Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

on a road trip celebrating my BDay

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-11, 01:28 AM
viros20

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

so last year I came up with an idea to drive from so cal to boulder co for a half ironman since it fell on my 30th bday weekend. I know tri's arnt very popular here on the 41 but stick with me

so I'm currently on the road in a rented prius along with my sworks and decided to spice up the trip a lil.

my first stop was Vegas were I successfully rode the 113 mile viva las Vegas century route which included a nice visit to Hoover dam along with 6000+ft of climbing

after a rest day, today I successfully finished my Moab Utah century route which I found online which is part of a skinny tire event they hold here annually.. came across a black bear which looked more scared of me than I was of it. Later a bunch of cows blocked the small road & I retreated when I saw a bull in the mix. Waited a while till a suv came along & cleared my path. Ended up succsessfully finishing and adding another 5000ft of climbing

Friday is my actual BD I'll be in Denver where I plan to get up early & do the Idaho springs to Mt Evans route which I hope to summit. I expect to see big horn sheep & mountain goats and although I haven't looked into it I'm sure they would never use their horns on a friendly cyclist

Any how I highly recommend the first two rides I did, although if I ever do them again I doubt it will be alone.

my actual Tri is on Sunday which honestly I'm more excited about Mt Evans..I'll keep this thread updated if there's interest sorry for no pics I'm on my iPhone and haven't figured out an easy way yet
Old 08-04-11, 04:52 AM
phee

Bikes: BMC RM01

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pics are a must. Have a great birthday!
Old 08-14-11, 07:14 PM
viros20

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
because talk is cheap .. here are some pics

hoover dam more impressive than anything on the strip

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/106029902
ironically this vegas route on fresh legs ended up being more difficult than anything else I would do on this trip .. mainly due to heat, all the climbing and head wind

Moab! UT https://connect.garmin.com/activity/106029894

black bears run away cowardly from this guy

Mt Evans, CO https://connect.garmin.com/activity/106029886

having my sights set on conquering Everest Challenge & Haleakala

Boulder, CO 70.3 tri https://connect.garmin.com/activity/106029874

went to buy smart water at 10pm ended up partying with a couple of hotties we met in Boulder only slept two hours

could of done better on the bike but wasnt on fresh legs and had no aero bars. Didnt take it to serious seeing how I went into the event 3.5 months after breaking my clavicle. Did the 1 mile swim with 1 arm in a slow 1hr 7min fashion. Not a big tri guy this is only my 3rd and just training for a full distance Ironman which afterwards my tri days are over for some time.

planning on doing the St George Ironman next year which is one of the toughest bike courses in the country I did one lap on the bike course on the way home
https://connect.garmin.com/activity/106029869

running a not so flat marathon after over 5000ft of climbing will be interesting

Independence pass day after the tri in hipster shorts made it up at 8pm followed up with a 1hr moonlight descend

Overall I knocked out every ride I planned and my road trip was a big success, got to meet some interesting babes along the way and squeeze in some hikes in Moab & Zion National parks.

thanks for looking