Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bought a bike a few days ago on craigslist, owner didn't tell me shifters didn't work

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Bought a bike a few days ago on craigslist, owner didn't tell me shifters didn't work

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-12, 03:38 PM
Chrise510

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I bought it at night, test road it for about 30 sec, i tested shifting and other things but i didnt really check what gears it was on. Well the next morning i road it and found out that when shifting into higher gears the shifters wouldnt work unless i pulled on the cord and heard a click. Its not repairable so i gotta buy a new right shifter which is around $400 if i want decent new shifters.
I cant afford that so im thinking about reselling the bike, how much would i be able to get off it? I bought it for $750

Or is it worth repairing? I know Duratec is widely known in eu but im not sure if its worth spending another $300 on it. I think i would have rather bought a new bike

Last edited by Chrise510; 10-21-12 at 06:52 PM.
Old 10-21-12, 03:46 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12894 Post(s)
Liked 7,814 Times in 4,149 Posts
I'd try to pinpoint problem first. Could be as simple as new cable or housing. Might just need a WD-40 blast in the shifter.

Might also be the rear derailer where the problem lies.
Old 10-21-12, 03:48 PM
Chrise510

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
I'd try to pinpoint problem first. Could be as simple as new cable or housing. Might just need a WD-40 blast in the shifter.

Might also be the rear derailer where the problem lies.
I put lots of WD-40 on it already. Its the shifter because i took it off the bike and now its stuck on 10th gear and wont shift down. So its completely useless now wheres as before, the shifting was just horrible. I cant put it back on because i wouldnt be able to install the cable since its on the 10th gear
Old 10-21-12, 03:53 PM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
You probably paid too much for that, even if the shifters were working flawlessly. That said, now that you have it, you might as well just replace the shifter and ride it because the rest appears to be in good shape. I don't know where you got the $400 figure from, but a 6700 Ultegra right hand shifter should be less than $200, assuming that's what you have on the bike. Look at Ebay. You can also just put on a 105 shifter (or a used pair, those are cheap too), the ergonmics wouldn't match if you only get the right shifter but it would be much cheaper and perfectly functional, here's one on ebay-

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-STI-ST-5700-105-Right-Lever-Only-10s-Black-/160902497032?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2576894308

Another option is to just buy a pair of cheapie microshift levers, they work with Shimano 10 speed and they're less than 200 for a new pair
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-microSHI...item1e6b4433c3

Good luck.
Old 10-21-12, 03:55 PM
rdtompki

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
If you otherwise really like the bike, buy some lower-end (105) shifters and get on with the program.
Old 10-21-12, 03:56 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Seems like someone around here had a pair of 105s up for $130 just the other day. Can't remember if 10 or 9sp, tho.
Old 10-21-12, 03:56 PM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Originally Posted by Chrise510
I put lots of WD-40 on it already. Its the shifter because i took it off the bike and now its stuck on 10th gear and wont shift down. So its completely useless now wheres as before, the shifting was just horrible. I cant put it back on because i wouldnt be able to install the cable since its on the 10th gear
What exactly do you mean? The shifter itself is off the bike and "stuck on 10th gear"? Or the chain without any tension in the cable is on the 10th gear? What do you mean by 10th gear, the biggest or the smallest? Just want to be clear. If it worked but "was horrible" before you took the shifter off, it might only have needed a new cable or some adjustments.
Old 10-21-12, 03:59 PM
bobonker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Take it to an LBS. If it's a simple fix, they'll spot it pretty fast.

Bob
Old 10-21-12, 04:04 PM
Chrise510

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan333SP
What exactly do you mean? The shifter itself is off the bike and "stuck on 10th gear"? Or the chain without any tension in the cable is on the 10th gear? What do you mean by 10th gear, the biggest or the smallest? Just want to be clear. If it worked but "was horrible" before you took the shifter off, it might only have needed a new cable or some adjustments.
I removed the shifters off the bike because i wanted to spray more wd-40 in it without getting it all over the floor and also i was gonna take it to my LBS instead of bringing my whole bike along.

And what i mean is that i cant down(Big lever) because its already on the 10th gear(or 1st) and the little lever doesnt do anything when i click it. The only reason i believe it worked before was because of the tension of the cord but now that i removed the cord it wont work anymore and its stuck
Old 10-21-12, 04:04 PM
ruindd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bobonker

Bob
I second this. Based on your post, I don't think you have the experience to be able to really troubleshoot what's going on with the shifting. It might be a shifter issue, maybe a derailleur issue, and most likely just needs a tuneup.
Old 10-21-12, 04:05 PM
Chrise510

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bobonker

Bob
I guess ill try a different shop. I took my bike to a shop the day after i bought it and they said they couldnt really fix it but they made it better. And just 40 min ago i took it to a different one where the guy looked at it and said i should just buy one. thanks
Old 10-21-12, 04:07 PM
Chrise510

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seems like someone around here had a pair of 105s up for $130 just the other day. Can't remember if 10 or 9sp, tho.
If i end up keeping it, i think ill buy some 105s. The reason i didnt really want to was because my bike has full ultegra and i also heard 105 shifting isnt that great.
Old 10-21-12, 04:07 PM
clarkbre

Bikes: 1993 Trek Antelope 830, 1996 Trek Singletrack 930, 1995 Giant Innova, 2012 Surly Pacer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 22 Posts
I put lots of WD-40 on it already.
WD40 isn't a miracle spray. A little squirt might help clean/free things up but that's it.

Its the shifter because i took it off the bike and now its stuck on 10th gear and wont shift down.
The shifter or the bike?...Actually, it won't matter. The shifter down/up shifts because of tension caused by the derailluers. If the derailluers aren't putting any pressure on the cable, there's no reason for the shifter to click up or down.

Now, on the bike end, the reason the bike is stuck in "10th" gear is because that's the default position of the derailluer. With a properly mounted and adjusted shifter, derailleur, and cable, the shifter will pull the cable to shifter into a lower gear. When you shift the other way, the derailluer is pulling the cable out of the shifter and moving back to the default position.

So its completely useless now wheres as before, the shifting was just horrible.
Don't call it a total loss yet. Reinstall the shifter and cable and loosley connect it to the derailluer. If anything, have a shop look at it. Chances are very good that it's a slight adjustment that's cause things to be fouled up.

I cant put it back on because i wouldnt be able to install the cable since its on the 10th gear
Aqain, if it's in it's 10th gear, that might be the default position for the shifter and derailluer. Assuming it's the right side shifter, if it's on #10 and the chain and derailluer are on the smallest rear gear, it's completely ready to be installed, adjusted and tuned.

There are plenty of good resources online on shifter and derailluer adjustment. Watch/read through a few of those and then go out to your bike with a fresh start.

If you rode the bike last night (even for 30 seconds) and it shifted then, it will most likely shift again. From the sounds of it, it was just severely out of tune.

Also, don't do someone else a diservice by selling a problem that you have potentially made worse by taking it apart.
Old 10-21-12, 04:08 PM
IthaDan 

Bikes: Click on the #YOLO

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
First off, I don't trust anyone that takes the barrel adjust all the way of their RD to have a solid sense of what's fixable and what isn't.

You say it's stuck in 10th- were you shifting the bike with the cable to the RD detached? Or was this when the shifter was still on the bike and running to the RD. Is there a cable in the shifter right now- i.e. is the cable end wedged in there?

If the cable is still in the shifter, what happens when you pull on the cable and try to release cable (this is ultegra, right? the smaller paddle on the shifter)?

Shimano : Click :: Campy : Snap :: SRAM : Bang
Old 10-21-12, 04:09 PM
Chrise510

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan333SP
You probably paid too much for that, even if the shifters were working flawlessly. That said, now that you have it, you might as well just replace the shifter and ride it because the rest appears to be in good shape. I don't know where you got the $400 figure from, but a 6700 Ultegra right hand shifter should be less than $200, assuming that's what you have on the bike. Look at Ebay. You can also just put on a 105 shifter (or a used pair, those are cheap too), the ergonmics wouldn't match if you only get the right shifter but it would be much cheaper and perfectly functional, here's one on ebay-

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-STI-ST-5700-105-Right-Lever-Only-10s-Black-/160902497032?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2576894308

Another option is to just buy a pair of cheapie microshift levers, they work with Shimano 10 speed and they're less than 200 for a new pair
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-microSHI...item1e6b4433c3

Good luck.
The bike seemed like a good deal. Duratec is pretty well known in EU and the same model of the bike just a newer version sells for about $2k for just the frame. But maybe i did pay to much. I thought ultegra had to be worth around $400 used, and the frame would be at least 400 and it has $200 wheels so its about 1k worth maybe more.
Thanks for the link, i might consider buying the 105s
Old 10-21-12, 04:12 PM
Chrise510

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by IthaDan
First off, I don't trust anyone that takes the barrel adjust all the way of their RD to have a solid sense of what's fixable and what isn't.

You say it's stuck in 10th- were you shifting the bike with the cable to the RD detached? Or was this when the shifter was still on the bike and running to the RD. Is there a cable in the shifter right now- i.e. is the cable end wedged in there?

If the cable is still in the shifter, what happens when you pull on the cable and try to release cable (this is ultegra, right? the smaller paddle on the shifter)?
The cable isnt in the shifter anymore. I removed it to take it to my LBS and im not sure if its 10th gear or 1st gear but i cant put another cable inside because its shifted to the last shift. Im not sure if this makes sense.
Old 10-21-12, 04:13 PM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

If i end up keeping it, i think ill buy some 105s. The reason i didnt really want to was because my bike has full ultegra and i also heard 105 shifting isnt that great.
You heard wrong, 105 shifting when it is tuned properly is almost indistinguishable from Ultegra, especially if you're using the shifters with an Ultegra FD and RD. It's less expensive because it weighs more and in theory is not as durable, but in actual practice the weight difference is negligible and you won't wear the shifter out any time soon.

That said, take the current shifter to a good shop WITH the bike, and see if they can remount it and troubleshoot. It was probably just a cable tension issue to begin with before you took the shifter off.
Old 10-21-12, 04:15 PM
Chrise510

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by clarkbre
WD40 isn't a miracle spray. A little squirt might help clean/free things up but that's it.

The shifter or the bike?...Actually, it won't matter. The shifter down/up shifts because of tension caused by the derailluers. If the derailluers aren't putting any pressure on the cable, there's no reason for the shifter to click up or down.

Now, on the bike end, the reason the bike is stuck in "10th" gear is because that's the default position of the derailluer. With a properly mounted and adjusted shifter, derailleur, and cable, the shifter will pull the cable to shifter into a lower gear. When you shift the other way, the derailluer is pulling the cable out of the shifter and moving back to the default position.

Don't call it a total loss yet. Reinstall the shifter and cable and loosley connect it to the derailluer. If anything, have a shop look at it. Chances are very good that it's a slight adjustment that's cause things to be fouled up.

Aqain, if it's in it's 10th gear, that might be the default position for the shifter and derailluer. Assuming it's the right side shifter, if it's on #10 and the chain and derailluer are on the smallest rear gear, it's completely ready to be installed, adjusted and tuned.

There are plenty of good resources online on shifter and derailluer adjustment. Watch/read through a few of those and then go out to your bike with a fresh start.

If you rode the bike last night (even for 30 seconds) and it shifted then, it will most likely shift again. From the sounds of it, it was just severely out of tune.

Also, don't do someone else a diservice by selling a problem that you have potentially made worse by taking it apart.
The shifter is on what would be 10th gear, or maybe first gear. It would be on the biggest sized cog if it were on my road bike, not the 13t cog
I cant reinstall it because the place where u slide in the cord isnt accessible since its shifted and wont down shift to the point that i can add a new cable
Old 10-21-12, 04:16 PM
Chrise510

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll be back in 30ish min. Going to take it to a bike shop
Old 10-21-12, 04:20 PM
surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Caveat Emptor.
Old 10-21-12, 04:32 PM
eippo1
I like beans

Bikes: Tarmac Pro, Bianchi Zurigo, Raleigh Gran Sport, Fuji Del Rey, Ironman Centurion

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good luck, but bike shops usually do a much better job of troubleshooting when they have the whole bike. It's like taking your spleen out at the docs and then asking what's wrong with it. Absurd? Exactly.
Old 10-21-12, 04:41 PM
Chrise510

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm back, went to a bike shop but they are closed sundays, then i went to sportschalet but the guy was on break
Old 10-21-12, 04:44 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Probably a good thing that Sports Chalet guy wasn't at his post.
Old 10-21-12, 04:45 PM
Chrise510

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Probably a good thing that Sports Chalet guy wasn't at his post.
lol probably true
Old 10-21-12, 04:53 PM
clarkbre

Bikes: 1993 Trek Antelope 830, 1996 Trek Singletrack 930, 1995 Giant Innova, 2012 Surly Pacer

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 22 Posts
ok. making more sense now. so the shifter is in 1st and it wont shift back up to 10th because it doesn't have a cable and derailleur to tension the shifter back up through the gears.

so, at this point the shifter needs to be looked at and repaired to get it back into 10th gear position, install a cable and attach it to the derailleur.

the general idea for the rear is that the shifter pulls the derailluer into a lower gear and then the shifter releases the derailluer to its desalt position...10th gear.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.