Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

New to Mountain biking

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

New to Mountain biking

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-12, 01:30 PM
Jon_Ide2316
Newbie to Mountain Biking

Bikes: 2011 Giant Revel 0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New to Mountain biking

Ok, so I will be getting my first ever mountain bike. I am very excited and can not wait to start on some local trails. My questions is about helmet selection. As I am new to the sport, I will be falling down, ALOT. I was thinking about getting a full face helmet. My main concern is people thinking I look like an idiot. The trails around my area are in no way black-diamond level. They can be technical, with lots of big rocks and steep descents. Any thoughts for the nube?
Old 03-05-12, 01:50 PM
papaish

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First off, welcome to the best sport in the world. When I got back into mountain biking I started of with a nice light weight helmet for Giro. Did not want nothing to heavy or cumbersome that would limit what little ability I had, I would recommend the same for you. I have only fallen twice in the 500 miles I have been back in the saddle, and none of them was a head shot. Light weight, breathable and fairly inexpensive is what you should be looking for. Giro Rift, Giro Phase Mountain Helmet, Bell Influx Mountain Helmet, any of those are great for beginners. Besides, give yourself more credit, you have not even been on the bike and your already talking about crashing, confidence is key. Ride what you feel comfortable with not what you see others doing. Enjoy.
Old 03-05-12, 03:28 PM
ed 

Bikes: Hecklah

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I wouldn't worry about using a full face helmet. Chances are...if you're born for mountain biking, you're so ugly that it wouldn't matter much if you faceplant.

I've gotten some really good deals on Bell Influx helmets. (like $13) It's my "trail" helmet of choice. Using a skate lid for FR / Urban. Take your time and don't bite off more than you can chew.

Welcome to MTB'ing.
Old 03-05-12, 04:19 PM
pablosnazzy

Bikes: rocky mountain SLAYER!!!! trek, voodoo, surly, spot, bianchi, ibis

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
why are you planning on falling down a lot? i would plan on riding a lot and having fun...you don't need a full face helmet unless you REALLY want one.

the rather funny thing is, you are such a noob you spelled it nube.

anyway, don't sweat it and have a good time. walk whatever you need to until you are confident and skilled enough to try riding it. it's supposed to be fun, don't forget that.
Old 03-05-12, 04:23 PM
Jon_Ide2316

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Aww but falling down is fun from what I remember... Yuk Yuk Yuk Anyway thanks for the tips guys.
Old 03-05-12, 04:58 PM
SlimRider
Banned

Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You should be careful about alienating other MTN bikers with that Darth Vader look!
Old 03-05-12, 05:16 PM
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
I've busted up two Bell helmets in the past three years. (17 years of no busting, I guess I am losing it) Neither helmet had a face guard and no fall has ever done more than scrape up a chin. THAT said, if a full face give you more confidence, get one. The downhill community swears by them for good reason.

I'm personally more worried about banging up my knees and elbows myself.

Welcome to a great way to sweat, swear and get knarled up. You have to post picture of your bike and trails or we tend to think you are trolling from the wanna be world.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.

Last edited by Daspydyr; 03-05-12 at 06:07 PM.
Old 03-06-12, 12:59 AM
ShimmerFade

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are you riding at Turkey Mt? It is a nice little trail complex. I've only ridden there for a couple of weeks in total (enough to have covered the majority of trails), and from my experience a full face is overkill for all except maybe one way down that I've seen that even the best riders with a full on DH bike would be hard pressed to get down (it is an area not really meant to be ridden, no real line to get down..trials riding might get it done if you were pretty good). In this case you just pick up the bike and hike it up or down, or just keep following the trail. I've found at Turkey Mt. that pedal and line awareness are pretty key if you don't want to get off the bike.

Anyways, have fun, and take your time in developing your skills. There is no shame in walking a little bit to keep yourself in one piece for the next ride!

Last edited by ShimmerFade; 03-06-12 at 01:03 AM.
Old 03-06-12, 06:57 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Jon_Ide2316
s I am new to the sport, I will be falling down, ALOT. I was thinking about getting a full face helmet.
Get the helmet you feel you need.

And think more positively. There is no need to be falling a lot. Keep close to your comfort zone and ease your way into the technical terrain. Some riders over-glorify falling on these forums. Don't get sucked into thinking you must point your bike down some trail you're not yet comfortable with. Ride. Enjoy. The technical skills will come in their own time.
Old 03-06-12, 08:37 AM
Jon_Ide2316

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, I will be riding Turkey Mnt primarily. I have hiked through there for almost two years now so I am pretty familiar with most of the trails. I think I might even know which section you are speaking of.

I will definitely post some pictures. A guy from work, as well as a fraternity borther fromback in my college days are also getting first time mountain bikes. So I will have some others to share the experience.

Again, I appreciate all the input. I will keep in mind.
Old 03-06-12, 11:56 AM
ShimmerFade

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool man! Mountain biking rocks, and Turkey Mt is surprisingly decent. I forgot to say that there are also quite a few thorns that like stick in the tires (primarily to the north if I remember right)..I would recommend going tubeless if you think you will be up there often. It saves a lot of the hassle of having to patch a tube nearly every time you get home. If you don't want to do tubeless yet then be sure to take a mini pump and extra tube in case you need it. I got lucky by only ever having slow leaks, and was able to ride all the way back across the river to around 31st every time. I had to patch my tubes more than every other ride though.
Old 03-06-12, 12:17 PM
Daspydyr 

Yes, I will be riding Turkey Mnt primarily. I have hiked through there for almost two years now so I am pretty familiar with most of the trails. I think I might even know which section you are speaking of.

I will definitely post some pictures. A guy from work, as well as a fraternity borther fromback in my college days are also getting first time mountain bikes. So I will have some others to share the experience.

Again, I appreciate all the input. I will keep in mind.
Virgins, wrecked for the very first time, Like a virrrr-gin! There will be blood on the trail. hahahahahahahha!

Old 03-06-12, 01:25 PM
pablosnazzy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
..... My main concern is people thinking I look like an idiot. ...
F what people think. the really really good riders, the people who are better riders than 90% of people with bikes, don't care what you look like. they know looks have nothing to do with it.
Old 03-06-12, 04:55 PM
Jon_Ide2316

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pablosnazzy
F what people think. the really really good riders, the people who are better riders than 90% of people with bikes, don't care what you look like. they know looks have nothing to do with it.
Good point. If I woind up getting a full face, I'll make sure I get a shiny black one. My almost 3 year old is in love with star wars, so I can pretend to be darth vader when we sword fight. So win win all around...
Old 03-06-12, 06:17 PM
pablosnazzy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good point. If I woind up getting a full face, I'll make sure I get a shiny black one. My almost 3 year old is in love with star wars, so I can pretend to be darth vader when we sword fight. So win win all around...
i've been trying to figure out how to make a boba fett full face helmet. that would soooo rule...i would wear it on my road bike....
Old 03-06-12, 07:40 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 28 Posts
When I first got into mountain biking I bought an inexpensive helmet from a big box store. Many years and falls later, and after I learned more about helmets, I still wear an inexpensive Bell helmet.
No full faced, To be honest, I think I've only seen one full faced helmet on the local trails. But almost everyone wears a helmet.
Old 03-07-12, 01:15 AM
ShimmerFade

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Keep in mind how hot and humid it gets in Tulsa. A full face in summer may end up doing more damage by causing the engine to overheat . If you can afford two helmets you could get both to try out.
Old 03-07-12, 10:20 AM
Jon_Ide2316

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ShimmerFade
Keep in mind how hot and humid it gets in Tulsa. A full face in summer may end up doing more damage by causing the engine to overheat . If you can afford two helmets you could get both to try out.
Very good point regarding the heat here in Tulsa. I can be a beast!! I already have a normal helmet. I think I may get the full faced to have as a second option.

Side note: Got my tax return in this morning. I will be going right after to work to pick it up. Very excited as its something I have wanted to do for quite sometime. I will make sure to get updates and pictures on the forum.
Old 03-08-12, 12:32 AM
commo_soulja

Bikes: are fun to ride

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
New
Old 03-08-12, 12:13 PM
Daspydyr 

TAX Return-you lucky dog!

Old 03-08-12, 04:42 PM
cryptid01
one less horse

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pablosnazzy
Mostly true. There was that one guy on here who wanted to wear a hockey helmet with a wire face cage though...
Old 03-08-12, 04:49 PM
Jon_Ide2316

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did see a sweet knight's helmet at the Ren fair last year. Now If I can only find chain mail to fit my rotund figure.
Old 03-08-12, 10:14 PM
samburger
Redheaded Stepchild

Bikes: A fat tire & a skinny tire & two others I loaned out

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've seen some pretty crazy helmet designs on motorcycle helmets (Darth Vader, Boba Fett, Chewbacca [with fur-covered full leathers!!], Shrek, Power Rangers...all kinds), but haven't seen much on full face MTB/MX helmets.
Old 03-09-12, 01:00 AM
ncw

Bikes: Giant Revel 1, Giant Trance X1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use both, depending on the weather and where I'm riding. I don't really need a full face but I've always wanted one for whatever reason. When I got into mountain biking I finally had a reason to get one, so I did. My excuse to myself was that it's better safe than sorry (read some stories on these forums) and it's good for cooler weather.
Old 03-09-12, 06:03 AM
Franklin77
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have only fallen twice in the 500 miles I have been back in the saddle, and none of them was a head shot. Light weight, breathable and fairly inexpensive is what you should be looking for. Giro Rift, Giro Phase Mountain Helmet, Bell Influx Mountain Helmet, any of those are great for beginners

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.