Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

confused about chainrings and cogs

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-10, 07:50 PM
WCfix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I know that either increasing the chainring size or decreasing the cog size will increase the gear ratio and gain ratio.

Is either way particulary better for some reason?
other than the fact that it's more expensive to get a new chainring.

Is it possible to have a chainring that is TOO big?
or a cog that is TOO small?

let me know if this is too confusing and I'll try explaining it better.
Old 12-12-10, 08:00 PM
Dcv

Bikes: Cinelli Mash, Scott CR1 Pro conversion, LeMond Zurich, Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/fixed.html#bigsmall
Old 12-12-10, 08:06 PM
WCfix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i'm running 46/16 right now and its not good enough. i just want to be able to ride fast. like keep up with cars fast.
Old 12-12-10, 08:07 PM
WCfix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nice
Old 12-12-10, 08:47 PM
polobreaka

Bikes: Leader 722ts

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WCfix
i'm running 46/16 right now and its not good enough. i just want to be able to ride fast. like keep up with cars fast.

46/16 is a pretty nice gear ratio for all around terrain. but consider from your location (bay area), im not sure if you want to go with a higher ratio considering all the hills you have. learn to spin faster.
Old 12-12-10, 09:41 PM
dbwoi

Bikes: Peugeot U0-8 (Stolen), Motobecane Grand Record, 80's Diamondback BMX, Peugeot Monaco

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 12-12-10, 09:57 PM
peach-picker
packing shed cassanova

Location: can be found with the traffic in the streets of fresno ca.

Bikes: 07 bianchi pista, 09 mercier kilo tt, 09 masi speciale fixed LTD, late 80s masi nuova strada, full campy gruppo, 89 centurion accordo, 88 peugeot versallies, 93 faggin 14 speed full shimano 105

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
go up to a 48t chainring, with a 16 cog it isnt too hard! if it is you can always put a 17 if the 16 is too hard, like you i like to go fast, and hate spinning!!!
Old 12-12-10, 09:58 PM
dbwoi

Bikes: Peugeot U0-8 (Stolen), Motobecane Grand Record, 80's Diamondback BMX, Peugeot Monaco

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by peach-picker
like you i like to go fast, and hate spinning!!!
lol
Old 12-12-10, 10:17 PM
Squirrelli
GONE~

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you plan on to making up any of the hills in the Bay area, go as low as you can handle.

If you want to go faster, spin faster, easy as that.
Old 12-14-10, 02:41 PM
kreative

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Changing a cog will be cheaper than changing a chainring, and it will be easier to switch out. Also realize that changing a cog will affect your GI by about 3 times more than a chainring (if you're adding or subtracting the same amount of teeth to either).

The first thing you need to do is determine your optimal gear ratio/gear inches. There's a calculator on the Sheldon Brown site to help you with that.

Once you know your optimal gear ratio, calculate your variance window, i.e. how much adjustability you want. For instance, your optimal is 72 GI, and maybe you want a range of 66 - 76.

Then figure out what combination will give you the range you're looking for. Also look for what's generally available. Generally speaking, chainrings will be 42, 44, 46, 48, 49 teeth while cogs will go from 15-19 teeth. There are some companies that make cogs up to 22 teeth or so, but your choices become significantly limited.

As a side note, Sheldon Brown does mention that larger chainrings & cogs will put less strain and wear on the chain.

I know that either increasing the chainring size or decreasing the cog size will increase the gear ratio and gain ratio.

Is either way particulary better for some reason?
other than the fact that it's more expensive to get a new chainring.

Is it possible to have a chainring that is TOO big?
or a cog that is TOO small?

let me know if this is too confusing and I'll try explaining it better.
Old 12-14-10, 04:04 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 3617 Post(s)
Liked 3,447 Times in 1,958 Posts
Changing the tooth count on the cog makes a bigger difference than changing the tooth count on the chainring.

If I were starting from scratch, I'd select a chainring with a prime number tooth count (e.g. 43 or 47) and pick a cog to give the gearing I want. The prime number tooth count means you always get the maximum number of skid patches regardless of what cog you use in back.
Old 12-15-10, 07:04 AM
Ken Cox
King of the Hipsters

Bikes: Realm Cycles Custom

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Learn to spin.

It takes work, but in the end you will ride faster and have more fun.
Old 01-03-11, 11:08 PM
rustbelt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm going to take advantage of this thread to get some help with this too. I'm running 48/16 but I just moved from a relatively flat place to a town with some fairly large hills. Should I go up on the cog size or down on the chainring size?

How many teeth less before its a noticeable change?
Old 01-03-11, 11:21 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1337 Post(s)
Liked 766 Times in 432 Posts
1 cog tooth change = 3 chainring teeth change. I would change the cog, more of a change and generally the cheaper way to go. To me 48/16 is already a very high gear ratio for the road, and I run no more than a 48/18 or 46/17 in an area with rolling hills and some wind.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 01-03-11, 11:23 PM
avner
Fueled by Tigers Blood

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've moved by 2's so far. 15-17-19 and I've found that each change has been fairly significant, as in if I did a smaller change I may not really feel a difference. On my Jamis I have a 19/17 Fixed/Fixed rear hub. I ride 19 on my commute, and most night rides, I find it's actually a bit faster then my 17 for most practical riding, I have a tendency to beat a lot of people to the top of hills without a standing effort, it's only on the straight away sprints that I can really feel the spinny-ness of the 19t. I take that as my need to increase my cadence, rather then my gearing(also my stamina.) Over all i'd say go up to 19 if you have a lot of rolling hills, I seriously enjoy riding a lot more when I can take hills, up and down without destroying myself on each one.
Old 01-04-11, 11:47 AM
Lilcphoto
My name is Alex

Bikes: Mercier Kilo TT Stripper in RAW, Schwinn Madison 2008 Blue, Leader 725tr, Brassknuckle, Leader 722, Traitor Ruben

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just want to point out an observation...

If the home mechanic was looking to chance his cog or change his chainring, one must buy additional tools to change the cog (lockring remover, chain whip) VS the chainring which can be taken off with an Allen wrench... So if it is a one time one bike sort of thing, its actually relatively cheaper to change the chainring than it is to change the cog (assuming you find a good deal on a chainring).
Old 01-04-11, 12:00 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1337 Post(s)
Liked 766 Times in 432 Posts
Originally Posted by Lilcphoto
If the home mechanic was looking to chance his cog or change his chainring, one must buy additional tools to change the cog (lockring remover, chain whip) VS the chainring which can be taken off with an Allen wrench... So if it is a one time one bike sort of thing, its actually relatively cheaper to change the chainring than it is to change the cog (assuming you find a good deal on a chainring).
Problem is, you need to change a large number of teeth on a chainring to affect a significant change in gearing. This often requires also changing the number of links in the chain, which requires having a chain tool. Also, the cost of your typical good quality chainring is sufficiently higher than a good cog to afford a cog and lockring tool, which everyone with a FG should own anyways. In addition, you usually need a tool to restrain the chainring nuts on the back of the crank spider as well as a hex (allen) wrench to remove / install the chainring bolts.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me

Last edited by TejanoTrackie; 01-04-11 at 12:05 PM.
Old 01-04-11, 12:12 PM
thirdgenbird

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
With a 46x16 and 700x23 tires you should be able to ride over 30mph and average 26mph.

How fast is your traffic and how long are your rides?
Old 01-04-11, 12:32 PM
Lilcphoto
My name is Alex

Bikes: Mercier Kilo TT Stripper in RAW, Schwinn Madison 2008 Blue, Leader 725tr, Brassknuckle, Leader 722, Traitor Ruben

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
Problem is, you need to change a large number of teeth on a chainring to affect a significant change in gearing. This often requires also changing the number of links in the chain, which requires having a chain tool. Also, the cost of your typical good quality chainring is sufficiently higher than a good cog to afford a cog and lockring tool, which everyone with a FG should own anyways. In addition, you usually need a tool to restrain the chainring nuts on the back of the crank spider as well as a hex (allen) wrench to remove / install the chainring bolts.
Everything you have pointed out is correct.

However, my point is:

To change a cog, one needs at least a lockring removal tool ($15-$30) and some grease (~$5), utilizing the rotafix to remove and re-apply the cog, VS to change a chainring, one only needs an allen wrench (I have sucessfully gotten my chainring bolts off and on without the use of the dedicated tool. Though for the record, I do own the tool, and have needed it as well.

The price of the Cog and the price of the Chainring are subject to many different factors, but there are cheap enough Chainrings that make it more financially beneficial to change the Chainring than to change the Cog.
Old 01-04-11, 01:11 PM
rustbelt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Has anyone used the Surly Dingle Two-speed Fixed-gear Sprockets:

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/f...ets.html#surly

Two cogs in one essentially. Is the only drawback weight?

Seems like a good option for different kinds of rides.
Old 01-04-11, 01:30 PM
dsh
Oh, you know...

Bikes: '74 Schwinn Sports Tourer (Polo), S-Works E5 Team Festina (Chorus 11), Trek 2200 Bonded Carbon (Fixed), Trek 920 (7 speed IGH), Chesini Olimpiade SL (1x7)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You also have to compromise on chainline. But only nerds worry about chainline.

Has anyone used Campagnolo 11 speed freewheel cassettes?
Eleven cogs in one essentially. Is the only drawback weight?
Seems like a good option for different kinds of rides.
Old 01-04-11, 01:49 PM
rustbelt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Assuming you have enough room in the drop out to tension the chain, would the chainline be any more compromised than on a geared bike?
Old 01-04-11, 02:34 PM
scruggle

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lilcphoto
to change a chainring, one only needs an allen wrench (I have sucessfully gotten my chainring bolts off and on without the use of the dedicated tool. Though for the record, I do own the tool, and have needed it as well.
If you take your chainring bolts off and on without the appropriate tool on both sides then you are doing it wrong even if it seems to work, and it's a good way to torque those bolts improperly as well as a good way to chew up your parts, since the nut will slip as you tighten the assembly. Am I wrong?
Old 01-04-11, 06:00 PM
Lilcphoto
My name is Alex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scruggle
If you take your chainring bolts off and on without the appropriate tool on both sides then you are doing it wrong even if it seems to work, and it's a good way to torque those bolts improperly as well as a good way to chew up your parts, since the nut will slip as you tighten the assembly. Am I wrong?
I can not answer your question exactly, but I can say that the proper tool that is suppose to slide into the slot with a peg in the middle only connects for me on one side...it works, but I found using it to not be a necessity
Old 01-04-11, 09:40 PM
Thetank

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you're gonna ride fixed you might just want to invest in the tools to tighten the cog and lockring, to me they're necessary tools.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.