Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Where can you take your bike inside?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-11, 12:34 PM
Easy Peasy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So far, I've taken my bike into the work place (i park my bike in my office) and the post office to check the po box.

Are people generally tolerant of those who want to bring their bikes inside?
Where else do you take your bike indoors?
Old 08-06-11, 12:48 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I taken my bike into:

PetSmart
CVS
GFS
Sweetbay
Radio Shack
Burger King
Walgreens
Best Buy
Office Depot

Basically anywhere that I go that doesn't have a bike rack I'll bring my bike inside. If they tell me that I can't then I turn around and leave and don't do business with them.
Old 08-06-11, 04:21 PM
JeffSG
Charlotte, NC Commuter

Bikes: Gary Fisher Wahoo with Mammoth wheels

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've taken my bike into:

My garage

Even at work I leave it in the parking deck. Too big and cumbersome to be taking inside anywhere. It usually takes two hands for me to maneuver it around.

Ride safe,

Jeff
Old 08-06-11, 06:18 PM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Anyplace there isn't a sign telling me to leave it outside.
Old 08-06-11, 06:54 PM
Easy Peasy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good to know others take their rides in! I guess it's better to take it inside like you own the place rather than ask. :- )
Old 08-06-11, 07:02 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Easy Peasy
Good to know others take their rides in! I guess it's better to take it inside like you own the place rather than ask. :- )
Exactly, actually at a couple of places I've been told by the owner/manager or someone who works there to go ahead and bring my bike inside. There's also an Ace Hardware store that I take my bike inside of, and they're one of the ones that told me to bring it in.

When I do so I look for someplace that is out of the way to park it, usually at Sweetbay/Walgreens where they store their shopping carts.

Actually, I had to laugh the other day when I went to Sweetbay. One of their employees was bringing in some shopping carts and apologized for getting in my way, and I apologized to him, acknowledging that I really shouldn't have brought my bike inside, and he said not to worry about it.
Old 08-06-11, 07:11 PM
waynesworld
Papaya King

Bikes: 2009 Felt X City D, 1985 (?) Trek 400, 1995 (?) Specialized Rockhopper, 1995 Trek 850

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
PetPeople told me to bring mine inside if I want, and I do.
Old 08-06-11, 07:26 PM
scroca
commuter and barbarian

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
So far, I've taken my bike into the work place (i park my bike in my office) and the post office to check the po box.

lbs
Old 08-06-11, 07:29 PM
sggoodri

Bikes: 1983 Trek 500, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2023 Litespeed Watia

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I only take my bike inside the local bike shops, my office, and my home. I don't expect other businesses to deal with a bike inside.
Old 08-06-11, 08:08 PM
dahut
Ridin' South Cackalacky

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Grocery stores
Drug Stores
Banks
Old 08-06-11, 09:02 PM
labrat

Bikes: Bianchi Road bike, Nashbar Ultegra triple cyclocross, Raleigh full XT hybrid, lugged steel Schwinn, Full rigid Diamondback MTB

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In the summer, I've brought my bike into auto parts stores, a Boy Scout shop, sporting goods stores etc. It seems if you act like it's not out of the ordinary, and you don't make a mess or inconvenience anyone, no one seems to care. In the winter when the roads are slushy or sloppy the bike stays outside (unless I'm going to my favorite lbs - then it gets carried to their back room to be parked over a floor drain). I've had the people at the Boy Scout shop tell me I could bring it in during the winter but they seemed to understand when I explained my goal is to "leave no trace" and just can't do that with a wet or snow/ice covered bike.
Old 08-07-11, 12:18 AM
Digital_Cowboy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by scroca
lbs
Yeah, I forgot about the LBS that I go to on a regular basis. And my bank, when I take it into my bank I park right inside the door next to the bulletin board.
Old 08-07-11, 04:25 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
I don't own a bike lock because I don't leave the bike unattended when I'm out with it. I'm lucky to bring it indoors at work, and I don't plan any major errands requiring me to take my attention away from it. My usual stops are quick in-and-out, like convenience stores or fast food joints.

There have been a couple threads on Bikeforums about bringing the bike into hotels and motels. Most correspondents had no problem and the general strategy seemed to be just wheel it in, and that's been my experience.
Old 08-07-11, 05:14 AM
jduvall

Bikes: Dawes SST Al (2011) Trek 1000 (2003?)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Walmart
Bank
Petsmart
Anyplace that does not have a bike rack or serve food really
Old 08-07-11, 05:31 AM
kenji666

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I ride my bike inside the stores, so I don't slip on the floor with my cycling shoes.
Old 08-07-11, 07:22 AM
dcrowell
Fat Guy Rolling

Bikes: Bacchetta Agio, 80s Raleigh Record single-speed, Surly Big Dummy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'll take my bike into places that aren't crowded and don't have bike parking. I also keep my bikes indoors at home, and park in my office at work.

Even my favorite pizza place lets me bring my bike in.

I generally don't take my bike in grocery stores or drug stores - there is usually bike parking.
Old 08-07-11, 08:02 AM
dahut
Ridin' South Cackalacky

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by labrat
In the summer, I've brought my bike into auto parts stores, a Boy Scout shop, sporting goods stores etc. It seems if you act like it's not out of the ordinary, and you don't make a mess or inconvenience anyone, no one seems to care. In the winter when the roads are slushy or sloppy the bike stays outside (unless I'm going to my favorite lbs - then it gets carried to their back room to be parked over a floor drain). I've had the people at the Boy Scout shop tell me I could bring it in during the winter but they seemed to understand when I explained my goal is to "leave no trace" and just can't do that with a wet or snow/ice covered bike.
Some good points made here: "...if you act like it's not out of the ordinary, and you don't make a mess or inconvenience anyone, no one seems to care."
Give respect to get the same. I tell people I would like not to walk home, were my bike stolen from in front of their establishment. They usually can relate to that. Occasionally, bringing the bike in is just the wrong thing to do - the place may be to small, crowded etc. It's a judgement call.
Then you leave it outside, or go elsehwere.
Old 08-07-11, 09:07 AM
SouthFLpix

Bikes: 2007 Giant Cypress DX, Windsor Tourist 2011

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I only take it indoors when I go to the LBS for the occasional repair. Any other time I lock it up outside.

Having said that, I don't have a super expensive 'dream machine'. If I had a titanium roadbike with a top of the line gruppo, yeah that bike would pretty much be welded to me.
Old 08-07-11, 09:09 AM
Norel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Last edited by Norel; 09-11-11 at 05:56 PM.
Old 08-08-11, 08:52 PM
streetstomper

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by sggoodri
I only take my bike inside the local bike shops, my office, and my home. I don't expect other businesses to deal with a bike inside.
Agreed. If they allow one bike, they have to allow them all, and most other people just aren't that careful with their bikes inside since they ride Huffy/Walmart junkers. Then they put scratches and dents in walls and doors and the attitude turns against bikes and their riders. And it takes up a lot of space. A bike is a vehicle. It belongs outside where its dirt and chain grease can't bother others, the only exceptions being home, LBS and maybe work. Get a good lock and use it.
Old 08-08-11, 09:25 PM
Igo

Bikes: Giant Defy 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So far, just my office and my house or the bus.
Old 08-08-11, 09:51 PM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
A T shirt and beach shop in Ft Lauderdale threw a fit, were not nice people anyways it seems. I had picked out several items for my wife, about 100 dollars in merchandize. I handed it back and rolled my money up and left. I told her, no rack, my bike goes with me, she smarted off and I put my roll of money away and rode off with a wave. See ya. I got the money, they want it, they get me and the bike. If there si a decent rack that is lockable and in a visible area, then sure, I will lock it out.
Old 08-08-11, 10:13 PM
Hangtownmatt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anywhere where other people are pushing shopping carts I will take my bike inside.

My question is this.... Assuming you don't stink like a dog, how many people ride to the dentist or doctor's office? I've been contemplating this for a while. I've got some favorable routes to these locations, but I will NOT leave my bike outside.

Along these lines:

Last week I got stung on the lip by a hornet or something. I wasn't sure what, but being allergic to bees and not having my kit with me, I was not taking any chances. I rerouted my commute past my primary physicians office just in case. By the time I got there I was showing significant swelling. It wasn't an emergency, but that isn't the point. I brought my bike inside. Nobody batted an eye. When it was time for my appointment I left it in the waiting room. The nurses said it would be fine right there. Nobody will steal it. When the doctor released me, he prescribed a couple Benedryl's, wrote me a new perscription for a bee sting kit, looked me directly in the eye and said ... "whatever you do don't stop riding that bike !!!"

I've got a blood test, annual physical, dental checkup and eye exam all in the next couple months. I think I might just give it a try. Afterall, if they say no, they loose the business. Sometimes it is easier the ask for forgiveness than permission ;>)

I'm thinking about starting a new thread titled "Are you a Mouth or Nose Breather?" I swear, had this thing stung me in the back of the throat, whatever it was, I'd be a dead man. It only missed by millimeters and I was in a fairly remote location.

P.S. I now have my bee sting kit in my backpack.

Matt
Old 08-09-11, 03:22 AM
Digital_Cowboy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Hangtownmatt
Anywhere where other people are pushing shopping carts I will take my bike inside.

My question is this.... Assuming you don't stink like a dog, how many people ride to the dentist or doctor's office? I've been contemplating this for a while. I've got some favorable routes to these locations, but I will NOT leave my bike outside.

Along these lines:

Last week I got stung on the lip by a hornet or something. I wasn't sure what, but being allergic to bees and not having my kit with me, I was not taking any chances. I rerouted my commute past my primary physicians office just in case. By the time I got there I was showing significant swelling. It wasn't an emergency, but that isn't the point. I brought my bike inside. Nobody batted an eye. When it was time for my appointment I left it in the waiting room. The nurses said it would be fine right there. Nobody will steal it. When the doctor released me, he prescribed a couple Benedryl's, wrote me a new perscription for a bee sting kit, looked me directly in the eye and said ... "whatever you do don't stop riding that bike !!!"

I've got a blood test, annual physical, dental checkup and eye exam all in the next couple months. I think I might just give it a try. Afterall, if they say no, they loose the business. Sometimes it is easier the ask for forgiveness than permission ;>)

I'm thinking about starting a new thread titled "Are you a Mouth or Nose Breather?" I swear, had this thing stung me in the back of the throat, whatever it was, I'd be a dead man. It only missed by millimeters and I was in a fairly remote location.

P.S. I now have my bee sting kit in my backpack.

Matt
I get my medical care at the local VA. I ride my bike to all of my appointments. They used to have a bike rack not too far from the bus stop but they've been doing some remodeling and have removed it. I haven't been able to find out if there are any plans to replace it. So I lock it to the fence that is close to the main hospital, using one of the "fatter" posts to secure it to. It's in a nice high traffic area and it is locked with two locks and covered with a Topeak cover.

I've been told that there is another rack out behind the hospital, but I haven't found it. And in talking with a friend of mine who works in the dermatology clinic it's not in a high traffic area and as such bikes locked to it would be more likely to be messed with.

When I've had to go to the ER at the local VA I've locked it to a short but VERY sturdy fence right in front of the ER doors.
Old 08-09-11, 11:44 AM
Booger1

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Everywhere I shop or I don't shop there.It's a bicycle shaped baby stroller.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.