Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Looking for a nice Hardtail....26 or 29?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-12, 02:20 PM
Epicus07

Bikes: See Signature.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 5 Posts

I'd love to get into mountain biking and i'm shopping around for a bike. I have about $700 and am looking on CL for a decent 29er with disc brakes and a lockout front suspension.

I plan to mostly ride XC with occasional trails. I don't see DH in my future so i'm avoiding the full suspension rides.

Is it worth it to hold out for a 29er or should i just go for a nicely upgraded 26?

Thanks
Old 05-26-12, 07:26 PM
hybridbkrdr
we be rollin'

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 24 Posts
650b
Old 05-26-12, 07:38 PM
pablosnazzy

Bikes: rocky mountain SLAYER!!!! trek, voodoo, surly, spot, bianchi, ibis

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
how tall are you? tall guys (6 feet and above) like the 29ers, more proportional. this is a general statement. if you are less than 6 feet, i would get a really really nice 26" bike. unless you really want a 29, then go for that.
Old 05-26-12, 10:33 PM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 23 Posts
If I were you and you're not really tall, I'd just get the bike you can get a good deal on with better components. I'd MUCH rather ride a 26" with XTR,XX, etc than a 29" with Acera/X3, etc.
Old 05-26-12, 11:42 PM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Epicus07
I'd love to get into mountain biking and i'm shopping around for a bike. I have about $700 and am looking on CL for a decent 29er with disc brakes and a lockout front suspension.

I plan to mostly ride XC with occasional trails. I don't see DH in my future so i'm avoiding the full suspension rides.

Is it worth it to hold out for a 29er or should i just go for a nicely upgraded 26?

Thanks
I'm not sure Id use 6 ft as a break point but I agree if you are a smaller, lighter rider you might prefer a 26er. There is a little weight penalty on a 29er, and even a 17" frame seems fairly big. If you have a $700 budget you might as well get your 26er or 29er from Bikes Direct.
Old 05-26-12, 11:59 PM
3speed

Supporting local bike shops or local people is pretty cool too...
Old 05-27-12, 06:58 PM
vincavinz

Bikes: 1984 Club Fuji, 1970 Schwinn Continetal, 90's Roadmaster ATB, 2003 Raliegh C40

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speed
Supporting local bike shops or local people is pretty cool too...
+1

That way you can see what your buying and you don't have to worry about assembly.
Old 05-27-12, 11:20 PM
Epicus07

I think i'm going to go the way of the devil and do BD.

The specs on this ride are pretty fantastic for $900
https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...9_x7.htm#specs

If i decide i don't like the frame I could always transfer everything over to a Salsa Mariachi or something and still come out with a better spec for less money.

I'm looking at getting my girl a Kona Mahuna at my LBS.

I don't mind the assembly at all and the much better components for the same price is pretty appealing. A significantly better fork and component group seems more noticeable than a "nicer" aluminum hardtail frame.

Is that logic sound? or am I better off with a more reputable name like Kona and a lesser fork?

Thanks for the advice.

E
Old 05-28-12, 07:30 AM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 28 Posts
I'd hold out for the Kona, but there will be a legion of those who swear by BD bikes. I'd say it's probably your preference.
Old 05-28-12, 07:39 AM
ncfisherman

Bikes: Canfield Yelli Screamy, Pivot Mach5, Specialized Roubaix, '65 Hercules, '79 Schwinn Stingray Lil Chic, '68 Schwinn Stingray Fastback, '89 Specialized Allez Epic, '86 Battaglin World Champion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Epicus07
I think i'm going to go the way of the devil and do BD.

The specs on this ride are pretty fantastic for $900
https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...9_x7.htm#specs

If i decide i don't like the frame I could always transfer everything over to a Salsa Mariachi or something and still come out with a better spec for less money.

I'm looking at getting my girl a Kona Mahuna at my LBS.

I don't mind the assembly at all and the much better components for the same price is pretty appealing. A significantly better fork and component group seems more noticeable than a "nicer" aluminum hardtail frame.

Is that logic sound? or am I better off with a more reputable name like Kona and a lesser fork?

Thanks for the advice.

E
If you're cool with not having any local support for the bike, I'd say go for it. That's a whole lot of bike for the money. I've never purchased a bike from BD, but I think they are a great value for certain people.

I poked around a little on BD and found this bike: https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...antom29_x9.htm. It's a couple hundred more, but you get a lot more for that extra $200. The main difference for me would be the fork - the Reba comes with the motion control damper, which is much better than the Turnkey(TK) damper found on the Recon. The Reba will also be lighter(depends on the particular specs, which are not listed - Reba should be around 4lbs) and from the photos the Reba appears to have a thru-axle and the Recon does not(this makes a huge difference, especially when considering longer 29er forks). Both bikes would be great starters, but I see this one as a more upgrade proof bike.
Old 05-28-12, 09:00 AM
Zephyr11
Pint-Sized Gnar Shredder

Bikes: '09 Jamis Komodo, '09 Mirraco Blend One, '08 Cervelo P2C, '08 Specialized Ruby Elite, '07 Yeti AS-R SL, '07 DMR Drone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One of the biggest problems that I see with BD is that you don't have the opportunity to try the bike out beforehand. Every bike feels and rides a little bit differently, and the frame geometry is a big part of that. The best bike on paper might not be the best bike when you ride it (been there, done that, not online but thankfully with a bike that I tested out and immediately decided against, despite the specs and price being right).
Old 05-29-12, 01:56 AM
3speed

^ Another good point, even if you're not into the moral standards/societal support aspect of buying from a LBS vs. BD(or similar). There's a reason many people swear by certain brands. Different brands tend to go with different geometry theories. Sucks to be you if you spend hundreds/thousand+ on a BD bike and find out it doesn't work for you or your body geometry. And is the assembly, finding out the frame isn't for you, finding a frame you like, price of new frame, swapping everything over, and then dialing in the new frame worth more than buying a local bike and having shop support on top of it? If your BD frame cracks or your fork has a defect, good luck getting a manufacturers warranty on that. Maybe they would replace the frame, I don't know, but I have heard of problems with forks on BD bikes and people having a lot of trouble getting it warrantied. LBS tend to take care of such things pretty easily, though.
Old 05-29-12, 06:57 AM
ncfisherman

Bikes: Canfield Yelli Screamy, Pivot Mach5, Specialized Roubaix, '65 Hercules, '79 Schwinn Stingray Lil Chic, '68 Schwinn Stingray Fastback, '89 Specialized Allez Epic, '86 Battaglin World Champion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with that, if the testing is done on local trails and not just a quick lap, but a nice long ride(s). You can only really gain so much from the parking lot test ride - I've had several bikes that felt great for a short ride, but didn't work out over the long haul. I've had other bikes that felt awkward at first, but have really grown to love how they ride. When it comes down to it, you really have to put some miles in on different bikes to find out what suits you best. Whatever you end up with will be a good starting point, whether through the LBS or BD.
Old 05-29-12, 02:20 PM
Epicus07

I test rode a bike locally, read a lot of reviews and am trying to get one at a great price on Ebay. I'll update you guys if I win it. Not a BD bike and much nicer for the same price
Old 05-30-12, 10:33 AM
junkyard
Fourth Degree Legend

Bikes: 2005 Kona Cinder Cone & 2010 Cannondale SuperSix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roccobike
I'd hold out for the Kona, but there will be a legion of those who swear by BD bikes. I'd say it's probably your preference.
Yeah, pretty sure they get a cut of the sales.
Old 06-01-12, 11:30 AM
Epicus07

I'll probably look like a huge idiot poser.

I bought a nearly new 2011 Niner MCR - Rockshox Reba RL, Shimano SLX Drive/XT rear, Avid Elixer 3, Thomson Elite seatpost and DT Swiss wheels.
I was looking at 29ers in the $900-$1200 range and figured it would be worth an extra $200 to have a really nice ride.
Can't wait to hit the trails.

Thanks for your help guys!
Old 06-02-12, 07:10 AM
ncfisherman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good choice. I have a MCR and it's a great frame.
Old 06-02-12, 08:48 AM
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
Niner MCR and set up well, you got the best of both worlds. Used pricing and modern technology. Patience worked well for you.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.