Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Motorist slapped with $750,000 lawsuit

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-12, 10:07 PM
Bander
Son of Fred

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

A reckless motorist hit a cyclist in my hometown during an unsafe pass, causing several broken bones and knocking the cyclist unconscious. The motorist plead guilty to failure to yield right of way, and was only punished with $92 (!) in fines. Which I don't understand, because you get fined more than that for speeding or littering without causing serious harm to someone.

https://hamptonroads.com.nyud.net/201...over-collision

The cyclist, Steven Hendricks is now suing for $750,000 in damages. I don't know him, but I can only imagine that this is in some measure to see at least some justice in this case. $92 for mowing someone down with your car is ridiculous.
Best wishes to Mr. Hendricks.
Old 09-24-12, 11:04 PM
Gojohnnygo.
Burn-em Upus Icephaltus

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hope he gets 20 million
Old 09-25-12, 07:10 AM
silmarillion

Bikes: 2012 Cinelli Mystic Rat, Nashbar CX

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm no lawyer, but I think it will be hard to reward punitive damages simply because someone failed to yield right of way. It's obvious that the traffic court thought little of it with such a small fine from the bench.

$750.000 maybe to cover medicals and long term medical care pain suffering, that kind of thing.

I hope the guy is successful. Sometimes the only way to force change is to make people/ins companies pay for damages. Especially when someone suffers a loss and time loss from work.
Old 09-25-12, 07:12 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
While I usually dont like court cases like this, but a $92 fine in criminal court is totally out of line. In this case I hope the cyclist wins his case for justice.
Old 09-25-12, 07:54 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13659 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
This is what happens when the laws have no teeth and cyclists are forced to use civil trials to achieve justice.

How many times have we discussed here that there is no penalty for killing a cyclist... that the family is expected to bring a civil suit...

No deaths occurred here, but again, did the laws give justice to the cyclist for the actions taken by the errant motorist?
Old 09-25-12, 08:03 AM
iconicflux
Fredly

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker w/ SRAM Rival, & 36H 38's, Late 70's Santana Tandem w/ Double Diamond frame

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd much rather the laws be made self policing and the burden of proof being the preponderance of the evidence.

Originally Posted by genec
This is what happens when the laws have no teeth and cyclists are forced to use civil trials to achieve justice.

How many times have we discussed here that there is no penalty for killing a cyclist... that the family is expected to bring a civil suit...

No deaths occurred here, but again, did the laws give justice to the cyclist for the actions taken by the errant motorist?
Old 09-25-12, 08:55 AM
silmarillion

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by genec
Agreed, but the cyclist has suffered a loss. He will be financially responsible for the medical bills until the suit is settled. I find it hard to believe that the driver involved will feel enough sting to serve as a lasting impression that you have to be careful at all times. His/Her ins company will, but it's likely they won't raise his/her premiums unless a large settlement is awarded.

This is one of the reasons that many states are implementing the 3ft law. The violation for hitting a ped or a cyclist is going to hit ya in the pocketbook, and then a civil court has no problem awarding punitive damages for breaking a law that has no gray area. Ambiguity in traffic laws weigh so heavily against the cyclist in many of the cases I have heard of...
Old 09-25-12, 11:54 AM
GrandaddyBiker

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gojohnnygo.
Hope he gets 20 million
What if the driver has a mortgage on his home and just survives pay check to pay check. That description fits millions of people. The insurance company will pay the maximum of the insured’s coverage and then walk away. I promise you the lawyers have already looked at the defendant’s ability to pay and are already asking for more than they expect to get.

How about the innocent members of the drives family? Should they suffer the consequences of a massive lawsuit that the driver cannot pay? Remember this was an accident. Which one of us can say we will never have an accident where we are at fault?

Was the driver's fine too small? Yes it was. How would a big fine have helped the cyclist?

Should the cyclist get paid for all of his losses and some extra for his pain and suffering? Yes he should.

Last edited by GrandaddyBiker; 09-25-12 at 12:15 PM. Reason: added punctuation
Old 09-25-12, 11:57 AM
dougmc

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro, Strada

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rydabent
While I usually dont like court cases like this, but a $92 fine in criminal court is totally out of line
Is it really? I mean, the guy was convicted of a moving violation and so he had to pay a moving violation fine. It's not like the guy was accused of an actual crime (right or wrong, even if moving violations are legally misdemeanors in a certain place, they're still not normally treated as real crimes) that requires a large fine and jail time.

If you run a red light and cause an collision, you get a ticket for running a red light. You pass unsafely and cause a collision, you get a ticket for passing unsafely. Some places will double the fine or otherwise increase it if the infraction causes a collision, but either way ... the fine will be relatively small. (Now, $92 is smaller than any moving violation around here, but that's another matter.)

This money isn't intended to pay for the damages done in the collision -- and in fact, the victim won't see any of it. Had the court ordered $92 restitution, then that would be an outrage, but that's not what happened here.

If the victim wants compensation, he needs to push for that separately. The fact that the driver was cited helps his civil case (if it goes that far) considerably, and the fact that the penalty was small is in his favor as well (after all, this is $92 that the driver can't use to pay his civil judgement. $92 is no big deal, but if the guy was fined $10k, that would be a big deal, especially if the driver only had $10k total.)

Yes, his $10k bike was destroyed, but that's still cheaper than most cars.

I don't see this as really being that different from any typical auto on auto collision -- somebody is at fault, they might get a ticket (but often don't), and then the insurance companies work it out (or you don't get yours involved at all if there's no doubt that it wasn't your fault and the other insurance company isn't trying to screw you over) and maybe it goes to court if an agreement can't be made.
Old 09-25-12, 12:10 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1593 Post(s)
Liked 1,027 Times in 576 Posts
How about the innocent members of the drives family? Should they suffer the consequences of a massive lawsuit that the drive cannot pay?

I would honestly have no concern about that.

But it's true that in most cases you would settle for the Max insurance payment as most defendants will go bankrupt to avoid paying a judgement.
Old 09-25-12, 12:46 PM
dougmc

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by iconicflux
I'd much rather the laws be made self policing
What does that mean?

and the burden of proof being the preponderance of the evidence.
... I guess that would be fine, at least until you were the one put into prison for a crime you didn't commit.

If you think that putting a significant number of innocent people into prison is OK as long as it means some guilty people aren't acquitted, then a "preponderance of the evidence" burden of proof for criminal cases makes perfect sense.
Old 09-25-12, 12:48 PM
dougmc

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by GrandaddyBiker
What if the driver has a mortgage on his home and just survives pay check to pay check
Then it doesn't matter if the victim is awarded $20K, $700K or $20M -- he won't get it. "You can't get blood from a turnip" and all that.

If you get to pick who runs you over while you're riding your bike, pick a wealthy guy.
Old 09-25-12, 12:55 PM
EsoxLucius

Bikes: 2009 Giant Cypress DX 2009 Jamis Coda Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The term accident should no longer be in any traffic related vocabulary. These are crashes, pure and simple. An accident is something that cannot be reasonably foreseen or predicted and
cannot be avoided. It just happens. A crash, on the other hand, is the result of choices made and risks disregarded. The incident described was no accident as the driver was full of willful
intent in his actions that caused the CRASH.
Old 09-25-12, 07:06 PM
Don in Austin
Don from Austin Texas

Bikes: Schwinn S25 "department store crap" FS MTB, home-made CF 26" hybrid, CF road bike with straight bar, various wierd frankenbikes

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bander
A reckless motorist hit a cyclist in my hometown during an unsafe pass, causing several broken bones and knocking the cyclist unconscious. The motorist plead guilty to failure to yield right of way, and was only punished with $92 (!) in fines. Which I don't understand, because you get fined more than that for speeding or littering without causing serious harm to someone.

https://hamptonroads.com.nyud.net/201...over-collision

The cyclist, Steven Hendricks is now suing for $750,000 in damages. I don't know him, but I can only imagine that this is in some measure to see at least some justice in this case. $92 for mowing someone down with your car is ridiculous.
Best wishes to Mr. Hendricks.
You can ask for anything in a lawsuit. Doesn't mean much, because what is finally awarded is another matter entirely. Then, there is to what extent THAT amount is reduced on appeal. Finally, whatever the judgment is, its another matter how much, if anything, is ever collected.

Don in Austin
Old 09-26-12, 04:32 PM
northernlights

Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what an insult. the courts have declared open season on pedestrians and cyclists. if you're not driving you're a loser who deserves whatever happens to you and the cars have a right to run you down whenever they feel like it. the injustice system has made that clear time and again.
Old 09-26-12, 08:27 PM
silmarillion

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When the court decides to award damages, it's usually to pay the legal fee's, time loss from work, property loss, and medical expenses the victim incurs. The zing phrase is "By no fault of their own.."

When my family was struck in our car by a drunk driver, we incurred medical bills to the tune of $75,000 within a weeks time. My wife could not work for two years. Our car was totaled, and my then 7year old son had a head injury.

I won't discuss the settlement, but what I will say is I learned a lot about how the system works when someone suffers a loss at no fault of their own. Especially when the defendant was drunk at the wheel of a company vehicle.

We could have gone to court and may have won a ridiculous amount of money....We just wanted our losses to be settled. We had no desire to topple a company because of one persons bad decision.

I'm so thankful, it could have gone the other way.