Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Picked up a Miami Vice Ironman today.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-10, 06:23 PM
RFC

Bikes: many

Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts

This one was the result of following up on a somewhat cryptic CL ad. It turns out that the bike was owned by the uncle of the seller. The uncle was a rider who passed away 18 years ago and the bike has been stored in the attic since. Except for two paint scrapes, probably from storage, it is all stock and cherry. All 105/6-speed.

It is a size up from my usual 56, but I think it will ride. Now it needs to be stripped, cleaned, and rebuilt -- when the mancave is cooler or maybe upstairs in my study.

Old 07-23-10, 06:30 PM
auchencrow

Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Wow what a find RFC ! Congrats!
That looks cherry, alright - good enough to eat !
Old 07-23-10, 06:36 PM
redtires
Extra Medium Member

Bikes: Fezzari Empire; State 6061 Allroad gravel; Scott Spark; Specialized Status 140

Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts
Complete with a matching silca too!!! Oh man....I must resist the urge to be ridiculously jealous!
Old 07-23-10, 06:52 PM
RFC

Now to figure out what to do with it.

I know I'll use Deda tape because it is an almost perfect match with the yellow/gold.

But what saddle. I'm thinking modern here. Maybe a white Nashbar Fizik clone.

And, since I've got three extra sets of Tricolor 600 DR's and DT shifters sitting around, maybe an upgrade.

Finally, with a spare Titan 126mm freehub wheel sitting around, an upgrade to 8-speed?
Old 07-23-10, 07:04 PM
frpax
Steel is real, baby!

Bikes: 1984 Pinarello, 1986 Bianchi Portofino, 1988 Bianchi Trofeo, 1989 Specialized Allez, 1989 Specialized Hard Rock, 2001 Litespeed Tuscany

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
How long is that stem?? 120? Don't often see a long stem on a tall bike...

Good find, though!
Old 07-23-10, 07:12 PM
Maddox
Ride heavy metal.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh LTD-3, '76 Motobecane Grand Jubile, '83 Fuji TSIII (customized commuter), '10 Mercier Kilo WT (fixed obsession), '83 Bianchi Alloro, '92 Bridgestone MB-1 (project), '83 Specialized Expedition (project), '79 Peugeot UO-8 (sold)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Saw that one on CL. Mind me asking how much you talked the seller down to?
Old 07-23-10, 07:26 PM
khatfull
FBoD Member at Large

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Dayum, people sure are finding these lately...I want mine!

Nice score...
Old 07-23-10, 07:27 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Liked 1,425 Times in 924 Posts
Originally Posted by RFC

I know I'll use Deda tape because it is an almost perfect match with the yellow/gold.

But what saddle. Selle Italia Gel Trimatic, or Selle Italia Fusion. Same color yellow.

I'm thinking modern here. Maybe a white Nashbar Fizik clone.

And, since I've got three extra sets of Tricolor 600 DR's and DT shifters sitting around, maybe an upgrade. +1

Finally, with a spare Titan 126mm freehub wheel sitting around, an upgrade to 8-speed?
+1

See what happens when you behave all year? Santa brings you an Ironman.
Old 07-23-10, 07:33 PM
Maddox
Ride heavy metal.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh LTD-3, '76 Motobecane Grand Jubile, '83 Fuji TSIII (customized commuter), '10 Mercier Kilo WT (fixed obsession), '83 Bianchi Alloro, '92 Bridgestone MB-1 (project), '83 Specialized Expedition (project), '79 Peugeot UO-8 (sold)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
PS, it's in my size, too. I really wish I'd had room in the stable - would have totally called on this one.
Old 07-23-10, 07:42 PM
RFC

Originally Posted by Maddox
Saw that one on CL. Mind me asking how much you talked the seller down to?
The seller knew his uncle rode good bikes. I offered $150 and he accepted. I thought that was a reasonable price for CL.
Old 07-23-10, 07:49 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Liked 3,263 Times in 1,645 Posts
Originally Posted by RFC

But what saddle. I'm thinking modern here. Maybe a white Nashbar Fizik clone.

And, since I've got three extra sets of Tricolor 600 DR's and DT shifters sitting around, maybe an upgrade.

that bike and very nice looking. why upgrade it? it looks brand new. save the Ultegra for a bike that needs a new RD or does not have indexing at all. I would leave this bike alone.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 07-23-10, 07:50 PM
RFC

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
+1

See what happens when you behave all year? Santa brings you an Ironman.
Thanks Robbie. What do you think about going full 600 with 8-speed brifters? (I happen to have a set of those around as well). Maybe with a 12-23 cassette, which makes for a "jaunty" ride.
Old 07-23-10, 07:51 PM
RFC

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
that bike and very nice looking. why upgrade it? it looks brand new. save the Ultegra for a bike that needs a new RD or does not have indexing at all. I would leave this bike alone.
I understand your opinion. But I might ride this one a good deal, which, as discussed in the performance thread, brings in other considerations.
Old 07-23-10, 08:10 PM
illwafer
)) <> ((

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
looks like the original 700x20 tires.
Old 07-23-10, 08:15 PM
sjpitts 

Bikes: 90 Bridgestone MB2/3, 97 Lemond Zurich, 97 Waterford 2200, 95 Mondonico Futura Leggero

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That is another score RFC.

And once again, I saw that ad, but I was too slow. It certainly looks sweet.

But I don't think it is is a 58cm. I think it might be a 60cm-- but maybe the pump is throwing me off. This is my 58cm

Old 07-23-10, 08:34 PM
RFC

Originally Posted by sjpitts
That is another score RFC.

And once again, I saw that ad, but I was too slow. It certainly looks sweet.

But I don't think it is is a 58cm. I think it might be a 60cm-- but maybe the pump is throwing me off. This is my 58cm

Always hard to tell from a pic. I usually look at the HT first. Measured out -- 58.5 ST, 57.5 TT.
Old 07-23-10, 09:53 PM
EjustE
sultan of schwinn

Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
welcome to the club

Other that the saddle this looks stock. Very well done, sir!

as far as the size goes, I would have to agree... this looks more like a 60 from here. Here is my 56 (as I got it with pump) :

Last edited by EjustE; 07-23-10 at 09:57 PM.
Old 07-23-10, 10:02 PM
EjustE
sultan of schwinn

Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by RFC
Thanks Robbie. What do you think about going full 600 with 8-speed brifters? (I happen to have a set of those around as well). Maybe with a 12-23 cassette, which makes for a "jaunty" ride.
make sure that it fits first. And the other thing you need to know (from a newbie in those bikes) is that the stock handlebars are way wider (like a couple sizes bigger) than one is used to ride in most road bikes (mine -56cm- came with a 440).

If it fits, 8sp tricolor with brifters is very very appropriate (make sure that the brakes are dual pivot - super SLR in Shimano talk- otherwise it will be a bear to set up the lever pressure correctly with the brifters) . The only thing that would top that (in my book) is 8sp Record with ergos. But if you can deal with the Shimano brifter ergonomics (pun intended), you are more than set
Old 07-23-10, 10:24 PM
RFC

Originally Posted by EjustE
make sure that it fits first. And the other thing you need to know (from a newbie in those bikes) is that the stock handlebars are way wider (like a couple sizes bigger) than one is used to ride in most road bikes (mine -56cm- came with a 440).

If it fits, 8sp tricolor with brifters is very very appropriate (make sure that the brakes are dual pivot - super SLR in Shimano talk- otherwise it will be a bear to set up the lever pressure correctly with the brifters) . The only thing that would top that (in my book) is 8sp Record with ergos. But if you can deal with the Shimano brifter ergonomics (pun intended), you are more than set
Thanks. All good advice. Yes, it measures out 58.5 ST, 57.5 TT. There is adequate standover without joining the ball bouncing contingent of this forum who I have often maliciously maligned and tainted. Also, I can replicate my cockpit measurements. I will pump it up this weekend, install a good saddle and check it out.

BTW, I didn't realize that old style calipers were a problem with brifters.
Old 07-23-10, 10:30 PM
RFC

BTW, does anyone have the geometry chart for this bike?

Thx
Old 07-23-10, 10:57 PM
WNG
Spin Forest! Spin!

Bikes: I used to have many. And I Will again.

Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Nice acquisition! It's in great shape and decent price too.
Looks to be 58cm IMO, as compared to my 58cm Raleigh Technium frame.
105-1050 can handle up to 7 spd if you have the components to do a swap w/o going to 130mm.
But I can see the lure to go all 8 spd ultegra.
Old 07-23-10, 11:00 PM
sjpitts 

Bikes: 90 Bridgestone MB2/3, 97 Lemond Zurich, 97 Waterford 2200, 95 Mondonico Futura Leggero

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RFC
Thanks. All good advice. Yes, it measures out 58.5 ST, 57.5 TT. There is adequate standover without joining the ball bouncing contingent of this forum who I have often maliciously maligned and tainted. Also, I can replicate my cockpit measurements. I will pump it up this weekend, install a good saddle and check it out.

BTW, I didn't realize that old style calipers were a problem with brifters.
Part of the issue with measuring is the center-to-center versus center-to-top seat tube issues. I can never remember which is standard for centurion, but I usually use center to top. And neither is really easy to do consistently.

Jared
Old 07-23-10, 11:25 PM
chadwebster

Bikes: Centurion Ironman Expert, Bianchi Sport SX, SR Pro Racing, Vitus 979, Cannondale mountain bike, Schwinn Prologue TT Bike, Litespeed Tuscany, Principia Rex Pro (frame broke), Rossin (model unknown), Litespeed Classic, Schwinn prelude

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
very nice find! its a really great bike, have fun with it, but my opinion is to keep her original
Old 07-23-10, 11:27 PM
chadwebster

Bikes: Centurion Ironman Expert, Bianchi Sport SX, SR Pro Racing, Vitus 979, Cannondale mountain bike, Schwinn Prologue TT Bike, Litespeed Tuscany, Principia Rex Pro (frame broke), Rossin (model unknown), Litespeed Classic, Schwinn prelude

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
oh yea +1 on the white seat, gonna switch mine out soon
Old 07-24-10, 01:55 AM
Maddox
Ride heavy metal.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RFC
The seller knew his uncle rode good bikes. I offered $150 and he accepted. I thought that was a reasonable price for CL.
Definitely a spectacular catch at that price point, and especially in that condition. Great work!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.