Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Have not ridden in 14 years what to get?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-12, 09:03 PM
chowda633

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Have not ridden a pedal bike in almost 14 years I figure (I am 30 now) where I live in RI there is some great riding trails and I want to get back into it. Figuring just a CL deal would be fine for me.

I am a hard rider for sure. I snowboard in the winter and a big park/ big air rider. I need something I can beat the piss out of and do a lot of jumping and horsing around on. Not a just cruise through the woods type.

I know nothing about mountain bikes just the ones I rode when I was under 18 lol. I got on one a few months ago and wobbled all over the place! Was quite hilarious. I am 6'1 about 190ish, 34 inseam. Looked at CL a bit but again I don't know what I am looking at.

Any help appreciated!

Thank you,
Josh
Old 03-27-12, 09:21 PM
pablosnazzy

Bikes: rocky mountain SLAYER!!!! trek, voodoo, surly, spot, bianchi, ibis

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
at 6'1" you probably need a 20" or more bike, x large frame.....fit and comfort are your main priorities....if the bike doesn't fit you or isnt comfy, it doesn't matter how "great" the bike is, it's useless to you. east coast you can get away with hardtail, full suspension is nice, but not mandatory....brand new, any full suspension worth anything will start at about $1700, any hardtail worth anything will start at around $500...

good luck, have fun
Old 03-28-12, 09:11 AM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You didn't post something important... your price range.

If you are serious about mountain biking... Look at a Santa Cruz Superlight. Speedgoat.com has both the 26 and 29 versions of the bike. Depending on the kit, will run you between $1500 - 2000.

The goodness about the Superlight is its simplicity... its a single pivot suspension system so not that much can go wrong. I've had ne since 2006 and have had nothing but great rides on it. I just bought a new 2012 and love the bike. Components are good on the built up bikes and can be easily upgraded as you have the time and money.

Being a "newbie" buying bikes... please watch out for a CL's "deal"... I just went through that with a friend and many bikes were posted overpriced and questionable value. If you do CL, research components, the bike you are interested in and ask lots of questions. The owner (if the bike is not stolen) should know where the bike has been maintained, when it was maintained, where it has been ridden etc.

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 03-28-12, 10:00 AM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Would suggest that if you have been out of Mountain Bikes for 14 years, go to a good bike shop, and get one from them.

MTB's have changed beyond recognition in the last 14, year, even in the last 5, putting the same model from 2000 and 2012/3 side by side and you will be able to see multiple differences.

There are many more types than 14 years ago now, FS, HT, 26", 29", 650b, XC, AM, DJ, DH etc

From the type of riding you have described, any 2nd hand / CL bike will be pre-wrecked, and you will spend time and money on parts replacement, at least if new, you have warranty / know you are starting with new parts. A good bike shop will be be able to advise what is being used locally, and is appropriate for the local trail conditions, and give you afterservice you don't get with CL.
Old 03-28-12, 11:21 AM
scyclops
dont make me get the belt

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you are mechanically inclined, are able to recognize worn out / damaged components, and are willing to invest in some basic bike tools, CL is fine. Otherwise, go LBS.
Old 03-28-12, 11:44 AM
SlimRider
Banned

Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome to Bike Forums, Chowda633!

What's the upper limit of your budget?

Last edited by dminor; 03-28-12 at 12:51 PM.
Old 04-01-12, 03:45 PM
specbill
Riding Heaven's Highwayson the grand tour

Bikes: '10 C'Dale Tandem RT2. '07 Trek Tandem T2000, '10 Epic Marathon MTB, '12 Rocky Mountain Element 950 MTB, '95 C'dale R900, "04 Giant DS 2 '07 Kona Jake the Snake, '95 Nishiki Backroads

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pamestique....what is the weight on your new SC Superlight? Size?

sorry guys, I'm not trying to hi-jack this thread.

Bill J.
Old 04-01-12, 06:49 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 28 Posts
chowda633, try riding with as many freinds as possible on borrowed bikes. Try to get the feel of the size and type of bike you might like. There's some good advice being shared here, but I've run into folks that were turned off to mountain biking because they spent a ton of money at a shop only to find out they didn't like the type or size of the bike they bought and won't try again.
Something to consider. If you spend some time on Craigslist, this forum and search on ebay, you can get a good education on what used bike prices are. Then buy a used bike that is your size or close, look for one that's a good, reasonable price. Ride it a while, determine what you like and don't like. Now you're ready to move to your first new bike and you can sell the used bike for what you paid or close to it. I'd keep your first bike simple if it's used, like a hard tail. There's less to go wrong.
One thing to consider about a mountain bike that many folks overlook. The fork can cost as much as an entire new bike. If you go used, check out the fork as much as possible. If looking at a new bike, ask about the fork. If the sales person does not explain the differences adequately, go to another shop. After buying two new bikes, I finally realized I had to upgrade the fork to top level model for me to really enjoy the sport.
BTW, you may want to check out Callahan state park in Framingham MA, about an hour from your location. Some really awesome climbs and rock gardens there. There's one climb I have yet to conquer. That's this years goal.
Old 04-01-12, 07:03 PM
cryptid01
one less horse

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chowda633
I am a hard rider for sure. I snowboard in the winter and a big park/ big air rider. I need something I can beat the piss out of and do a lot of jumping and horsing around on.
There are a hundred bikes better suited to your needs than a SC Superlight.
Old 04-02-12, 12:00 PM
kenhill3
use your best eye

Bikes: '75 Bertin, '93 Parkpre Team 925, '04 Kona King Kikapu, '05 Bianchi Vigorelli

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Pablosnazzy-

* east coast you can get away with hardtail*

I'm curious what difference East coast makes in choice of HT vs. FS.

I've not ridden in the East so I have no basis of experience to judge this.
Old 04-03-12, 11:15 AM
junkyard
Fourth Degree Legend

Bikes: 2005 Kona Cinder Cone & 2010 Cannondale SuperSix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd start with a PCP visit and a physical to make sure you can handle the gnarliness you are potentially entering.
Old 04-07-12, 07:51 PM
BigRedSnackFoam

Bikes: Specialized Allez Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kinda curious myself being an east coaster...

Originally Posted by kenhill3
Pablosnazzy-

* east coast you can get away with hardtail*

I've not ridden in the East so I have no basis of experience to judge this.
Old 04-08-12, 06:06 AM
simonaway427

Bikes: 2010 S1, 2011 F75X

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Chowda, I'm in the same boat.

I haven't ridden single track since high school on a old steel Concorde with 300LX. I'm 35 now.

I'm a road/cx guy with quite a few races under my belt, but wanted to get back into MTB. Went on a group ride the other day on a borrowed Cannondale 1FG (single speed) that was blinged out with a World Cup Rock Shox fork, tubeless...the works. I had a blast.

I'm looking to buy a Trek Superfly AL 29r. Took one out yesterday and was very impressed. Probably pick it up monday and start riding!!
Old 04-09-12, 03:10 PM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by specbill
Pamestique....what is the weight on your new SC Superlight? Size?

sorry guys, I'm not trying to hi-jack this thread.

Bill J.
about 28 lbs. I lighten it up abit with different components.

This is a great cross-country bike but as Cryptid pointed it's not suited for someone who likes to hauk off rocks and other jumps... you need to look for an all mountain or down hill rig if you like to ride hard. My bike is suited best for climbing and good but not gnarly singletrack.

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 04-09-12, 04:12 PM
dminor 
Moar cowbell

Bikes: Bike list is not a resume. Nobody cares.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by kenhill3
West Coaster goes east and wishes he'd brought his beach cruiser; East Coaster goes west and wishes he'd brought his O2 and a parachute.