Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Common sense duh!

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Common sense duh!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-12, 04:51 AM
mrevilandy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Common sense duh!

Hey guys, just wanted to see if I could start an entertaining thread on the things we cyclist have done in the past that we shouldnt have cause it was common sense. It can be anything, I'll start

I remember when I was younger I would lock up my bike to a post/rack while securing both wheels to the frame, I also had the bike chain attached from my seat to the frame. After a month of doing this I realize I have been leaving my multi tool still in one of my bike pouches as part of it being my fix a flat kit.

Another time as I was releasing my front tire to load up the bike into the suv my wife tells me to load up the kids. I put the wheel in the back, went inside where the bike was still, grabbed the munchkins, load them up and wife comes out and says lets go, and I did just that. 20 mins later I turned around, you know why lol.
Old 10-09-12, 07:32 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 513 Post(s)
Quoted: 7403 Post(s)
Liked 2,584 Times in 1,507 Posts
Common sense is an oxymoron. There is no sense that we all have in common.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-09-12, 07:46 AM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
I once read that common sense is neither common or sensible. After one employer told me to "just use common sense" and we would get along, they ended up being the worst employer of my working career, giving merit to what I read.
Old 10-09-12, 03:20 PM
Sawtooth
All Bikes All The Time

Bikes: Giant TCR 0, Lemond Zurich, Giant NRS 1, Jamis Explorer Beater/Commuter, Peugeot converted single speed

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2 cases of passing on the right at the wrong location:

1) In the storefront lane along a busy stripmall, I passed a car at speed on the right through a parking lot intersection. The car turned right (of course) and significant contact was made. It sucked. I was a moron.

2) On a rainy day on a very busy 4 lane arterial road I filtered the right side of a line of about 50 cars at significant speed. The one at the light turned right on top of me. I clipped the passenger mirror and went over the mini-van hood and landed on my back on sliding down the right lane of the arterial road just waiting to be run over. Luckily, traffic stopped (including the driver I had hit). Instead of a fight, she offered to give me a hug because "you clearly look like you need a hug". That surprised me and took the wind out of my sails. I accepted the hug. What the hell...beats a fight anyday.

Hard right on ice: Took a fast and hard 90 degree right on black ice. Slid across two lanes of traffic and hit the front wheel of a car stopped at the light waiting to turn right onto the road I had just exited. Tore my tights...bruised my ass.....felt like a jackass.

I have not had a crash like those in many years. Thank God I survived my learning curve (so far).
Old 10-10-12, 01:36 AM
jfowler85

Bikes: '93 911 Turbo 3.6

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
? You mean besides neurological perception, or besides the intercultural common sense of basic morality? Perhaps you mean common intuition.

An excellent expression of common sense:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAYL5H46QnQ

Last edited by jfowler85; 10-10-12 at 02:30 AM. Reason: My dad's not a phone...duuhhh!
Old 10-10-12, 03:59 AM
mrevilandy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sawtooth
2 cases of passing on the right at the wrong location:

1) In the storefront lane along a busy stripmall, I passed a car at speed on the right through a parking lot intersection. The car turned right (of course) and significant contact was made. It sucked. I was a moron.

2) On a rainy day on a very busy 4 lane arterial road I filtered the right side of a line of about 50 cars at significant speed. The one at the light turned right on top of me. I clipped the passenger mirror and went over the mini-van hood and landed on my back on sliding down the right lane of the arterial road just waiting to be run over. Luckily, traffic stopped (including the driver I had hit). Instead of a fight, she offered to give me a hug because "you clearly look like you need a hug". That surprised me and took the wind out of my sails. I accepted the hug. What the hell...beats a fight anyday.

Hard right on ice: Took a fast and hard 90 degree right on black ice. Slid across two lanes of traffic and hit the front wheel of a car stopped at the light waiting to turn right onto the road I had just exited. Tore my tights...bruised my ass.....felt like a jackass.

I have not had a crash like those in many years. Thank God I survived my learning curve (so far).
LOL I dont know what I would do if I was ready to start yelling and someone just gave me a hug like that.
Old 10-10-12, 06:36 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Originally Posted by dynodonn
I once read that common sense is neither common or sensible. After one employer told me to "just use common sense" and we would get along, they ended up being the worst employer of my working career, giving merit to what I read.
What your boss was really saying is, "Just think my thoughts, not your own, and we'll get along."

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 10-10-12, 07:12 AM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
What your boss was really saying is, "Just think my thoughts, not your own, and we'll get along."
Thanks to this one employer, I've since been able to translate Corpspeak much more proficiently.
Old 10-11-12, 06:43 AM
apollored

Bikes: Apollo Revival Mountain Bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Still going on bike rides even when I am feeling awful and going on a 44 mile ride when my knee was so sore I could barely put weight on it.

Had to hobble and push my bike up the hills and also these tunnels which are next to Manchester Airport, they have a cycle tunnel on each side and traffic tunnels.

The first time I went through them on my bike I didnt realise they had the cycle tunnels and went through the car one.

The only time I have been properly scared on my bike with cars flying past me at high speed and also the sound of the aircraft taxying over the top.

Never again I tell you, I was thinking I dont think I should be in here the cops are going to collar me big style but I got away with it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
MANT.jpg (7.1 KB, 31 views)
Old 10-11-12, 07:28 AM
thestoutdog
Non sibi sed patriae

Bikes: 2012 Surly Ogre (Shrek), 1985 Raleigh Kodiak, 1995 Specialized Hard Rock, 2009 Citizen Miami

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Funny thing happened to me during my recent move. I loaded up the hitch mounted rack (Trek 730 Multitrack, Schwinn Hollywood, and 2 Raleigh Kodiaks), headed north to my new house. I get to my new driveway and low-and-behold, the front wheel was missing from the larger of the two Kodiaks. Now, this is two parts funny and one part sad. First part, I usually run a lock or at least a bungie through the wheels for safety, strike one. Second funny is my wife followed me all the way on the trip, I mean she was directly behind me the whole way and never noticed a 27" wheel bouncing away, strike two. Now the sad part, it was an original front wheel and hub in real good condition and I was going to finish the restore and sell the bike as complete. Know anyone who wants to buy a mid 80's steel touring bike minus the front wheel? Take away from this is to use your common sense and spend the time securing your rides.

Walk More
Bike More
Hike More
Move More
Eat Less.

https://thestoutdog.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/TheStoutdog
Old 10-11-12, 11:04 PM
erig007

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
One funny thing happened to me.

After few minutes riding my bicycle I notice something moving on my back on my jacket at the neck level. I tell to myself it must be nothing, the wind or something else maybe.
But after 20 minutes riding this thing bothering me I stop and take off my jacket.
I then notice the little panties of my girlfriend sticked to the velcro of my jacket where we hide the hood.

So I went 20 minutes with the little panties of my girlfriend boucing with the wind on my back

Last edited by erig007; 10-11-12 at 11:08 PM.
Old 10-11-12, 11:26 PM
Bikepacker67
Banned

Bikes: LHT, Kona Smoke

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I disagree.
Humans have common instinctual cues (just like any other animal).
Those are senses.
Old 10-12-12, 03:16 AM
mrevilandy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by erig007
One funny thing happened to me.

After few minutes riding my bicycle I notice something moving on my back on my jacket at the neck level. I tell to myself it must be nothing, the wind or something else maybe.
But after 20 minutes riding this thing bothering me I stop and take off my jacket.
I then notice the little panties of my girlfriend sticked to the velcro of my jacket where we hide the hood.

So I went 20 minutes with the little panties of my girlfriend boucing with the wind on my back

LOL, if I saw a rider speeding down a road with panties hanging out like that, the first thought that comes to mind is panty thief.
Old 10-12-12, 04:08 AM
erig007

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Or maybe with bigger panties a kind of new superhero pantiesman
Old 10-12-12, 08:01 AM
MNBikeguy

Bikes: 05 Trek 5200, 07 Trek 520, 99 GT Karakoram, 08 Surly 1X1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not a commuting story, but one time I was in a rush to meet some friends for a weekend ride. Put the bike on top of the car with the tray and front fork lock. Drove to the meeting place, and realized I forgot to put the front wheel in the car.
"Uhhh.... you guys go on without me." I got crap about that for weeks!
Old 10-12-12, 08:09 AM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Tom, you know my old boss?
Old 10-14-12, 02:24 PM
jfowler85

Bikes: '93 911 Turbo 3.6

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikepacker67
I disagree.
Humans have common instinctual cues (just like any other animal).
Those are senses.
Right on the money. Sense that we share in common = common sense.
Old 10-24-12, 04:41 AM
mrevilandy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hate drivers that text. Today I witness a cyclist texting, going pretty slow, wobbly on the sidewalk (common here) right into a tree. Im sure he heard me laughing.
Old 10-24-12, 05:28 AM
chefisaac

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dynodonn
Thanks to this one employer, I've since been able to translate Corpspeak much more proficiently.
I hate corpspeak! lol
Old 10-24-12, 05:30 AM
chefisaac

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My duh moment was realizing, from another BF member, that I was patching tubes the wrong way for 20 years. Darn it!

I always thought the vulicnizing (sp?) fluid was glue. GRRRRRRR

And I didnt know about stitching either.
Old 10-25-12, 05:07 AM
mrevilandy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chefisaac
My duh moment was realizing, from another BF member, that I was patching tubes the wrong way for 20 years. Darn it!

I always thought the vulicnizing (sp?) fluid was glue. GRRRRRRR

And I didnt know about stitching either.
Seems like you were doing something effective if you were doing it "wrong" for 20 yrs lol
Old 10-25-12, 10:08 PM
cyclefreaksix

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Riding into work when I noticed that my right side handlebar plug was not fully seated. WITHOUT thinking I gave it a whack with the heel of my hand. The result was quite predictable, fortunately I was not seriously injured. My brand new saddle wasn't as lucky.
Old 10-26-12, 09:23 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 2,705 Times in 980 Posts
That reminds me. In college, hurrying to get to my first class in the morning, the brake lever on my bike fell off and was bouncing around in the spokes of the front tires. Do I stop? Heck no! Pedalling like a maniac I lean over the handlebars and try to pull the lever out. As I watched it turned perpendicular to the wheel, hit the fork and the wheel stopped dead. Faceplant on the sidewalk. OUCH! Live and learn.
Old 10-26-12, 09:29 AM
AlabamaCommuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rule number one (from my experiences) is to not try to fix anything on the bike while in motion.
Old 10-26-12, 09:46 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by AlabamaCommuter
Rule number one (from my experiences) is to not try to fix anything on the bike while in motion.
But we wouldn't embarrass you by asking what those experiences were, specifically.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.