Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Best type of bike for winter training

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-10, 09:04 PM
djpfine

Bikes: Wilier Izoard, Tricross FG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I own a geared hybrid but have been thinking about getting either a single speed or fixed gear for a more hassle free bike during the winter months. Which type of bike woud be the best to ride to stay in shape and improve road biking:

1. The hybrid because it's geared and mostly closely replicates the experience I'd have on my road bike

2. The single speed because it will force me to work harder on hills but also let me tackle descents

or

3. The fixed gear because it will help me improve my pedaling and cadence

Last edited by djpfine; 11-02-10 at 06:44 AM.
Old 11-01-10, 09:48 PM
AngrySaki
Socrates Johnson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From a training point of view, I think you're best bet is to make your winter training bike as similar to your summer bike as you can. That's assuming you're willing to "work hard" on it. The arguable benefit of a fixed gear is that it means you _can't_ be lazy on hills. So if you lack motivation, it might get you a better work out. If you are motivated, you'll get a better workout on a geared bike (because you can do drills that simulate riding a fixed gear, as well as drills that don't).

My winter bike is different than my summer bike, but that's mostly just for a change of pace (I also pull out my summer bike in the winter on dry days). My winter bike is in a bit more relaxed position so I can ride around in the snow and and stuff like that.
I personally don't find dealing with a derailleur in the winter that big of a deal, if it gets all crudded up or freezes, you're in no worse of a position than you were if you were riding a fixed gear (which does happen).
Old 11-01-10, 09:57 PM
VA_Esquire

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The one that works.
Old 11-01-10, 10:30 PM
ptle

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I don't think it really matters too much... it's more about what kind of training you put over the winter.

People can stay in shape riding on the trainer, commuting, mountain biking, or using a fixed-gear winter bike.

People have single speed/fixed geared bikes because the winter weather is harsh, and the lack of gears makes the bike more reliable. It's also an added bonus that riding single speed can help improve your spin and muscles (from low cadence).

For me? I'll be doing a lot of commuting and mountain biking (on my single speed).
Old 11-02-10, 05:07 AM
simonaway427

Bikes: 2010 S1, 2011 F75X

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I ride a CX bike with Shimano 2300. 32c tires help with the cold, jarring ride (and traction), and the thumbshifters are much easier to shift with winter gloves on tham the paddles on my Ultregra bike.

That said, I'm building a SS on a road frame for next year, we'll see how that goes.
Old 11-02-10, 05:09 AM
botto 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
one with fenders.
Old 11-02-10, 07:55 AM
kbtommy
Danger to Himself

Bikes: 2008 Specialized Roubaix Elite, 2008 Trek 4300, 2006 Surly Cross Check

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mine's a Surly Cross Check with fenders and 32mm tires (and swapped the shifters to Tiagra). Thing is a beast, weighs a ton, but it's near-invincible. Surprisingly fun ride, too.
Old 11-02-10, 08:57 AM
djpfine

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kbtommy
Mine's a Surly Cross Check with fenders and 32mm tires (and swapped the shifters to Tiagra). Thing is a beast, weighs a ton, but it's near-invincible. Surprisingly fun ride, too.
Love the Cross Check. Took one out for a test ride the other day and had a blast. That frame is incredibly versatile as well.
Old 11-02-10, 10:05 AM
rogerstg
Fred-ish

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by djpfine
I own a geared hybrid but have been thinking about getting either a single speed or fixed gear for a more hassle free bike during the winter months. Which type of bike woud be the best to ride to stay in shape and improve road biking:

1. The hybrid because...
Seems like you already have a winter bike. What are the hassles?
Old 11-02-10, 10:19 AM
djpfine

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rogerstg
Seems like you already have a winter bike. What are the hassles?
Dealing with the derailers and drivetrain. I'd love to have three bikes, but don't have the space in my apartment so would have to get rid of the hybrid if I went with the SS/FG option.
Old 11-02-10, 05:28 PM
Lamabb
Doesn't ride enough

Bikes: 2010 Cannondale Caad9 5 / 2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker/ 2013 Orbea Orca Bli2 / 2011 Specialized Rock Hopper

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't know where you live, but unless you get some serious snow, there's no problem with riding your regular bike through the winter. I do, and I know plenty of people who have for years. Their bikes are in fine conditions, they just replace the chain every year or two. O, and if you have mad salt on the ground like I do in NYS, make sure to wash your bike on occasion. I give it at least a quick rinse every ride when there's bad salt.

Last edited by Lamabb; 11-02-10 at 05:28 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-02-10, 05:44 PM
cbfight

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have an old single speed mountain bike that I fendered out and strapped a milk crate to the back of that I ride around. I take out the race bike on nice days, but otherwise it's left on the trainer.

Sometimes when I feel Belgium, I go riding in the rain, but I'm lazy and don't like cleaning my bike that often since I live in an apartment and keep my bike indoors.
Old 11-02-10, 06:51 PM
pdedes
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
i loved my old fixed cx bike. a blast on snowy trails!
Old 11-02-10, 06:54 PM
wens

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The one you actually ride.