Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Bragging about bike parking.

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-10, 10:47 AM
modernjess
ride for a change

Bikes: Surly Cross-check & Moonlander, Pivot Mach 429, Ted Wojcik Sof-Trac, Ridley Orion. Santa Cruz Stigmata

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

In honor of the official "bike to work" day here in Minneapolis I thought I'd share this.

My company employs about 25 people and more than half of us ride to work at least some days, on average about a third ride in every day and a few of us year round. We just expanded our offices and we insisted on adding a dedicated bike parking area. It's warm, secure, has it's own entrances. No shower yet, that's phase 2 if there is enough demand.

So this is me officially bragging - I'm proud that we made it happen, the employees that cycle love it and the ones that don't love showing it off. attached photo
Bike Parking..jpg
Old 06-10-10, 10:48 AM
dcrowell
Fat Guy Rolling

Bikes: Bacchetta Agio, 80s Raleigh Record single-speed, Surly Big Dummy

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Half bike-commute? I want to live in Minneapolis. I already have the studded tires.
Old 06-10-10, 12:00 PM
Pedaleur
Je pose, donc je suis.

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Don't make me post a picture of my work... ;-)

It's pretty cool they did that, though. I assume space is at a premium, hence the hangers?
Old 06-10-10, 12:42 PM
modernjess
ride for a change

Bikes: Surly Cross-check & Moonlander, Pivot Mach 429, Ted Wojcik Sof-Trac, Ridley Orion. Santa Cruz Stigmata

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Space is a resource too, so we figured we'd try to be as efficient with it as possible. We have more space for overflow, and honestly we have no rules against parking them anywhere you want, but this is the dedicated space, it makes it automatic, easy, and convenient. So everyone uses it. We've even got sweet old schwinn speedster in the lobby for anyone to use for local errands.

And "they" is me, I'm a cyclist and I'm one of the owners.
Old 06-10-10, 06:02 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by dcrowell
Half bike-commute? I want to live in Minneapolis. I already have the studded tires.
I've read that as many of 3.8% of workers are bike commuters in Minneapolis. At that rate, it'll soon be Portland. In fact, Portland might be Minneapolis.
Old 06-10-10, 06:36 PM
LesMcLuffAlot
Pedal faster not harder.

Bikes: Ummmm...Cannondale F4000..Ummmmm...Yeti ARC-X Cyclocross..Ummmm...Rocky Mountain Vertex TO with a BionX PL350 Electric Conversion...Ummmmm..Rocky Mountain Cardiac..Ummmm..thats it for now I think. I'd have to go look in the basement to be sure.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What about in winter? The top bikes will drip brown goodness on the bottom bikes.
Old 06-10-10, 08:40 PM
rubic
Slogging along

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse '06, Mongoose titanium road bike '00--my commuter. Yes, Mongoose once made a decent ti road bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My employer provides us with dedicated bike lockers with excellent security locks.
Old 06-10-10, 09:01 PM
Greyryder
Powerful-Ugly Creature

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by LesMcLuffAlot
What about in winter? The top bikes will drip brown goodness on the bottom bikes.
Arrive early, to get the top bunk.
Old 06-10-10, 09:31 PM
Epicus07

Bikes: See Signature.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 5 Posts
I imagine if they are riding in foul weather they will look plenty dirty as it is.
Old 06-10-10, 11:48 PM
Pedaleur
Je pose, donc je suis.

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by modernjess
And "they" is me, I'm a cyclist and I'm one of the owners.
Ah, I didn't get that from the OP. Well done!
Old 06-11-10, 08:07 AM
jbman100
Aluminum Convert

Bikes: Bianchi Via Nirone 7.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We have several cyclist where I work with my commute being the longest at 13.6 miles. We had a bike rack in a nice area at one end of our building right oputside the securty office. One night about a year ago while the officer was making his rounds someone drove up and stole the rack. lol Now we have a nice storage area inside the building at the other end. The boss is considering a 3 sided enclosure with a roof at the original spot because the strorage area is starting to get full as more people here are riding to work.
Old 06-11-10, 08:46 AM
modernjess
ride for a change

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by LesMcLuffAlot
Yeah, I know what you mean, and we thought about that but at this point there is only about 3 of us that ride through the winter. Of course I'd love to see those numbers go up but it's a tough sell. So the upper "berths" will be mostly empty.
Old 06-11-10, 09:19 AM
bmt074

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In my building they provide 5 bike racks in the basement of the parking garage. From late spring to mid-fall it can be difficult to find a spot to lock up if you get in after 9 or so. There is definitely some heavy bicycle usage at my workplace. Granted, in the winter the racks are basically empty.
Old 06-11-10, 09:30 AM
buzzman
----

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts
the college I teach at had pretty poor bike parking and I complained my first two years there only to be promised, "we're working on it." Turns out they were! We now have a 50 bike capacity bike room with #'d reserved parking, video surveillance, a card swipe entrance, heated, well lit and with benches to sit on while you get yourself organized before or after your commute- no showers yet but there are places at the school I could easily shower if I wanted.

The only thing is they only clean the floor at the end of the school year- but I love this because my bike parking spot is easily spotted by the pile of sand and salt since I'm the only dedicated full year round no-matter-the-weather commuter.
Old 06-11-10, 12:40 PM
dcrowell
Fat Guy Rolling

Bikes: Bacchetta Agio, 80s Raleigh Record single-speed, Surly Big Dummy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by modernjess
Yeah, I know what you mean, and we thought about that but at this point there is only about 3 of us that ride through the winter. Of course I'd love to see those numbers go up but it's a tough sell. So the upper "berths" will be mostly empty.
Hire me and the number will go up. What does your place do?

In all seriousness, I have been talking to my wife about moving to Minneapolis for a couple of months now. It'll probably be a few years though.
Old 06-11-10, 08:51 PM
rorban

Bikes: KHS Urban Express

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I get to park my bike about 20 feet from my work station between material racks. I can always keep an eye on it which is a huge plus for me.
Old 06-11-10, 11:07 PM
striker_dj

Bikes: Giant Stance, Fuji Tahoe, Bridgestone MB-2, Miyata Triple-Cross, Specialized Sequoia, Gary Fisher Marlin, Specialized Hard Rock

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 4 Posts
that is nice. I get to lock my bike to the handicap parking sign by the back door.
Old 06-14-10, 01:17 PM
KLW2

Bikes: 88 Schwin Voyageur, 84 Schwinn World Sport, 85 Univega Alpina Uno, 85 Fuji Espree, 09 Novara Strada, 06 Jamis Durango, 03 Specialized Expediton Sport, 09 Surly LHT, 12 Novara Gotham

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We have nice bike lockers at the entrance door to our company fitness center..
Old 06-15-10, 03:14 PM
Breathegood

Bikes: '09 Gary Fisher "Kaitai, '09 Raleigh Team", '91 Trek 8700, '97 Cannondale SR500, '12 Raleigh Twin Six

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am the only bike-to-work person at my office that I know of. I try to put it out of the way in a corner, but there is plenty of space to park my bike.....and I don't even need lock it up because it's a secure area. I get to park next to these guys:

Piaggio P180 Avanti. This one belongs to my client. I should see if I can get a photo with my bike leaning against it

This was just a temporary tennant last week, but was worth a photo:

This week there is a B-17 a parked at the hanger next door, but that's not my garage, so no photo. There are usually 2-5 aircraft in the hanger at any given time. I have my own locker and a shower.
Old 06-15-10, 03:20 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
My building is in the middle of a secure parking lot with two guarded entrances. I heard there about 2000 people in the building but only a handful of ride to work with any regularity- maybe 5 on a good day. We lock our bikes up although I doubt we need to. Next to the office building is a small shower/locker room building with bike parking adjacent to it. Not bad.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 06-15-10, 03:29 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
At the last place I worked, 50% of the employees commuted by bike.

The other guy drove an SUV.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 06-16-10, 06:55 AM
Brando_T.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got a sweet situation currently - an outside door that leads right into our office space, with a corner where I can stash my bike, and a locker to put clothes.

Not concerned about security, as I work in a police station.
Old 06-17-10, 03:01 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Brando_T.
I've got a sweet situation currently - an outside door that leads right into our office space, with a corner where I can stash my bike, and a locker to put clothes.

Not concerned about security, as I work in a police station.
I've got a similar situation with an outside door leading to a little used corner just a few steps from my office. I can just hang my cycling clothes out to dry, and if it rained and they are soaked, I have access to a big floor fan to dry them out.

I work in a hospital and have access to scrub suits I can wear (appropriately) during the day, and a loker room with a shower and a towel supply.
Old 06-17-10, 08:37 PM
Bat56

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
My four year old is looking over my shoulder. He just said, "Are you gonna get an airplane?"

ha!
Old 06-17-10, 10:00 PM
krusty
Successful alcoholic

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most people I know worry about their bike when parked at work. Security is always a concern. I ride to work, and my parking place is covered for bad weather. I have showers and a locker for my clothes. Security with machine guns are standing about 50ft from my bike all shift (seriously, I work in a nuclear plant).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.