Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

TODAY, A mortal enemy hill met its match!

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-11, 04:38 PM
Allen55

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 1 Post

Today.

Today was a grand day. I woke up this morning in a great mood. My Clemson Tigers beat Florida State yesterday, the sun was shining bright this morning, and the birds were singing their little hearts out. Today was going to be a great day. I could feel it in my bones.

Today...today was just another day for most of you, but not for me. As I woke up, I knew that I was going to ride today. My plan was to ride the Silver Comet Trail for 5-10 miles and then relax for the remainder of the day. That didn't happen. What DID happen was that I sat around and watched the Saints beat the Texans. I sat here and thought about riding and then decided to go and ride the neighborhood.

I got my bike out, put on my gear and set out. I got to the end of my road and had a choice...go straight and ride some rolling hills or take a left and try to ride the monster that beats me every time I try. I headed straight. As soon as I crossed the highway, my front wheel took a hard left and I was facing my nemesis...The HILL.

Trekkie, my bike (2011 Trek 7000), started whispering to me.

"If you take it slow and put me in the right gear before we start up, I'll get us there", he said.

But this hill has beaten me every single time I have tried it, except in a car, I thought.

Again, I heard him whisper to me. "If you take it slow and put me in the right gear before we start up, I'll get us there. Remember what you have learned from the forums. Remember what everyone has told you. Put me in the right gear BEFORE the hill. Just DO IT!".

Ok...here we go. I take it easy towards the hill. About ten to twelve miles per hour. I got near the hill and dropped the gears to 1 - 4. Started climbing and it got a little slow. Dropped the gears to 1 - 3. Climbed more. Saw the steep part of the hill in front of me and decided at that point to go to the lowest gear I had and take it slow...remembering the words that Trekkie whispered to me - "If you take it slow and put me in the right gear before we start up, I'll get us there"

Slow and steady. I was almost to a point at one time that I thought I was going to have to put my foot on the ground to keep the bike upright. I kept pushing. My legs were burning. My lungs were on fire, but I could still breath. I felt my heart beating in my chest. I felt my legs starting to fatigue, and then it happened. What I never thought that I would do...I saw the crest of that hill. It was about seventy-five yards ahead of me.

I struggled mightily, but I refused to give up. I was too close to the top. The stop sign at the top of the hill was getting larger and I was pumping my legs harder. I thought my quads were going to explode. I could feel my glutes as they were starting to burn as well. Pushing harder than I ever have. Breathing fire. Thinking there was no way I would make it.

"C'mon, PUSH!" I was thinning to myself. Or was that my bike yelling at me?

"PUSH! You got this!"

Thirty yards. Twenty yards. Ten yards...I crested the top! I actually crested the top. I did it! I had WON!

I stopped and turned around and looked down, just to make sure that I did this. I had! There is a MUCH different prospective from the top of this thing. It actually looked steeper from up here!

I rested for a minute (or twelve), trying to get my heartbeat down and trying to catch my breath. Rejoicing in the fact that I had just beaten my mortal enemy! Letting it sink in a bit before heading forward. I couldn't believe that I had done it, but I had. I had beaten the unbeatable, in my eyes. I took this hill down and whooped him like a red-headed step child. It was harder than anything that I have yet to do on a bike, but dadgummit, I DID it!

After I reveled in the glory and had my own personal ticker tape parade while standing beside my bike, I patted it on the seat and told it what a great job it had done getting me there.

"Wasn't me", he said. "It was all you! YOU were the one pushing ME!"

I thought about that for a while. I then got back on him and we rode forward a little further. I decided to turn us around and we headed back. The ride back down that hill was a LOT of fun! I rested my feet on the pedels and just rode the bike. It felt like I was flying. I decided to go and do the loop that I wanted to do to begin with. That loop has rolling hills and I did them each with a smile on my face. I did them breathing hard, but with a smug sense of accomplishment.

I had done it. I beat it. I took that hill down. I did it with him screaming and kicking me the whole time, but I was relentless. I wouldn't give up, and finally, the hill DID give up. It was a done deal.

I'm now going to relax for the rest of the day and contemplate this whole thing. It still hasn't sunk in. I still can't believe that I did what I did.

If anyone asks me what I'm going to do now that I have beaten the Hill, I'm going to tell them, "I'm going to DISNEY WORLD!!!"

Keep moving those legs!
Old 09-25-11, 04:54 PM
chefisaac

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
great job and wonderful write up. Love your stories and enthusiasim (sp?). I needed a little postive story today. Great job.
Old 09-25-11, 04:58 PM
zencalm

Bikes: 2011 Globe Daily 2 men's small

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

^^ looks like you have a new phrase ^^
Hell yeah! Excellent job! Slaughter that hill!

Last edited by zencalm; 09-25-11 at 05:00 PM. Reason: pic didn't load
Old 09-25-11, 05:13 PM
chefisaac

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
zen: I like that!
Old 09-25-11, 06:40 PM
mkadam68

Bikes: 2012 MotorHouse road bike. No. You can't get one.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Old 09-25-11, 06:53 PM
Crazydad

Bikes: Yeti SB5, Canondale R500

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Way to go! Very eloquently written too.
Old 09-25-11, 08:17 PM
dhender02

Bikes: Felt Z85 & Trek 7.3FX

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Awesome!!!!
Old 09-25-11, 08:19 PM
jboyd

Bikes: Giant "Rainier"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Allen55
Trekkie, my bike (2011 Trek 7000), started whispering to me.

"If you take it slow and put me in the right gear before we start up, I'll get us there", he said.

After I reveled in the glory and had my own personal ticker tape parade while standing beside my bike, I patted it on the seat and told it what a great job it had done getting me there.
Oh sure, Trekkie gets the credit A dozen of your clyde and athena buddies spent days telling to "take it slow and put it in the right gear" and what happens? you start hallucinating that your bike is talking and then he gets all the glory....that blows
Old 09-26-11, 11:54 AM
RichardGlover
2nd Amendment Cyclist

Bikes: Schwinn 2010 World Street, Handsome Speedy w/ SRAM Apex

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
jboyd;

You weren't there. You don't know whether the bike was talking to him or not.

Allen;

Congrats!
Old 09-26-11, 12:04 PM
Allen55

Liked 7 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jboyd
Oh sure, Trekkie gets the credit A dozen of your clyde and athena buddies spent days telling to "take it slow and put it in the right gear" and what happens? you start hallucinating that your bike is talking and then he gets all the glory....that blows
HA! i gave credit where credit was due...read it - "Again, I heard him whisper to me. "If you take it slow and put me in the right gear before we start up, I'll get us there. Remember what you have learned from the forums. Remember what everyone has told you. Put me in the right gear BEFORE the hill. Just DO IT!".

LOL!!
Old 09-26-11, 12:55 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,464 Times in 2,567 Posts
Love your prose man, keep sharing with us on your progress. And that ride (or rather flight!) back down, I'm totally with you. As I always tell my boys when we go down hill, "This is what you earned with all that work coming up the hill!" (Except we live on a plateau, so usually for us it goes the other way: you had your fun already, now you have to pay for it...)

The human body is remarkably adaptive. I bet by the 10th time you summit this "monster", you'll view it as merely a good workout, and be looking ahead to that next, bigger, badder hill.
Old 09-26-11, 07:36 PM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
Love your prose man, keep sharing with us on your progress.

The human body is remarkably adaptive. I bet by the 10th time you summit this "monster", you'll view it as merely a good warmup, and be looking ahead to that next, bigger, badder hill.
corrected
Old 09-26-11, 10:07 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,464 Times in 2,567 Posts
OK, I meant workout, but I guess with enough progress, it could become even only a warmup!
Old 09-26-11, 10:12 PM
Allen55

Liked 7 Times in 1 Post
I was hoping you DID mean warm-up. LOL.

Im gonna feel stupid in a few months over this hill, aren't I? I mean, I have romanticized this hill in my own head and I think I made it bigger than it actually is...then again, maybe not. That bastard was HARD to beat!
Old 09-26-11, 10:15 PM
kevin_stevens

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, where's this stupid hill? Inquiring minds want to know.

KeS
Old 09-26-11, 10:22 PM
Sayre Kulp 
Bulky Bullet

Bikes: Burley Koosah / RANS Zenetik Pro / Catrike Expedition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice.
Old 09-26-11, 10:27 PM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Congratulations!

Old 09-26-11, 10:30 PM
Allen55

Liked 7 Times in 1 Post
Kevin...the hill is in Marietta, Ga just down from my house. If you have been riding for more than a few weeks, it would probably be a speed bump to you. But this hill gave me problems trying to walk it AND run it as well. I thought it wouldn't give me problems riding it. LOL. I got fooled!
Old 09-26-11, 10:53 PM
kevin_stevens

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Google Map it. This thing now reminds me of the mythic motorcycle from "Zen and the Art". I want to look at it, please.

KeS
Old 09-26-11, 11:03 PM
Allen55

Liked 7 Times in 1 Post
Dont laugh at me...

https://maps.google.com/?q=https://sha...10925-1633.kml
Old 09-26-11, 11:25 PM
Neil_B

I'm a little dismayed you are participating in this forum and think someone would "laugh" at you. I thought I was supposed to be the forum member with low self esteem. Stop poaching on my turf.

Old 09-26-11, 11:28 PM
Allen55

Liked 7 Times in 1 Post
Oh, no, Neil...I have VERY low self asteem. I seriously think that most of you would take the hill that I was so adamant about as a warm up. Kind of makes me look at things and hope that I didn't make too much out if it. But, DAMN, it has given me fits!
Old 09-27-11, 12:29 AM
Neil_B

Oh, no, Neil...I have VERY low self asteem.
Sorry, kid, but my self esteem is lower. I take pride in it.

Old 09-27-11, 03:45 AM
ClydesMoose

Bikes: 2013 CAAD 8 6 Black/Red

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Excellent application of Rule V! WTG Man!
Old 09-27-11, 05:21 AM
jethro56 
Watching and waiting.

Bikes: Trek 7300 Trek Madone 4.5 Surly Cross Check

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Allen55: Great Job! Great Story! My bike talks to me all the time. I don't know what's it's saying but I suspect it's "Get off me you big oaf."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.