Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Who would like to learn more about Custom Titanium frame for US$700 delivered?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway
View Poll Results: Would you like to see a thread as described?
Yes, I'm at least curious enough to read.
80.82%
Not my cuppa.
19.18%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-10, 03:54 PM
ClarkinHawaii

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

OK, I've always wanted a nice bright titanium frame; and I'm getting the vibes that now's the time. I will require a custom-built frame because encroaching old age requires me to have my bars higher. I will also require rear rack mounts (top and bottom), STI cable guides mounted on sides of headtube rather than on downtube. Either polished (mirror shine) or brushed finish. Everything else pretty much standard.

I've been checking prices for such a custom-built frame INCLUDING SHIPPING and here's where we stand.

The Big Boys--Lynskey, Litespeed, etc. I didn't bother to check.
Pride Cycles-$1400
Habernero-$1340
TACC (Taiwan)-$1100
Biam (mainland China)- $1023
HangLun (mainland China)-no answer yet
XACD aka Changda (Mainland China)-$700

I've had a good bit of communication with Porter at XACD. I have pretty well overcome my reservations and am thinking seriously about pulling the trigger.

I'm contemplating creating a thread showing all of the communications and decision-making that goes into the process of buying a custom-built Ti frame from XACD.

To determine whether there is sufficient interest to justify my effort in creating such a thread, I would invite anybody who has an interest to so indicate in the poll. If you don't have any interest, I created a "choice" for you (I don't think you can have a poll with only one possible choice). However, I can determine the number of "not interested" by subtracting the number of "interested" from the number that viewed the thread.

Saying that you're interested does not mean that you are necessarily in the market for a Ti frame--all it means is that you are interested enough to read the thread, at least initially, if one were created.

Sooooo . . . let me know.

EDIT: Once decided, I will edit this post to tell readers where the New Thread (the actual negotiations, design, delivery, build, and follow-up) can be found--make it easy to find!

Last edited by ClarkinHawaii; 07-28-10 at 02:36 PM.
Old 07-27-10, 04:51 PM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by ClarkinHawaii
OK, I've always wanted a nice bright titanium frame; and I'm getting the vibes that now's the time. I will require a custom-built frame because encroaching old age requires me to have my bars higher. I will also require rear rack mounts (top and bottom), STI cable guides mounted on sides of headtube rather than on downtube. Either polished (mirror shine) or brushed finish. Everything else pretty much standard.

I've been checking prices for such a custom-built frame INCLUDING SHIPPING and here's where we stand.

The Big Boys--Lynskey, Litespeed, etc. I didn't bother to check.
Pride Cycles-$1400
Habernero-$1340
TACC (Taiwan)-$1100
HangLun (mainland China)-no answer yet
XACD (Mainland China)-$700

I've had a good bit of communication with Porter at XACD. I have pretty well overcome my reservations and am thinking seriously about pulling the trigger.

I'm contemplating creating a thread showing all of the communications and decision-making that goes into the process of buying a custom-built Ti frame from XACD.

To determine whether there is sufficient interest to justify my effort in creating such a thread, I would invite anybody who has an interest to so indicate in the poll. If you don't have any interest, I created a "choice" for you (I don't think you can have a poll with only one possible choice). However, I can determine the number of "not interested" by subtracting the number of "interested" from the number that viewed the thread.

Saying that you're interested does not mean that you are necessarily in the market for a Ti frame--all it means is that you are interested enough to read the thread, at least initially, if one were created.

Sooooo . . . let me know.
wrong forum

just fyi, you can get a frame made by the first family of titanium for ~1000

edit: the $1000 frame is when it's on sale

Last edited by echappist; 07-27-10 at 05:00 PM.
Old 07-27-10, 04:53 PM
Velo Gator

Bikes: Cervélo S2

Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
A thread asking about starting a thread?
Old 07-27-10, 04:57 PM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by ijen0311
A thread asking about starting a thread?
A post in a thread asking about a thread that was started to ask about starting a thread?

BTW, I read about XACD (mentioned above) somewhere recently. I think they are the folks (allegedly) that supply frames for Habanero. But this is just an Internets rumor.

Also, I think this would be an interesting thread. Not *this* thread, asking about the thread, but the *actual* thread, about buying the frame.
Old 07-27-10, 04:57 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Liked 278 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by mcjimbosandwich
wrong forum

$300 is a lot for some people. I am curious as to the alloys of that frame that makes them so inexpensive.
Old 07-27-10, 04:59 PM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Originally Posted by tagaproject6
$300 is a lot for some people. I am curious as to the alloys of that frame that makes them so inexpensive.
except you are getting lynskey customer service, which is as top notch as it gets
Old 07-27-10, 05:01 PM
ClarkinHawaii

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wrong forum

Well, don't just snipe and run--tell us more! Custom made?
Old 07-27-10, 05:03 PM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Liked 796 Times in 312 Posts
Can I get a printout of the cost so that I could take it to Lynskey and demand that they meet the price?
Old 07-27-10, 05:10 PM
ClarkinHawaii

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The only reason I put this thread in this forum was largest viewing audience. Presumably any style bike would go through the same procedures, etc.

My thinking is that many people might like to have a deal like this, but ( like me) they are leery of the unknown. Would like to find out exactly what's involved.

One of the interesting things that happens with XACD is they draw up the plans for your frame and send them to you for "approval". I'm not knowledgeable enough the catch possible glitches, so I'm thinking I would just post the jpg of the plans and let you guys pick them apart.

As I indicated previously, I need a custom frame. Don't think the big boys are doing that for $1000, sale or not.

The question about the alloy is a good one. I will ask Porter at XACD to answer any reasonable questions you come up with. Warranty, alloy, tubing shape, all that stuff that you guys know better than I do.
Old 07-27-10, 05:17 PM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Wow, do a search for XACD. Lots of info out there.

Like this:

https://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=529757
Old 07-27-10, 05:23 PM
ClarkinHawaii

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tagaproject6
I believe the difference is labor costs, not materials. China has a well-developed titanium industry re: aircraft, spacecraft, submarines, etc.

Interestingly, the actual cost of the custom-made frame is $455. That's if you walked into the factory with a fistfull of Yuan. The other costs are shipping and money transfer.
Old 07-27-10, 05:34 PM
ClarkinHawaii

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BengeBoy
Wow, do a search for XACD. Lots of info out there.

Like this:

https://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=529757
Yes, I read all those posts a couple of weeks ago.

I asked Porter about it. His English sucks. I pointed out how offensive his rebuttals are. And all the exclamation points!!!! He admitted that he needs work on his English and customer relations; so I'm willing to move forward with him, a step at a time.

I also consider this to be one of the main reasons why their prices are so low.

Compare this with the current generic carbon fiber frame craze going on right now in roadbikereview. Got a little gal named Jenny who screws up a bit and her English is laughable, but people buy from her (I did) because she is pleasant, and her deal is a good deal. But you'd better believe those carbon prices have been going up up as demand rises.

I think all the !!!!!! is what they teach as good English! in the schools over there!--Jenny does the same thing!
Old 07-27-10, 05:52 PM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Well, don't just snipe and run--tell us more! Custom made?
of course not, but they got reputation on their side
Old 07-27-10, 06:00 PM
ClarkinHawaii

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
of course not, but they got reputation on their side
Believe me, I have agonized over this whole Ti frame idea. There's no question but what I would be feeling warmer and fuzzier with a big-name bike.

Only a BIG savings would compensate for the cold pricklies induced by a no-name builder.

I'm thinking if I play this right I will get a frame just as good as a Lynskey and the customer service will be just as good also. This is partly why I want this all on the forum--so that they will be aware that if they screw me over, the world will know and they might as well kiss their bicycle business goodbye.
Old 07-27-10, 06:01 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Bd.
Old 07-27-10, 06:17 PM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Liked 796 Times in 312 Posts
Believe me, I have agonized over this whole Ti frame idea. There's no question but what I would be feeling warmer and fuzzier with a big-name bike.

Only a BIG savings would compensate for the cold pricklies induced by a no-name builder.

I'm thinking if I play this right I will get a frame just as good as a Lynskey and the customer service will be just as good also. This is partly why I want this all on the forum--so that they will be aware that if they screw me over, the world will know and they might as well kiss their bicycle business goodbye.
Don't kid yourself.
Old 07-27-10, 07:34 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Liked 9,565 Times in 4,422 Posts
wrong forum

Not if you want/need custom geometry. I shopped around for a custom Ti frame last year. The usa makers want approx 3K. I ended up with a Habanero and am pleased.
Old 07-27-10, 07:45 PM
ClarkinHawaii

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My 2 bikes are both size 54 (a tiny bit too big).

New carbon frame shipping from China on August 5 is size 52.

I'm going to wait until I get the size 52 built and have a chance to compare sizes and fit before i go for the Ti.

I don't want to bother Porter until I'm definitely ready to do business. Probably about Sept 1st. I raked him over the coals pretty good last week--give him a chance to recover.

If and when I do this, what sub-forum should I put it in?

I'd like to put it here since this sub-forum has the most readers.

On the other hand, I'd like to tuck it in some out-of-the-way forum so as to minimize unwelcome drop-ins (trolls who hijack the thread with political arguments, whether Ti is better than Carbon, and all the other non-pertinent stuff that turns the thread into an Easter-egg hunt for people in the future seeking serious information).

What do you think?

Once decided, I will edit my original post (#1 of this thread) to tell readers where the New Thread (the actual negotiations, design, delivery, build, and follow-up) can be found--make it easy!
Old 07-27-10, 07:58 PM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Originally Posted by datlas
Not if you want/need custom geometry. I shopped around for a custom Ti frame last year. The usa makers want approx 3K. I ended up with a Habanero and am pleased.
in that case, i stand corrected.
Old 07-27-10, 09:58 PM
cooleric1234

Bikes: CAAD9-1, Windsor Cliff 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
Bd.
Specifically this if all you want is a frame and fork. Full bikes available as well. I'm going to be buying one next year.

Old 07-27-10, 10:42 PM
ClarkinHawaii

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1. I need a custom frame
2. BD feels it's necessary to charge $150 to ship a frameset to Hawaii when the Post Office will do the same job for $40.
Old 07-27-10, 11:13 PM
njkayaker

Liked 1,498 Times in 1,037 Posts
I will require a custom-built frame because encroaching old age requires me to have my bars higher.
What's "old age"? I know a couple of fairly old dudes (good riders) who use off-the-peg frames.

This process is guaranteed to be completely successful or highly entertaining! May you live in interesting times! Good luck!
Old 07-28-10, 12:49 AM
intence

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Isn't Mcjimbosandwhich refering to the Performance frame using asian sourced tubes but welded by Lynskey (or so i've heard)?
Old 07-28-10, 02:20 AM
vantassell
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Habenero uses XACD frames.

I was going to get one (XACD), but I felt like someone designing my bike for me is more important than just welding some tubes together at the right angles. I went with a Seven and it's the perfect (geometry, tube size, wall thickness, etc) bike for me. Unless you know how to design a bike, i'd be warry of expecting too much.
Old 07-28-10, 02:20 AM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Originally Posted by intence
Isn't Mcjimbosandwhich refering to the Performance frame using asian sourced tubes but welded by Lynskey (or so i've heard)?
no, it's their cooper frame. visit their website often, and, once in a while, you'll find some really amazing deals (ie cooper @ ~1k, complete R340 rival at 3k, etc)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.