Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Proper form in a tailwind

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Proper form in a tailwind

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-10, 01:09 PM
Jive Turkey
Shuckin' and Jivin'

Bikes: Giant OCR3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Proper form in a tailwind?

Is it better to sit more upright with a decent tailwind to take advantage of the wind like a sail or best to still stay in an aero position?
Old 03-25-10, 01:12 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
I don't know, but everyone guesses so...

Probably depends if you are going faster or slower than the tailwind. A 25mph tailwind you are probably going over 30mph, so aero helps. A 50mph tailwind you are probably going less than 50 so sail up.
Old 03-25-10, 01:16 PM
Jive Turkey
Shuckin' and Jivin'

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam

Probably depends if you are going faster or slower than the tailwind. A 25mph tailwind you are probably going over 30mph, so aero helps. A 50mph tailwind you are probably going less than 50 so sail up.
That's what I was wondering.

If the tailwind is less than your speed I figured you should stay aero but if greater than your speed sit up but I'm just an amateur and wasn't sure.
Old 03-25-10, 01:19 PM
bdcheung
Carpe Diem

Bikes: 2007 CAAD9; 2014 CAADX; PedalForce CG1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
ride like normal.
Old 03-25-10, 01:23 PM
Jive Turkey
Shuckin' and Jivin'

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bdcheung
ride like normal.
But I normally ride standing on top of the seat like a clown.
Old 03-25-10, 01:39 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
As long as your airspeed is positive, it makes the most sense to minimize your frontal area.
Old 03-25-10, 01:45 PM
DXchulo
Upgrading my engine

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I wonder how fast you really could go with a 50mph tailwind. The most wind I've ridden in was somewhere between 25-30mph, and I was easily cruising along at 30mph. I almost crashed in the crosswind a couple times, but it was worth it.
Old 03-25-10, 01:56 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DXchulo
I wonder how fast you really could go with a 50mph tailwind. The most wind I've ridden in was somewhere between 25-30mph, and I was easily cruising along at 30mph. I almost crashed in the crosswind a couple times, but it was worth it.
If you had a true 50mph tailwind, that was exactly behind you and not gusty, you should be able to ride at least 50. Air resitance is the greatest force we have to work against (on level ground). If you were riding 50mph in a 50mph tailwind, you would essentially be riding in a vacuum, and the only force you would have to overcome would be rolling reistance.

Of course you would need a big-ass gear and spin like mad too.

If you think about it another way, the speed record is over 150mph, drafting a special vehicle that sheltered the rider completely from the wind.
Old 03-25-10, 02:05 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Originally Posted by umd
Of course you would need a big-ass gear and spin like mad too.
Which is one reason why I said 'probably going less than 50'.
Old 03-25-10, 02:07 PM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
There are very few times when your relative airspeed is negative and it would be advantageous to sit up. Most of the time, a tailwind simply lowers your relative airspeed, or rather, you raise your ground speed to match what your normally encountered airspeed.

The only times I've traveled at the same speed as the tailwind have been on climbs. That's because gravity is the main force I am fighting, as opposed to air resistance. Otherwise, if I'm putting out enough power to go 20mph in still air, with a 5mph wind at my back I'd be cruising at 25mph and still have 20mph wind in my face.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Old 03-25-10, 02:07 PM
botto 

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey
Is it better to sit more upright with a decent tailwind to take advantage of the wind like a sail or best to still stay in an aero position?
yes.
Old 03-25-10, 02:09 PM
umd
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Which is one reason why I said 'probably going less than 50'.
It's only like 130rpm in a 53x11
Old 03-25-10, 02:17 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1483 Post(s)
Liked 767 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by umd
As long as your airspeed is positive, it makes the most sense to minimize your frontal area.
And the times that your air speed would be negative are pretty darn rare. If you have a tailwind, exactly blowing in your direction, and the windspeed is faster than your riding speed, you would have negative airspeed.

But if the wind is a few degrees off from a perfect tailwind, then it's going to still make sense to get aero, even with windspeed above your riding speed.

This calculator demonstrates that.

https://www.hedcycling.com/aerodynami...calculator.asp
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 03-25-10, 02:18 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Originally Posted by umd
If you think about it another way, the speed record is over 150mph, drafting a special vehicle that sheltered the rider completely from the wind.
Another nutty drafting record is by Michael Secrest - drafting truck to cover over 1200mi in 24hr for ~51mph average.
Old 03-25-10, 02:23 PM
Phantoj
Certifiable Bike "Expert"

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Ratliff
The only times I've traveled at the same speed as the tailwind have been on climbs.
That can be rough on a hot, humid day...
Old 03-25-10, 02:32 PM
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!

Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 20 Posts
I find it easier to ease the main sheet and watch the tell tales if I sit up when sailing, I mean riding with a tail wind.

Old 03-25-10, 02:35 PM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Phantoj
That can be rough on a hot, humid day...
Tell me about it. Last time I experienced this was on a hot day at about 4:00 in the afternoon in a race in eastern OR (why the organizers thought starting a race at 2:00 in the afternoon on a 90+ degree day was a good idea, I'll never know). I was off the back after getting dropped for the second time, pushing 250-300W up the hill. Felt like I was working the trainer in an oven. I actually started getting chills ... which I think means the start of heat exhaustion. Not good.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Old 03-25-10, 02:54 PM
RacerOne
Hills hurt.. Couches kill

Bikes: 1991 Specialized Sirrus Triple, 2010 Trek Madone 6.5 Project One, 2012 Cannondale Caad10, 2013 Trek Crockett

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
If you don't feel like there is a headwind, you're not going fast enough.
Old 03-25-10, 03:01 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 103 Posts
I don't have my post up (it's been in draft for a year or something). I rode in the Key Biscayne area just as Hurricane George hit. When we went out it was steady 50 mph winds, gusts to 80 mph. Since we went down there to do the Coconut Grove race, I had just TriSpoke/HED3 tubulars. I coaxed my teammate and his then gf to go out and ride with me. We struggled in our bottom gears going south but coming back... sitting up and coasting we'd go almost 20 mph. 54x14 up the Key Biscayne causeway bridge thing, going easy.

I told my friend I had to do a sprint with the tailwind. So I took off as hard as I could, spun my 54x11 as fast as I could. Did 60 mph for about a minute, limited by my ability to spin really fast for a long time. Passed a car on the road next to me.

Tons of fun.

cdr
Old 03-25-10, 03:24 PM
tubescreamerx
climbing

Bikes: Ridley Excalibur, Ridley Crosswind

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
how did the HED3 handle in those windy conditions?
Old 03-25-10, 03:35 PM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
i only notice headwinds. maybe i've ridden in tailwinds but i would rather assume it was my enormous legs making me go faster

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 03-25-10, 04:37 PM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by tubescreamerx
how did the HED3 handle in those windy conditions?
They were sketchy to say the least. We were all friends, rode together a lot. They used to do Thursday Night Sprints with me, he was my leadout man when we raced. We really knew each other well. So we and we rode in pretty tight formation going south. I remember a few times going sideways pretty hard. Since even a slight angle meant a vicious echelon (due to the high wind speeds) I'd usually be staggered in the safe direction off the next wheel. At times we were riding pretty much right next to each other.

I also had a pretty hard grip on the bars, much more so than normal. "Death grip" comes to mind.

When I was sprinting I remember wondering if the front wheel would take off sideways. I tried to keep my weight on the front of the bike. I basically jumped out of the saddle for only a couple downstrokes then sat down and spun.

I guess I'd do it again, with bigger gears, if I had a chance.

cdr
Old 03-25-10, 05:37 PM
FLvector
Stand and Deliver

Bikes: Cannondale R1000, Giant TCR Advanced, Giant TCR Advanced SL

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
I don't have my post up (it's been in draft for a year or something). I rode in the Key Biscayne area just as Hurricane George hit. When we went out it was steady 50 mph winds, gusts to 80 mph. Since we went down there to do the Coconut Grove race, I had just TriSpoke/HED3 tubulars. I coaxed my teammate and his then gf to go out and ride with me. We struggled in our bottom gears going south but coming back... sitting up and coasting we'd go almost 20 mph. 54x14 up the Key Biscayne causeway bridge thing, going easy.

I told my friend I had to do a sprint with the tailwind. So I took off as hard as I could, spun my 54x11 as fast as I could. Did 60 mph for about a minute, limited by my ability to spin really fast for a long time. Passed a car on the road next to me.

Tons of fun.

cdr

Hey CDR,
I think I've heard that story somewhere before.
Old 03-25-10, 05:46 PM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by FLvector
Hey CDR,
I think I've heard that story somewhere before.
Ha! Hey! I hope the Suncoast is treating you well.

I saw my first mosquito of the season a couple days ago. I think the cold for the next few days will take care of them though.
Old 03-25-10, 06:04 PM
FLvector
Stand and Deliver

Bikes: Cannondale R1000, Giant TCR Advanced, Giant TCR Advanced SL

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
Ha! Hey! I hope the Suncoast is treating you well.

I saw my first mosquito of the season a couple days ago. I think the cold for the next few days will take care of them though.
Yes. And the armadillos are plentiful this year.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.