Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bike shop heaven or horror?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-10, 05:11 PM
mtnwkr
Pro status

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I was out for a ride today and stopped in a shop I used to frequent as a kid. What I found both amazed me and has me a bit depressed. The owner of the shop only does repairs and sells small parts, but he takes anything he can get on donation, fixes em up and sends em off to third world countries. There was THOUSANDS of bikes in this shop, piled up taller than I am. No big deal, probably just junk right? Well, I saw a disproportionately large number of vintage lightweights, including 3 paramounts that I could see on top of the piles. 531 logos everywhere! Bottechia, trek, centurion, fuji, motobecane, butler, c-dale, everything. The owner told me he wont sell anything after being sued for $20,000 by someone that crashed a used bike he sold. He didn't seem to realize what he had. He told me that he stopped selling new bikes because you could buy the same thing cheaper at walmart. I pointed out a paramount under a pile of bikes and stated it would be worth a pretty penny on ebay, the look on his face was "why would someone want that, you can get a new Schwinn at walmart"...
Try as I might, he wouldn't entertain the idea of selling anything.
Here's a picture I found in this thread, appearantly he's collected quite a few more since then as the pile are nearly to the roof.

Old 06-28-10, 05:19 PM
illwafer
)) <> ((

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
so...you need to buy the frames as "parts". explain how you cant ride a frame only, and you won't sue him. maybe stop in once a week until he relents. bring cash.
Old 06-28-10, 05:21 PM
tugrul

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Maybe you could convince him to throw certain bikes in the dumpster.
Old 06-28-10, 05:45 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 1507 Post(s)
Liked 1,125 Times in 656 Posts
Perhaps you could offer him 2:1 trades for things you'd have interest in.
Old 06-28-10, 06:00 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 2383 Post(s)
Liked 2,916 Times in 1,591 Posts
I am curious about the economics, even as a donation, of sending to 'third world counties I wonder the fill up a shipping container and go?

Sound likes the owners is a "character".

Old 06-28-10, 06:08 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
I am curious about the economics, even as a donation, of sending to 'third world counties I wonder the fill up a shipping container and go?

Sound likes the owners is a "character".
The guy used to sell new bikes but stopped because he says WalMart sell the same thing? Calling him a "charachter" very kind (typical of the C&V forum). I could think of a few other descriptions not quite as nice.
You really ought to try the 2 or 3 bikes for 1 trade. I'd take a couple of old low end Nishikis or Raleighs in there, all tuned and ready to go and try for a Paramount or a really nice Bianchi. What have you got to lose?
Old 06-28-10, 06:37 PM
EjustE
sultan of schwinn

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Forget the trade

methinks that a partnership might be in order:

You help him with wrenching on the bikes that need work and you get paid in kind. Like a bike (of your choice) from the pile for every day you put in. Win-win situation
Old 06-28-10, 06:53 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 27 Posts
Just tell him that you will give him a notarized and signed release of liability so he can sell you the bike and sleep at night...........

Chombi
Old 06-28-10, 09:59 PM
scozim 
Ellensburg, WA

Bikes: See my signature

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked 478 Times in 167 Posts
Dang - that's only a 2 1/2 hr drive for me and less for Kpug and Abarth. Very, very tempting for a road trip.

Old 06-28-10, 10:05 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3466 Post(s)
Liked 2,839 Times in 2,001 Posts
Originally Posted by scozim
Dang - that's only a 2 1/2 hr drive for me and less for Kpug and Abarth. Very, very tempting for a road trip.
I read Bonnie & Clyde in this. "Just hand over the Paramounts and everything will be fine...."

But the image of a Schwinn Paramount in Nairobi is pretty fun too.
Old 06-28-10, 10:21 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 1507 Post(s)
Liked 1,125 Times in 656 Posts
Originally Posted by EjustE
Forget the trade

methinks that a partnership might be in order:

You help him with wrenching on the bikes that need work and you get paid in kind. Like a bike (of your choice) from the pile for every day you put in. Win-win situation
I like your concept, but it doesn't sound like the guy is that rational.
Old 06-28-10, 10:40 PM
khatfull
FBoD Member at Large

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Horror...
Old 06-28-10, 11:01 PM
abarth
Я люблю суп

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by scozim
I am already thinking about going over there, but what should I do to convince the owner to sale 'em Moto to me.
Old 06-29-10, 12:58 AM
Maddox
Ride heavy metal.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh LTD-3, '76 Motobecane Grand Jubile, '83 Fuji TSIII (customized commuter), '10 Mercier Kilo WT (fixed obsession), '83 Bianchi Alloro, '92 Bridgestone MB-1 (project), '83 Specialized Expedition (project), '79 Peugeot UO-8 (sold)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Dang. I can't imagine the frustration you must have been feeling.

There has to be a way to make use of such excellent bikes...
Old 06-29-10, 01:01 AM
shopgirl

Bikes: a heavy old steel Frankenbike Gitane, a cruiser (not something I'd buy for myself, but it was a gift, what can you do?), a Greg Lemond, a Specialized Stumpjumper(old, steel, fully rigid), and a Specialized Safire

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wow. I would be crying.
Old 06-29-10, 03:28 AM
ftwelder

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
The horror that I see is that another person who has dedicated his life to bicycles has been broken beyond repair. I stand by this shop keep and all those who have lost their livelihood to the giant fierce enemy that is eating our society.
Old 06-29-10, 03:56 AM
mazdaspeed

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Who wants to start a "shop" that accepts "donations" to send bikes to third world countries [read: keep the good ones that fit, ebay the good ones that don't fit, and donate the rest]?
Old 06-29-10, 04:10 AM
RobE30
Wherever I may roam....

Bikes: A few bikes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ftwelder
The horror that I see is that another person who has dedicated his life to bicycles has been broken beyond repair. I stand by this shop keep and all those who have lost their livelihood to the giant fierce enemy that is eating our society.

Sounds right^
Old 06-29-10, 04:39 AM
jgedwa
surly old man

Bikes: IRO Mark V, Karate Monkey half fat, Trek 620 IGH, Cannondale 26/24 MTB, Amp Research B3, and more.

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 18 Posts
There is a guy sort of like that around here. Owns a small antique store/bike shop (huh?) in a small town. He claims to have a barn full of parts and frames from decades of being in the business. In particular, he says he has boxes and boxes full of old Brooks saddles. But he won't sell them to me. I have begged and pleaded to be granted the luxury of looking at the stuff, but he won't let me. Frankly, I don't really believe the stuff exits. But if it does, the thought of regal old leather (and who knows what else) just moldering away in an old horse stall makes me ill.

About once a year I re-try to sweet talk him into breaking the seal on the tomb. I have tried everything: Walking in with 20 dollar bills sticking out of all my pockets. Convincing him to at least eBay it. Offered to buy the lot. Maybe this year I will try a ski-mask and tire iron.

jim
Old 06-29-10, 12:38 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 256 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 1,709 Posts
While stationed just across the Sinclair Inlet on the Stennis in Bremerton (the shop in question is in Port Orchard) I had the opportunity to jaw with the owner on several occasions.

He does in fact wrench these bikes enough so they will work for the intended recipient and then ships them all off in a shipping container. He showed me articles regarding one shipment that went to Africa, and how the bikes allowed the locals to traverse the long distances they normally walk/run more quickly and efficiently. A number of bikes went to religious leaders who were using them to broaden the scope of adding to their 'flock' - in fact, that beneficiary group seemed to be the focus of the newpaper articles. 99% of the bikes in that pile are Huffys, Free Spirits, etc - your typical low-end gaspipe 10-speeds and mountain bikes. Some kids bikes, stuff like that. The highest caliber stuff I ever saw were one or two Raleigh Records and the odd mid-range Nishiki or some such Japanese touring bikes. The guy knows his stuff - he's definately not tossing Colnagos or Paramounts in the pile (believe me, I looked). Sheesh, there aren't even any Peugeots in the pile - not even a UO-8!

However, he does have 3 or 4 Paramounts and some older track iron and one or two Italian race bikes in the shop (all NR/SR era bikes), but those are hanging off to the right in the photo, near the back of the shop. The owner is a former racer and Schwinn dealer/consultant.

And, no - he won't sell the vintage rigs. I've asked about 20 times myself! Nice enough guy, however, he will talk your ear off about the good old days (not that that's a bad thing, you understand).
Old 06-29-10, 01:08 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by jgedwa
There is a guy sort of like that around here. Owns a small antique store/bike shop (huh?) in a small town. He claims to have a barn full of parts and frames from decades of being in the business. In particular, he says he has boxes and boxes full of old Brooks saddles. But he won't sell them to me. I have begged and pleaded to be granted the luxury of looking at the stuff, but he won't let me. Frankly, I don't really believe the stuff exits. But if it does, the thought of regal old leather (and who knows what else) just moldering away in an old horse stall makes me ill.

About once a year I re-try to sweet talk him into breaking the seal on the tomb. I have tried everything: Walking in with 20 dollar bills sticking out of all my pockets. Convincing him to at least eBay it. Offered to buy the lot. Maybe this year I will try a ski-mask and tire iron.

jim
Bring a biking buddy with you with a big video camera and tell him you're an "American Picker"!!
Those two guys on cable TV seems to have broken the seal on some tombs rather easily once the owner sees the cameras....

Chombi
Old 06-29-10, 01:36 PM
OzarkKing

Bikes: 1987 Fuji Titanium, 1983 Fuji Touring Series IV, 1977 Panasonic Touring Deluxe, 1994 Mountain Cycle San Andreas

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
"the giant fierce enemy that is eating our society"...I assume you're talking about accountability because we don't have enough facts to take a blind swipe at attorneys/lawsuits...what if he negligently assembled something, sold it for a profit and due to his negligence ended up hurting someone? Obviously we all have our own opinions so rather than a flame war, lets focus on how to liberate those paramounts.
Old 06-29-10, 02:05 PM
blaise_f

Bikes: Surly Trucker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jgedwa

jim
Sounds like the "All Bikes" owner, in Rye, AZ.

As for the OP, this guy sounds terroristic and makes me sad. Maybe the bikes won't go to "waste", but I'd guess fractions if not fractions of fractions of bikes sent out to 3rd world countries see mostly beater use. Although I guess that's all a matter of opinion. Those bikes probably see more use than they ever would in the states. You never know - assumptions are bad. Here's a 17 year old kid in South Africa.

I asked him if he was still going to use it because it has some rust and he just gave it to me -so I can ride to school, I can go to Stellenbosch, just for riding... you see. Stellenbosch, also Cape Town - 2 minutes and I’m gone! It’s a powerful bike, you see. I trust it. I’m thinking of going to join a cycling club so that I can go places. Maybe be on television one day! Then I will ride and get paid for it! I want to fix this Colnago so that it can look like a new one.’

That Colnago isn't going to waste; no doubt about it.

Last edited by blaise_f; 06-29-10 at 02:16 PM. Reason: picture
Old 06-29-10, 02:08 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2446 Post(s)
Liked 4,466 Times in 2,117 Posts
Why don't you strike up a good friendly relationship with him? Show him that you're an understanding enthusiast. Show him how much passion you have for these machines. Become a friend that he can trust - trustworthy enough that he will sell you something in the pile.

Tell him also that a fellow in Florida will gladly take those Paramounts off of him for $100/ea, no questions asked, liability waver signed if necessary.

-Kurt

Old 07-14-10, 12:36 PM
Mr_Christopher
insert witty comment here

Bikes: 2016 Specialized AWOL, 2011 Electra Bike Ticino, '09 Trek 7.2 FX, Peugeot UE 18

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would offer to buy his shop.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.