Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Giving up on GP 4000s - crappy sidewalls?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-11, 09:21 PM
deepakvrao

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

Fantastic rolling, great quality ride, great flat protection, but after having 3 sidewall cuts on 3 tyres, all within 500km, just not worth the heart burn.

Threw away one tyre at 170km and 2 within 500kms. Though 1 set is going fine now for about 4000, just cant trust these tyres anymore.

Anyone with similar experiences? Or do you think I got a bad batch?
Old 03-11-11, 09:30 PM
scirocco

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It sounds like your roads must be too bad for lightweight road tyres. Sidewall cuts should be very rare. If your roads have enough glass or road debris to regularly reach up the side of the tyre and cut the wall, you probably should be considering a heavier duty tyre. None of the lightweight racing tyres like GP4000s or PR3 have kevlar belts in the sidewalls, only in the main tread, so almost anything will cut the sidewalls.
Old 03-11-11, 09:37 PM
deepakvrao

Yeah, maybe you're right. friends have had great experiences with Rubino Pros. Are they with thicker sidewalls? Just ordered a pair of Ultremos. I know they are also light weight, but I'll try my luck.
Old 03-11-11, 10:00 PM
Cdy291

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rubino Pros have side walls as thin as paper. What sort of pressures are you using. If you are pumping up your tires to hard for your body weight that can easily lead to more frequent side wall cuts.

Co owner of The Chain Station bike shop.
Old 03-11-11, 10:12 PM
deepakvrao

I run 120psi but I'm 79kg [174 pounds].
Old 03-12-11, 12:08 AM
kindablue
Fly on the wall

Bikes: a few

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by deepakvrao
I run 120psi but I'm 79kg [174 pounds].
https://www.vittoria.com/tech/recom-tyre-pressure/

I'm no expert, but you may be running your tire pressure too high. Someone on this forum threw out a great equation for determining tire pressure (maybe PSMIT?), but i'm too lazy to search.

FWIW, I'm 170 ish and I run 100 in front, and 110 in rear. Just switched from Gatorskins to GP4K and have only had one sidewall issue (on a rear Gatorskin with ~4000mi on it... was time for the little guy to go anyway).
Old 03-12-11, 12:13 AM
foresthill

Bikes: MTB: Stumpjumper FSR, Road: De Rosa King 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kindablue

I'm no expert, but you may be running your tire pressure too high. Someone on this forum threw out a great equation for determining tire pressure (maybe PSMIT?), but i'm too lazy to search.

FWIW, I'm 170 ish and I run 100 in front, and 110 in rear. Just switched from Gatorskins to GP4K and have only had one sidewall issue (on a rear Gatorskin with ~4000mi on it... was time for the little guy to go anyway).
I also weigh 170 and run 100/110, based on the same formula, i'm sure. It's hard for me to imagine that an extra 10 and 20 psi would be causing that much of a problem, tho.

I've been using GP4000s for several years now, and believe it not, I've never had an in-ride flat on them (I've had one or two punctures that resulted in really slow leaks that manifested the next day.) Never had a sidewall issue either.

Now I will cross my fingers and hope I don't break my winning streak on my ride tomorrow.
Old 03-12-11, 12:31 AM
JustMe
Gr8 day 4 hill repeats

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think you got a bad batch. I have had similar experience when I do frequent rides in the local mountain roads where there is a fair amount of scree and small rock debris on the roads, particularly after storms. If that's the source of your problem, I doubt, as others have mentioned, that you will have a better experience by changing to a different light weight tire, although I noticed today that Bontrager seems to have more rubber in the sidewall. I've been using the GP4K since they replaced the 3K, and am considering a change for other reasons, but sidewall vulnerability is certainly an issue.
Old 03-12-11, 12:48 AM
Carbon Unit
Live to ride ride to live

Bikes: Calfee Tetra Pro

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Continental 4 Seasons. You won't get any side wall cuts but they don't feel like 4000s either.
Old 03-12-11, 01:52 AM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbon Unit
Continental 4 Seasons. You won't get any side wall cuts but they don't feel like 4000s either.
With sufficiently crappy roads, you can cut anything. I've sidecut Armadillos, Hardcases, and Schwalbe Marathon Plus to uselessness.

But I agree that the Conti 4 Seasons is a good all rounder tire with decent flat and sidewall cut resistance.
Old 03-12-11, 02:41 AM
WHOOOSSHHH...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have tried them all. I have come to the conclusion that they are all about the same, as far as flats. I think it's more about air pressure, road condition, and luck!
Old 03-12-11, 05:18 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Yes, Psimet. According to his formulas, for Deepak's weight:
23s: 100f, 110r
25s: 90f, 100r

I am 180lb/82kg and that is what I run.

Btw, Deepak - I've used GP4000s on our island roads that are orders of magnitude worse than what you guys have in Bangalore. No problems with sidewall cuts or flats. But then, I also use PR3s as my daily riding tire and have only had 2 flats in >5000km of riding, so maybe I'm lucky when it comes to flats.

V.
Old 03-12-11, 06:14 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 727 Posts
Originally Posted by banerjek
With sufficiently crappy roads, you can cut anything. I've sidecut Armadillos...
Heh-heh. Ain't that the truth! On my very first ride on brand new Armadillos I banked through a corner that some hooligans had littered with 1/2" carpet tacks! Sidewall es mort!

But to the OP, it sounds like you're underequipping yourself for the types of roads you're no doubt encountering. I've been riding Conti GP4000S on my main road bike since they were first introduced, and I've found them to be no more (or less) prone to sidewall problems than any of the other tires (Hutchinson, Specialized, Michelin, & Conti Attack/Force) I've used over the years.
Old 03-12-11, 06:53 AM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Fantastic rolling, great quality ride, great flat protection, but after having 3 sidewall cuts on 3 tyres, all within 500km, just not worth the heart burn.

Threw away one tyre at 170km and 2 within 500kms. Though 1 set is going fine now for about 4000, just cant trust these tyres anymore.

Anyone with similar experiences? Or do you think I got a bad batch?
I had the same experience. I've been riding on GP3000, then GP4000 for several years. My last 3 flats with GP4000 were sidewall cuts. Atlanta roads are crappy and filled with broken glass, metal debris, etc.
I did some research and finally went with Grand Prix 4 Season tires. The sidewall construction is slightly different from the GP4000.
No flats yet. Got my fingers crossed.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 03-12-11, 07:40 AM
rdubbz
Beefcake the Mighty

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Same here. I'm 2/2 with the sidewall bulge. was running pressure at 100 psi and don't even recall running over anything, just started hearing rubbing against my frame. recently decided to give them one more shot, chalking that up to a bad batch maybe.
Old 03-12-11, 08:20 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 561 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22732 Post(s)
Liked 9,099 Times in 4,230 Posts
Bad luck, bad batch, bad roads, or a combination of the three.

Most of us are very pleased with this tire (sorry for the American spelling), but you may wish to try other more durable tires to compare.
Old 03-12-11, 08:23 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 208 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Ross
Heh-heh. Ain't that the truth! On my very first ride on brand new Armadillos I banked through a corner that some hooligans had littered with 1/2" carpet tacks! Sidewall es mort!.
that would piss me off.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 03-12-11, 10:33 AM
Accordion

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale CAAD10

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by foresthill
I also weigh 170 and run 100/110, based on the same formula, i'm sure. It's hard for me to imagine that an extra 10 and 20 psi would be causing that much of a problem, tho.

I've been using GP4000s for several years now, and believe it not, I've never had an in-ride flat on them (I've had one or two punctures that resulted in really slow leaks that manifested the next day.) Never had a sidewall issue either.

Now I will cross my fingers and hope I don't break my winning streak on my ride tomorrow.
Wow, I could have written this quote! I have 7000 miles on GP4000S tires with zero in-ride flats. Two flats that were slow leaks and manifested overnight that I changed in the morning but that's it. Great handling, great durability, problem-free. I'll never switch.
Old 03-12-11, 10:44 AM
Carbon Unit
Live to ride ride to live

Bikes: Calfee Tetra Pro

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bob Ross
Heh-heh. Ain't that the truth! On my very first ride on brand new Armadillos I banked through a corner that some hooligans had littered with 1/2" carpet tacks! Sidewall es mort!
I had a similar experience. About 150 razor blades for a utility knife were scattered though out the bike lane. At least a half dozen riders had their tires destroyed but I was lucky enough to not be one of them. A cyclist motioned for on coming riders to stop.

I have only used two different tires. I have had GP 4 Seasons which are durable and then GP 4000s. I have had a few 4000s destroyed because of side wall damage but I still love the way they ride. They are a ***** to install when new though. I had some suggest that I should try Michelins.
Old 03-12-11, 10:55 AM
ancker
W**** B*

Bikes: Several

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by guadzilla
Yes, Psimet. According to his formulas
Where might I find this formula?
Old 03-12-11, 10:56 AM
scottgarrett

Bikes: Parlee Z5 SL Ltd | Seven Odonata

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bad roads and a heap of debris. What you might try is using a rubber anti-flat sealant in the tube, or a Kevlar band glued inside your sidewalks with tubular adhesive. Both of these are heavy, messy solutions and would be a right old pain if you did flat and have to change the tyre. Otherwise, taller stronger tyres like Continental Gator Ultraskins in 25 or 27mm might puncture less often.
Old 03-12-11, 11:00 AM
kleinboogie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's it. I'm returning my 5 sets. Or not.
Old 03-12-11, 01:40 PM
halfspeed

Bikes: are better than yours.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Yeah, maybe you're right. friends have had great experiences with Rubino Pros. Are they with thicker sidewalls? Just ordered a pair of Ultremos. I know they are also light weight, but I'll try my luck.
Duranos would probably have been a better choice for Schwalbes.
Old 03-12-11, 01:56 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by ancker
Where might I find this formula?
Do a search for Psimet tire pressure or some variant thereof - and if the Search Gods are willing, you'll find the thread (sorry, I havent bookmarked it or saved it as a pdf).

Or maybe The Man himself will come by and re-post it.
Old 03-12-11, 04:02 PM
climber7

Bikes: 2010 Jamis Xenith Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

that chart from vittoria is interesting. i have rubino pros (150 TPI), and the sidewall of the tire says min pressure 100 PSI, max 145...or something close to that. but the chart has everyone under 143 pounds at or under 100 PSI. which do you think is a better guide? i'm right at 143 pounds, so if i went by the chart, i'd be right around the minimum pressure recommended on the tire.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.