Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Shimano 600 "arabesque"

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Shimano 600 "arabesque"

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-10, 11:13 PM
Zaphod Beeblebrox 
PanGalacticGargleBlaster

Bikes: Upright and Recumbent....too many to list, mostly Vintage.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Shimano 600 "arabesque"

Whats your opinion on em?

I've got a brake/derailleur/shifter set of these and its not bad...I dunno am I just spoiled by Suntour?

They look cool as heck and the fact that they aren't the greatest performing components i've used isn't stopping me from searching for a 600 arabesque crankset....or hubs (wait, did they have hubs in that group?)
Old 05-27-10, 11:32 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,789 Times in 2,581 Posts
When I was at Trek, they got one of the first sets in and told me to build up a bike and try it out. I didn't like the way it looked and it only worked ok, so I told them to skip it. Other people like it for some reason. I would always pick Suntour myself. I don't remember anything about the hubs I used.
Old 05-27-10, 11:46 PM
mazdaspeed

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I have had better luck with shimano personally. I never liked the suntour sprint group at all, and was rather underwhelmed by the cyclone group the trek has/had. The 600 group and dura ace groups I've had in the past, on the other hand...
Old 05-27-10, 11:47 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 97 Posts
It's one of the best looking vintage groups out there but can be finicky as hell to set up as the rear d is rather primitive compared to the Suntour of the day... the cranks are beautiful and I have been running these cranks on my Gran Sport for years with no issues as both a double road and single for the fixed gear set up I am running now.

The Suntour of the day was greatly superior to the Shimano 600 and you can't even compare the performance of a Mk1 Cyclone to a 600 Arabesque... or any other non Suntour derailleur of this period.

I still use vintage Suntour groupos on more modern bikes that were originally fitted with indexed systems as the performance is still that good... I really like the Vx in the road and GT versions as it's performance is great and it has a better look than the Mk2 Cyclone and later Suntour groups.

It is just as light or lighter than most modern derailleurs.
Old 05-27-10, 11:52 PM
Zaphod Beeblebrox 
PanGalacticGargleBlaster

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
yeah that 600 crankset is sweet.
Old 05-27-10, 11:52 PM
mazdaspeed

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
One other thing, the shimano groups I've had were newer than the suntour groups I've had. The freewheels probably had a lot to do with the difference.
Old 05-27-10, 11:55 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

From disraeli gears... a few reasons why Suntour is regarded as being the best friction derailleurs ever made.

200 grams...

215 grams - love this derailleur model with the mid length cage as it will handle as many as 30 teeth.

So tough that early mtb's used these... and a great touring d.
Old 05-27-10, 11:59 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Matching a Suntour rear d with a Shimano Ug or HG freewheel or cassette is a match made in heaven... I also like Suntour freewheels as despite a slightly poorer shift they are much more robust and long wearing than Shimano freewheels.

I found a virtually new Huret Svelto that was mated to a 5 speed Atom freewheel and the shifting was pretty noisy and rough... mating that derailleur to a Hg 6 speed turned it into a very smooth running mech.
Old 05-28-10, 12:00 AM
Zaphod Beeblebrox 
PanGalacticGargleBlaster

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
funny I've got a V-GT luxe right here next to me.

also, I agree completely about HG cassettes and Suntour Derailleurs. I'm partial to Cyclone...
Old 05-28-10, 12:04 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Originally Posted by Zaphod Beeblebrox
yeah that 600 crankset is sweet.
It is probably the most desirable part of the group... but I do use a 600 rear d on one of my bikes.

My long bike needed an idler and I had a slightly worn 600 Arabesque so it now sits between the crank and the Suntour V GT in the rear... it's version of the quick cage is a nice feature and the Suntour V Gt also has a quick cage.

This is something I miss with modern derailleurs... it makes wheel removal and installation so much easier and you can service or replace a derailleur without having to break the chain.
Old 05-28-10, 12:24 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

funny I've got a V-GT luxe right here next to me.

also, I agree completely about HG cassettes and Suntour Derailleurs. I'm partial to Cyclone...
I love the Mk1 Cyclone as it is freakishly light and rock solid... the Mk2 is a truly amazing derailleur but comes in such a plain wrapper compared to the nicely sculpted Mk1 and V series.

I rock a Mk1 rear d and Mk2 front d on my Ron Cooper... will be adding some Suntour half ratchets to replace the Shimano 600 dt levers I was using as these too are a far better unit.

I figure I almost have two complete 600 groups here... and quite a few extra front and rear d's.
Old 05-28-10, 05:40 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3127 Post(s)
Liked 6,780 Times in 3,881 Posts
They look cool as heck and the fact that they aren't the greatest performing components i've used isn't stopping me from searching for a 600 arabesque crankset....or hubs (wait, did they have hubs in that group?)
Here is the catalog shot of an entire group.

Old 05-28-10, 06:09 AM
mudboy

Bikes: Ruckelshaus Randonneur, Specialized Allez (early 90's, steel), Ruckelshaus Path Bomber currently being built

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My first "real" bike was a Panasonic DX4000 with Arabesque. I was a strong rider and had just gotten into racing as an intermediate and a junior. I went through 3 or 4 of the arabesque rear derailleurs over the course of a summer before I replaced the drivetrain with Nuovo Record and Simplex retrofrictions. I would just kill the return springs in them.
Old 05-28-10, 06:24 AM
JunkYardBike
Dropped

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
I've got the crankset and BB, both in pretty good shape. Also have a frame with the alloy headset, and a wheelset in pretty sad condition. I didn't pull the hub axles yet, but supposedly they are identifiably marked as belonging to the arabesque group.

However, the components belong to my 7 year old son. I'm thinking about attending the swap meet at Jorba's mountain Bike Fest next Saturday, and in gathering some stuff to bring for sale, my son wanted in on the action. So, I gave him the Arabesque group to 'clean up'. I'm sure he'd be okay with selling it early, or better yet, trading for Star Wars legos.

Old 05-28-10, 07:09 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 1387 Post(s)
Liked 1,785 Times in 958 Posts
I really like the 600 Arabesque group and have a few sets kicking around. I am presently mounting a complete set on my ALAN Super Record. Some time ago, I wrote this article on the Shimano 600 Arabesque components.
Old 05-28-10, 08:11 AM
cobrabyte
one life on two wheels

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
I love this group. I was lucky enough to find this Lotus (complete on c-list for $80 )originally equipped with the entire group: hubs and all

I use this bike for longer solo rides. It performs great. Complete the group and you will not be disappointed.

Old 05-28-10, 08:54 AM
jebensch

Bikes: Bob Jackson Super Tourer, '83 Trek 700, Gazelle Champ Mondial, Nishiki Comp II, Moto Grand Record, Peugeot UO-10 SS

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I love the Arabesque brake levers - possibly my favorites.

ZB - shoot me a PM if you're interested in procuring a crankset. No rings, but the arms are nice.
Old 05-28-10, 09:13 AM
mparker326

Bikes: Schwinn Paramount P15, Fisher Montare, Proteus, Rivendell Quickbeam

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I always thought they looked quite nice and I've never had shifting trouble with mine. It shifts about like any other friction d. Even comes with an optional claw for those stamped Super Course dropouts.

Old 05-29-10, 01:52 AM
SKO

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Has anyone know Shimano Sante crank? I have a chance to buy this and would like to know more.
Old 05-29-10, 09:40 AM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 26 Posts
I'm not crazy about the rest of the group, but I do like the crank.

Old 05-29-10, 01:29 PM
king*stink

Bikes: 1973 concord fixie conversion, 2001 canondale

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i put the group on my super course. It looks great. It doesnt shift as nice as suntour. But its not bad at all. Ive not had any problems. I wish i had the crank. I kept the cottered stronglight with it.

Last edited by king*stink; 05-29-10 at 01:52 PM.
Old 05-29-10, 01:57 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Originally Posted by mudboy
I would just kill the return springs in them.
This is probably the greatest weakness in the group and if it was not for that I'd probably love the rear d... thinking that I will have to put up a bunch of this 600 stuff up for trade so I can complete some other groups (Suntour).

Seems like the 600 stuff has been breeding here... I think I have 4-5 extra front derailleurs.

Mind you... most front d's are pretty similar and the important stuff is all out back.

Last edited by Sixty Fiver; 05-29-10 at 02:02 PM.
Old 05-29-10, 02:13 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1871 Post(s)
Liked 670 Times in 511 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
It is probably the most desirable part of the group... but I do use a 600 rear d on one of my bikes.

My long bike needed an idler and I had a slightly worn 600 Arabesque so it now sits between the crank and the Suntour V GT in the rear... it's version of the quick cage is a nice feature and the Suntour V Gt also has a quick cage.

This is something I miss with modern derailleurs... it makes wheel removal and installation so much easier and you can service or replace a derailleur without having to break the chain.
I'm using Shimano 600/6207 (a little later than Arabesque, but a little earlier than tricolor 600EX) rear/front derailleurs, crank, and BB spindle on my Peugeot UO-8. These parts all came new on my 1984 Trek 610, and work well on the Peug.
Old 05-29-10, 09:13 PM
Drakonchik

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
The rear derailleur is really fragile in that the long sleeve/bolt attaches the cage is very easy to bend, whereupon alignment goes crap, and it's quite fussy to fix. Fully 2/3 of the dozens of 600 Arabesque RDs that I have picked up have had this problem.