Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

New Mexicans -- Where should we tour 1st week of November?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-10, 09:14 PM
NoGaBiker
But wait... I AM the man.

Bikes: Merlin Extralight DA, 1982 Peugeot CFX-10 Campy NR, 7 Cruisers kept at beach, Raleigh Passage 4.0 hybrid, Marin Commuter with racks and bags

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Coming to ABQ on 30 Oct - 7 Nov. Hoping not to freeze to death. Should we get a car and drive south, park, ride for 6 days, drive back to ABQ? Or is it reasonable to ride out of ABQ on the bike, tour for 6 days, winding up back in ABQ?

I know I can look at avg temps charts, and have, but I'm interested in "on the ground" experience from residents or knowledgeable visitors.

Any favorite routes that would cover about 300 miles, either direct from ABQ or with a drive first? We will have camping gear, plus will stay in motels some, so completely flexible in that regard.

Is the Roswell/Alamagorda/Las Cruces area worth looking at?

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Last edited by NoGaBiker; 09-23-10 at 09:27 PM.
Old 09-24-10, 01:12 PM
surly_tourer
politically incorrect

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Fondreist Spur, Diamondback Axis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out the New Mexico Touring Society website, www.nmts.org. Maybe some useful info there.
Old 09-24-10, 01:54 PM
clayton c

Bikes: touring bikes

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I'd say Alamogordo out of the choices given. Carlsbad would be nice in November.
Old 09-24-10, 04:19 PM
skilsaw

Bikes: Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Did you say Roswell? !!!
Don't be abducted by aliens.
Old 09-24-10, 08:29 PM
NoGaBiker

Bikes: Merlin Extralight DA, 1982 Peugeot CFX-10 Campy NR, 7 Cruisers kept at beach, Raleigh Passage 4.0 hybrid, Marin Commuter with racks and bags

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by clayton c
I'd say Alamogordo out of the choices given. Carlsbad would be nice in November.
Well, what would you say if no choices were given? I've never set foot in your fair state -- usually stay up in Utah and CO for these sorts of things -- so my only hard point is landing in ABQ. Do you have a better suggestion? I'll check into Carlsbad. Anywhere else?

Thanks!
Old 09-24-10, 08:30 PM
NoGaBiker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by skilsaw
Did you say Roswell? !!!
Don't be abducted by aliens.
I'm from Roswell... Georgia. The appeal of going to "the other one" is great, I must say. Almost magnetic. Almost like a tractor beam is pulling me there...
Old 09-24-10, 10:06 PM
clayton c

Bikes: touring bikes

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
I'm from Roswell... Georgia. The appeal of going to "the other one" is great, I must say. Almost magnetic. Almost like a tractor beam is pulling me there...
Well, I would suggest around Carlsbad Caverns or Into Guadalupe National Park. There are plenty of places for camping and sights. Bring plenty water. Get maps. November is a good time.
Old 09-28-10, 09:53 AM
Bent In El Paso

Bikes: Co-Motion Speedster Co-Pilot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in El Paso and love riding in NM. My favorite place to ride in NM by far is in the Gila Mountains around Silver City. Riding in the mountains the first week of November could be iffy though due to winter weather. If you are willing to drive a few hours, you could go over to Tuscon and tour that area. The weather in November is typically nice and there are plenty of areas to tour on the bike.

If you are going to ride in NM, you will probably want to avoid the mountainous regions unless you carefully check the weather forecast often. You could get lucky and have really nice weather. On the other hand, you could get caught in some nasty winter weather in the higher elevations.

I agree with checking the New Mexico Touring Society web site. It is an excellent resource for riding in the area.

Good luck!
Old 09-28-10, 11:27 AM
granto

Bikes: '88 Specialized Hardrock, '82 Centurion Le Mans

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally from ABQ. Just my 2c- The alamagordo/roswell area is kinda ugly... well, it's not awful but it's mostly desert. If I were you I'd head North out of ABQ through the Jemez Pueblo and into the Santa Fe/ Taos area... maybe Las Cruces, there you would get a nice mix of desert and mountain. It will be in the mountains (you will need to be able to do some climbing and you will need longjohns) but it will be pretty and you'll have more fun, imho. So maybe head through Jemez spings, Los Alamos, Espanola, Chimayo (be sure to see the church there), and Taos, then maybe back through Santa Fe, etc. I agree with others that you could get caught in nasty weather, but... plan for it! No matter where you go it will be nippy as hell by morning. Be sure to try the red and green chile! Green chile cheeseburgers mmmmm
Old 09-28-10, 11:59 AM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1244 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 254 Posts
One week out there is very little time, even with a car. If the weather allowed, it is ok going north from ABQ.
Otherwise I think a loop N/E from Tuscon is better. OTOH the SW corner of Utah ( or any part of) is awesome. Distances between little towns is a problem in the 4 corner states.

I have driven my car on many many roads in the western and central states. It is nice scenery to the east and north from Pheonix and Tuscon. I also went through Silver City, then went hwy 152 over to Truth+Consequences. That road is SO twisty i couldn't go faster than 22 mph without risking fried brakes. So ,very little traffic to bother a bicycle rider. Its kind of pretty around T+C actually. I also drove from Santa Fe to Roswell, where there is a 120 mile stretch with barren salt flats, with little brush and exactly 1 tree in the ditch at a hwy intersection. But strangely there was a crowsnest on almost every power pole. How there are bugs to eat there baffles me. That 1 tree had a flock of small yellow birds. ( I pit stopped there) Roswell is a very dusty, hokey town anyway, I wasn't wanting to stop there anyway. El Paso is like Tuscon.