not ride in.......
Same here as well, but I'm going to have to start finding something in a few years that will keep me motivated to get out on the bike. That way when I do retire, I won't be doing things like today, which is warm and sunny, and working on things around the outside the house (which is something I like to do)
Old 03-23-10, 03:50 PM
oldride

Bikes: 91 Specialized Sirrus, 96 Gary Fischer, 08 Specialized Roubaix Elite, 2010 Specialized Tricross Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm early retired (age56) and during the 9 month riding season I ride 5-6 days a week. On a typical week I ride 3 club rides and 3 rides by myself. It's great to have the time to ride when I want.
Old 03-23-10, 04:19 PM
Billy Bones

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by '47
. . .retiring. . .notion that I'll then be able to ride a regular, more structured, more dependable training program. . .true?
Only marginally easier. . .you'll still need to be militant with others AND yourself about making the time.
Old 03-23-10, 06:53 PM
The Weak Link
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
The Lords of Snark are being good to me today.

If you're concerned about riding regularity, mix about two scoops of Metamucil with some Accelerade. Just don't drink it with a Camelbak. You'll never get it out of the tubing.
Old 03-23-10, 07:22 PM
oldster

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
every day except when the streets have ice, or its snowing..
Bud

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.