Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Need Information On This Folding Bike from West Germany...

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-11, 11:28 AM
tomorrow447

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My husband has this bicycle and it states on it, "Luxus/Jaguar & Made in West Germany". It is also a fold up bike. I have searched the internet for may hours and could not find any information on this bike. Does anyone have any info on it or can someone provide me with a link with info for this bike. Thank You...
Old 08-13-11, 11:55 AM
brianinc-ville

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 42 Posts
That looks to be a standard U-frame folding bike. They were made by many different producers in many European countries (notably Italy, but also Germany, Yugoslavia, Spain, France...) in the '70s and '80s, and sold under dozens of names, but they're basically all the same. Pretty low quality, very flexy frame. In Italy you'll still see dozens of them rusting away out on the street. It's unlikely to be worth much, but if you're in a big US city (NYC, Philly, maybe Boston, maybe Chicago) you might get $100-150 for it if it's in tip-top condition (it's a single-speed, right?). Here's a site with some pictures of the general type of bike you're talking about: https://mysite.verizon.net/vzeeainh/klapprad/id4.html
...and here's a fun short film starring one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2NjtpKd9G4
Old 08-13-11, 12:33 PM
brianinc-ville

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 42 Posts
P.s. --

1) if you google "altes Klapprad," you'll find more pictures (and a little bit of info, if you read German), and on that note,

2) I've got a checkerboard D-for-Deutschland mudflap, as pictured in this thread, that's looking for a good home. Mine's black, not red. PM me.
Old 08-13-11, 01:35 PM
Transformer
Fair Weather Cyclist

Bikes: R&M Frog, Moulton TSR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You may also try Googling Falträder or Falträd which I think are German translations for folding bike.
Old 08-14-11, 05:21 PM
tomorrow447

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you so very much brianinc, for all the information on this bike. My husband is happy that he now has the history of this bike and knows the value. At that price he probably with just keep it then. We do reside in NY so it probably would have been easy to sell. But my husband thinks it pretty cool looking, not that he will ever ride it....lol
Also thank you transformer for the translation as this sure does help.