Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

I was bad ...

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-12, 12:48 PM
Mr Sinister
Am I evil? I am Man!!!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was bad ...

... and ate everything I could find, that wasn't nailed down.

I broke down last night, and couldn't stop eating....For some reason I was hungry almost all the time last night. I know it wasn't from thirst, as I drank between a half gallon to a gallon of water (well crystal light sugarless) in about the same time frame.

Things I had for dinner/snacking....

2 small burgers (3.4 oz total weight) Half a pita pocket (60 cals)

4 potato pancakes... LARGE

2/3rds of a box of Cheez-It 13.7 oz box

1 Fiber One Bar

1 JUMBO fudge stick

Granted I did do a 3 mile run yesterday, but no way in HELL does that make up for all that eating last night.

Have any of you had slips like this before?

Last edited by Mr Sinister; 02-09-12 at 12:57 PM.
Old 02-09-12, 12:55 PM
NCbiker

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Noooooo, you're the only one!
Old 02-09-12, 12:57 PM
funrover 

Bikes: Mostly schwinn... few classics

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Been there before, I still struggle not to myself. I have been getting better however!
Old 02-09-12, 12:57 PM
phlydude

Bikes: none

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
eat more protein...you won't feel as hungry - if you are going to graze, get some cheese, greek yougurt, peanut butter, hummus (with veggies), etc.
Better protein intake curbs cravings - the carb loading just makes you want to eat more and more!
Old 02-09-12, 01:01 PM
jethro56 
Watching and waiting.

Bikes: Trek 7300 Trek Madone 4.5 Surly Cross Check

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I tried to go back to my 1800 C/day diet after Thansgiving and would do well for 3 days and then blow it (cheesecake). After New Years I decided to try a 2500 C/day approach and it's working well. Some evenings I don't feel like even eating that much but I go ahead and eat something. I think if I don't eat that last 600C now, in a few days I'll eat way too much.
Old 02-09-12, 01:41 PM
Mr Sinister
Am I evil? I am Man!!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jethro56
I tried to go back to my 1800 C/day diet after Thansgiving and would do well for 3 days and then blow it (cheesecake). After New Years I decided to try a 2500 C/day approach and it's working well. Some evenings I don't feel like even eating that much but I go ahead and eat something. I think if I don't eat that last 600C now, in a few days I'll eat way too much.
I think that might be my problem. I'm trying a 1500 C/day diet, and about every so often I blow it. This was about the worst one yet.

Daily food...

Bagel thin (100c), fruit smoothie w/protein (200c)
Small salad w/can tuna about (380c)
piece of chicken, small veggie and pearl barley (about 500c) can have fish too instead of the chicken.

Snacks either 1 or 2 protein bars (190c each) or 3 fiber one bars (90c each)

About 1560c if I use the protein bars
About 1470c if its the fiber one bars

Maybe I should up it about 200-400 cals a day.
Old 02-09-12, 01:58 PM
goldfinch

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
For most men 1500 calories a day is pretty darn low. The general rule of thumb for men is a minimum of 1800 a day (keeping in mind that different people will have different needs). How much do you weigh?
Old 02-09-12, 02:05 PM
lawrencehare

Bikes: Campagnolo Mondia, Moulton TSR8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A nightmare, such a challenge. I cook, love cooking, and typically by the time I serve dinner - I've already eaten one. And of course one must have a glass of wine when cooking, or two, or so. Sigh.
Old 02-09-12, 02:07 PM
psalm
A square going nowhere

Bikes: CAAD 8 & CAAD 10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does a full bag of Ruffles and some BBQ sauce count? Because if it doesn't then no.
Old 02-09-12, 02:11 PM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by phlydude
eat more protein...you won't feel as hungry - if you are going to graze, get some cheese, greek yougurt, peanut butter, hummus (with veggies), etc.
Better protein intake curbs cravings - the carb loading just makes you want to eat more and more!
It's funny... I am discovering this is true. My little Cafe in the basement at work closed up. I used to get fresh salads and soups. Now we have a service - Lori's Kitchen coming in... I have been buying their high protein lunches - today - carrot sticks, an egg, some chicken salad, cucumber and cheese. It's amazing how full I remain all day. I'm not even hungry when i get home.

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 02-09-12, 02:14 PM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mr Sinister
I think that might be my problem. I'm trying a 1500 C/day diet, and about every so often I blow it. This was about the worst one yet.

Daily food...

Bagel thin (100c), fruit smoothie w/protein (200c)
Small salad w/can tuna about (380c)
piece of chicken, small veggie and pearl barley (about 500c) can have fish too instead of the chicken.

Snacks either 1 or 2 protein bars (190c each) or 3 fiber one bars (90c each)

About 1560c if I use the protein bars
About 1470c if its the fiber one bars

Maybe I should up it about 200-400 cals a day.
I assume you are not on a supervised diet because your calorie count is way too low especially if you are exercising, young, male etc. 1500 is usually what young, small females with medical conditions are on. I am not an expert but I think 2200 is probably more reasonable. No wonder you have binges...

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 02-09-12, 02:31 PM
gforeman 

Bikes: Specialized Crux Elite X1, Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert, Specialized Crux Disc

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have one of these scheduled for tomorrow

2019 Specialized Crux Elite X1
2015 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert
My bike page: https://www.gwfweb.com/bicycles
Build a bike stand! https://www.gwfweb.com/bicycles/stands.html
Old 02-09-12, 02:40 PM
Sayre Kulp 
Bulky Bullet

Bikes: Burley Koosah / RANS Zenetik Pro / Catrike Expedition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One mistake does not a failure make. You know what you did. Lamenting on it does nothing. Forget about it and get back to business.
Old 02-09-12, 02:48 PM
Tractortom
recumbent bike advocate

Bikes: Bacchetta Belladare, long wheelbase

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
January 2 I started with Physicians Weight Loss Center here in Okeechobee. They are mostly tailored for women, tho' some men join. There diet is 1000 calories a day, for sixteen weeks. I wanted to lose 60 lbs in that period of time, and started at 267lbs. The first four weeks I lost 19 lbs., but I DID BINGE from time to time. You can only eat so much skinless/boneless chicken before your head explodes and you head for the twinkies! I found myself (especially when the wife is not home) eating in the evening after work sometimes for an hour before I would get filled up! I'm commuting my bike these days, a 17 mile round trip, and I burn some calories. After four weeks on the diet, and losing 19 lbs, I took a long weekend at Disney World in Orlando with my wife, sister, her husband, my son and his girlfriend. Now I need to weigh in tomorrow after work, and feel that I have probably gone backwards a ways. I ate and drank and had a great time, and walked about six miles a day in the parks, but feel sure I have gained some weight back. Along with that, I find it VERY HARD to get back on the diet plan this week!!! I have been trying to eat whats in the plan, but some nights find myself snacking on pretzel thins and laughing cow cheese and diet soda.

All that said, if you binge one day, start off on the diet the next day. It's kind of like they taught us at AA, one day at a time. Don't look at how many days you can stay on the plan, just look at today, and let tomorrow take care of itself. Forget about yesterday, you can't go back and fix it.

I feel your pain, my brother....

Tractor Tom in Okeechobee, FL
Old 02-09-12, 02:50 PM
Mr Sinister
Am I evil? I am Man!!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by goldfinch
For most men 1500 calories a day is pretty darn low. The general rule of thumb for men is a minimum of 1800 a day (keeping in mind that different people will have different needs). How much do you weigh?
I weigh 228 pounds and stand 6'1" (or just under). And by the rules, I can have up to 10 times my eight in cals. NO way in hell do I want 2280 cals a day (I know that is to maintain my current).No way will I do 1800 cals a day. That to me is a little high for me.

Also what people forget is that everyone is different. So what works for 1 might not work for another. One person MIGHT be able to get away with 1500 cals, while another person of the same weigth can not.

***EDIT

I might now be in the second half of the 1500 cal intake that I just posted. I will find out in a few days.

Last edited by Mr Sinister; 02-09-12 at 02:53 PM.
Old 02-09-12, 07:47 PM
Axiom
Fat Cyclist

Bikes: '11 Cannondale SuperSix Dura-Ace

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah, I am 18 and I am hungry allllllllllllll the time, which sucks because I am trying to lose weight.
Old 02-09-12, 07:53 PM
tergal

Bikes: Trek 4300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Axiom
Yeah, I am 18 and I am hungry allllllllllllll the time, which sucks because I am trying to lose weight.
Apples buy lots of apples... when ever i am hungry i eat a apple . The fun starts when i am lazy and can't be bothered Cutting the apple (the only way i will eat it) so then is a race between hungry and lazy.
Old 02-09-12, 08:42 PM
magohn

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your in good company. Must be a wednesday night "thing". I ate 3 chocolate "Taxis" and a handful of M&Ms. That was after being 'good' and only having soup for dinner. The craving was just too much

I made up for it tonight by adding a few guilt miles to my post-work, local ride.

Interesting about the protein - can anyone suggest protein items that can be kept in the fridge to curb those chocolate pangs? Something easy and 'already cooked' is preferable.
Old 02-09-12, 10:13 PM
Axiom
Fat Cyclist

Bikes: '11 Cannondale SuperSix Dura-Ace

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by magohn
Your in good company. Must be a wednesday night "thing". I ate 3 chocolate "Taxis" and a handful of M&Ms. That was after being 'good' and only having soup for dinner. The craving was just too much

I made up for it tonight by adding a few guilt miles to my post-work, local ride.

Interesting about the protein - can anyone suggest protein items that can be kept in the fridge to curb those chocolate pangs? Something easy and 'already cooked' is preferable.
Uhm, this might not count but buy a 2Lb container of optimum whey double rich chocolate protein. Take that with water, or use a blender to make a quick smoothie. 25G of protein per scoop.
Old 02-09-12, 11:59 PM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by magohn

Hardboiled eggs? Chunks of chicken or turkey? Cheese cubes or sticks?

Old 02-10-12, 06:18 AM
goldfinch

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I second the hardboiled eggs, they are a great protein source, low calories and low fat. I also like cheese even though the fat is high. Frankly, I like the stinkiest most powerful cheese you can find. Right now I have a chunk of Limburger in the fridge. An ounce is only 90 calories and an ounce goes a long way. Half an ounce usually does it for me.

I use the chocolate protein powder in milk as a post exercise treat.

If I just have to have something sweet I might have fruit. Blueberries are my favorite and I put fake sugar on them to sweeten them up even more. An apple or half a banana with a few walnuts is good. When it is hot I make a lot of smoothies, again with fake sugar. Some find, however, that the high intake of fruit is tough on the blood sugar. I am finding it ok as long as it is fruit, not fruit juice, and as long as there is no added sugar.
Old 02-10-12, 06:33 AM
goldfinch

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Sinister
I weigh 228 pounds and stand 6'1" (or just under). And by the rules, I can have up to 10 times my eight in cals. NO way in hell do I want 2280 cals a day (I know that is to maintain my current).No way will I do 1800 cals a day. That to me is a little high for me.
Why are you so sure 1800 is too much for you? Do you know your resting metabolic rate? I know that it varies among people, and your body fat percentage is going to effect it, but at your size your resting metabolic rate, without moving your body at all, is most likely greater than 1800. Odds are at 2280 calories you should lose weight if you are even lightly active. I am not posting to argue about your calorie needs, but there is a tendency for people to want to cut those calories too low and then run the risk of going into starvation mode, with their body doing all it can to concerve energy. I would place a pretty large bet that at your height and weight 1500 is way too low and may have contributed to the desire to binge. You were starving.

Last edited by goldfinch; 02-10-12 at 06:36 AM.
Old 02-10-12, 08:13 AM
youcoming

Bikes: ParleeZ5/Parlee Chebacco/Trek Farley/Cannondale Slice/Burley Tandem

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Yep yesterday was my one sons 14th BD and we went out for wings, I had 18 wings an order of fries and a large 7up followed by icecream.
Old 02-10-12, 08:14 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1355 Post(s)
Liked 1,251 Times in 627 Posts
Originally Posted by youcoming
Yep yesterday was my one sons 14th BD and we went out for wings, I had 18 wings an order of fries and a large 7up followed by icecream.
That is Bad Bad Bad..

Old 02-10-12, 08:19 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
When I was 400 pounds I set myself a rigid 2K calorie diet. That didn't last long; by midday I was licking my desktop. Once I increased to 2.5K a day, I felt better. I think you aren't eating enough.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.