Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Can I Kilo?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-11, 09:38 PM
2ndLaw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can I Kilo?

What sort of watts, or watts/kg, would be needed to go around a 1:09? I know that the track and bike and all that are important, so assume T-Town and a fairly aero bike. In looking at past results, going under a 1:09 at Masters Natz (30-34) is going to be competitive for the podium and possibly the win. My problem is that I think that I could concentrate on that event and improve considerably, but I'm not sure that it will be enough. My 5 sec. power is around 20 w/kg but my 60 sec power is around 8.6 w/kg. That is now (Feb.). Is it unreasonable to try to get to, say, 9.5 w/kg with a bunch of specific bike and weights work? I've always been a crit sprinter and have always concentrated on fitness needed to get to the sprint at the end of a crit. Will focused training get me on the podium? The only kilo I've ever done was around a 1:14 at about 2,000 feet altitude. That was with no specific training for it.
Old 02-16-11, 01:27 AM
carleton
Elitist

Liked 93 Times in 78 Posts
Man. There is a lot in that post.

It seems that your W/kg numbers fair well in the "Sprinter" category in the spreadsheets made by Andy Coggan: https://home.trainingpeaks.com/articl...profiling.aspx

The 30-34 category is not a very competitive group on the masters scene being that most racers in that age group are still racing Elite. There are some 30-34 events at Masters that only have 4 competitors. 35-39 and 40-44 seem to be the fastest groups (based on 200M, 1K, and 4K times).

If you are serious and have the means, I say see about hiring a track sprint coach and get on an accelerated program. There are several coaches that coach remotely. You aren't starting from scratch.
Old 02-16-11, 02:11 AM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
You'll have to race it and see. You can't kilo with a sliderule.
Old 04-12-11, 07:26 PM
agustinkim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
TRAIN TRAIN TRAIN TRAIN!!!!!! that's the only way to see
Old 05-07-13, 06:51 AM
ochizon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Digging up an old post, but...

Assuming, hypothetically, you only cared about the kilo, and trained exclusively for that. what sort of on-bike workouts would you focus on?
Old 05-07-13, 08:12 AM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by ochizon

Assuming, hypothetically, you only cared about the kilo, and trained exclusively for that. what sort of on-bike workouts would you focus on?
for starters, the obvious:
1 kilometer workouts. overdistance, undergeared efforts.
standing starts.

Last edited by queerpunk; 05-07-13 at 08:17 AM.
Old 05-07-13, 09:10 AM
ochizon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^^Thanks

well i do, for instance, 1min max effort workouts. 3 reps, easy spin between (5 min or so break - however long i need to go all out again). Some of my track buddies say that is too low a volume. But if i do anymore max efforts, my power drops, and i feel that is wearing myself out for no good reason. I just was wondering what you guys do
Old 05-07-13, 10:49 AM
David Broon 
Sqrl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Baby Puke
You'll have to race it and see. You can't kilo with a sliderule.

I definitely saw this and thought he was being sassy with Carletons Sig. Then I realized it was a zombie thread.
That would be spectacular. A trail of blood and sealant.
Old 05-07-13, 12:48 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by queerpunk
for starters, the obvious:
1 kilometer workouts. overdistance, undergeared efforts.
standing starts.
+1

Originally Posted by David Broon
I definitely saw this and thought he was being sassy with Carletons Sig. Then I realized it was a zombie thread.
Ha!
Old 05-08-13, 08:41 AM
Hida Yanra
VeloSIRraptor

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by David Broon
+2
Old 05-09-13, 11:59 PM
JMR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ochizon

Standing starts, flying kilos, standing starts, standing starts, 1 min. max efforts, standing starts, flying 500's, standing starts, and so forth.

I think the kilo is a lot about learning to hurt yourself, I hate it, but I love it... I hate everytime I do one, but I'm pretty good at it, so I keep doing it too myself.

JMR
Old 05-10-13, 09:26 PM
Baby Puke

Interesting we never heard from the OP again. Perhaps he couldn't kilo after all.
Old 05-10-13, 09:28 PM
Baby Puke

By the way, the old school work out for improving your last lap is: 4 flying 500's with three minutes rest between. Rest fully, repeat. Guaranteed to hurt you bad.
Old 05-13-13, 06:16 AM
2ndLaw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Baby Puke
Interesting we never heard from the OP again. Perhaps he couldn't kilo after all.
I'm fairly good at it, but that year didn't get the training done that I needed when I needed it. Various bouts of minor illness in the 2 months leading up to the event. I think I posted around 1:12-ish at T-Town for 4th at Masters Natz. I have since gone low 1:10 at Giordana Velodrome, but then training lost out to life and I probably would have a hard time finishing a kilo now. My former goal of sub-1:10 has not yet been reached. Hope to pick it back up in a few weeks and see how badly the atrophy has set in.
Old 05-13-13, 06:00 PM
Baby Puke

Don't know how old you are but 1:10 is pretty fast for a master, nice job. Getting under that is a toughy...
Old 05-13-13, 11:26 PM
JMR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did a 1:09.477 at Australian Masters Track Nationals.

I want to get that down to 1:07's by next year.

JMR
Old 05-14-13, 02:00 AM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by JMR
I did a 1:09.477 at Australian Masters Track Nationals.

I want to get that down to 1:07's by next year.

JMR
Wow. I'm impressed! I wish I could ride a 1:10.
Old 05-14-13, 10:21 AM
spazegun2213

Bikes: '11 Allez Comp, '09 Pinarello Pista

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
Wow. I'm impressed! I wish I could ride a 1:10.
What is your Kilo time? While I don't want to turn this into a d*ck measuring contest, I'm always really surprise when I hear of people's times. One of the guys that runs my friday night races, is a huge roadie, good track racer, and shocked me when he said his best is a 1:13.. that is a flying time as far as I'm concerned.
Old 05-14-13, 12:02 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by ****egun2213
What is your Kilo time? While I don't want to turn this into a d*ck measuring contest, I'm always really surprise when I hear of people's times. One of the guys that runs my friday night races, is a huge roadie, good track racer, and shocked me when he said his best is a 1:13.. that is a flying time as far as I'm concerned.
My best Kilo is 1:15 using drop bars.

My 500M splits put me on a pace to go around a 1:10, but the wheels fall off when I have around 250M to go...then it's like somebody straps a refrigerator to my back.
Old 05-14-13, 07:36 PM
JMR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks!

They held the TT's on the last day of competition, so I didn't feel like I went as well as I should have... the last lap I faded pretty badly when normally I can hold it fairly well to the end.

Next year I am Masters 2 and I went a second quicker than any of the Masters 2 guys this year. If I get a good result (hopefully 1:07's) I am planning on going to worlds and see how I fair there!

JMR
Old 05-15-13, 12:48 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by JMR
Thanks!

They held the TT's on the last day of competition, so I didn't feel like I went as well as I should have... the last lap I faded pretty badly when normally I can hold it fairly well to the end.

Next year I am Masters 2 and I went a second quicker than any of the Masters 2 guys this year. If I get a good result (hopefully 1:07's) I am planning on going to worlds and see how I fair there!

JMR
Nice.

If you don't mind my asking...
- What kind of times are you getting for your standing 500M?
- Aerobars or drop bars for your 500M?
Old 05-15-13, 07:58 PM
Baby Puke

My 500M splits put me on a pace to go around a 1:10, but the wheels fall off when I have around 250M to go...then it's like somebody straps a refrigerator to my back.
-Ha, isn't that how it's supposed to feel??
Old 05-16-13, 12:04 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Liked 3,878 Times in 2,026 Posts
can I Kilo?

Yes you can!

Old 05-16-13, 10:06 PM
JMR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice.

If you don't mind my asking...
- What kind of times are you getting for your standing 500M?
- Aerobars or drop bars for your 500M?
No problem... happy to share what info I have.

Unfortunately, I didn't get my splits from Nationals... I even emailed and tried to get them.

I use aeros.... https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/roa...rs/dedahbat180

Got these not too long ago and the dropped bullhorns seemed to really help my starts, I'm able to really get my back into the starts.

I'll see if I can dig up some splits from training and send them to you.

JMR
Old 05-19-13, 04:20 PM
VanceMac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode my first kilo today. Since I'm 50+, I may never have to ride one again. And right now, I'm not exactly crying about that.

My initial impression: it hurt in a way I didn't quite expect. In a 2k, I hurt just as much, but it's more of a balance between aerobic and anaerobic. Being shorter, the kilo is obviously more anaerobic, but it wasn't the kind of deep muscle burn that I expected, it was more this:
the wheels fall off when I have around 250M to go...then it's like somebody straps a refrigerator to my back.
The last lap felt like I was pedaling through quicksand. My quads, rather than being on fire, felt like they were in a permanently over-flexed state and thus could barely budge (it honestly felt like I was adding no power, the legs were only moving because the pedals were pushing them). The weird part is that I would have guessed the final lap was a full 3 seconds slower (I know 3 seconds for a lap is a HUGE difference... that's how slow it felt!!), but it was only 1 second slower than lap 3.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.