Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Dog Ruined My 30 Mile Ride and My New B17!!!!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-11, 01:06 PM
Rickochet
Flying & Biking Member

Bikes: TREK 2005 Navigator 200

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

While bicycling I have been bitten by 2 dogs over the years. (One was a German Shepard and the other a little freaking yapping Pomeranian.) Today I was almost munched on by a St. Bernard. I live in the desolate rural country in Indiana and I am well versed in dogology. This critter must have been lurking in the shadows of a barn and as I was just past the middle of his turf, he came busting out from the yard and was going for my right leg. A 10-15 mph head wind had me bogged down so I was unable to do any sprinting. I braked hard and he shot in front of me and I clipped his huge horse like butt. And down I went. I hopped back up and began yelling at the house for the owners to get their freaking dog. All that happened was a peek from the blinds. No attempt to reel in their massive poor excuse for a pet. After I yelled about 10 times, the dog began to back away while still barking and the owners never did anything but peek from the blinds. (Younger home owners from the looks of their tricked out vehicles.)

After walking my bike about 100 yards down the road I pedaled about a half mile away to asses the damage. With a road rash on my left leg and a big road scar on my less than 1 week old Brooks B17 Imperial saddle and a big scrape on my almost new Shimano PD-324's I began to get a little pi$$ed. I took off my helmet and noticed I hit my head on the pavement because my helmet had a road rash of its own. I also noticed that I had an area in my palm that was swelling. Since the owners never responded, I decided to call the Sheriff's Dept. to file a complaint.

The deputy took pictures and filed a report so I can provide the info to my insurance company and they can battle it out. He said he was going to talk to the owners and let them know what occurred and they were responsible for their dog's behavior.

I told him that I typically carry HALT pepper spray with me but today I had not because I left it in our SUV from yesterday's trip to ride. He said that people have the right to protect our life and property using any force necessary.

I love dogs & cats, but animals like this just may get an extra dose of force next time I ride by. This POS dog probably got his demeanor from his POS owners. Maybe they need a little extra force too!!!!

Well, maybe the Sheriff knocking on their door this morning may have an impact on their response next time someone yells for help and to get their dog back in their yard. If not, maybe the insurance company sending them a bill will. Or.....

There, I fell better now. Any comments for how you handled a similar situation is appreciated! I am getting too old for this stuff... glad my wife wasn't riding with me today.

Old 09-05-11, 01:20 PM
Badgerjohn
Kittery Maine / NC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess I would have to say, be glad it wasn't a lot worse. I scouted a new route this am and noticed dogs and a nice pitbull. It's a country ride and I am kinda thinking about it. It is a very popular route for bikes though. Halt sounds like a good idea. Glad to hear you are ok. No concussion? Watch for signs of it. And run the damn dog over! Or the owners??? Kidding of course.
Old 09-05-11, 02:29 PM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You live in America, right? Shoot the ****er.
Old 09-05-11, 02:42 PM
Red Baron

Bikes: Not enough

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by chasm54
You live in America, right? Shoot the ****er.
where I RIDE in rural KY I see sign's that say "F*** the dog, worry about me". When I have trouble with dogs CONSISTENTLY, I do drive by's with a 12 gauge. Only have done this 2X. as usually I work it out with the owner of the dog. Dog owners really get PO'ed as they treat their dogs more important than children.
Old 09-05-11, 02:46 PM
bassplyr

Bikes: Trek Domane, Specialized Secteur, Giant Roam 1, Trek 2.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a similar but less injurious experience a few weeks ago. Was at REI earlier today and checked into buying their "bear" spray. It is supposed to be really effective and the salesman mentioned they have had a real run on it lately. Decided not to get it as the canister is larger tahn I want to carry on my bike. I did order a pepper spray with holster from Amazon.

Thanks,
Roger
Old 09-05-11, 02:53 PM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
First, glad you okay, and double glad you was sporting a helmet. As another poster already mentioned, this could have been a lot worse.
Good move in calling the police.. The owners of the dog should have rushed out the house to see if you okay, and offer to take care of your damages. But, since they seemed to want to be azzholes, I would sue them to the hilt.

Again, glad you okay...
Old 09-05-11, 03:10 PM
Cychologist
Getting older and slower!

Bikes: Trek Domane 6 series Project One, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Trek XO1, Specialized Turbo Vado 6.0

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Glad it wasn't worse, but sounds like it was bad enough.

Dogs are a real issue here in rural western Kentucky.

Be sure to follow up with the sheriff as sometimes they need prompting to follow up. I would also make a list of your expenses, and send it to the dog's owners.

Be sure to replace your helmet. If it hit the pavement, it's trash.
Old 09-05-11, 03:41 PM
Langly
Panasonic Platinum member

Bikes: Trek 520, Schwinn Mesa, Mongoose Otero

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is a terrible ride report and makes me mad just reading it. There are few things that make me angrier than bad pet owners. Animals well they are animals. Their owners on the other hand should know better and train their pets.

I hope you heal up quickly. This is hits home as I had a snauhzer chasing me on this mornings ride. Luckily, I out ran him into the wind, but it was close. That little dude was fast and I have no doubt he'd have chomped me given the chance. Great suggestions on the halt and bear spray. Sorry about he B17 damage.
Old 09-05-11, 04:39 PM
UberGeek

Bikes: Schwinn Tourist (2010), Trek 6000 (1999)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Badgerjohn
I guess I would have to say, be glad it wasn't a lot worse. I scouted a new route this am and noticed dogs and a nice pitbull. It's a country ride and I am kinda thinking about it. It is a very popular route for bikes though. Halt sounds like a good idea. Glad to hear you are ok. No concussion? Watch for signs of it. And run the damn dog over! Or the owners??? Kidding of course.
Pitbulls generally are the most non-human aggressive a dog breed as one can get. They were bred for that (Not be human-aggressive, but dog-dog, and dog-animal aggressive)
Old 09-05-11, 05:28 PM
XR2

Bikes: 88 Bridgestone T700

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
The dog was just being a dog. It's what they do. If you abuse the dog because of what happened you are in the wrong. Before you say it I've had my upper lip and nose reconstructed (300+ stitches) from a dog attack. It was the dog being a dog and I hold no grudge. You've done what should be done now let the Law do it's thing. Revenge on an animal is cowardly.
Old 09-05-11, 05:32 PM
sknhgy 
Dirt Bomb

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 5599 Post(s)
Liked 294 Times in 245 Posts
I too was ambushed by a dog. I now have a plate in my shoulder. Never leave the driveway without Halt. Ever.
Rural America? The dog I hit was owned by the mayor's son and the sheriff refused to file a report. The state's attorney gave me the run around.
I learned that my safety is my responsibility.
Old 09-05-11, 05:37 PM
skilsaw

Bikes: Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Panty-waiste liberals...
Probably against capital punishment too.

Just kidding.
You should have given the dog your B17 to chew.
That would make you his friend.
Old 09-05-11, 07:46 PM
hwycruiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got ambushed a couple of days ago by a terrier that came out of nowhere. I was not ready so the dog got closer than I prefer. But I got to my Halt! and since he was close (within 5 feet). he got a good face full of the spray. No more problem, he made a U turn and the last I saw him he was rubbing his face in the dirt. I don't think he will chase the next rider that comes along. I highly recommend carrying Halt! at all times.
Old 09-05-11, 07:52 PM
jim p

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have pretty much quit riding on the roads because of dogs and crazy drivers. I am amazed at how some people seem to ride for thousands of miles each year and don't have to fight dogs all the time. Most of the dogs just want to bark or chase a little but I had one that tore a hole in my sock. This dog that tore my sock came after me another day and I fired a shot and the dog stopped immediately. Makes me wonder if we had some starter pistols if that would stop dogs. I had one owner complain when I pepper sprayed his dog and another owner laugh at his dog that I pepper sprayed. The pepper spray does not seem to hurt a dog and if it really wants to get you I have my doubts that the spray will stop it. The dogs just seem to smell the pepper and then stand there and continue barking at me.
Old 09-06-11, 12:51 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by XR2
The dog was just being a dog. It's what they do. If you abuse the dog because of what happened you are in the wrong. Before you say it I've had my upper lip and nose reconstructed (300+ stitches) from a dog attack. It was the dog being a dog and I hold no grudge. You've done what should be done now let the Law do it's thing. Revenge on an animal is cowardly.
I never heard such rubbish in my life. Taking the steps necessary to protect yourself from injury is nothing to do with revenge, and there is no law that says dogs have to be allowed to chase bikes. They can, and should, be trained not to do it.

I recently toured in Canada and New England. I was astonished at how many dogs were loose and chased bikes. It happens here, but it is much less frequent, and somehow I doubt that British dogs are genetically more civilised than American ones. It is, of course, their owners fault but if a dog is out of control and threatening someone's safety, then it needs stopping and, in extremis, shooting.
Old 09-06-11, 05:08 AM
Wogster

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by chasm54
I never heard such rubbish in my life. Taking the steps necessary to protect yourself from injury is nothing to do with revenge, and there is no law that says dogs have to be allowed to chase bikes. They can, and should, be trained not to do it.

I recently toured in Canada and New England. I was astonished at how many dogs were loose and chased bikes. It happens here, but it is much less frequent, and somehow I doubt that British dogs are genetically more civilised than American ones. It is, of course, their owners fault but if a dog is out of control and threatening someone's safety, then it needs stopping and, in extremis, shooting.
There are no bad dogs, there are however a lot of bad dog owners. I work for the post office, I got bitten on Thursday while attempting to deliver a package. I don't blame the dog, I do however blame the owner. Most places have laws that require that dogs be under their owners control, and that means either the owner is with the dog, or the dog is tied up. Unfortunately the fines for having a loose dog, and the penalties if your dog is caught, are far too low in many places. The owner should be, by law, held legally responsible for the cost of any damage done by their dog. If your dog causes an accident where there is $5,000 in medical expenses, your probably going to learn your lesson pretty quick.
Old 09-06-11, 07:11 AM
springs

Bikes: Emonda SLR, Salsa Warbird carbon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wogster
There are no bad dogs
Of course there are. Just like humans, whether through nature or nurture, dogs can be mentally impaired in various ways and prone to violent and/or pathological behavior. I will agree that more often than not the owner is the root of the problem, but there are bad dogs, too.
Old 09-06-11, 07:19 AM
david58

Bikes: Fuji Cross Comp, BMC SR02, Surly Krampas

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The important piece of this is filing a police report, filing with insurance, etc, etc. if you are bitten. Not so you can make a buck, but to make it stop happening. I believe it is safe to say you are NOT the first person this critter bit, or threatened to. And equally safe to say that the owners KNOW their dog is being a problem. Two weeks ago a friend was attacked by a Great Dane, taken down and the dog would not let go until the rider was on the ground. Owners sent a 7-yr-old outside to get the dog and bring it inside. I would have been sorely tempted to have my ride partner call an ambulance - bitten, crashed, hurt - and made a big deal of it. But the fella called the police, and rode on. The did file a report, but because the issue was not made at the time nothing is being done....
Old 09-06-11, 08:38 AM
Peter_C
I am the Snail~!

Bikes: 2010 TerraTrike Rover 8

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
First, I'm glad it wasn't worse~! Second, calling the Sheriff was a great thing to do. Shame on the owner for not controlling their dog.

I am a dog owner, and yes, my dogs are my kids~! And, Yes, I have been bit in the face by a GSD with I was a kid - can't shave my upper lip due to scarring...

If a dog is attacking, you do what you gotta do to protect yourself, PERIOD~! Example - my dogs are not outside their fenced dog-area unless I and/or my wife are outside with them. And none of the three would chase a kid, car, or bike - as they were taught not to do so. my 74lb GSD has very strong drives, but still learned what is expected of her by me.

I carry both HALT! and a big stick (my cane), and will use whichever is needed at the time.

Old 09-06-11, 09:52 AM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by XR2
Well, in my humble old opinion, when they reconstructed your nose, and upper lip, they forgot something, YOUR BRAIN!!

To stop an attack on one's person, is not REVENGE, it is survival!!
Old 09-06-11, 10:13 AM
Pistard

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I like bear spray...
Old 09-06-11, 10:31 AM
gcottay

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rickochet

There, I fell better now. Any comments for how you handled a similar situation is appreciated! I am getting too old for this stuff... glad my wife wasn't riding with me today.
Ouch!

Some years ago an experienced cyclist convinced me the big problem with dogs is not bites but those collisions. His solution was coming to a quick and complete stop without delay whenever a dog threat presents itself. Over the years I've followed that advice with excellent results. Though one advantage of this practice is increased ability to actively, and if need be aggressively, defend ourselves, I've never had to even kick a dog. The early and abrupt stop seems to magically transform us from prey or toy into human.
Old 09-06-11, 10:32 AM
XR2

Bikes: 88 Bridgestone T700

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ricochet
but animals like this just may get an extra dose of force next time I ride by.
For those that didn't quite comprehend the original post this is what I was referring to. To return with the intent of harming the dog is revenge plain and simple. You don't have to like me or what I say. I could care less.

And for cowardGS you may stuff your humble opinion where the sun makes no appearance. If you lack the ability I will assist.
Old 09-06-11, 10:42 AM
AzTallRider
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by XR2
To return with the intent of harming the dog is revenge plain and simple.
I agree. And talk about looking for trouble...
Old 09-06-11, 11:25 AM
bigbadwullf

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
.40 cal. sounds about the right size............................. for the owners. Those are the type I'd sue. Not just for not having their dog under control but for doing nothing when you were in danger. Can't stand people like that. Sue the crap out of them, THEN use the .40

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.