Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

A Clipless Fall!!! (warning long)

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-11, 08:20 AM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

I ride my vintage bike 98% of the time. Yesterday, I decided to ride a paved bike trail. So, I took the Litespeed Classic. It has clipless pedals. The trail ride was sweet. The Litespeed, just ****led up the miles. I did about 30 miles on the trail, and called it quits. I took the train back to the city. Now, I am in the city riding with these cleats, I go toward what I though was a smooth pavement up to the bike path, but it was a CURB. I got right up to it, saw where it was indeed a curb, I brake, now I am almost still, I go to move my feet to catch my balance. Can't move my feet, I am clipped in, and oh boy. I went down. My shoulder and my head hit the ground. BTW, I am thinking the whole time "my bike, my bike" . Anyway, I always wear a helmet, no damage there. My shoulder took the bang pretty well, and the Lite speed came out with a few scratches on the left brifter. Everything straight.

It was pretty comical after I hit the ground.. Because I always be kidding with that phrase of "I have fallen and I can't get up"... Well that was the case. After I fell, I fell to the left side, my left foot came up clipped from the fall, but my right foot is still clipped in. I can't get up because I can't twist my right foot to un clip it.

About a 30 seconds after the fall, a bunch of people come over asking me if I am hurt, I smiled and said no, but I can't get up because I am still clipped in. They lifted the bike up gently, and finally was able to unclip my right foot. The red light had stopped the traffic. I have 8 or 9 bikes, no sure, but only one has clipless pedals, the Litespeed. I learned a lot in that fall. In traffic, I will keep one foot unclipped.. If I had one foot unclipped, I would not have fallen.

Can't say enough about wearing my helmet. My head took a bounce off the concrete. Would have been a bad show without a helmet. I am a much wiser riding now too.
Old 11-09-11, 08:51 AM
Phil85207
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I guess the saying is true about use it or lose it. Not using the clip ins for a long time a person forgets about them. Just know that everyone that uses them has done just what you did at one time. Glad you were not hurt.
Old 11-09-11, 08:53 AM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Toe clips. No straps. A decent compromise.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 11-09-11, 09:06 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Welcome to Club Tombay. Glad you are okay.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 11-09-11, 09:27 AM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
One of the things I didn't like about clipless, all your bikes had to go clipless. I found rotating through clipless and non-clipless bikes screwed with your muscle memory, you ended up making the disengage motion on bikes with straps, and trying to back out of locked in pedals..beside the fact that your stroke became a little screwed returning to non-clipless. I wasn't willing to commit to one system for 8 bikes, ...but I'd didn't much like clipless anyway.
Old 11-09-11, 09:27 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Oops!!

And otherwise, how was your day, Mrs. Lincoln?

I am glad you are safe.

I am the world's most persistent unclipper.
Old 11-09-11, 10:52 AM
overthehillmedi

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Two things, firstly I foresee a new helmet in your close future and secondly were any of the helpers cute young things? Glad to hear both you and the bike escaped realitively okay.
Old 11-09-11, 11:12 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 456 Posts
Originally Posted by cehowardGS
In traffic, I will keep one foot unclipped.. If I had one foot unclipped, I would not have fallen.
Invalid assumption. If you were clipped in on one side only, that would be the side to which you would fall. With your unclipped foot flailing helplessly in the air.

Welcome to the club.
Old 11-09-11, 12:12 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by FrenchFit
One of the things I didn't like about clipless, all your bikes had to go clipless. I found rotating through clipless and non-clipless bikes screwed with your muscle memory,
This is my challenge right now with one of my bikes recently converted to fixed gear while the other 4 freewheel. Different muscle memory involved. I'm trying to rotate back and forth enough to develop a second set of muscle memory. We'll see if that's possible.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 11-09-11, 12:19 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I have one with clipless, a couple with older toe clips (which I keep loose, just to position the foot and provide a bit of lift on the upstroke if needed) and a couple platform. I have no problem with any of them nor rotating through them.
Old 11-09-11, 12:48 PM
fly7hotel
Cyclist CFI

Bikes: 2004 Specialized Roubaix Elite, 2016 Boardman SLR 9.8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by overthehillmedi
Two things, firstly I foresee a new helmet in your close future and secondly were any of the helpers cute young things? Glad to hear both you and the bike escaped realitively okay.
Second the idea of a new helmet. If you actually hit the helmet on the ground (sounds like you did) you may well have delaminated the fiberglass in the shell. Additionally, the foam will be deformed some. It won't protect as well as new. Hang it on the garage wall as a trophy
Old 11-09-11, 12:51 PM
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
I never fell so much as when I tried "clipless" last year. I am back to just riding platforms, my wife and my body appreciate the absence of drama. I might dig my old toe straps back out. FEET Belts never did hurt me.

The rest of your ride and commute sound like an excellent adventure.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 11-09-11, 01:06 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 845 Times in 440 Posts
I always considered "clipless" pedals to be a real improvement in safety over toe clips and straps. I think there has been an evolution from the way toe straps were used in the 70s when I was racing and how they are being used today. The way we used toe straps and clips there was no easy way to get your foot out of the pedal. If it did come out the strap was loose or you likely had other problems. If you crashed, the bike was going to stay with you. The only way to get your foot out was to bend over and release the straps. Try doing that in a hurry or with both feet at the same time! Clipless pedals offer a quick, smooth, consistent release; and can be adjusted with light enough tension to allow release during an accident. I also think they are more comfortable than a tight strap.

These cleats were nailed on the bottom of a cycling shoe, the slot fit over the back cage of the pedal. Once the strap was tightened, your foot was not coming out, at least not very easily!

Last edited by Doug64; 11-09-11 at 01:15 PM.
Old 11-09-11, 01:06 PM
teachme

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Glad your not hurt... I think I'll stick with the clips, and loose straps!
Old 11-09-11, 01:15 PM
oldster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 on the toe clips(with the straps loose enough to get out easy)
Bud,
Old 11-09-11, 01:51 PM
bigbadwullf

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Clipless all the way. Hate straps. Nasty. One thing that might have helped(not sure by the description you gave, but bunny-hopping might have helped...?
Old 11-09-11, 02:52 PM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil85207
I guess the saying is true about use it or lose it. Not using the clip ins for a long time a person forgets about them. Just know that everyone that uses them has done just what you did at one time. Glad you were not hurt.
Agreed, riding more with clipless would have put me in cue. I am about to make one of my vintage bikes clipless, and start riding them more. I am glad too that I wasn't hurt!!
Old 11-09-11, 02:54 PM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Doohickie
Toe clips. No straps. A decent compromise.
I am okay with the toe clips. I have them tight enough to where I can slip my foot out when I want to. No problem with toe clips what so ever.
Old 11-09-11, 02:57 PM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
Welcome to Club Tombay. Glad you are okay.

Bill
That is a where feeling for a split second. Knowing I am going to fall and can't do anything!!

I guess we have many members in this club too..
Old 11-09-11, 03:00 PM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by FrenchFit
One of the things I didn't like about clipless, all your bikes had to go clipless. I found rotating through clipless and non-clipless bikes screwed with your muscle memory, you ended up making the disengage motion on bikes with straps, and trying to back out of locked in pedals..beside the fact that your stroke became a little screwed returning to non-clipless. I wasn't willing to commit to one system for 8 bikes, ...but I'd didn't much like clipless anyway.
We in the same boat, and since I love to commute on my bikes, I am not going all clipless. I will make two more of my bikes clipless and TRY to keep myself in tune to what I am riding.
Old 11-09-11, 03:06 PM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Oops!!

And otherwise, how was your day, Mrs. Lincoln?

I am glad you are safe.

I am the world's most persistent unclipper.
Other than the fall, I had a SUPER DAY. This was the SECOND time I have been on a trail. The first time was the day before. I told my Centurion Ironman Master that first day. The Master has toe clips. The paved trail was sweet, and the Master was moving sweetly. The next day I want to see what the Litespeed could do on the trail. Got to tell you, the Litespeed is the chit!! It hits the scale at a mere 17 lbs. It has a lower and higher gear than anything in my stable. It just screamed through the trail. All I heard was a whine of the wheels slicing through the air. That was my second trail ride, I am hooked..
Old 11-09-11, 03:19 PM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by overthehillmedi
They were all men, but the women were looking!! I guess I am full fledged bike nut now, anytime one worries about the bike before themselves, gotta be a bike nut!! Yeah, I was lucky, and the bike too. I damage anything on that Litespeed, and I am talking $$$... It is full Ultegra with Mavic Krysyn wheels..

I have 6 helmets, this one gets trashed.
Old 11-09-11, 03:25 PM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug64
I always considered "clipless" pedals to be a real improvement in safety over toe clips and straps. I think there has been an evolution from the way toe straps were used in the 70s when I was racing and how they are being used today. The way we used toe straps and clips there was no easy way to get your foot out of the pedal. If it did come out the strap was loose or you likely had other problems. If you crashed, the bike was going to stay with you. The only way to get your foot out was to bend over and release the straps. Try doing that in a hurry or with both feet at the same time! Clipless pedals offer a quick, smooth, consistent release; and can be adjusted with light enough tension to allow release during an accident. I also think they are more comfortable than a tight strap.

These cleats were nailed on the bottom of a cycling shoe, the slot fit over the back cage of the pedal. Once the strap was tightened, your foot was not coming out, at least not very easily!

Good points, might look into getting the cleats/pedals to release more easily.
Old 11-09-11, 03:33 PM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bigbadwullf
Clipless all the way. Hate straps. Nasty. One thing that might have helped(not sure by the description you gave, but bunny-hopping might have helped...?
If I rode clipless all the time, I am almost sure I would have avoided that fall.

Originally Posted by oldster
+1 on the toe clips(with the straps loose enough to get out easy)
Bud,
I got 9 bikes, the Litespeed is the only one that has clipless pedals. All the other bikes got toe clips/straps. I have no problems gettign in and out quickly with them..Going to ride clipless more, and put clipless pedals on two more bikes. As I said in my opening post, I am a much wiser rider now!!

Originally Posted by teachme
Glad your not hurt... I think I'll stick with the clips, and loose straps!
I am going to go both ways from now on. Clipless and toe clips/straps..
Old 11-09-11, 03:43 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 3617 Post(s)
Liked 3,449 Times in 1,958 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug64

Some of us still use those.

If you're using slotted cleats, you don't need to pull the straps as tightly as you would with plain soles to get good foot retention. Both my fixed gear bikes are set up for slotted cleats. Once you're accustomed to them they really aren't harder to manage than clipless.

Last edited by JohnDThompson; 11-09-11 at 03:47 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.