Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

informal survey: racks vs. packs

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-11, 08:21 AM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Bikes: I have five of brikes

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 31 Posts

so today was one of the nicest mornings yet this spring in chicago and the bike commuters were out in force. i decided to have some fun with my commute and count the numbers of other riders i saw biking with backpacks/messenger bags vs. those commuting with racks & panniers/trunk bags, or large saddle bags, handle bar bags/baskets, etc. basically, the distinction i was looking for: was the load on the person or on the bike.

and here are the results of my informal survey (i did not include small saddle bags for an emergency flat kit as a load on the bike)

load on the person: 77 riders (52%)
load on the bike: 45 riders (30%)
no discernible commuter load*: 26 riders (18%)

*riders out for a recreational/training ride and/or riders who don't commute with a load everyday.

so it seems that backpacks/messenger bags are the preferred method of load carrying for most commuters along my route in chicago. what about you guys? do you notice similar breakdowns for this stuff or are the percentages different where you ride? do an informal survey on your ride home today and report back.

Last edited by Steely Dan; 05-10-11 at 08:32 AM.
Old 05-10-11, 08:29 AM
jdswitters

Bikes: Swobo Fillmore, Kona Ute, Salsa Timberjack, Salsa Fargo, New belgium brewery cruisers-2014 and 2009 and 2007

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 9 Posts
probably a much smaller data base but I see the same thing. One thing I have noticed around here, there seems to be a certain age at around the early thirties when the messenger bag/backpack gives way to racks with a trunk or full panniers.
Old 05-10-11, 08:32 AM
Dan The Man

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For short rides less than 10 minutes a backpack or messenger bag is more versatile and most people already own one. For longer rides I find it gets sweaty. On my 5 minute commute, I just grab my backpack.
Old 05-10-11, 09:38 AM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
19 mile commute. I use a rack.

Former 7 mile commute, I used a messenger bag... until I got a rack.
Old 05-10-11, 09:40 AM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

guys, this thread is not about what you personally use/prefer, but what you see other riders along your route using.

i probably should have titled the thread more carefully for those that don't read the first post before they post.

Last edited by Steely Dan; 05-10-11 at 09:46 AM.
Old 05-10-11, 09:51 AM
DallasSoxFan
Scan Me

Bikes: 2009 Trek 2.3, 2010 Specialized Secteur Sport

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In Dallas, for commuters, my observation is a heavy skew toward racks. It makes sense, commuters are rare and tend to be hard-core and a backpack on your back when it is 110 degrees is no fun.
Old 05-10-11, 09:52 AM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Steely Dan
guys, this thread is not about what you personally use/prefer, but what you see other riders along your route using.
I don't typically see other riders when I ride to work.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 05-10-11, 09:52 AM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by DallasSoxFan
In Dallas, for commuters, my observation is a heavy skew toward racks. It makes sense, commuters are rare and tend to be hard-core and a backpack on your back when it is 110 degrees is no fun.
Same in Ft. Worth, although I've been thinking about trying a messenger bag.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 05-10-11, 10:04 AM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Originally Posted by Doohickie
I don't typically see other riders when I ride to work.
seriously? that's hard for me to relate to; even on the coldest morning that i rode to work this past january, i still saw 9 other bike commuters out there battling the wind and the cold. granted, that's a FAR cry from the ~150 cyclists i counted this morning (most chicagoans are total wimps when it comes to cold weather), but i just can't fathom not seeing any other cyclists at all along my commute.

do you work odd hours/night shift or something like that?
Old 05-10-11, 10:20 AM
pallen
Descends like a rock

Bikes: Scott Foil, Surly Pacer

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Yeah, not a lot of commuting going on here either. I don't usually see any other riders going to work, and will occasionally see some spandex dudes out in the evening on my way home. If I do see another commuter, its usually in my neighborhood as I'm headed out.

As for the other's comments, I'm guessing your informal survey is saying more about the length of trips your observed riders are taking than their preference for bags v racks. If most of the riders you see are taking short trip, I would expect more bags or backpacks. If you are seeing mostly long-distance commuters, I would expect more panniers. Also weather is a factor. I cant imagine riding with a backback when its 100 deg outside for any distance.
Old 05-10-11, 10:24 AM
snowman40

Bikes: Fuji

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I see more in the evenings, but in the mornings I see about 30% of each.

In my area (Irvine and Newport Beach, California), there are quite a few people who commute in kits as they leave their suits at the offices.

There are more people riding in what would appear to be their work attire.
Old 05-10-11, 10:26 AM
AlmostGreenGuy
Intrepid Bicycle Commuter

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Jubile, Austro Daimler 'Ultima', 2012 Salsa Vaya, 2009 Trek 4300, Fyxation Eastside, State Matte Black 6, '97 Trek 930 SHX, '93 Specialized Rockhopper, 1990 Trek 950

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 34 Posts
I have never seen another bike commuter in my area. Only recreational cyclists, who are fairly frequent.
Old 05-10-11, 10:32 AM
MK313

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've only run into one other bike commuter in the two years + I've been at my current job. He was using a large seatpost rack/bag. (I saw Steely's first reply to a comment like this-I work a regular 8-5 job in suburarban Cleveland, OH.)
Old 05-10-11, 10:38 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
I'm just west of you in the near NW burbs, and don't think I've seen that many commuter period in the 5 1/2 years I've been commuting.* I saw 2 yesterday in front of my condo complex while I was waiting for traffic to clear, and was pretty stunned to see another commuter then,let alone 2. 1 had high viz covers on panniers and I think the other 1 was wearing a backpack.

*I work 10:00 - 6:00 most days, and figure I'd see more commuters during rush hours.
Old 05-10-11, 11:03 AM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Originally Posted by pallen
I cant imagine riding with a backback when its 100 deg outside for any distance.
perhaps not, but where i live it almost never gets that hot, which is why there might be some geographic differences in what commuters choose to use in different areas.

as it is though, i didn't realize that i was such an anomaly on this forum for seeing dozens and dozens of other bike commuters everyday, so maybe this thread won't prove to be terribly interesting.
Old 05-10-11, 11:08 AM
enigmaT120

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Fargo 2, Rocky Mountain Fusion, circa '93

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I've only met one other rider on my commute, and he didn't look like he was commuting. I was grinding up one of the hills on my way out of Dallas when he came flying down it. I sort of nodded, not wishing to take my hands from the bars. He said "Wheeee!" That pretty much summed it up.
Old 05-10-11, 11:11 AM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Oh.

OK, so most of the commuters I see are riding road or mtn bikes, with no racks, usually with backpacks. I'd say there's a ratio of something like 1 rack user for every 4 I see riding along with a backpack (not hydration...).
Old 05-10-11, 11:16 AM
BassNotBass
master of bottom licks

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Steely Dan
... i still saw 9 other bike commuters out there battling the wind and the cold. granted, that's a FAR cry from the ~150 cyclists i counted this morning...
What?... 150? During the entire winter I saw one other cyclist on only two occasions. During the warmer months I still only see one or two commuters a day at best and I ride during the usual business hours right through the heart of this city. I might see more if I went near UofL but bike commuting certainly is not something most people around here even consider doing. Even people I know who live within 4 miles of work will use their cars and pay for parking... then during their lunch break they go out for a 6-10 mile run.
Old 05-10-11, 11:45 AM
erileykc

Bikes: Raleigh Tourist, Jamis Coda, Rad City e-bike & a bright orange Citizen Miami folder

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I think you may be barking up the wrong tree on the premise of your question here. I ride with a back pack during my commute because I have a set complement of items that make up that pack. I don't need to reinvent that wheel every day. I also ride with a pair of panniers hanging from my rear rack because I always want my tools, tubes. pump etc in one and I often stop at the food coop or other errand running on the way home for things that fill my other bag. I ride in a major urban area and the other riders are often packing their loads in the same way - that is a combination of the two. About the only substantial divergence I might note is that mountain bikers almost never have racks or on bike load carry capacity but then mountain bikes are pretty rare as commute bikes in my experience - rare enough to be noted when they do go by.
Old 05-10-11, 11:49 AM
RuggerJoe

Bikes: '23 Marin Muirwods, '90 Specialized Hardrock (gone)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm In chicago too, riding from the north side to just west of the loop. I'd say the majority of riders I see in my commutes have either back packs or messenger bags.

I used a backpack the first week or two but got tired of getting to work with the back of my shirts soaked through (this was at the end of March). So no I'm one of the few that have a rack and pannier on a mountain bike (though I guress it's technically a hybrid).

I think alot of the riders out there use back packs or messenger bags since it's something they already have. Alot of the commuters I see look like college students at the university near my office and unless it's changed since I was there, cash flow is a very important consideration.

Last edited by RuggerJoe; 05-10-11 at 11:57 AM.
Old 05-10-11, 11:51 AM
RyanCG

Bikes: 2012 Public T7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am not sure, but I haven't seen many bicycle commuters in downstate IL. That may change when our new trail is finished. I have only seen one other person who looks like he might be a commuter. He was using a messenger bag.
Old 05-10-11, 11:52 AM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Originally Posted by erileykc
I think you may be barking up the wrong tree on the premise of your question here. I ride with a back pack during my commute because I have a set complement of items that make up that pack. I don't need to reinvent that wheel every day. I also ride with a pair of panniers hanging from my rear rack because I always want my tools, tubes. pump etc in one and I often stop at the food coop or other errand running on the way home for things that fill my other bag. I ride in a major urban area and the other riders are often packing their loads in the same way - that is a combination of the two. About the only substantial divergence I might note is that mountain bikers almost never have racks or on bike load carry capacity but then mountain bikes are pretty rare as commute bikes in my experience - rare enough to be noted when they do go by.
for whatever it's worth, out of the ~150 cyclists i saw this morning, i didn't see anyone with the combo backpack + rack & panniers, so from my experiences, the combo style doesn't constitute a statistically significant segment of the riders i see.

i also saw dozens of people commuting on mountain/hybrid bikes. i was one of them
Old 05-10-11, 12:12 PM
SouthFLpix

Bikes: 2007 Giant Cypress DX, Windsor Tourist 2011

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rarely do I see a bike commuter here in South FL. Plenty of recreational riders, but very few commuters.
Old 05-10-11, 12:28 PM
tjspiel

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Since it was too late for me to count on the way to work and it is nice outside, I decided to take a stroll around the building and count the bikes that are parked.

Of the four that are parked in our suite, 1 had panniers. Of the 4 bikes in the bike room, again 1 had panniers. Of the roughly 26 bikes that were parked outside around the building, none had panniers, though 3 had racks so it could be that the panniers were just brought inside.

Many of the 26 bikes outside probably belonged to students of the recording and production institute. Income may be a reason they don't sport many panniers, or it could be that backpacks just work better for students.

Cycling is a popular way of getting to work in this building. There are lots of bikes kept in the various office suites that I can't count. My guess is the incidence of panniers is higher among those who can keep their bikes in their office than would be of bikes left outside.

Just from memory when I think about people I see during my commute, panniers are used by 1/4 to 1/3 of the folks. I have seen people that use both a backpack and panniers. It's not that uncommon.
Old 05-10-11, 12:45 PM
chrisb71

Bikes: 09 Jamis Aurora, 4 Giant ATX 870, 64 Schwin Traveler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been riding on the lakefront path once it got warmer (rode on streets in the winter because of the darn wind, well that and the plowing ), and notice the same thing. Most people have backpacks. During the winter and early spring I think i saw more rack mounted bags/milk crates than backpacks.
Perhaps the winter commuters are a different type of rider.

It might also be interesting to count the differences between path riders and street riders. However my 4-5 mile commute at 6:30-7:00 am, i only see maybe a dozen riders on the streets, though probably close to 50-70 on the path. in the winter I'd see under 5 each day that early.

Last edited by chrisb71; 05-10-11 at 12:52 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.