Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

What Ails You?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-11, 11:33 AM
antimike
...happy bike owner...

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Roubaix 1.0 w SRAM Rival, 2010 Access XCL9.5 29er

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What Ails You?

I was wondering if and what you guys and gals are suffering from as far as health problems.

Personally I have high blood pressure which I am trying to conquer. I take medication on a daily basis and it is annoying, but I feel like this is one of my better options.

I don't monitor it like I should, but I was wondering what other sorts of ailments ya'll had and how you deal with them.

I have changed my diet but the foods that are astronomically high in sodium seem to be less in calories than some of the other foods that I could eat. I've restricted myself to a caloric budget and tend to stay within that range.

I know I probably am by far not the worst in the group, but I feel like it might help to share experiences and see how to deal with health problems in your life.
Old 05-09-11, 12:00 PM
GumbyN

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Roubaix Elite Apex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i have a bad neck, limited range of motion in it due to a motorcycle accident in '98 and it's in constant strain/pain.
my right knee can sometimes give me issues for weeks at a time due to a football related injury/surgery in HS back in '86 - flares up pretty good if i twist it while mowing.
my low back has limited range of motion and a source of pain due to all kinds of sports and work related issues (was a "combat cameraman" in the Army, holding a 20+ lb camera on 1 shoulder for hours at a time isn't good).

as far as blood pressure or diabetes, etc., i don't have those issues and don't want them. i can't run without a lot of pain in my back, so that's why i've taken up riding for exercise.
i know my "issues" aren't what you were talking about, but they can be painful and really hamper ones ability to function. i have forgotten what it's like to be totally pain free even for 1 minute of the day, it's been so long. unfortunately, i just endure it.
Old 05-09-11, 12:09 PM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Allergies, and I'm not really sure to what. I've been to the allergist and they couldn't find any local pollens, etc. Dog dander; meh, a little bit. But I'd have to sit in a broom closet with a dog for hours on end for it to be a problem.
I think it's food allergies, so the wife is helping plan a dietary rotation to see WTF my problem is.
Old 05-09-11, 01:05 PM
psalm
A square going nowhere

Bikes: CAAD 8 & CAAD 10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Right now a sinus infection that has me sidelined. I have high BP and take meds daily for it. I have lost some weight recently, and as of last week my doctor adjusted my medication down a notch. I'm hoping to get off of meds completely some time this year. In 1998 I had an ablation procedure performed on my heart to "cure" WPW syndrome. I haven't had any real issues with my heart since, but I'll always have a little concern in the back of my head when I get my HR up.
Old 05-09-11, 01:15 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I have cabin fever, and get kind of twitchy if I don't spend a lot of time outdoors, doing things. That's nothing compared to most of what's already in this thread ... but every time my girlfriend rents a movie, 20 minutes into it, I feel like my limited time on this Earth is slipping through my fingers, and here I am sitting in front of a box of moving lights. This turns out to be the main reason I ride a bike.
Old 05-09-11, 01:33 PM
subzeroLV

Bikes: 2011 Trek 1.2, 2010 Trek 7.2FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where to start...
High blood pressure, high cholesterol, type 2 diabetes (taking meds for all 3), and a left knee full of metal plates and screws.

On the plus side, I quit smoking over 7 months ago. On the down side, I was actually in better health before I quit smoking. Blood pressure was normal, cholesterol was only slightly elevated, and I weighed 30 lbs less than I do now.
Old 05-09-11, 01:52 PM
CraigB
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I can't say. There may be representatives of the health insurance industry following this thread.
Old 05-09-11, 02:41 PM
mymojo

Bikes: '10 Specialized Allez, '09 Cervelo S1, '93 Trek T200 (tandem), Rocky Mountain Metro 30

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cancer.

Do I win?
Old 05-09-11, 02:50 PM
BigHuf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
** passes mymojo the first cookie **

I'm not competing, but you asked, I'm fat.... started out just under 400lbs, now down to 366lbs. headed in the right direction for the first time in a while.

I think aside from that, bad knees, caused by the former.
Old 05-09-11, 02:57 PM
dcrowell
Fat Guy Rolling

Bikes: Bacchetta Agio, 80s Raleigh Record single-speed, Surly Big Dummy

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Heart disease and diabetes runs in my family and I was probably headed that direction. I was 300lbs, dropped to 197, and climbed back to 223.

I will have health issues if I don't keep the weight under control.

Other than that, I have arthritis in my right shoulder. It flares up when I eat poorly. Yet, I've been eating poorly for about a year now.

I used to have lower back issues but weight loss and riding a bike has actually helped with that a lot.
Old 05-09-11, 03:56 PM
goldfinch

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Asthma and allergies, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and various sleep disorders including apnea and RLS. Some of this may be due to being overweight (was obese). Some is likely the luck of the draw. My cholesterol has always been high, even years ago when I was skinny.
Old 05-09-11, 05:26 PM
ChargerDawg

Bikes: Madone 5.9, Sequoia, World Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sciatica or piriformis in my left hip. I can't run, and I used to run 30 miles a week.

Started biking 2 years ago, and found out that the hip does not hut as a result of the exercise.

25 miles then, looking for a 50 miler this year...and to lose a bunch of weight.

By the way at my last doctor check up, I was asked what I was doing, as all of the borderline bloodwork was now normal... normal for any person.

The doctor was impressed and told me to go for the 50.
Old 05-09-11, 09:05 PM
beatsrunning

Bikes: Windsor Fens

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Asthma, severe allergies, overweight, on CPAP, had my right kidney removed just under two years ago due to a cancerous tumor, Bakers cyst behind my left knee and sciatica. Hopefully most of those will be alleviated with cycling and Weight Watchers! Remarably my BP is on the normal side.
Old 05-09-11, 09:19 PM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Mild scoliosis, severe valgus deformity in the right leg, less of one in the left. Contracted hamstrings. CMP and degenerative arthritis in the knees. Degenerative disc disease in my lower back.

But none of that is important if I do what I want.

Old 05-09-11, 10:14 PM
aenlaasu

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bad back, knees and ankles. My hip joints have started acting up too. I get wierd and occasionally severe muscle pains through my entire body which a doctor tenatively said he thinks might be neurological damage from a black widow bite I suffered about 10 years ago. I can believe that since it feels just like the bite symptoms.
Old 05-09-11, 10:52 PM
socalrider

Bikes: Litespeed Liege, Motorola Team Issue Eddy Mercxk, Santana Noventa Tandem, Fisher Supercaliber Mtn. Bike

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Other than normal aches with being in your 40's, was feeling great - dropping weight until last Wednesday. Was doing some intervals at my gym on a treadmill and the belt slipped, leg twisted and slightly dislocated my kneecap. Never done that before. Looks like I am going to be off the bike for a couple of weeks.
Old 05-09-11, 11:42 PM
ecovelo

Bikes: 1992 Trek 950, 1994 Canondale M600, 2000 Cannondale C300, 2004 Santa Cruz Juliana, 2010 Salsa Vaya, 2013 Jamis Dragon - Team Issue, 2019 Salsa Timberjack, 2020 Tern Vektron

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
I've been very fortunate physiologically - normal numbers all around and I've been blessed with an aerobic system that can get to and sustain fitness fairly quickly after the start of a fitness program.

Structurally however, is a whole 'nother story. I've been heavy and athletic (various degrees of...) most of my adult life and didn't start really "caring" for my body till my mid to late 30's, as my ultra-competitiveness always won out over tending to injuries. 28+ years of soccer, softball and on again off again distance running and triathlons, all while carrying extra pounds has really taken it's toll on my ligaments and joints.

Some things bend further than they are supposed to.... my patellas travel in directions they aren't supposed to. I have built up scar tissue from torn rotator muscles in my right hip. I have considerable nerve damage in both arms due to carpal tunnel. But by far the most intense pain that gets me and keeps me off the bike(s) is an injured sacro-iliac joint - from a fall in '08.

Boy am I starting to pity me....

But hey.... that's why there is relaxed geometry, recumbents, ergo handlebars and grips, physical therapy, cross training, cortisone injections and ibuprofen. AND the support from family, friends, loved ones ... and BF members.

I remind myself daily what my body can do and for that I am grateful.

Last edited by ecovelo; 05-09-11 at 11:44 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-09-11, 11:47 PM
fuuian

Bikes: Trek FX 7.3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Exercise-induced asthma, but I blame the severity of it (it actually isn't really severe at all) on being overweight and not practicing proper breathing techniques. My endurance was much better when I was at a healthy weight.
Old 05-10-11, 12:40 AM
jet16lg

Bikes: Early 1990 Trek 950 MTB and Centurian LeMans Road (new to me!)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
High blood pressure here myself. It's much better since I finally stopped lying to myself and went to the doctor earlier this year. I'm hoping my current weight loss will continue and I can reduce, maybe, maybe get off the meds. I've also had this odd inner pelvis pain lately. Mostly on my right leg but happens sometimes on my left leg. Doc thought it might be a hernia but nothing was found on a sonogram. I'm hoping it gets better with my weight loss or I find the true source.
Old 05-10-11, 01:50 AM
kjmillig

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Overfat, high blood pressure in check with daily meds, high cholesterol (not in check), cranky knee from a motorcycle accident in 1989, chronic ankle tendinitis (probably due to severe supination).
Old 05-10-11, 05:45 AM
bautieri
Downtown Spanky Brown

Bikes: Motobecane Phantom Cross Pro Kona Lana'I

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bad right knee and over weight. Other than that, nothing.
Old 05-10-11, 09:12 AM
Surrealdeal
a.k.a., Point Five Dude

Bikes: 1987 Trek Elance 400 T

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Obesity and road rash.
Old 05-10-11, 10:12 AM
snowman40

Bikes: Fuji

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GumbyN
i have a bad neck, limited range of motion in it due to a motorcycle accident in '98 and it's in constant strain/pain.
my right knee can sometimes give me issues for weeks at a time due to a football related injury/surgery in HS back in '86 - flares up pretty good if i twist it while mowing.
my low back has limited range of motion and a source of pain due to all kinds of sports and work related issues (was a "combat cameraman" in the Army, holding a 20+ lb camera on 1 shoulder for hours at a time isn't good).

as far as blood pressure or diabetes, etc., i don't have those issues and don't want them. i can't run without a lot of pain in my back, so that's why i've taken up riding for exercise.
i know my "issues" aren't what you were talking about, but they can be painful and really hamper ones ability to function. i have forgotten what it's like to be totally pain free even for 1 minute of the day, it's been so long. unfortunately, i just endure it.
Knee pain, back pain - check and check. I just deal with the pain, I could probably get knees scoped or something and have the pain go away, but it only bugs when I walk 15 miles with 50 pounds on my back, which I don't do any more. I also don't run 16+ miles 5 days a week and that helps as well (stupid battery operated Marines....). Throwing 50 pounds on my back has given me scoliosis...doc said can't do much at the moment about my back though.

I don't have the dieabetus, high blood pressure etc that most have. No meds of any kind. I'm as healthy as a baby ox and about the size of one. My main problem is all the fat I have, it affects knee and back pain.....my main complaints.

If you were eating, I'd stop eating if I were you....

I had this boil or something on the edge of my butt cheek (inside) that annoyed the hell out of me as it kept developing a blister over it, then another blister over that one, then one more blister. I finally popped all of those 2 weekends ago (they stopped popping on their own) and everything seems much better according to my wife.

Last edited by snowman40; 05-10-11 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Forgot something...
Old 05-10-11, 10:36 AM
CraigB
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I never should have read this thread over lunch...
Old 05-10-11, 03:05 PM
Dale_S
Lurking

Bikes: 2011 Bianchi Imola

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I take HBP meds daily due to the extra pounds. For those of you taking HBP meds, make sure you let the Dr know about your activities. I was taking Atenolol for mine, and when I cycled I noticed I always had a shortness of breath, and my heart beat would never go over 130. Went and saw the Dr and apparently the medication limits your heart rate, which starves your body for oxygen, and your body tries to make up for it and cause the shortness of breath. Took me 3 med's to finally get one that would keep my BP down, yet not control my heart rate.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.