Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How much automotive ******ry can a guy be expected to take?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-11, 10:51 AM
DLP

Bikes: 1971 Schwinn Super Sport, 1990? Bottecchia Cromor, 2005 Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been riding regularly for recreation and small errands for a few weeks now, and I've run into my share of idiot drivers, but yesterday was something special. I'll cut to the chase: I'm riding back from the gym, feeling good about my workout. The traffic isn't too bad; it's Saturday evening. I'm cruising along when some guy calls from the passenger side of his friend's passing SUV, "Hey fagg*t! You're gay!" Overwhelmed by the redundancy of his insult (and what it revealed about his intellect) I rode on without response.

Not two minutes later, I slip past them at an intersection while waiting on a red light. This affords them the opportunity for a second attack, but this one comes silently. As they pass, a 32oz cup of soda (which was pretty full) lands on my left thigh and soaks me and my bike. My first reaction was "ah, that actually feels kind of nice," but then "ah, WTF?" when I turned around to see the 7-11 cup dancing in the gutter.

I hope the d-bag got thirsty right after that.

The license plate is all I know about these folks, so I knew it wasn't personal, and frankly, given that I'm on 29lbs of steel and they're in like 2900lbs of it, I didn't particularly feel like making it personal. But as I rode on, I got more and more steamed about it. I pulled off and called the local PD who told me, in effect, that there was little they could do. Compared to home invasions and drunk driving, I guess my hurt pride doesn't really register. Great.

Not that I'm interested in starting a rant thread, but is this the kind of crap I should get accustomed to if I want to keep riding? Or is this exceptionally d-bag? I can handle the brave commentary from motorists and their friends, but I'm not sure I've got the stones for routine projectiles.

Last edited by DLP; 10-02-11 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Colorful language. Sorry!
Old 10-02-11, 10:55 AM
CbadRider

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm surprised the police didn't take a report, especially since you got the license plate. Hitting a cyclist with a thrown object should be considered assault.

Forum Guidelines *click here*
Old 10-02-11, 10:57 AM
kbro1986

Bikes: Ti

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the verbal stuff is tolerable... when they throw stuff, it's taken to a whole different level. It almost makes me want to carry a small rock or CO2 cartridge in my jersey to ding their car with.....
Old 10-02-11, 11:01 AM
Cyclomania

Bikes: American Eagle, Nishiki.Semipro. Great bike.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Be glad it wasn't a bottle that shattered on your frame as you rode along! That happened to me once.
Old 10-02-11, 11:15 AM
justkeepedaling

Bikes: CAAD 10, Cervelo P2 SL, Focus RG-700, Quintana Roo #101

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They assaulted you, your local PD is full of it. I would demand that they file a report
Old 10-02-11, 11:32 AM
MegaTom

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL3, Lynskey Cooper CX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by justkeepedaling
They assaulted you, your local PD is full of it. I would demand that they file a report
+1.
Old 10-02-11, 11:39 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Quoted: 2348 Post(s)
Liked 5,287 Times in 1,845 Posts
Yep, there should have been a report done. I get steamed too when stuff is thrown at me. I'm just glad it's never happened on a day when I'm already not in a good mood.
Old 10-02-11, 11:43 AM
amps

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a similar incident a few years ago riding home late at night. Had a car coming from the other direction slow down while a kid leaned out a yelled "***" and proceed to throw an egg at me. Given it was night and they had speed going the other direction, there was nothing I could do.

I don't understand the ignorance of some people.
Old 10-02-11, 11:48 AM
javal

Bikes: Monark sportser 1970, Monark sportser 1970ish, Monark folder, Mustand 1985, Monark Tempo 1999, Monark 318 1975, Crescent 319 1979, Crescent 325 c:a 1965, Crescent Starren 2002 (hybrid/sport), Nordstjernan 1960`s cruiser.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I thought I´d never would have to write this, but today a car touched my arm with its mirror. The car came from behind and there was plenty of room for the driver to overtake me. A little harder push and I would have gone to hell. I never had any chance to catch the driver. I´m so p*ssed off! I really would like to meet that guy!
Old 10-02-11, 12:21 PM
ahsposo 
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6836 Post(s)
Liked 5,545 Times in 3,266 Posts
Your bike weighs 29 lb? Jeez!
Old 10-02-11, 12:31 PM
achoo

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Damn right - file a complaint and make them take a police report.

Because the NEXT time the moron does it, there will be a paper record of him doing it in the past. And if he ever gets aggressive in his car and hits someone, that record will put him in jail where he belongs.

And maybe - just maybe - a visit from a police officer will straighten him out.

The gay-bashing slurs? Smile, wave, and shout back, "Not me, but if you swing that way that's OK by me!"
Old 10-02-11, 12:33 PM
justkeepedaling

Bikes: CAAD 10, Cervelo P2 SL, Focus RG-700, Quintana Roo #101

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd politely ask them to stop checking me out and check out the sweet rig I'm riding instead! XD
Old 10-02-11, 12:34 PM
HokuLoa
Blissketeer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

+a bunch. It is assault and the popo should follow up with a residence visit for the offender if not a ticket. They don't like to do it cause it seems "inconsequential" to them but it IS important to get the driver's record dinged with the incident so if repeat offenses happen there is a history to inform prosecution. Eventually nut bags who do things like that will likely cause an actual accident and injury...
Old 10-02-11, 12:35 PM
iconicflux
Fredly

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker w/ SRAM Rival, & 36H 38's, Late 70's Santana Tandem w/ Double Diamond frame

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's a mythbusters episode where they clearly show that a cup of ice thrown from a car generates enough force to SHATTER A WINDSHIELD.

Depending on your area and state, there's a few things you can do...

Many states have a "malicious missile" law like the one in Virginia if you know what the code is. Police take that seriously, especially when you claim it was attempted murder and show them the mythbusters episode. Other than that, if you can't get the police to do anything then you can often get a criminal investigation started by filing a complaint with county commissioners.

Cheers,
Kevin

Originally Posted by DLP
I've been riding regularly for recreation and small errands for a few weeks now, and I've run into my share of idiot drivers, but yesterday was something special. I'll cut to the chase: I'm riding back from the gym, feeling good about my workout. The traffic isn't too bad; it's Saturday evening. I'm cruising along when some guy calls from the passenger side of his friend's passing SUV, "Hey fagg*t! You're gay!" Overwhelmed by the redundancy of his insult (and what it revealed about his intellect) I rode on without response.

Not two minutes later, I slip past them at an intersection while waiting on a red light. This affords them the opportunity for a second attack, but this one comes silently. As they pass, a 32oz cup of soda (which was pretty full) lands on my left thigh and soaks me and my bike. My first reaction was "ah, that actually feels kind of nice," but then "ah, WTF?" when I turned around to see the 7-11 cup dancing in the gutter.

I hope the d-bag got thirsty right after that.

The license plate is all I know about these folks, so I knew it wasn't personal, and frankly, given that I'm on 29lbs of steel and they're in like 2900lbs of it, I didn't particularly feel like making it personal. But as I rode on, I got more and more steamed about it. I pulled off and called the local PD who told me, in effect, that there was little they could do. Compared to home invasions and drunk driving, I guess my hurt pride doesn't really register. Great.

Not that I'm interested in starting a rant thread, but is this the kind of crap I should get accustomed to if I want to keep riding? Or is this exceptionally d-bag? I can handle the brave commentary from motorists and their friends, but I'm not sure I've got the stones for routine projectiles.
Old 10-02-11, 12:42 PM
soccerpig70

Bikes: 2011 giant defy 1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
plenty of stuff yelled at me but as of yet nothing thrown, although i'm sure its coming. People are idiots plain and simple. Today on my ride suv nearly pancacked me into a concrete barrier . There was no reason at all for the driver to be there, he/she had two other lanes they could have slid into. Of course this was the only stretch on this particular road where there wasn't a dedicated bike lane, figures.
Old 10-02-11, 01:00 PM
hshearer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes, you had some very bad luck there. I've done about a thousand hours of riding over the last few years, and I have yet to have anything thrown at me. It's true that the police probably can't lay assault charges without a corroborating witness, but they could always have a talk with the driver. It's not too late to ask for more follow-up.

Harassment is pretty common, though, and I've experienced almost everything else... 95% of the time it's honks and 'advice', which I completely ignore and have come to find a little amusing. About 5% of the time it's an actual threatening gesture (buzzed, usually, deliberately bumped at a stop sign once), and I've gotten pretty good about getting plates and vehicle descriptions to report those to police. I just wish it was easier to get a look at the drivers (since vehicles don't get tickets, drivers do).
Old 10-02-11, 02:21 PM
HokuLoa
Blissketeer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, usually it is just the purposeful "too close" pass on an empty country road. Just enough to convey the message "I don't like or respect you" but not enough to warrant an incident report. :::sigh::::
Old 10-02-11, 02:28 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Not just assault, but battery as well. [first year law school pedantry off]

Yes, the PD should take a report. Yes, the guy is an exceptional ******bag. It happens, but it's not a common occurence.
Old 10-02-11, 03:04 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 1,249 Times in 712 Posts
You tell the officer you want to press charges for assault, then make them take a report. That's there job, and you file a complaint against them if they don't do it.
Old 10-02-11, 03:17 PM
ethman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you're in CA (which your profile says you are) then you're protected. Check this out: https://articles.latimes.com/2011/jul...e-law-20110721

I would definitely make a stink about this. People have got to learn to stop being d-bags.
Old 10-02-11, 03:25 PM
Makel

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 9, Specialized Transition, Specialized Fate, Specialized Crux

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
It's assault, it needs to be turned in, ask to speak with a supervisor. If they still won't do anything, file a complaint with their investigations unit in the morning.
Old 10-02-11, 04:35 PM
Seamless
Peddler

Bikes: Cannondale Road Warrior 800 & H400

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Not just assault, but battery as well. [first year law school pedantry off]
That's an important point (bonus mid-term quiz points!): it wasn't just a threat, but unconsented and offensive actual contact (thus both assault and battery). And they were criminal acts, not merely civil torts.

Police--even in CA--have an obligation to take reports of crime, to investigate, and only after to determine whether there is sufficient evidence to place charges. (Whenever it's politically convenient, of course, they mention having to allocate insufficient resources, but even that's irrelevant to allowing a crime to be reported.)
Old 10-02-11, 05:11 PM
DLP

Bikes: 1971 Schwinn Super Sport, 1990? Bottecchia Cromor, 2005 Quintana Roo Kilo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll pursue this as far as I can, which is likely not further than filing the report. Then I'll clean up the bike and get back to riding, though likely not in such highly-trafficked areas (Reseda and Nordhoff, for ethman, and anyone else familiar with Northridge). Glad to know this sort of thing should be considered the exception, not the rule.

Thanks for the encouragement, advice, and commiseration. If anything comes of it, I'll be sure to update those interested.
Old 10-02-11, 05:27 PM
pcfxer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CbadRider
I'm surprised the police didn't take a report, especially since you got the license plate. Hitting a cyclist with a thrown object should be considered assault.
It is assault. In fact, you should now get the name of the person who told you "nothing I can do." and get them to put that on paper...then go to your local lawyer and let them work their magic. Denying a response for a violent crime is not something to be taken lightly.

This time it was just soda...next time...
Old 10-02-11, 07:19 PM
ethman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DLP
I'll pursue this as far as I can, which is likely not further than filing the report. Then I'll clean up the bike and get back to riding, though likely not in such highly-trafficked areas (Reseda and Nordhoff, for ethman, and anyone else familiar with Northridge). Glad to know this sort of thing should be considered the exception, not the rule.

Thanks for the encouragement, advice, and commiseration. If anything comes of it, I'll be sure to update those interested.
Sorry to hear that happened in Northridge. Where were you when this took place? I generally try to stick to streets with lighter traffic. Doesn't always work in my favor. I was on Lindley one morning when some jack-ass drove by in a truck and tried to pick a fight with me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.