Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How much is my bike worth?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-12, 06:41 AM
siggy2xc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

2009 Trek Madone 6.5 with all Campagnolo record components

Attached Images
Old 09-20-12, 07:00 AM
IthaDan 

Bikes: Click on the #YOLO

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
couple grand?

Shimano : Click :: Campy : Snap :: SRAM : Bang
Old 09-20-12, 07:50 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2966 Post(s)
Liked 3,045 Times in 1,553 Posts
Originally Posted by IthaDan
couple grand?
I agree it may be worth a couple grand but like anything else what it is worth and what it can actually sell for are two different things.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 09-20-12, 08:01 AM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
...what it can actually sell for are two different things.
Not quite. What you can sell it for determines its worth.
Old 09-20-12, 08:53 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2966 Post(s)
Liked 3,045 Times in 1,553 Posts
Originally Posted by Looigi
Not quite. What you can sell it for determines its worth.
You need to spend more time in the C&V apprasail threads where most of them open with...

"I just bought this XXXXXXX what is it worth?"

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 09-20-12, 09:13 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 278 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by siggy2xc
2009 Trek Madone 6.5 with all Campagnolo record components

Why are you asking how much YOUR bike is worth? Did you spend money on it? How could you not know its worth? Is it yours or did you steal it and trying to off load? This is shadier than a solar eclipse!
Old 09-20-12, 09:33 AM
IthaDan 

Originally Posted by tagaproject6
Why are you asking how much YOUR bike is worth? Did you spend money on it? How could you not know its worth? Is it yours or did you steal it and trying to off load? This is shadier than a solar eclipse!
Slow your roll homie. It's upgrade season, seems pretty plausible to me that a rider with a 4 year old bike might want to know what kind of budget he's working with (after selling/trading in his old bike) for a shiny new toy.

Old 09-20-12, 09:58 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 2,215 Times in 1,488 Posts
The best answer is looking at CL and ebay. Opinions here don't matter but what people are buying and selling for do. Maybe the OP did already and doesn't like the answers. But it's tough spending big dollars on a bike and seeing it go for 30 - 40% of what you paid three years later
Old 09-20-12, 10:08 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,359 Times in 865 Posts
Depreciation happens.. flawless carbon frame? just replaced drivetrain?

condition and Wear & Tear matters ..
Old 09-20-12, 04:25 PM
siggy2xc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just always have people asking me how much it's worth, and I'm never quite sure since I basically inherited it. Frame doesn't have a scratch on it and it's only been ridden about 1000mi.
Old 09-20-12, 04:55 PM
Aeolis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
About 2 grand id say.
Old 09-20-12, 05:15 PM
DieselDan

Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.

Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'd say $3000 since you have Campy Record, assuming a full Campy gruppo (shifters, brakes, wheels, crank, derailluers, bottom bracket, maybe pedals and seatpost), and in the right market.
Old 09-20-12, 05:46 PM
Flying Merkel

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
About 1/3 of what you have in it. Bikes depreciate like used Christmas trees.
Old 09-20-12, 07:26 PM
GrandaddyBiker

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Flying Merkel
About 1/3 of what you have in it. Bikes depreciate like used Christmas trees.
That is why none of my 5 bikes (even the old ones) are for sale. They are worth more to me than what I can get for them.
Old 09-21-12, 01:42 AM
commo_soulja

Bikes: are fun to ride

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
You need to spend more time in the C&V apprasail threads where most of them open with...
I highly doubt a 2009 Trek would be considered neither "Classic" nor "Vintage". Nice bike though...
Old 09-21-12, 05:00 AM
CraigB
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It's worth $250 and is obviously the wrong size for you. I'll do you a favor and take it off your hands.

Old 09-21-12, 05:56 AM
siggy2xc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DieselDan
I'd say $3000 since you have Campy Record, assuming a full Campy gruppo (shifters, brakes, wheels, crank, derailluers, bottom bracket, maybe pedals and seatpost), and in the right market.
Seatpost is shaped to where the only one you can use is Trek's, pedals are Shimano SPD. Everything else is Campagnolo.

It's worth $250 and is obviously the wrong size for you. I'll do you a favor and take it off your hands.
Haha it is actually just a little big for me!
Old 09-21-12, 07:10 AM
IthaDan 

FWIW, MSRP on that bike with full DuraAce was around $6k, tack on $500 for the price difference to record, and you're at $6500 for the bike 4 years ago. https://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...e#.UFxlnEJN5R0

Depends on how you're looking to sell it, but I would imagine you could get $2.5k on craigslist if you're patient, or possibly more than $3k on ebay if you make the ad appealing and take a lot of pictures.

That being said, the madone frame was just updated in a way that will make it very obvious to those that must have the latest and greatest that this is an older frame (rear brake has been moved to the chainstays)- which will bring the value down.

Bikes up at the tip top of the market depreciate like cars at the top of the market- precipitously. The manufacturers are keen on changing the colors or the design just enough that it's obvious what year your bike is, and to the fickle, gear obsessed cyclist, that just won't work. Flip that on its head though, and you'll find a floor to the value as well. This bike, if the frame stays solid, will never depreciate below ~$1500 because of what it is.

Old 09-21-12, 08:12 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Originally Posted by IthaDan
Slow your roll homie. It's upgrade season, seems pretty plausible to me that a rider with a 4 year old bike might want to know what kind of budget he's working with (after selling/trading in his old bike) for a shiny new toy.
It is plausible, but highly improbable, homie. If you have the means to buy a Madone with a full Campagnolo Record or any bike that is not exactly entry level, you will have an idea of its worth. Someone opting for a Campy gruppo on their bike is usually indicative of a cyclist who does not settle for what is on the showroom floor. They either put the bike together or had an LBS put it together for them. Someone like that WILL know what their bike is worth. And as evidenced by the OPs reply below, he had no hand in its purchase. No longer shady, but answers the question why he does not know its value/worth.

Originally Posted by siggy2xc
I just always have people asking me how much it's worth, and I'm never quite sure since I basically inherited it. Frame doesn't have a scratch on it and it's only been ridden about 1000mi.
Nice hand-me-down! Enjoy the bike and know that it is worth a lot. Its value will be determined by how much riding you do on it

If you are selling, you really won't get any where near the original MSRP. People spending coin on high end bikes will not really buy used unless it is a real bargain. Then you have to contend with the fear of carbon asplodes-aphobia buyers.

Last edited by tagaproject6; 09-21-12 at 08:16 AM.
Old 09-21-12, 09:05 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,576 Times in 1,064 Posts
Originally Posted by CraigB

Not worth a dime to me, because I prefer to ride full fendered bikes with IGH and coaster brakes. I'd offer $10 just to help out a bicycling comrade and I'm a nice guy.

Good luck finding someone who does value such bikes and wants to shell out whatever the OP thinks is right.
Old 09-21-12, 09:13 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1593 Post(s)
Liked 1,027 Times in 576 Posts
MSRP on that bike with full DuraAce was around $6k, tack on $500 for the price difference to record, and you're at $6500 for the bike 4 years ago.

I know a couple folks with similar bikes and they didn't pay anything near MSRP when they bought them new. I suspect the MSRPs on Madones may be inflated to give dealers more room to 'cut deals.'
Old 09-21-12, 09:40 AM
tagaproject6

Originally Posted by jon c.
MSRP on that bike with full DuraAce was around $6k, tack on $500 for the price difference to record, and you're at $6500 for the bike 4 years ago.

I know a couple folks with similar bikes and they didn't pay anything near MSRP when they bought them new. I suspect the MSRPs on Madones may be inflated to give dealers more room to 'cut deals.'
How much room do you think they are allowed?
Old 09-21-12, 12:30 PM
IthaDan 

Originally Posted by tagaproject6
It is plausible, but highly improbable, homie. ...blah blah blah... No longer shady, but answers the question why he does not know its value/worth.
So he explained himself and he's good to go. Let's say he hadn't made that post and just dropped off the op and moved on like so many newbies do? What would you have done about it? Oh yeah, NOTHING. I don't see what's even to be gained by calling someone a thief unless THEY explain to YOU about why it is they have this bike. I'll never understand the narcissism that causes a person to insert themselves into scenarios that have nothing to do with them.

Originally Posted by jon c.

Well no crap, got a better idea of figuring out what it cost new? It's a hard figure. It's an upper limit for sure, but it's a hard dollar amount to work from.

Old 09-21-12, 12:34 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,359 Times in 865 Posts
Take it to a Bike shop and put it on consignment.. they will sell it and take a % for the effort.
the LBS, will know local market .. some places are higher than others
depending on the relative ridership and average wealth of the citizens.
Old 09-21-12, 12:45 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 2,215 Times in 1,488 Posts
Originally Posted by DieselDan
No way. The 2013 goes for $6,600 with Ultegra Di2. A four year old bike with CR is what others say - 1/3rd of the original price. Nobody will pay half price for a 4 year old bike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.