Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New to Power Meter info

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

New to Power Meter info

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-10, 09:38 PM
swak

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New to Power Meter info

Ive been looking around, and the crank setup is most appealing to me, but from your experiences, what is the best power meter setup to go with/ what is the most cost efficient?

I dont want to spend a tonn, but definitely looking to train with one in the coming season.
Old 10-19-10, 09:59 PM
rffffffff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a powertap because I got it cheap on ebay. =o) Competitive cyclist has a really good deal for a $660 (I think) wired powertap wheel, computer, the whole works. (not compatible with garmin or anything else). A bike shop quote me 850 for the lowest end wireless powertap deal. Quarq cranks are ~$1500. SRM stuff seems to be $2500 up, but I could be wrong there.

The bottom line to me (budget limited) was that my $350 ebay wired powertap wheel makes my training every bit as good as any of the other options, but was, in some cases, less than 10% of the cost of some of the other options. If bling isn't necessarily a factor, and you could use the saved money to buy other things, I vote for cheap!

Its amazing to me how the gps unit was the most important thing to me until I got my powertap and now i don't even care where I went, just how hard I pushed to get there. =o)
Old 10-20-10, 09:37 PM
swak

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sweet!

I found a really damn good deal on a used SRM 'cranks' power meter.
However it is on an older crank set.
Is it possible to swap out the cranks/chainrings still?
Or would i have to buy another setup?
Old 10-21-10, 12:12 AM
rushbikes

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ing-with-Power
Old 10-21-10, 08:00 AM
brian416
Roadie

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Chainrings are easy to swap on SRM, Swapping rings generally doesn't mess with the slope of an SRM.

I love my SRM, I've only had it since March, but its been perfectly reliable since then, not one data drop with wireless. The downside to them is that you have to solder a new battery in, but it is very very easy to do. The plus side is that they are reliable and you can run whatever wheels you want