Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Got ran over, now how to rebuild my pride and joy.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-11, 08:34 AM
nuhtowel

Bikes: Caad9, Fixed gear, Hardrock beater, 3 speed cruiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

On Thursday night, I was on my way home from a fast paced 20 mile ride, I was doing a cool down on a bike path. The bike path came to a T, and as I was turning two kids on mountain bikes came flying around the blind turn and mowed me over. It really was an accident, so lets not discuss the logistics of the crash itself. Anyway..

This is me, I ended up with road rash, bruises, and a snapped collar bone (fun)

This is my bike, its a Specialized Allez thats a few years old. I bought it used for $400 while I was in high school and rode it over the past 3 years. The frame and fork are toast, the dents are very deep and the fork is bent, both are aluminum so they are done for. The crankset is bent along with the front wheel, but I might be able to true it up (kidding, the wheel is actually snapped). From a brief inspection, my back wheel and shifters are ok, along with my seat, derailers, and brakes.

So now I'm left with the choice of trying to rebuild with what I have, or just hang it on the wall as art and get a new bike. Part of me wants to rebuild, but the component group I have on there is Sora, which isn't all the great to begin with. What would you do?
Old 05-14-11, 08:43 AM
surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
I'm thinking it's time for a new pride and joy. Glad your OK.
Old 05-14-11, 08:46 AM
Kneecop

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Of course you should get a new bike! Go for an upgrade from sora. You'll be happy. And motivate for your recovery...
Old 05-14-11, 08:52 AM
nuhtowel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If it weren't for the painkillers and my inability to drive, I would be at the bike shop already. Money also comes into play though, college is expensive!
Old 05-14-11, 08:58 AM
Gluteus
Maximus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In the not-so-long run, a new bike is going to be cheaper than replacing all the bits and pieces. But you already knew that.
Post the new bike, when you you get it. Good luck!
Old 05-14-11, 09:01 AM
55/Rad
Former Hoarder

Bikes: Steve Rex, Seven Axiom, Felt Z1, Dave Moulton Fuso

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Old 05-14-11, 09:03 AM
nuhtowel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 55/Rad
don't forget this
Old 05-14-11, 09:08 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Liked 135 Times in 99 Posts
And some bailing wire...

After you are healed up it will be time to go looking for a new bike.
Old 05-14-11, 09:14 AM
bikerjp
Beer >> Sanity

Bikes: 2014 Evo DA2, 2010 Caad9-4, 2011 Synapse-4, 2013 CaadX-disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The kids parents should have liability insurance. I'd investigate some sort of pay out for medical and property damage. Of course, it might be hard to prove it's their fault. It's also possible your insurance would cover it. Anyway, check your options and just don't assume you're sol.
Old 05-14-11, 09:17 AM
dspaff088
½ Throttle

Bikes: 2006 Tirreno Razza 3.0, 2007 Schwinn DH 2.0

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You could get a cheap front wheel and a used fork off the Internet.

From one student to another, this is what I would do. Just make sure to thoroughly inspect the rest but you could prob get back on the road for 100-200$
Old 05-14-11, 10:58 AM
nuhtowel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I thought about that, but I don't feel comfortable riding on a dented and bent frame
Old 05-14-11, 11:20 AM
531phile 
I'm Carbon Curious

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nuhtowel
On Thursday night, I was on my way home from a fast paced 20 mile ride, I was doing a cool down on a bike path. The bike path came to a T, and as I was turning two kids on mountain bikes came flying around the blind turn and mowed me over. It really was an accident, so lets not discuss the logistics of the crash itself. Anyway..

This is me, I ended up with road rash, bruises, and a snapped collar bone (fun)

This is my bike, its a Specialized Allez thats a few years old. I bought it used for $400 while I was in high school and rode it over the past 3 years. The frame and fork are toast, the dents are very deep and the fork is bent, both are aluminum so they are done for. The crankset is bent along with the front wheel, but I might be able to true it up (kidding, the wheel is actually snapped). From a brief inspection, my back wheel and shifters are ok, along with my seat, derailers, and brakes.

So now I'm left with the choice of trying to rebuild with what I have, or just hang it on the wall as art and get a new bike. Part of me wants to rebuild, but the component group I have on there is Sora, which isn't all the great to begin with. What would you do?
You look so Happy in the world's most depressing place, the hospital. That's a good thing you got a good disposition about this. It must be good to be young.
Old 05-14-11, 11:37 AM
Jed19

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 531phile
You look so Happy in the world's most depressing place, the hospital. That's a good thing you got a good disposition about this. It must be good to be young.
That's b/cos he's high on painkillers
Old 05-14-11, 11:49 AM
climber7

Bikes: 2010 Jamis Xenith Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
given that you've been riding it for 3 years, the frame, fork, and crankset are all toast, and the components were sora anyway, i'd say time for a new one.

if your main concern is budget, i suppose there's nothing stopping you from just getting a frameset + wheel + crankset, but it doesn't really seem worth it to me.

EDIT: also, do you race for penn state / did you race at easterns this year? that was a great weekend.

Last edited by climber7; 05-14-11 at 12:07 PM.
Old 05-14-11, 11:53 AM
spock
Peripheral Visionary

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
An outstanding attitude. Keep it up.
Old 05-14-11, 12:17 PM
wheeldeal
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs

Bikes: Huffy and Pacific

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What happened to the kids (and their bikes)?
Old 05-14-11, 01:27 PM
nuhtowel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Haha, my brother took that picture to send to my mother who was freaking out at the time, and it was before I was on any painkillers. I absolutely hate how these drugs make me feel but its the only thing that numbs the pain. I didn't get a chance to race this year for Penn State, my classes took up all of my time and I didn't have any time or energy to train, Easterns did sound like a great weekend though, the emergency room said a lot of people were brought there for the same injury. I just got back from my local bike shop, they might be able to hook me up with a frame set for cheap, but I'll let you guys all know once I get more details.
Old 05-14-11, 01:36 PM
nuhtowel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wheeldeal
What happened to the kids (and their bikes)?
They were banged up but ok, I cushioned their fall for them and their bikes. The one kids wheel was bent up but otherwise they both seemed fine. I definitely took the brunt of the accident
Old 05-14-11, 02:00 PM
GP

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Strip anything usable off and toss it all in a box. Then buy a new bike.
Old 05-14-11, 04:44 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Liked 343 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by bikerjp
The kids parents should have liability insurance. I'd investigate some sort of pay out for medical and property damage. Of course, it might be hard to prove it's their fault. It's also possible your insurance would cover it. Anyway, check your options and just don't assume you're sol.
Yup. If you have uninsured motorist coverage on your vehicle, and the accident was the other cyclist's fault, you're likely covered.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 05-14-11, 07:40 PM
NukeouT

Bikes: 1996 LeMond Yellow Jersey, 2013 Soma Saga, 1980 Zebrakenko Wind, 1980 Nishiki Ultimate

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by nuhtowel
I absolutely hate how these drugs make me feel but its the only thing that numbs the pain.
When I broke my elbow over a pothole I used lots of Kahlua. It worked very well, and I knew exactly what side effects to expect! Plus I might have saved some money on the drugs too.

I've never broken a collar bone though....

Get well soon, and show us your new used bike when you get it.
Old 05-14-11, 08:48 PM
pgjackson

Bikes: Rossetti Vertigo

Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman
Yup. If you have uninsured motorist coverage on your vehicle, and the accident was the other cyclist's fault, you're likely covered.
This is what interests me. When my bike was stolen, my renter's insurance covered the loss. But if the bike is in an accident what insurance covers it? My biggest fear is totaling the bike. I definately don't have the $$$ to jsut go out and get another one. Is there bike insurance? Is it something I can add to my car insurance or something? I mean, if you run into someone on your bike, you don't call the cops.
Old 05-19-11, 12:53 PM
nuhtowel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Now I'm faced with a tough decision. I've always wanted to try to take up mountain biking, and there is a really nice cannondale 29er that I can't seem to stop thinking about. Its entry level with low end components, but I think it would still be a good time considering the amount of trails around State College. But today while talking to a friend of mine at the shop he works at, he offered me a full ultegra group minus the cassette. I've purchased a other parts from him before and everything was very well maintained.

So I guess it comes down to whether I should try something new or build the road bike of my dreams.
Old 05-28-11, 09:23 AM
nuhtowel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As I recover, I've been watching craigslist for potential new rides. Although the Philadelphia craigslist is usually loaded with a bunch of crap, it seems that I may have found a winner. The potential new ride is a Cannondale Cad 7 (R700), with 105/ultegra components. The bike is in immaculate condition with less that 1000 miles on it. The only thing keeping it from being mint is a small scratch on one of the shifters, but I really don't care all that much about that. The guy is asking $720 for it, do you guys think its a good deal?