Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Baby its cold outside...

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-11, 04:30 PM
magohn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Baby its cold outside...

Just got back from a 25+ mile ride to Redmond and back and boy is it cold. Barely creeping above freezing (35 deg) but a lovely blue sky. I had fun dodging the patches of ice that lurk within the shadows and enjoyed the luxury of numb legs (because of cold) on the hills. Midway, I stopped off at Redmond REI and mingled with the "in-crowd" who were bundled up better than I as they walked from their heated cars into the temperature-controlled store. All wearing the latest North Face attire as they browse the $300 ski-sunglasses. On a Saturday afternoon, I was the only person in the store actually wearing outdoor clothing that was being used for its purpose - exercising in the outdoors. I shopped around but nothing caught my eye and left the store to brave the frozen tundra.

I take pride in still riding through the cold at this time of year and cant help but smirk at the disappearance of the "boys of summer" as I now have the bike lane to myself for the ride home.

The Trek Fx ran like a dream and never missed a beat and as I saw the lights of home my Garmin informed me that I have now officially ridden more miles this year than I did last year and with 1.5 months left to go in the year .

It was a great ride! How about you?

Last edited by magohn; 11-19-11 at 04:34 PM.
Old 11-19-11, 04:46 PM
green427

Bikes: GT Fitness series, IBEX Vantage 5500, Raleigh M-80

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
30°F when we started this morning for our 30 mile ride with moderate winds. We did not strip down until it hit 45°F. 3 layers of pants and 3 layers of shirts plus a jacket seemed to keep me just right.

Old 11-19-11, 05:58 PM
jlp1976

Bikes: 2011 CAAD 10

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Definetely bitter out there. I went out this morning near Tacoma (JBLM) and it was about the same temp. I was doing good for a while but then my toes went numb. I dont have shoe covers. I only made it 28 miles before calling it quits. Still feeling the chill in my bones.
Old 11-19-11, 06:33 PM
Pistard

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah, went out Upstate NY this AM 40 some degrees, I was one layer short, kinda took my breath away by the time I got back home, just layed on the bed with a towel around my head recuperating.... will do it again tomorrow!
Old 11-19-11, 11:24 PM
cyclokitty 
Not safe for work

Bikes: KHS Town and Country 100 & Jamis Durango Femme 1.0

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
It was chilly today at about 10 Celsius but that was actually pretty comfortable riding weather. But a few days ago it was a colder 4 degrees Celsius and it reminded me what cold begins to feel like around here in the winter. My toes were so cold! My new hiking shoes are waterproof but definitely not cold proof even with merino wool socks. My hands were fine encased in fleece and a windproof outer gloves and I was very grateful for the ear warmth provided by my ski helmet. But it's barely the beginning of winter so I'm glad I still have heavy duty cold gear ready, willing and able to let me survive to spring.
Old 11-19-11, 11:53 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
I rode to work yesterday, had to wear some clothes; the temp was about 40. This evening... just got back from a 20 miler on the FG riding shorts again, it's still over 70. Weird, weird weather.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 11-20-11, 05:37 AM
chefisaac

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Best stuff I ever used:

"I normally don’t endorse anything (except Giant Bikes) but I too was one of those people who could have easily turned down winter rides until a friend turned me onto Under Armour. Here is my thoughts:

Under Armour Compression Leggings: This was the first time I used these and they were great. Kept my legs warm while wicking away the sweat. You will feel cold with these… they are not wind proof but they do keep you warm. https://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/en/pid1221714-001

Under Armour Long Sleeve Crew Shirt: This is the first piece I ever bought from UA and it works wonders. Keeps your core warm which helps performance (at least for me). Wicks away sweat and helps to keep some cold air out too. https://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/en/pid1004604-001

Head Gear: I needed something to keep my bald head, ears, mouth and sometimes nose warm so this is what I bought on Friday. I will tell ya…. It’s worth its weight in gold. I wore it for 20 miles of the ride. Took it off for the last 8 miles and my head was cold. This face protection gives you a lot of options as far as what you want to protect. https://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/en/pid1223223-001 (and I always thought these were only for ninjas and for people who break into buildings….who knew!)

\Wool Glove Liners: I do not own a pair of these yet but Jim B let me borrow his. Freaking great. Kept my hands warm. The problem is that I had to give them back to him at the end of the ride. I think I am screwed for tomorrow!"