Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Origin8 adventure tour handlebars?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-11, 06:53 PM
octophasic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Im thinking about replacing my flat bars with these bars on my commuter and was just curious if anyone has any experience with them? If so, do you have any pictures of the bars on your bike? I couldnt find much info of people using them. Thanks.
Old 04-17-11, 10:44 PM
Oil_LOL
Green Tea Lemonade

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Those look nice, kinda like Trekking bars. What bike do you ride? Why do you want to switch? If you want more hand positions, look into mustache bars or drop bars.
Old 04-18-11, 09:52 AM
vaultbrad

Bikes: They have two wheels!

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 7 Posts
I wish I could like mustache and drop bars. I've tried myriad combos of stem height, length, bar rotation, brake lever position, tape type/style, etc., but I could not get drops and mustaches to work for me(Yet. Always fiddling and won't totally give up on them yet.). The best combo so far is an old Origin8 Gary Bar with a tall, short stem. The width is what made them so comfortable at around 560mm end to end. "normal" drops feel a bit too narrow for me. Perhaps I just haven't accustomed myself to them yet? Mustaches also just don't feel right. Too narrow or too much sweep or something. Dunno. The problem is they all look so good on steel bikes, so I really want to like them. Oh well. I think the most ideal bar for me would be an H-Bar type bar. The trekking bars look like they'd be pretty comfortable, but I think they are hideous. Again back to style/function debate in my head. As I typed this I wanted drop bars to work so badly that I just swapped back from flat bars to some 46cm Salsa Bell Laps. I guess I'll keep fiddling until it's right.

Give the bars a shot! If you like them, ride them. Thats what I say.
Old 04-18-11, 10:03 AM
EKW in DC

Bikes: Trek 830 Mountain Track Drop bar conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interesting. I agree; they are similar in design to trekking bars, but certainly not the same. Can't speak to these Origin 8 bars in particular, but I switched about a year ago to trekking (butterfly) bars on my hybrid. I like them so much I decided to build up my LHT using them. Depending on what use you have in mind for the bars, you might want to consider trekking bars. They offer even more hand positions and tend to run a few bucks cheaper. See Wallingford Bikes, Harris Cyclery, and sometimes even Nashbar for trekking bar purchase options.
Old 04-18-11, 10:15 AM
octophasic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it would be for a bridgestone mb-4. I need more hand position, flat bars are hurting my wrists. also I think it would give me the ability to stretch out more. I was looking at drop bars, but that requires a big investment and id have to change too much stuff, and I dont really like the butterfly bars since it looks like it would cramp me even more and they look goofy. I like the gary bars, but it looks like itd have the same expenses as normal drop bars would have.

Last edited by octophasic; 04-18-11 at 10:18 AM.
Old 04-18-11, 10:19 AM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 45 Posts

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 04-18-11, 10:27 AM
vaultbrad

Bikes: They have two wheels!

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 7 Posts
I think those bars would look correct on an old MTB. Thats an old style MTB bar that one would have seen in the past. I say go for it. They look like they'll do what you want and do indeed look pretty comfortable.