Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

speedplay platformer.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

speedplay platformer.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-10, 07:38 AM
AngryScientist 
Lost

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 45 Posts
speedplay platformer.

i'm sure many of you will not see an application for this, but a friend of mine has a set for his bike, and they are pretty nice.

basically an adapter for speedplay pedals to turn them into platforms for short rides. i like these because they just snap right on without tools.

every now and then its nice to have my geared bike (as opposed to my SS commuter) to run to the coffee shop or what have you in street shoes.

Just an FYI i guess, i never knew these existed:

Old 04-28-10, 07:53 AM
AMFJ

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Saw those on the speedplay page. Only about $20 for a pair. Not bad at all.
Old 04-28-10, 08:43 AM
jmechy

Bikes: 2006 Felt F3C

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is this a new version?
There used to be a clear platform attachment for speedplays that required a tool to put on and pull off. I believe there was a thread here in which people were complaining that they had cracked and shattered while riding.
Old 04-28-10, 09:58 AM
jccaclimber

Bikes: n, I would like n+1

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 108 Posts
I remember the tool needed version, but this looks newer, and seems to be a reasonable price. As an alternative for those who have at least minimal mechanical talents I made my own. I took an old set of cleats, bolted them on to 1/8" aluminum of the size and shape I wanted my platform, and then put 80grit adhesive backed sand paper on top. They come on and off by hand with a bit of a twist (or step on them and twist like normal cleats), and you can still clip your shoes in to the other side without removing them.
Old 04-28-10, 10:04 AM
Reggieb

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Allez Elite, 2009 Cannondale SuperSix Hi-Mod

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jmechy
Is this a new version?
There used to be a clear platform attachment for speedplays that required a tool to put on and pull off. I believe there was a thread here in which people were complaining that they had cracked and shattered while riding.
"The innovative Speedplay Platformer is a user-friendly, tool-free platform cover for Zero and Light Action pedals." From their web site.
Old 04-28-10, 10:19 AM
mobike_moexcite
Banned.

Bikes: Fuji Team 09, Schwinn Paramount 91, Fuji Discovery 90's

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Huh never seen 'em.
Old 04-28-10, 10:54 AM
BikesAreCool123

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cool
Old 04-28-10, 11:07 AM
thegunner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
~weird, i learned to platform on speedplays without these.
Old 04-28-10, 12:10 PM
Inertianinja

Bikes: Felt AR1, Cervelo S2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I wish someone made them for look. There have been times when they would have come in handy
Old 04-28-10, 01:56 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Look pedals work just fine as platforms by themselves
Old 04-28-10, 03:30 PM
asmallsol
Cat3.*....Cat2

Bikes: A lot.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Inertianinja
I wish someone made them for look. There have been times when they would have come in handy
Originally Posted by hairnet
you can always make your own with an old set of cleats and some plastic or wood
Old 04-28-10, 04:35 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by thegunner
~weird, i learned to platform on speedplays without these.
I've done it, but in addition to being smaller than a regular pedal riding speedplays without the shoes and cleats put you half an inch or an inch farther away from the pedal than with the cleat, which can be...uncomfortable.
Old 04-28-10, 08:52 PM
adclark
What's a bike?

Bikes: Bianchi Veloce

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Inertianinja
https://www.bikepro.com/arch_products...ook_pedal.html

See LOOK TP93 Mountain Pedals. They are heavy, but are nice to have the platform side. I used to ride my other look pedals by putting my feet on top of them, but try that sometime when it is wet.
Old 04-29-10, 07:36 AM
jccaclimber

Bikes: n, I would like n+1

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 108 Posts
Originally Posted by hairnet
I agree, but I've also seen plenty of people slip a foot off of their Looks and crash because of that belief.
Old 05-09-10, 04:02 PM
a_phat_beat
My grammar sucks.

Bikes: Merlin Extralight, Colnago Crystal, Serotta Club Special

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ive got zeros on both my bikes, picked these up recently and they work as intended.

i say if you've got a pair of clipless pedals that work well with plain ol tennis shoes, then cool.

but if you have speedplay pedals, which i believe a lot of people do... and feel the need to ride your road rig in casual clothes, then this is a no brainer.
Old 05-09-10, 04:06 PM
^oZ
shut up legs

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jccaclimber
I agree, but I've also seen plenty of people slip a foot off of their Looks and crash because of that belief.
Seems obvious to me to stay seated.
Old 05-09-10, 04:53 PM
Accordion

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale CAAD10

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wouldn't want them...I've got a $150 beat-up cruiser bike with a basket and a big old lock...if I need to run to the coffee shop or the grocery store I take it....and leave my $2K road bike safely in my home office!
Old 05-09-10, 10:37 PM
bWurtz
Sucking wind

Bikes: Trek 1000.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where are you guys buying these online? I saw Nashbar had them, but I've read a few poor reviews and would like to avoid them if at all possible. It looks like Competitive Cyclist has the old ones. A lot of the major online bike retailers everyone here likes to talk about don't carry them.
Old 05-10-10, 05:34 PM
Bobby Salsa

Bikes: Cannondale Supersix, Cervelo P1, Giant TCX singlespeed cross/commuter, IF Deluxe, Schwinn Homegrown dinglespeed townie, 1985 Stu Thomsen Huffy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was one of the folks who posted in the other thread about having a problem with Speedplay Platformers and would like to chime in that the clear ones are absolute junk. If you can find the all black ones, those do work better (if you want to risk it) which I'll explain in a bit.

The set I purchased failed catastrophically after less than an hour of use causing a crash which resulted in a broken coccyx among other injuries. 8 months later I am still in pain on a daily basis.

Since these were fresh on the market at the time of the accident, I immediately contacted Speedplay and their handling of this situation is pretty much a how-to manual in what not to do.

I can't really get into to many specifics at the moment but here's the deal with the both the clear and the black Platformers.

When I met with an inspector from the Consumer Product Safety Commission who had an engineering background, the first words out of his mouth when he saw the clear Platformers were, "They used the wrong kind of plastic" which might explain why Speedplay has quietly switched the Platformers from clear to black plastic.

As part of a series of experiments, I ordered a set of Platformers from Competitive Cyclist. I thought I was getting the clear ones but I received the black ones. I rode them for 50 minutes (the approximate lifespan of the ones I bought) on my girlfriend's spin bike without incident. Compared to the clear Platformers, these guys are made from a softer plastic similar to the snap-in "test ride" platforms you see on Shimano pedal equipped MTB's at your LBS. They also use a different spring and seem to have a little more leeway built into the molding.

On the other hand, I tested out two sets of clear Platformers on my GF's spin bike and was able to make them break in as little as 16 minutes. The poor things couldn't even make it out of our living room. The reason they break is twofold: 1) the plastic used is very brittle 2) They were molded to fit a brand new set of pedals. The pedals I was using were about a year old and were a little worn at the edges from normal use. This in turn created some open space between the pedal and the Platformer resulting in more pressure on the Platformer itself.

For the record, I've video taped my living room tests and as soon I get the go ahead they will be posted on a YouTube near you. Gotta admit it's not very exciting footage but there is no question the ones that broke did so with no outside help.
Old 08-25-10, 04:17 PM
Cycliste

Bikes: Surley LHT, Cannondale R1000, IBEX Ignition, Bianchi Boardwalk, KHS Milano Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The platformers seem to come in two models, one for Zero and another for Light Action. What about X? Is there a separate model for Speedplay X pedals, or do one of these two fit the X model? Or none?
Thanks,
Old 08-25-10, 10:33 PM
roadraccer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had one of the first ones also and they were pure junk. Cracked them as soon as I stood on the pedals. Here was a previous thread on them:

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ght=platformer
Old 08-26-10, 01:11 AM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by roadraccer
I had one of the first ones also and they were pure junk. Cracked them as soon as I stood on the pedals. Here was a previous thread on them:

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ght=platformer
yeah, but the new ones *are* completely different.
Old 08-26-10, 05:08 AM
Cycliste

Bikes: Surley LHT, Cannondale R1000, IBEX Ignition, Bianchi Boardwalk, KHS Milano Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Speedplay platformers

Yes, I figured that out. The old transparent ones were brittle, new ones are better.

Now I am trying to understand if there is a model that fit the X pedals, all Speedplay reference is platformers for Zero and Light Action, but nothing for X..... ?
Old 08-26-10, 05:56 AM
a_phat_beat
My grammar sucks.

Bikes: Merlin Extralight, Colnago Crystal, Serotta Club Special

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bWurtz
Where are you guys buying these online? I saw Nashbar had them, but I've read a few poor reviews and would like to avoid them if at all possible. It looks like Competitive Cyclist has the old ones. A lot of the major online bike retailers everyone here likes to talk about don't carry them.
i got mine from competitive cyclist. i think they run just over 20 bucks.

update: they do not perform well in the rain.

2nd update: mine are the black ones, reading the guy that posted above about the failure, i can say that after about 4 months of intermittent use, they're still functioning ok when it's not raining.
Old 08-26-10, 07:33 AM
Kylerk

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced 1 (2011), Santa Cruz Superlight (2000), Jamis Coda Comp (2009)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for posting. I just switched from Crank Bros. to Speedplay LAs and I had something similar for my Eggbeaters. I will be ordering a pair for my Speedplays.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.