Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

'11 SuperSix Rival vs. '10 Cervelo S2 Ultegra

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-11, 06:57 PM
grnrcr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Currently ride a Caad9 and love the stiffness and responsiveness. Made the mistake of test riding these two bikes and now can't stop dreaming about a new bike. Here are my takes on both and how i ride. Input, please?

The SuperSix Rival feels like a souped up version of the Caad - just as stiff (6', 170lbs) but lighter and accelerates faster. AND it's a ton more comfortable than the Caad. My body is familiar with this geometry, so overall, it just feels like a very natural upgrade. But is it "too" similar to the Caad?

I wasn't even thinking about the S2 until I saw the price tag of a 2010 on my way out of the shop. It's my size so I thought I would give it a try. The S2 felt completely different than the SS. It has a very nice sensation while accelerating but not as explosive as the SS or Caad. It's a very smooth get-up-and-go. However, it definitely doesn't soak up road buzz as well as the SS. Why am I even thinking about the Cervelo? The price the LBS is offering on this '10 is just a few hundred more than the SS. I know I am being blinded by the Cervelo name and the beauty of the frame. What other things does an S2 do well?

I ride mostly on flats with short and steep climbs mixed in. Need a bike that descent/handles well since that's about my favorite part of road cycling. A bike that also aids in high speed cruising (>25mph) would be ideal.

P.S. I was happy with the components on both bikes. SS does have a nice Sram BB30 BB and Force crank while S2 is full Ultegra.

Old 01-17-11, 07:01 PM
2ndGen
CAADdict

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-?

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
SuperSix WITH Ultegra.

Old 01-17-11, 07:03 PM
2ndGen
CAADdict

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

R U kidding? Look at that ^^^^^^^^ thing! GORGEOUS!
Holy crap G! Thanks a lot! Now you got me frigin' thinkin' about it more.
A HiMOD frameset with that color scheme or with the CAAD10's monochromatic black.
If those two bikes were in prison, that SS looks like it would make that Cervix it's female dog!
By the way, you want that SS. Forget the Cervix. I read between the lines. You're going to keep it in the family.

Last edited by 2ndGen; 01-17-11 at 07:10 PM.
Old 01-17-11, 07:04 PM
thirdgenbird

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 2ndGen
SuperSix WITH Ultegra.

that is funny because i would want the s2 with sram (and the fulcrums)

given the two bikes above, i would probably go with the supersix (im not a fan of shimano levers)
Old 01-17-11, 07:10 PM
ilovecycling

Bikes: LOOK 595 & Cannondale CAAD9

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I probably won't be of much help, but I totally understand what you are going through. I made a similar thread not too long ago, but I'm debating between the exact same SuperSix 4 w/ Rival and the 2011 Cervelo R3 w/ Rival. I'm not too sold on the real-world benefits of an aero road frame (S2,S3), but I do like the BBright and tapered head tube design of the new R-series bikes. Cannondale still has BB30, which is almost the same thing, and the MSRP on the SuperSix 4 is $700 less than the R3.

Without knowing how much that 2010 S2 was going for, I can't really give my opinion, but I say unless that S2 was LESS than the SuperSix (doubt it) go for the SuperSix!
Old 01-17-11, 07:53 PM
twince

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode probably like 20 different bikes before I chose to buy the matte black SS Rival. I love it! It makes me want to ride and boy, is it beautiful!! The Force crank (which it comes with) makes a big difference and I am glad I have that. IMHO, go for the SS. You will not regret it. BUT that being said, choose the bike that will make you want to go out for a ride. That is what really matters.
Old 01-17-11, 08:19 PM
grnrcr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ha, nice to see someone so enthusiastic about the 'Dale. The prospect of putting a set of 50mm carbon wheels on this matte black frame does get me pretty excited.

Just not entirely sure if I should rule out the S2 yet.
Old 01-17-11, 08:23 PM
thirdgenbird

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
carbon wheels on the supersix would look great.
Old 01-17-11, 09:15 PM
2ndGen
CAADdict

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by grnrcr
Ha, nice to see someone so enthusiastic about the 'Dale. The prospect of putting a set of 50mm carbon wheels on this matte black frame does get me pretty excited.
Yes! I concur. Hawt.

Just not entirely sure if I should rule out the S2 yet.
Out...must you rule it.

This is "not" the bike you are looking for.

Old 01-17-11, 09:25 PM
Tunnelrat81

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Am I really going to be the first to recommend the Cervelo? This place has really gone the way of the Cannondale. Don't get me wrong, I have tons of respect for both companies, and would happily buy either one if I was shopping. I think they fit different categories of bikes though. The Cannondale is simple, understated and classy, is surely a wonderful bike, but it's not going to turn to many heads out on the road. The S2 is just straight nasty (in a very good way). It's the race-car version of the roadbike, will certainly have at least the stiffness of the SS, and will look far more at home while riding >25 mph. Perhaps a negative to riding the Cervelo is that it might hold you to a higher standard of performance. This could be a good thing, pushing you to meet the challenge, or embarrassing if you can only hit 25-30 while descending. =) I personally would prefer the ultegra over rival, but I'm probably in the minority around here on that point also.

So my final answer? Don't buy either if you don't have the money...but if you do have it, choose the one that fits your cycling style the best. My vote says Cervelo, simply because it's an amazing looking frame with rock solid componets, but if you're more of an understated cyclist and really want sram, then go with the SS. Either way, you'll be able to realistically expect to get exactly 1 day worth of performance increase before you're going exactly the same speed that you're achieving now on your Caad9. You'll just have a wider smile on your face.

-Jeremy
Old 01-17-11, 11:29 PM
grnrcr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very nicely said, Jeremy. Appreciate the input. The "aero" factor of the Cervelo is what's intriguing me the most (along with the sexy frame). While a set of deep carbon wheels will look unbelievable on the black SS, the aero benefits of deep carbon wheels on an aero frame is also tasty as hell.

Yeah, I've obviously made 0 progress so far.
Old 01-18-11, 12:23 AM
Tunnelrat81

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll further complicate this for you. Go and watch the videos at www.bartape.net (starting with #01 - Beginnings) and then try NOT to buy the cervelo.

-Jeremy
Old 01-18-11, 12:41 AM
JonnyUtah75

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tunnelrat81
I'll further complicate this for you. Go and watch the videos at www.bartape.net (starting with #01 - Beginnings) and then try NOT to buy the cervelo.

-Jeremy
Or better yet, this video (yes, I know he's riding a look on the rollers, but outdoors, it's all Cervelo baby).

Old 01-18-11, 12:44 AM
rat fink
Iconoclast

Bikes: Colnago Super, Fuji Opus III, Specialized Rockhopper, Specialized Sirrus (road)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd almost be tempted to buy a Cervelo because they are great rides and very good looking. However, I have ridden them both, and much prefer the handling/fit/ride of the Super Six. That will be my next frame.

Last edited by rat fink; 01-18-11 at 12:48 AM.
Old 01-18-11, 08:48 AM
Munk69

Bikes: Ridley Helium

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
S2 is a rocket ship. I would get that
Old 01-18-11, 11:57 AM
fatallightning
Cat 666

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rat fink
I'd almost be tempted to buy a Cervelo because they are great rides and very good looking. However, I have ridden them both, and much prefer the handling/fit/ride of the Super Six. That will be my next frame.
what size did you ride? i have a 54 caad9 and a 54 slc-sl and the geo and stack/reach (i.e. fit) are almost exactly the same. that said, stack and reach on cannondales don't progress in a linear manner.
Old 01-18-11, 12:29 PM
kleinboogie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird
carbon wheels on the supersix would look great.
Correct.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0747.jpg (99.0 KB, 1066 views)
Old 01-18-11, 12:57 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by rat fink
However, I have ridden them both, and much prefer the handling/fit/ride of the Super Six. That will be my next frame.
No Cervelo for you.
Old 01-18-11, 12:57 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Munk69
S2 is a rocket ship.
Depends on the engine. Mine, not so much.
Old 01-18-11, 01:02 PM
2ndGen
CAADdict

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by kleinboogie
Correct.

ftfy
Old 01-18-11, 01:10 PM
rkelley23

Bikes: 2012 CAAD 10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JonnyUtah75
Or better yet, this video (yes, I know he's riding a look on the rollers, but outdoors, it's all Cervelo baby).

Such a sick video. Cycling and Maynard..two of my favorite things. Also that dude has some explosive power
Old 01-18-11, 01:26 PM
wfrogge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Holy crap G! Thanks a lot! Now you got me frigin' thinkin' about it more.
A HiMOD frameset with that color scheme or with the CAAD10's monochromatic black.
If those two bikes were in prison, that SS looks like it would make that Cervix it's female dog!
By the way, you want that SS. Forget the Cervix. I read between the lines. You're going to keep it in the family.

Its not a HiMod
Old 01-18-11, 01:27 PM
2ndGen
CAADdict

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rkelley23
Such a sick video. Cycling and Maynard..two of my favorite things. Also that dude has some explosive power
Off topic, but; The vids that makes me want to ride...

Last edited by 2ndGen; 01-18-11 at 01:31 PM.