Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Saddle fit / sit bone issues

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-12, 07:37 AM
roadrider63

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been trying out a couple of Specialized saddles over the last couple weeks. Not the best time with the weather but I just got the itch.

First tried the 130 mm toupe. Did this because the saddle that came on my Scott was 130mm and flat. Felt ok but was having numbness issues. The toupe got rid of the numbness issues but didn't seem to support my sit bones.

I had been measured for a 143mm saddle, so I returned the 130 and got a 143 test saddle. I could definately feel my sit bones on the saddle which i think is a good thing. It felt pretty good but when I returned the test saddle, they didn't have any 143 toupe experts in stock.

At this point I ask if it would be ok to take a 143 romin home (you have 30 days and can exchange saddles if it comes back looking as it left) and they said that would be fine. I have to say at this point I'm having trouble deciding which I prefer between the two. They are both nice except for one thing that I have noticed with most saddles I've ridden/tried.

I get more soreness on my left sit bone than my right. Could this be a fit issue such as leg length difference, not sitting square on the saddle, etc. I was planning on going through a retul fit closer to spring but I may have to do that sooner if it's something that may help with this situation. Any input would be appreciated.
Old 02-06-12, 08:44 AM
AndyK 

Bikes: '11 TIME NXR Instinct, '03 De Rosa Planet '79 Paris Sport (Moulton)

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
I bet it's a leg length difference. I had a similar problem, feeling uncomfortable mostly on the right side. Turns out my right leg is the shorter of the two. After I got a Specialized shim installed, I feel much more balanced on the saddle.

Old 02-06-12, 01:46 PM
roadrider63

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
78 views and one reply...thank you Andy. Maybe I should have just got to the point and ask the question about the sit bone pain....lol
Old 02-06-12, 02:22 PM
eippo1
I like beans

Bikes: Tarmac Pro, Bianchi Zurigo, Raleigh Gran Sport, Fuji Del Rey, Ironman Centurion

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It depends. I loved the feel of the Toupe, but the flare on the sides rubbed my thighs, so no go. I tried the Romin from there and actually had a ligament that snapped back and forth across the saddle because I have no "meat" on my ass. I have since gone to accept that I will always need something with a bit of padding like the Terry SLX, which is like a narrower version of the Toupe, but with a bit more padding. I'm currently attempting to break in a Brooks on my vintage bike and I'll let you know how that goes.
Another you could try if the Romin doesn't work is the Arione Versus or that Terry that I mentioned or even the Selle Italia FLX - all similar with a bit more padding. Actually, the Selle Italia might be too narrow for you, so nevermind that one.
Old 02-06-12, 02:45 PM
AndyK 

Padding is one thing, but feeling more pain on one side means something isn't even, IMHO of course.

Old 02-06-12, 03:03 PM
thump55
I got 99 problems....

Location: Does anyone know where the love of God goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by roadrider63
78 views and one reply...thank you Andy. Maybe I should have just got to the point and ask the question about the sit bone pain....lol
Lots of us have had saddle/sit bone issues, just maybe not your "uneven" problem.

The shim makes sense, you also may try turning the saddle slightly. Mine has a small, but noticeable amount of turn to it.
Old 02-06-12, 03:08 PM
noise boy

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 300 Posts
I am not sure that they still make it, but you might try the Phenom, comes in all 3 widths, I find mine very comfortable.
Old 02-06-12, 06:04 PM
Fiery

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by thump55
Lots of us have had saddle/sit bone issues, just maybe not your "uneven" problem.

The shim makes sense, you also may try turning the saddle slightly. Mine has a small, but noticeable amount of turn to it.
I've seen a few fitters recommend this, it should be worth a shot. James Cobb seems to consider it an integral part of saddle fitting, just like saddle height and tilt.
Old 02-06-12, 06:44 PM
roadrider63

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone. I also thought about angling the saddle a bit. Not sure which way to go really. I guess some trial and error would have to do for this. Just about to jump on the trainer so I'll see how that goes. Nothing like the road but it's about all I can do on weeknights.
Old 02-06-12, 06:51 PM
AndyK 

If you are uncomfortable on the left side, I am guessing that your left leg is shorter, so, turn the saddle clockwise a hair, which will raise the left side (right?)

Old 02-07-12, 08:07 AM
roadrider63

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not sure which way to turn it. After a trainer session last night, I'm wondering if the Romin curves down too much so that the width I need for support is the part that is sloping down. make sense. Still, I've noticed the left side sit bone taking more punishment so to speak with all the saddles I've tried.

I know several years ago when I had a bg fit done, the person doing the fit kept measuring with goniometer for leg angle and couldn't get them equal. He then did some sort of leg raise/lowering thing and thought that I had about a 5mm shorter left leg in the tibia area. I also know that the only true way to find this out is through exray or something.

Anyhow, at the time it didn't seem too crucial to him and I was also on mtn bike shoes/pedals. He didn't mention anything about insole shims either. Well, now I have better shoes and pedals so I'm leaning towards a retul fit to see what they have to say. I've been putting it off since last fall so now I guess I'll just give it a try. I spoke to a local racer that had it done and he had nothing but praise for it.

Appreciate everyones help. I'll keep ya posted on anything I find out.
Old 02-07-12, 10:06 AM
Ultraslide

Bikes: 73 Raleigh Supercourse, 99 Specialized Stumpjumer, 08 LeMond Tourmalet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your pelvis isn't prefectly symetrical so it's fairly common to twist the saddle to one side or the other by a couple mm to accomidate asymetrical sit bones. To be frank, I had the exact same problem on a 143 Romin.The Romin required me to keep my pelvis rotated to the extreme and was the most painful saddle I've ever ridden (YMMV!). I am now on a Fizik Antares and loving life. One thing I did like about the Romin was the way it held the pelvis while deep in the drops. I might consider a Cromo (more padding) version for a TT bike. So I'd probably go with the Toupe if only because it's a flatter saddle and *I* seem to be more comforatable on them.
Old 02-07-12, 11:20 AM
zigmeister

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Well, since you liked a flatter seat, then stick with the Toupe. The Romin series is very rounded/curved. I could never get used to it after several hundred miles. Went to a flatter profile seat, a Selle Italia Gel Flow actually, which is similar to the Toupe line, and so far so good.