Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Charity Events
Reload this Page >

Cross Country This Summer

Search
Notices
Charity Events Whether you're looking for riders, sponsors, or volunteers, this is the place to tell the world that cyclists can make a difference.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-11, 06:31 AM
thesearethesuns

Bikes: Currently--1978 Schwinn Le Tour III hand me down, 2006 Kona Sutra frame I am currently building up. Past bicycles: 2010 Surly LHT, 2008 Trek 3900 MTB. Childhood bicycles: 1992/3? Giant Attraction, a Huffy, a Mongoose BMX style bike, first bike a BMX.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Unfortunately I just lost my father to cancer. Since I'm not currently working, I figured that in the interim I would head out across country, and raise some money for cancer research, or for a cancer patient in his memory. I am located on Long Island, New York, but I'm not sure which route I'll want to attempt yet.

I've been wanting to do a cross country ride for some years already, and because of current circumstances in my life at present, I think this may be a good time. My timeframe will be from mid to late May to some point in July. I have been thinking out a few possible routes for the last year and a half, but in the end I will most likely ride the ACA Bike Centennial Trail for my first transcontinental attempt because it's already been done several times over, and because of the possibility of meeting up with others along the way.

Ideally I'd like to do this solo, but considering safety considerations, and to keep certain concerned parties in my life at ease, I might like to travel along with someone, or try to tag along with a group that is already organized.

If anyone else is thinking about doing such a route around that time, I'd definitely consider a touring partner. Hit me up if interested and I'll tell you more about myself, and hopefully vice versa. Thanks.

Yiannis
Old 04-20-11, 06:17 PM
Snowy Jack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry for your loss. I have a couple of suggestions if it isn't too late. You could maybe invite some of your father's cycling buddies along for part of the route, especially the start, even if it is only a few miles. It's not just families that hurt at such times and friends would probably appreciate being included . Another idea comes from a story I heard about a cyclist who was killed while on a training ride. His family and friends organized a ride in his name and donated the proceeds to a hospital. The friends felt like they were doing something for him too.

My brother and I have done the Northern Tier and Pacific Coast routes and hope to do Sierra Cascades next year. Thousands of people have ridden across the country. We've met solo cyclists who have found it difficult but it all depends on personality. If a tour is solo then it is obviously exclusive, whereas non-solo tours can include others with the same goals. Did your father have any views on going solo versus a group?
Old 04-25-11, 04:56 AM
thesearethesuns

Bikes: Currently--1978 Schwinn Le Tour III hand me down, 2006 Kona Sutra frame I am currently building up. Past bicycles: 2010 Surly LHT, 2008 Trek 3900 MTB. Childhood bicycles: 1992/3? Giant Attraction, a Huffy, a Mongoose BMX style bike, first bike a BMX.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowy Jack
Sorry for your loss. I have a couple of suggestions if it isn't too late. You could maybe invite some of your father's cycling buddies along for part of the route, especially the start, even if it is only a few miles. It's not just families that hurt at such times and friends would probably appreciate being included . Another idea comes from a story I heard about a cyclist who was killed while on a training ride. His family and friends organized a ride in his name and donated the proceeds to a hospital. The friends felt like they were doing something for him too.

My brother and I have done the Northern Tier and Pacific Coast routes and hope to do Sierra Cascades next year. Thousands of people have ridden across the country. We've met solo cyclists who have found it difficult but it all depends on personality. If a tour is solo then it is obviously exclusive, whereas non-solo tours can include others with the same goals. Did your father have any views on going solo versus a group?
Thanks Snowy Jack--Cycling wasn't one of my father's hobbies, but perhaps it would be nice to invite some of his friends over to see me off on the first day.
Old 04-25-11, 04:59 AM
thesearethesuns

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tentative Itinerary:

I'm just going to layout my intended route in hopes that someone can chime in with any and all holes I have in my planning stage. I am planning on leaving sometime in late June/Mid July.

1. First, I will have to get off Long Island (Route 27A), which will be a mission in itself (Southwest Suffolk County if anyone can lend a hand with this) and head up to Queens to spend the night at my uncle's place.

2. Next I will go take the 59th st bridge into Manhattan, and ride down to Battery Park where I will pick up the ferry to Sandy Hook, NJ

3. From Sandy Hook NJ, I will ride west to cross the state, linking up to the C & O Towpath to Princeton From there I hope to link up to the and Link up to the the ACA Atlantic Coast Route in Lambertville, NJ.

4. Continue down the Atlantic Coast Route passing through Philadelphia, Baltimore, and finally Richmond, VA where I will stay with a friend.

5. I am thinking about doing sections of the ACA TransAm trail out of Richmond, VA and on into the Smokys, where I would like to link up to the Blue Ridge Parkway, and get off around Asheville, and continue into Cherokee, NC. From there I will link up to US 64 and head into Tennessee.

6. Cross Tennessee to Memphis. US64/15 From Memphis I will cross the Mississippi into Arkansas US64, and continue through the state northwest, heading in the direction of Tulsa, Oklahoma (head out of Tulsa on W11st S, parallel to the water, and merge with Sand Springs HWY (U64) US64/99 until Perry, OK. I will then continue on US 64/412 to cross the state and exit through the panhandle into New Mexico.

7. Continue on US 64 into Raton, and then southwest into Taos. Continue on US 64 to Arizona border. (alternate route, take Route 491 from Shiprock, NM into Monticello, UT and link up to the ACA Western Express Route.

8. Continue into Arizona and follow US 160. US 160 intersects with US 163, where I will head north/northeast toward UT and ride through Monument Valley. From here I will link up to Canyonlands Recreational Park in Bullfrog, UT, and follow a park trail into Bouldertown, UT (linking up to the Western Express Route.)

9. Follow the ACA Western Express all the way to San Francisco, CA

Last edited by thesearethesuns; 05-23-11 at 08:05 AM. Reason: Added Itinerary
Old 05-23-11, 08:07 AM
thesearethesuns

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The date is getting closer and I am concerned about finding a suitable charity to ride for. I think that I might try to find an individual who needs financial help with medical bills, or needs a bone marrow transplant and ride for him or her. I did some research and it seems that bone marrow transplants are very expensive, so there is definitely a need there.